Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lens flares seem like a big deal in still shots (that are taken specifically to highlight them) until you watch them in motion and they're totally unobtrusive.

Wolfsheim posted:

A movie can look really good and be really bad

That's like half of NWR's output

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know how many cool gamers are ITT but as one of like four good Star Wars games that exists sucks to see this shelved

Four? I'm pretty sure there were more than 4 "franchises" of good Star Wars games, never mind 4 good games across all the sub-franchises the games established over the years. The X-Wing games, Episode 1: Racer, the Rogue Squadron games, the Dark Forces games, the Jedi Academy games, the RTS games like Rebellion, Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War, the older Pandemic Studios Battlefront games, the LEGO Star Wars games and Fallen Order are all good to great games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Getting a sequel to Fallen Order, so don't really care if KOTR got shelved. I could never get into the original. The combat was just too jank for me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Okay but Fallen Order's sequel needs to copy Sekiro's posture and deathblow system or something because as it stands your lightsaber is basically a spicy club in that game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wouldn't mind that, yeah. Do it Respawn.

What I really want though, is a Doctor Aphra 3rd-person action/adventure platformer in the vein of the recent Tomb Raider games made by Respawn where you solve puzzles on the hunt for Jedi and Sith relics. Someone give me that, please.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat this thread stinks. This ain’t hogwarts. You can’t just diarrhea as you please!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ferrinus posted:

basically a spicy club

That's Obiwan's regular order at Dexter Jettster's.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Ironslave posted:

Lucas has said that he hates that kind of Hollywood cinematography and filming, and he very nearly dropped out of doing movies to do documentaries because of it. That he tried to shoot Star Wars like it was a documentary, and that does show both in the kinds of shots he uses and their contents.

This is the key insight. Star Wars really avoids flashy camera movement and cinematography and attempts to ape the idea of there being a real camera filming these characters a la a documentary.

It's very evident in stuff like this where Jar Jar is barely in the frame for his big line while Anakin and r2 just sort of saunter in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ESQuInLNg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Order 66 scenes being a notable exception to that, with things like the camera pulling back as Aayla Secura is shot, or the intercuts back and forward as Yoda realises what is happening, or Anakin's arrival at the temple.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

tsob posted:

Four? I'm pretty sure there were more than 4 "franchises" of good Star Wars games, never mind 4 good games across all the sub-franchises the games established over the years. The X-Wing games, Episode 1: Racer, the Rogue Squadron games, the Dark Forces games, the Jedi Academy games, the RTS games like Rebellion, Galactic Battlegrounds and Empire at War, the older Pandemic Studios Battlefront games, the LEGO Star Wars games and Fallen Order are all good to great games.

I've never liked vehicle combat games and RTS are mostly whatever but I did have a lot of fun with the original Battlefronts and Dark Forces so I'll say like eight good games

I did play Fallen Order but it's more like five really good boss fights sandwiched inbetween twenty hours of poncho collecting and fighting space dogs so its more of a mixed bag

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wolfsheim posted:

I've never liked vehicle combat games and RTS are mostly whatever but I did have a lot of fun with the original Battlefronts and Dark Forces so I'll say like eight good games

I did play Fallen Order but it's more like five really good boss fights sandwiched inbetween twenty hours of poncho collecting and fighting space dogs so its more of a mixed bag

I haven't played several of the games I listed, but I know that each of them are well regarded by a good chunk of people so don't mind listing them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tsob posted:

Ehhhh? The first two Rogue Squadrons are great but Rebel Strike was dogshit. Dark Forces was great, Jedi Outcast was great, but Jedi Knight was a clunky piece of garbage and Academy is pretty rough, too. Rebellion is nearly unplayable after a certain amount of turns because it was programmed by monkeys on bad acid trips and has some horrific memory leaks. Fallen Order has terrible combat and enough jumping puzzles that will make you pull your hair out, just because the physics are so drat janky, to say nothing of all the drat backtracking you have to do while not having a fast-travel system. Some of those levels are massive to the point that you can easily walk around for 30-40 minutes before finding something to actually do.

