Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Is the Burroughs’ Barsoom cycle worth reading? I generally like pulp, Dying Earth, Lovecraft, etc.

GRRM edited a series a few years back called 'old mars' and 'old venus' that were modern homages to that era of adventure.

not all great, like most anthologies, but they scratched an itch for me

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/15849699-old-mars
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24891544-old-venus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Is the Burroughs’ Barsoom cycle worth reading? I generally like pulp, Dying Earth, Lovecraft, etc.

Yes based on liking those examples, just remember that so much pulp just borrowed wholesale from it and a lot of things will seem familiar. Definitely read the first three, the quality dips after that but they are still fun. There is a ton of action to keep the pace going. As the content was serialized at first, be prepared for the story beats to follow that style. There is less racism than Lovecraft, though Carter fought for the Confederacy and the Martian races are all divided by colors. They are pretty fast reads.

The first 5 are public domain in the US but I think all but the last book (which IIRC is just a few partial complete stories patched together by ERB's son) are public domain in Australia and if you are good with google you can figure that out. I was able to get them all within a year of haunting used book stores, and that was before a bunch got reprinted for the Disney movie. There's also the Venus series which is okay but not quite as inventive.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Possibly the only fantasy genre author more copied/more influential than JRR Tolkien was in the fantasy fiction genre is Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoom and his other fantasy series (Tarzan, Pellucidar, Land that Time Forgot, etc.) were outright copied so hard by other fantasy and scifi authors that there is a strong chance of you getting deja-vu when reading the original ERB Barsoom stories.

Discworld series: The earlier Discworld books are definitely funner to read than the Discworld books in the high teens and beyond for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the second biggest problem the John Carter movie had, after bad marketing, was that 90% of the coolest John Carter scenes had already been in Star Wars.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the second biggest problem the John Carter movie had, after bad marketing, was that 90% of the coolest John Carter scenes had already been in Star Wars.

That said, I know I really enjoyed the movie and was kind of sad there was no follow-up/sequel.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

pradmer posted:

The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/
This was real good, and I don't normally like zombies. Plotting and writing were both very solid.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Resuming my read at the 75% point of Accelerando by Charles Stross 3 or 4 years after last making progress. Here's hoping I don't get too confused.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FPyat posted:

Resuming my read at the 75% point of Accelerando by Charles Stross 3 or 4 years after last making progress. Here's hoping I don't get too confused.

This happens even if you read all of it on the same day.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kesper North posted:

This happens even if you read all of it on the same day.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #2) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2JK1S/

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

pradmer posted:

Memoirs Found in a Bathtub (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #2) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2JK1S/

I tried very hard to get through this. It's written like Monty Python meets Get Smart, without any of the funny bits. I understood the tone Lem was laying down, but it just goes on and on repeating the same theme and idea in different ways. Ultimately it makes a poignant point, but the repetition wasn't worth it to me.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

MartingaleJack posted:

I tried very hard to get through this. It's written like Monty Python meets Get Smart, without any of the funny bits. I understood the tone Lem was laying down, but it just goes on and on repeating the same theme and idea in different ways. Ultimately it makes a poignant point, but the repetition wasn't worth it to me.

It's the ultimate shaggy dog story

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Shah Gudio G. though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harold Fjord posted:

Shah Gudio G. though

The second time Atlantis sunk beneath the Waves.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Harold Fjord posted:

Shah Gudio G. though

The second time Atlantis sunk beneath the Waves.

I looked that up and was mildly disappointed that it was a 50s Asimov short story and not the tale of a white rapper's role in a disaster at Atlantis Paradise Island

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Started the Godmakers by Frank Herbert as a palette cleanser to the witcher series, since I'm at the Lady of the Lake and 20 hour long audiobook after I've already pumped through 6 this year, when I'm already behind my goal for the year, is just too long right now.

I haven't actually read a Frank H book before now (I tried reading dune as a kid and got bored to tears, haven't tried coming back to it recently to see if I still feel the same) and so far it's quite good!

Also cool, I can easily listen to these books at 1.4x which saves me some time.

Any suggestions for something...idk, popular, but say 7 hours long or less? I need to pump out some easy wins before I go back to these 20-50 hour long behemoths I have queued up

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

RDM posted:

This was real good, and I don't normally like zombies. Plotting and writing were both very solid.
Yeah, I just read this (The Girl with All the Gifts). Probably on,y the second zombie book I’ve enjoyed and finished. Not counting Matheson I guess.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Started the Godmakers by Frank Herbert as a palette cleanser to the witcher series, since I'm at the Lady of the Lake and 20 hour long audiobook after I've already pumped through 6 this year, when I'm already behind my goal for the year, is just too long right now.

I haven't actually read a Frank H book before now (I tried reading dune as a kid and got bored to tears, haven't tried coming back to it recently to see if I still feel the same) and so far it's quite good!

Also cool, I can easily listen to these books at 1.4x which saves me some time.

