Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

the point is that in 2022 in a Tony Khan owned company defending the title in the opening match isn't any kind of slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Integrated Houston posted:

Congratulations to all the serious professional wrestling fans in this thread for not making a "short reign" joke.

If Gresham thought he was going to be the face of ROH moving forward, he has quite an imagination, I guess. TK has about 30 bigger draws than him under contract right now, and you should probably try to earn your booker a dollar or two before expecting your creative vision to be considered. Maybe we missed out on an incredible story of Jonathan Gresham's rise to becoming a money-printing grapplehero in ROH and now that story can be told in a different promotion.

Like, I get that everybody hates their boss, but if yours says "I'm going to have white-hot babyface Claudio sell for you a bit on PPV," one answer you could also give is "hell yeah, that's going to be the most noteworthy match of my career so far"

I think the problem is that Tony Khan's ROH hasn't defined itself as its own thing yet. Right now, 90% of the identity is made on AEW programming.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Edward Mass posted:

I think the problem is that Tony Khan's ROH hasn't defined itself as its own thing yet. Right now, 90% of the identity is made on AEW programming.

And it’s very much going to be that going forward as long as they don’t have TV.

I don’t begrudge Gresham wanting a plan going forward since he would primarily be an ROH guy.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
There is only one way to solve this: bring in John Hennigan and rename him Johnny Gresham.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ThePariah posted:

There is only one way to solve this: bring in John Hennigan and rename him Johnny Gresham.

Johnny Honor.

Johnor.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

the point is that in 2022 in a Tony Khan owned company defending the title in the opening match isn't any kind of slight.

I think that's especially true given the level of build Briscoes vs FTR II had (a bunch), while Claudio vs Gresham came together like what, a couple weeks before the show? Now, if Jon wanted to complain about THAT, I'd be inclined to agree.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, this is the main thing. I hope we get a TV deal announcement soon and I'm excited to see a full split between the rosters and which new ROH regulars will take the belts off of the AEW regulars.

Colt Cabana TV Champ in 2022 please.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, this is the main thing. I hope we get a TV deal announcement soon and I'm excited to see a full split between the rosters and which new ROH regulars will take the belts off of the AEW regulars.

Colt Cabana TV Champ in 2022 please.

Yes please

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)
gresham cussed out TK when TK pointed out the octopus skeleton mask is dumb because octopuses don't have skeletons

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

they don't YET

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gresham calls fouls in pickup basketball games

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gresham, blocking you, eye level with your nuts "don't play if you're not gonna be serious"

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
the natural state of the successful wrestling promoter is to have half the industry hate your guts at any given time because it’s competitive, the number of slots and TV time is limited, and someone’s gotta lose. for everyone that comes in, someone’s gotta go. I’m not saying tony’s a dick or it’s good to be one, but this is just the halo effect wearing off. uncomfortable but…normal

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
tony's the boss. very much unlike mcmahon, his tastes shockingly align with much of the remaining posters on psp, but he's not there to give handouts, circumstances of the past couple of years notwithstanding, he'll pay up on talent that he thinks can make money for his business and he doesn't have to put up with those he doesn't get along with because the line behind them is a mile long

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'm fine with Gresham leaving if he doesn't think there's a spot for him in ROH/AEW and has different ideas about his character - he's an independent contractor and that's his call. I'm also fine with it because he is maybe the least charismatic wrestler on Earth and Claudio is a way better and more obvious choice to be world champ.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

he is maybe the least charismatic wrestler on Earth

Did you see the trios match? Gresham may not be a world beater but there's plenty of wrestlers who are less charismatic than him.

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
“It’s bullshit that much more talented wrestlers are allowed to have a bigger push than me” -Jon Gresham on the official Create Your Narrative dailymotion channel

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not sure if it has been posted but Tully did a prison ministry thing instead of DBD which is why he was written out. The Embassy Forever!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MotU posted:

That sounds like he values himself and his ideas. Weird to mark that as hard to work with, imo

Agreed completely

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Torch is saying Gresham is gone, that he had an altercation with Tony after losing the title and either he was given his release or Tony fired him.