X-Wing and TIE Fighter are great (and still hold up with the proper setup), but XvT was online-only bullshit and Alliance was just ... strange. The old Battlefronts were really good, I'll grant that.

Star Wars easily has a better hit-to-miss ratio of games than, say, Star Trek, but let's not ignore that a lot of them range from janky (the original LEGO Star Wars trilogy, Galactic Battlegrounds, Galaxies) to utterly unplayable (the newer Battlefronts).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Republic Commando should be remade instead of KOTOR.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

Republic Commando should be remade instead of KOTOR.

Didn't Aspyr put out an "enhanced edition" of Republic Commando on PS4 and I think Switch last year?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

VR remake of shadows of the empire jetpack level

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think it'd be cool to have a new GZDoom game similar to, if not a remake of, Dark Forces. Just a shooter with neat levels and secret areas and loose associations to the canon.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Make a current gen Star Wars Bounty Hunter where you get to fly around on Jango Fett's jetpack and blast fools

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

Make a current gen Star Wars Bounty Hunter where you get to fly around on Jango Fett's jetpack and blast fools

What could have been with 1313....

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

What could have been with 1313....

LucasArts getting shuttered really sucked. And none of these game developers have the courage to give me a next gen X-Wing game. Squadrons is okay, but it feels so small. I just want a game that lets me fly and fight in the Battle of Endor with today's graphics.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ferrinus posted:

Okay but Fallen Order's sequel needs to copy Sekiro's posture and deathblow system or something because as it stands your lightsaber is basically a spicy club in that game.

It's kind of amazing how consistent a problem this has been across games. I remember this article from Shamus Young (RIP) daydreaming of an alternative, feels like something of that order already exists in other franchises:
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=188

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

YaketySass posted:

It's kind of amazing how consistent a problem this has been across games. I remember this article from Shamus Young (RIP) daydreaming of an alternative, feels like something of that order already exists in other franchises:
https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=188

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy had the best saber gameplay, especially since you could chop people into pieces. It owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3zW25326iU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Jedi Academy is worst than Jedi Outcast but they are both good games

The KOTOR 1 & 2 gameplay didint age too well in some aspects but they are still great games and the only Star Wars RPGs, which is something.

So I guess these 4 are my favorite Star Wars games, but I never played most of those you guys cited

Also I still have fond memories of those old SNES Star War games, I remember than being pretty decent beat em ups

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think so, especially if you take out the stuff that involves Luke, Leia, and Han. But it hardly matters, there's enough of an established world there to create new things and develop totally new characters. When Guardians of the Galaxy came out hardly anyone had read their comics or gave a poo poo that they were comic book characters. They were being incorporated into the MCU and the movie was good, that's all that mattered.

I recently bought the first four Star Trek films on UHD and they don't blow you away all time time but what those movies do have is a ton of establishing shots of the Enterprise docking and landing in various places and those shots are always amazing to look at because they're all matte paintings and models.

One of the big things Star Wars and Star Trek share, whenever they can spare the budget, is arrival and establishing scenes that give a sense of place. You always see the Enterprise, or Deep Space Nine, or the Millennium Falcon, or a Star Destroyer, before they cut to the interior of it. You often see them launching, docking or docked. Of course for Star Trek I think it helps to have stock footage and models to fill in some episode time (and lol that Empok Nor is just DS9 but at a tilt) but it gives them a distinct flavour, and it also gives some important time for scenes to breathe. It's a signature style that makes sure you know what you're watching.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Order 66 scenes being a notable exception to that, with things like the camera pulling back as Aayla Secura is shot, or the intercuts back and forward as Yoda realises what is happening, or Anakin's arrival at the temple.