Any suggestions for something...idk, popular, but say 7 hours long or less? I need to pump out some easy wins before I go back to these 20-50 hour long behemoths I have queued up

Dawnhounds

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Remulak posted:

Yeah, I just read this (The Girl with All the Gifts). Probably on,y the second zombie book I’ve enjoyed and finished. Not counting Matheson I guess.

The movie is very good too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Remulak posted:

i read it this week too and it's pretty ftw but i liked zone one a little more. probably because it's even more ambiguous and hopeless.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I just finished A Desolation Called Peace, and I really enjoyed it, though I was frustrated that the main characters took forever to figure out the alien threat is a hivemind, despite it being a pretty easy inference.. There was something about the flow of the book that let me comfortably binge it, which I appreciated.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HopperUK posted:

They were written at the same time. Mike Carey also appeared in the movie as a zombie, if you keep an eye out.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Finished Inhibitor Phase and can't say I liked it too much. It felt like fanservice, unnecessary return to familiar places and faces one more time. Plot elements that felt like they were pulled out of pocket with minimal setup towards the end again.

Still, I didn't like Absolution Gap either, yet something made me pick this one up still. Probably because I read Pushing Ice a month back and it was much more enjoyable. Even Inhibitor Phase there were things to like really - the mood of sorts the Reynolds' Revelation Space universe of ruins is at this point, and hyperpigs. Some ideas and concepts that work when Reynolds doesn't drown them in words.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 26, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Finished the original Earthsea trilogy. I will pass on the last 3. The books are written in a very annoying way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Finished the original Earthsea trilogy. I will pass on the last 3. The books are written in a very annoying way.

Really? What about it gets on your nerves? I think the writing is amazing. I'm reading the third book now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mr Hootington posted:

The last 3 are written in a very different way, but if you're one of those strange beings who doesn't love LeGuin you might find them annoying also.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:eyepop:

holy poo poo I laughed out loud

Joke writes itself.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

HopperUK posted:

That young lady playing the title role deserves a great acting career. Teenager stealing the show against Glenn Close, goddamn.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tor's free ebook is The Border Keeper by Kerstin Hall

No idea if it is any good but it is free

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lunsku posted:

Finished Inhibitor Phase and can't say I liked it too much. It felt like fanservice, unnecessary return to familiar places and faces one more time. Plot elements that felt like they were pulled out of pocket with minimal setup towards the end again.

Still, I didn't like Absolution Gap either, yet something made me pick this one up still. Probably because I read Pushing Ice a month back and it was much more enjoyable. Even Inhibitor Phase there were things to like really - the mood of sorts the Reynolds' Revelation Space universe of ruins is at this point, and hyperpigs. Some ideas and concepts that work when Reynolds doesn't drown them in words.

Entirely agree, and for me the reason I picked this one up was because I thought he might correct the mistakes of Absolution Gap. Really disappointing to just see him make the exact same mistakes all over again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HopperUK posted:

Really? What about it gets on your nerves? I think the writing is amazing. I'm reading the third book now.

It has a sing-song or poetry style to it that annoyed me.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If you liked For All Mankind, try Hot Moon by Alan Smale, which has the same basic alt-history POD and premise. I'll absolutely shamelessly shill for this one since I'm listed in the Acknowledgements.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

HopperUK posted:

When I saw the movie I'd forgotten that it's a zombie story, so that scene at the beginning scared the ever-loving poo poo out of me.

But yeah, the film owns, the kid owns hard, and I love any music by Christobal Tapia de Veer. I use this track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Jt3N5sTCk) in my BitD game for whenever spooky ghost poo poo is going down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It has a sing-song or poetry style to it that annoyed me.

Ah fair enough. I love it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/GameDesignDan/status/1551833167677591552?s=20&t=Plhqj62SsqEQTRN1uJK6fw

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, it looks like Baen has collected versions of the Penric & Desdemona books available in both hardcover and ebook versions.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got my Paperwhite in today. I gotta say, for one listed as "Good" I cannot find a scratch or dent on this thing.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheCog posted:

I just finished A Desolation Called Peace, and I really enjoyed it, though I was frustrated that the main characters took forever to figure out the alien threat is a hivemind, despite it being a pretty easy inference.. There was something about the flow of the book that let me comfortably binge it, which I appreciated.

There's a Jack Vance novella called The Miracle Workers with the same twist. Despite living on the same planet for centuries, the humans haven't figured out that the aliens are a hive mind, and the aliens haven't figured out that the humans aren't a hive mind. There are some aspects of that story I like, but it's kind of a second-order idiot plot because of that aspect.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Got my Paperwhite in today. I gotta say, for one listed as "Good" I cannot find a scratch or dent on this thing.

Paperwhites are really great, just solid, all-around workhorses. I love the older model with the recessed screen yoi could lay face down. Didnt even need a cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Tor's free ebook is The Border Keeper by Kerstin Hall

No idea if it is any good but it is free

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

"Surreal picaresque adventure through 999 demon realms" sounds pretty good, I'll have to give it a shot.