ButcherWombat
Sep 28, 2021

Dacap posted:

Tony : “I know you’re a little angry, but there’s no reason to be so short with me! Now I know these plans went way over your head, but I assure you you’re well respected here and I hope with some time you can look up to me. You seem like a down to earth guy, so hopefully we can talk this through without any more of these micro-aggressions…”

"I think it's a bit short-sighted to leave on such short notice, but rest assured if you think a little about it and decide to return you won't have to limbo your way back in."

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010
I got invested pretty easily in Gresham, despite not having seen him before the first AEW/RoH PPV. Yet, it's hard to argue that I wouldn't rather see more than a dozen people from AEW alone lead a company over him. The angle he seemed to really want - trying to prove himself as the greatest technical wrestler in the world, and best ROH champion ever - would have required him to beat Bryan, Joe and Punk, and he sure isn't as immediately interesting as any of them.

Even though I knew it was unlikely, I was kind of hoping Moriarty was taking the title off of him on Rampage a couple of weeks ago.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Jonathan Gresham sizing up against Claudio gave me flashbacks to Taz going up against the Rock soon after his debut. Taz was great, one of my all-time favourites. But still, you put Taz in the ring with the Rock... it just doesn't work. And it's not just the size disparity, you can have smaller guys going up against bigger guys until the cows come home, but when your smaller guy's gimmick is UFC-style suplex machine or technical wrestling badass, that's when you've got a problem, because he has to completely dominate his opposition for the gimmick to have legs.

eldemiror
Feb 11, 2013
The amount of billionaire pandering that is going on in this topic is honestly disheartening.

I have always been a wrestling lurker here, and really enjoyed AEW's fanbase for being more progressive. However, ever since details of AEW's employee vs employer (okay, independent contractors, but you get the gist) dynamics have started to leak out, snarky remarks taking the side of AEW corporate have become the norm. I don't think it's mandatory to take a side, or to tell the world how little you care about the talent feeling overlooked because you personally think Gresham is boring. I also think that it's not mandatory to attach a "bad attitude" narrative to yet another POC talent, that by the way performed as expected and did not create a fuss for the live audience. If the match vs Claudio was a letdown (and it was for me), that was due to it being short in length , having a sudden ending after a slow start and featuring a champion that was not booked strongly enough during the match to make the win matter in the ring. Of course, Claudio's personal history and post-win celebration really elevated the whole thing for me as a whole, but i was still let down from a strictly in-ring perspective.

Personally , I think both the AEW and ROH products have kind of lost the thread since the beginning of the year. The match quality has remained excellent , but both the rhythm and direction of the ongoing feuds feel off. Of course injuries played a major part, but in a roster with such talent I feel like better things could have been improvised. I wonder if this unlucky first half of the year will have effects on the way Tony plans feuds, as i seem to recall that he has always been a big proponent of not having fully fleshed out plans b.

I loved the PPV as a whole , but I am uncertain about the future of this AEW-ROH, as the situation is quite confused from an organizational perspective

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Gresham calls fouls in pickup basketball games

its not their fault that he thought those were games where they'll pick him up to shoot baskets

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

eldemiror posted:

The amount of billionaire pandering that is going on in this topic is honestly disheartening.

It’s worse in the AEW thread where now all but a few are fully anti-labor (until the next Vince news drops)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Chris James 2 posted:

It’s worse in the AEW thread where now all but a few are fully anti-labor (until the next Vince news drops)

...what the gently caress are you talking about?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

eldemiror posted:

I have always been a wrestling lurker here, and really enjoyed AEW's fanbase for being more progressive. However, ever since details of AEW's employee vs employer (okay, independent contractors, but you get the gist) dynamics have started to leak out, snarky remarks taking the side of AEW corporate have become the norm. I don't think it's mandatory to take a side, or to tell the world how little you care about the talent feeling overlooked because you personally think Gresham is boring. I also think that it's not mandatory to attach a "bad attitude" narrative to yet another POC talent, that by the way performed as expected and did not create a fuss for the live audience. If the match vs Claudio was a letdown (and it was for me), that was due to it being short in length , having a sudden ending after a slow start and featuring a champion that was not booked strongly enough during the match to make the win matter in the ring. Of course, Claudio's personal history and post-win celebration really elevated the whole thing for me as a whole, but i was still let down from a strictly in-ring perspective.