Lucas is also comfortable and aware of his signature style to know when to break it- it makes the Order 66 montage have impact, that something new and horrible is happening simultaneously all over the galaxy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Speaking of games, ever since I played Hyrule Warriors I've thought a Star Wars or specifically Clone Wars musou would have great potential. Playing as a Jedi mowing down thousands of battle droids, etc. It just makes so much sense it's painful that it hasn't happened yet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Timby posted:

Star Wars easily has a better hit-to-miss ratio of games than, say, Star Trek, but let's not ignore that a lot of them range from janky (the original LEGO Star Wars trilogy, Galactic Battlegrounds, Galaxies) to utterly unplayable (the newer Battlefronts).

Oh, I wasn't trying to claim every entry in every one of those sub-franchises was great or anything; just that the series themselves were good on the whole because the good outweighed the bad. I agree with your assessment of the X-Wing games, for example. Both X-Wing and TIE Fighter are amazing games, while X-Wing Alliance never quite captured the same spark for some reason; but it's been decades since I've played it, so I don't feel even remotely qualified to say why. On the whole though, even the bad games in those series usually at least decent despite the problems.

Winifred Madgers posted:

Speaking of games, ever since I played Hyrule Warriors I've thought a Star Wars or specifically Clone Wars musou would have great potential. Playing as a Jedi mowing down thousands of battle droids, etc. It just makes so much sense it's painful that it hasn't happened yet.

I'd personally love a stylized action game in the vein of Devil May Cry or Bayonetta where you play a Jedi, since it's another genre that'd suit that down to the bones. Well, another one I guess, since the the Force Unleashed games were kind of that. You know what? Just hire Hideki Kamiya or Platinum to make it. The writing probably won't be any better if the Bayonetta games are any indication, but the gameplay and visuals will be astounding enough that no-one will care. It's not like Plantinum are averse to licensed Western properties either, having worked on both Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Legend of Korra games, as well as a Transformers game. Which is kind of a mix of Western and Japanese IP from what I understand.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 27, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

tsob posted:

I agree with your overall point, but aren't the Jedi Academy games also Dark Forces games? Just later sequels in the Dark Forces franchise? Or am I confusing things?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

thrawn527 posted:

I agree with your overall point, but aren't the Jedi Academy games also Dark Forces games? Just later sequels in the Dark Forces franchise? Or am I confusing things?

No, you're right after double checking it. I thought the two were considered separate because the Dark Forces games were first person shooters, and in my head the Jedi Academy games were third person; but double checking they're all part of the Jedi Knight series of games and Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy have both first and third person views.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

there's only one game called jedi academy, it's part of the Jedi Knight series along with dark forces and jedi outcast :goonsay:

and the best entry in that series (best star wars game overall???) is definitely DroidWorks

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I want to play Imperial Commando without some kind of stupid "you're secretly working for the Rebellion" plot. I want a cruel and unabashed space war crime simulator.

Bring back the flechette fun and all the other FPS weapons from Dark Forces and Jedi Knight etc.

The multiplayer in Jedi Academy was pretty cool, I was never great at it but the saber fighting had some interesting complexity with stances and counters.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

tsob posted:

No, you're right after double checking it. I thought the two were considered separate because the Dark Forces games were first person shooters, and in my head the Jedi Academy games were third person; but double checking they're all part of the Jedi Knight series of games and Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy have both first and third person views.

The first Dark Forces owns because it's so unabashedly Doom but with the demon sprites swapped for stormtroopers

bij posted:

I want to play Imperial Commando without some kind of stupid "you're secretly working for the Rebellion" plot. I want a cruel and unabashed space war crime simulator.

Blowing up Kashyyyk with the Death Star in the original Battlefronts was so satisfying lol

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bongo Bill posted:

I love establishing shots with a spaceship landing in them.

Agreed, plus if you're marketing a hundred different spaceship toys, it helps to see them taking off and landing in order to imagine playing with them even more. Locking S foils in attack position has generated a billion dollars by this point.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

e: KOTOR1 would have been a fine base for the sequel trilogy to rip off, instead of what we got

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Timby posted:

Didn't Aspyr put out an "enhanced edition" of Republic Commando on PS4 and I think Switch last year?