Personally , I think both the AEW and ROH products have kind of lost the thread since the beginning of the year. The match quality has remained excellent , but both the rhythm and direction of the ongoing feuds feel off. Of course injuries played a major part, but in a roster with such talent I feel like better things could have been improvised. I wonder if this unlucky first half of the year will have effects on the way Tony plans feuds, as i seem to recall that he has always been a big proponent of not having fully fleshed out plans b.

I loved the PPV as a whole , but I am uncertain about the future of this AEW-ROH, as the situation is quite confused from an organizational perspective

thanks for lecturing us about which opinions we should have and express, please go back to lurking now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I won't be satisfied until Jonathan Gresham is toiling in the Dark mines 18 hours a day

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

eldemiror posted:

i personally fuckin love billionaires and think anyone who works for billionaires should do whatever they say without question

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

eldemiror posted:

what part is confusing?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

eldemiror posted:

I pretty much agree with all this, especially the "bad attitude" narrative part. Maybe it's true this time, maybe it isn't but drat it always being the first thing that comes out when a black wrestler leaves a company is no good.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

eldemiror posted:

Personally , I think both the AEW and ROH products have kind of lost the thread since the beginning of the year.

I agree that the RoH product lost the thread when the company closed down and lost all their media channels. I don't agree that it's an indictment on Tony Khan, who is trying to keep the wheels spinning and to rebuild the company in the span of a few months after buying it later in the spring.

As for AEW, it's kinda natural. The end of the year was the conclusion of the biggest storyline in wrestling, Hangman's chase. It coincided with Kenny Omega going away to rehab his numerous injuries. It's not terribly surprising that the storylines since haven't been as effective or noteworthy as Hangman's tale.

But Kenny's almost ready to come back, and that will almost definitely kick off the Elite vs Redragon war and a bunch of other simmering storylines. Especially considering how much they've had to reshuffle due to injuries I have to say it's kinda impressive how well AEW is doing this year.

THIS ALL BEING SAID. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Some storylines have kind of fallen by the wayside, but that's not an easy problem to fix. They have three hours of TV every week, and let's be honest, Rampage is very much the B show where not a lot of hugely important stuff happens. I have no idea what they can do about this.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

i personally fuckin love billionaires and think anyone who works for billionaires should do whatever they say without question

same

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Chris James 2 posted:

The problem with Vince isn’t that he is a billionaire, but that he is objectively a horrible person.
Just because someone is filthy rich doesn’t mean that the laborer is always in the right.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

We’re not talking about someone being fired/depushed for forming a union or standing up to harassment here. He got upset that he was dropping the belt, shouted at his boss and proceeded to half-rear end his match.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Hey I am siding with labor here, I want him to get the release he asked for! ! !

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
I’ll never forget all the notable Gresham moments such as

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rick posted:

I pretty much agree with all this, especially the "bad attitude" narrative part. Maybe it's true this time, maybe it isn't but drat it always being the first thing that comes out when a black wrestler leaves a company is no good.

These are things that have come up around him for months. It has come up regarding Jordynne Grace being his surrogate, issues with how he runs Terminus (flipping out on that ref) and was talked about last night when he came out in the arena when he came out without his octopus mask.

I found it amazing how Gresham will sometimes be held blameless on here for booking abusers and the like while his friend Jay Lethal is (often rightly) hated. But then sometimes Jay is accused of things on here that Gresham actually did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

But then sometimes Jay is accused of things on here that Gresham actually did!

I've only heard of Jay being accused of (multiple instances of) one thing, which is coercing sex from people in exchange for pushes or higher spots on the card. Is Gresham doing that or is there something else?