Did they? I have no idea. I want a proper remake of Republic Commando though. With full on four player co-op, developed in Unreal 5, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Winifred Madgers posted:

Omega Force is on record as having said that they also want to make some sort of Star Warriors, but they were never able to get the license holders to the negotiating table.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lt. Danger posted:

e: KOTOR1 would have been a fine base for the sequel trilogy to rip off, instead of what we got

That kind of backstory would actually work with a lot of the existing assets from Episode 7:
  • After the fall of the Empire, Luke starts a Jedi training academy, with Ben and Rey becoming his top students.
  • Ben and Rey go off to the Unknown Regions to investigate some ancient evil presence that Luke's discovered.
  • They encounter Snoke, who found a Star Forge and is using it to build a fleet for the Imperial Remnant that retreated after the fall of the Empire. The Star Forge's sun-devouring power can also be used as a weapon, and its technology builds Starkiller Base as well.
  • Between the dark power of Snoke, the Star Forge, and Rey & Ben's own hubris, they turn to the dark side and return the galaxy with the First Order fleet at their back.
  • Ben and Rey destroy Luke's temple and kill the other students. Since Luke would have been the ones to send Rey and Ben on their mission in the first place, he feels guilt for what happened and seeks out the first Jedi temple to atone for his actions and search for ancient knowledge to help him undo the damage done to Rey and Ben
  • Ben betrays Rey but can't bring himself to kill her, instead wiping her mind and dumping her on Jakku.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Robot Style posted:

That kind of backstory would actually work with a lot of the existing assets from Episode 7:
  • After the fall of the Empire, Luke starts a Jedi training academy, with Ben and Rey becoming his top students.
  • Ben and Rey go off to the Unknown Regions to investigate some ancient evil presence that Luke's discovered.
  • They encounter Snoke, who found a Star Forge and is using it to build a fleet for the Imperial Remnant that retreated after the fall of the Empire. The Star Forge's sun-devouring power can also be used as a weapon, and its technology builds Starkiller Base as well.
  • Between the dark power of Snoke, the Star Forge, and Rey & Ben's own hubris, they turn to the dark side and return the galaxy with the First Order fleet at their back.
  • Ben and Rey destroy Luke's temple and kill the other students. Since Luke would have been the ones to send Rey and Ben on their mission in the first place, he feels guilt for what happened and seeks out the first Jedi temple to atone for his actions and search for ancient knowledge to help him undo the damage done to Rey and Ben
  • Ben betrays Rey but can't bring himself to kill her, instead wiping her mind and dumping her on Jakku.

Fun fact, when working on Rise of Skywalker, Abrams and Terrio were looking at bringing in more things from Dark Empire than just Palpatine's clone bodies. One of those things was the World Devastators, massive machines that sucked up the resources of entire worlds to spit out TIE Fighters and other Imperial materiel, and would've been the explanation for how the gently caress he built the Eternal Fleet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Didn’t they drop the dark forces name starting with Jedi outcast?

Wolfsheim posted:

Blowing up Kashyyyk with the Death Star in the original Battlefronts was so satisfying lol

Star Wars rebellion was also fun for that. Built a bunch of Death Star and destroyed all the planets in the outer rim. (And a few others) Took quite some time since I needed to diplomacy pretty hard after every few shots.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darth TNT posted:

Didn’t they drop the dark forces name starting with Jedi outcast?

I guess. I was just being a pedantic rear end because the series started as Dark Forces, so in my head, it is Dark Forces. But maybe I'm also wrong, depending on how you look at these things.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It would've been kind of funny to see Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy as a title on a game case.

Though according to the Lucasarts book Rogue Leaders, they did have an actual Jedi Knight 3 on the table at some point, along with another spinoff called Jedi Outlaw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

star wars
SCUM
and
VILLAINY