Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol "oh I'm from a weird part of [x], you wouldn't recognize it" is my loving bat signal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, it's easy to forget if you're a map nerd, but there's a lot of people who don't really need or use maps much in their day to day life, and arguably memorizing shapes and things on a big world map of political divisions is the least useful way to use maps. It's handy for visual thinkers messing with international politics, but you don't actually need the visuals to express that information most of the time. And you don't actually need a spatially accurate map to do that. It's why medieval maps were so often just blorbs or shapes, and of course they'll seldom be oriented right for our expectations.

Most people, if they're using a map, they'll end up using a road map instead of a borders map. The big famous map projections were developed for naval navigation, but probably most people doing naval navigation these days will be using smaller, more detailed map instead of a whole map of the world. Subway maps are often famously not geographically accurate, because when you just have a bunch of long lines that the space between doesn't matter much, you can "untangle" that to present it as something easier to manage. Those medieval arab maps kinda "untangle" rivers, a lot of old maps that list a bunch of cities on them may be doing a sort of untangling on the spatial relations between towns. I think most people have inner mental maps that do a similar kind of untangling, and I know the one I have for the town where I was a kid isn't oriented properly north/south, so I always get confused. I think there's also a natural effect where people will often not keep their directions perfectly straight, their since of direction may be slightly curved, meaning that over distances, lines that would be straight on a map may get sucked into kind of a spiral shape.

Premodern maps of smaller places also often tend to be more precise because they would be depicting more geographic features that people can perceive more on a human perspective. They still blur and untangle and simplify, and there's a lot of decorative features obscuring things (because visual illustration is still the primary purpose of a lot of maps), but people could do some navigating with them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra posted:

And you don't actually need a spatially accurate map to do that. It's why medieval maps were so often just blorbs or shapes, and of course they'll seldom be oriented right for our expectations.

Italy and Greece, the two identifiable countries. (And Dalmatia/Croatia I guess)

:dong:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We are the 21 Federal Subjects of the Turkic Federation

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Italy and Greece, the two identifiable countries. (And Dalmatia/Croatia I guess)

:dong:

this made me think of these maps, which are definitely not politically loaded at all:

quote:

This map shows how the different countries of the world are connected to each other while disregarding actual geography. The world model is a very simple view that places various regions in clear zones. A design aim was to keep all text not-rotated for use as reference map of "global connections".Relative "power" is very loosely represented by font size. The outer ring and the Caribbean area represent the "island zones" outside mainland areas (where Scandinavia and Alaska are special cases and not "islands" per se). Land borders are black lines, while maritime separations are represented by blue lines. Some important strategic islands and bastions are also shown attached to the nearby mainland areas.This map is inspired and derived from another world topological map (link below) posted on Reddit recently, and is not intended to be definitive.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I get funny reactions from friends in Discord when I get Worldle countries in one guess. I wish this knowledge had more practical use

The real way to play Worldle is to disable the country outline. I play such that the answer to yesterday's puzzle is my 1st guess for today's. Having a single country as my starting guess was getting too easy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

I hate you. :argh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I am the only non geography nerd here, i dont know why im surprised it should be pretty obvious most of yall like, care about that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

I am the only non geography nerd here, i dont know why im surprised it should be pretty obvious most of yall like, care about that

All you need to know that people used to no idea how to make maps that weren't just funny squiggles on a napkin, but then Mercator came along and solved the map problem once and for all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Haha no i like maps or else i wouldnt be following the thread. I just mean i dont know that many countries locations...or names

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan posted:

All you need to know that people used to no idea how to make maps that weren't just funny squiggles on a napkin, but then Mercator came along and solved the map problem once and for all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpOIPb1_aCU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I ever make a fantasy novel it's going to open with a map like any decent fantasy novel but the map would be in the style of a figurative medieval map.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Guavanaut posted:

God loving damnit.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Count Roland posted:

The real way to play Worldle is to disable the country outline. I play such that the answer to yesterday's puzzle is my 1st guess for today's. Having a single country as my starting guess was getting too easy.

That's a good idea, I'm going to start that tomorrow. And I agree that map off is the only way to play.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atl%C3%A1ntida#/media/Archivo:Karte_der_Lokalisierungshypothesen_zu_Atlantis.jpg
O_o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location_hypotheses_of_Atlantis#/media/File:Rudbeck_Atlantis.jpg
/_ \

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location_hypotheses_of_Atlantis

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait he lifts up the paper on the globe to reveal that Atlantis was under Sweden the whole time?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What if Atlantis was just Doggerland

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well that just raises the question of what's really under Sweden

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

steinrokkan posted:

Everybody hated Mercator, but Arno Peters came along and invented a map projection that fixed all the world's sociopolitical problems, all on his own!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guavanaut posted:

Probably caviar tubes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everybody hated Mercator, but Arno Peters came along and invented a map projection that fixed all the world's sociopolitical problems, all on his own!
And he called it the Waterman Butterfly World Map.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

Lemuria

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Haha no i like maps or else i wouldnt be following the thread. I just mean i dont know that many countries locations...or names

hell, same. heck, it was only last week (when randomly doing a worldle) that i realized that central america is aligned more northwest-southeast* than north-south. and don't get me started on my knowledge of the geography of, well, pretty much everywhere that isn't the first world

i like the funny maps though :kiddo:

* just took another look and it's even worse than i thought. it's basically wnw-ese. and south america is very rudely far to the east of north america. still fucks me up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

redleader posted:

hell, same. heck, it was only last week (when randomly doing a worldle) that i realized that central america is aligned more northwest-southeast* than north-south. and don't get me started on my knowledge of the geography of, well, pretty much everywhere that isn't the first world

i like the funny maps though :kiddo:

* just took another look and it's even worse than i thought. it's basically wnw-ese. and south america is very rudely far to the east of north america. still fucks me up

Zoom in on the Panama Canal.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Platystemon posted:

Zoom in on the Panama Canal.

no. oh no. what the gently caress. jesus christ

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
https://i.imgur.com/2HW4gOK_d.png

price of a cup of espresso in the capital cities.

Man getting urls from imgur on mobile is annoying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im the missing capitals (eg bratislava, warsaw)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Carthag Tuek posted:

im the missing capitals (eg bratislava, warsaw)

The capital is in Prague :colbert:

E: also the chart needs to be in hours @ median salary or something

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 28, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Little known fact: the cheap/expensive coffee divide in Europe is delineated by the possessions of the finnic and korean hyper empires

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Thought this might be of interest. Any time there are discussions of ancient maps, the medieval reproductions of Ptolemy's 2nd c. AD map of the oikoumene, or inhabited world, often get posted:

But from the time of Eratosthenes onward (3rd c. BC), scientists widely accepted that the Earth was a sphere, had a pretty good idea of its actual size, and knew that the oikoumene filled only one part of its northern hemisphere. What, then, did they think the rest of the world was like? Well, an astronomer named Geminus wrote a treatise in the 1st c. AD called the Introduction to the Phenomena in which he discussed this. An English translation of Geminus' work was only published for the first time in 2006, and the work isn't widely known outside of research on ancient science.

First of all, he notes:

quote:

The surface of the whole Earth is spherical in shape and is divided into 5 zones. Of these, the two around the poles, lying farthest from the path of the Sun, are called frigid and are uninhabited because of the cold. They are bounded by the arctic circles and extend to the poles. The next ones, lying in an intermediate relation to the path of the Sun, are called temperate. These are bounded by the celestial arctic circles and the tropic circles, and lie between them. The remaining [zone], in the middle of the aforementioned ones, lying under the very path of the Sun, is called torrid. It is bisected by the terrestrial equator circle, which lies beneath the celestial equator circle. Of the two temperate zones, it happens that the northern one is inhabited by those in our oikoumene.

Then he goes on to discuss the oikoumene and cartography, with some early projection chat:

quote:

Our oikoumene is divided into three parts: Asia, Europe, and Libya [Africa]. The length of the oikoumene is approximately double the width. For this reason, those who draw world maps in proportion draw them on oblong panels so that the length is double the width. Those who draw circular world maps have wandered far from the truth, for the length [of a circular map] is equal to the width , which is not the case in nature. Of necessity, the proportions of the distances are not preserved in the circular world maps, for the inhabited part of the Earth is a certain segment of a sphere having the length the double of the width , which cannot be bounded by a circle.

Then he speculates about the southern hemisphere:

quote:

When we speak of the southern zone and of those dwelling in it, as well as the so-called antipodes in it, we should be understood in this way: that we have received no account of the southern zone nor [any report of] whether people live in it, but rather that, because of the whole spherical construction [of the cosmos], and the shape of the Earth, and the path of the Sun between the tropics, there exists a certain other zone, lying toward the south and having the same temperate character as the northern zone in which we live. In the same way, we speak of the antipodes, not in the sense that people positively dwell diametrically opposite us, but rather that there is on the Earth a certain habitable place diametrically opposite us.

He then discusses the "torrid zone" around the equator, noting that explorers had found it to be inhabited, and then states:

quote:

For those inhabiting the boundaries of the torrid zone are Aithiopians, who have the Sun at the zenith on the [summer] solstice. Indeed, by the nature of things, one ought to suppose there are two Aithiopias, with Aithiopians dwelling both around our summer tropic circle and around our winter tropic, which is summer [tropic] for the antipodes.

Interesting that he seems to think about the southern hemisphere similarly to how astronomers think about the possibility of life on other planets today.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 28, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also interesting how just nobody expected the New World. A huge landmass that's just disconnected with their continents.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's weird to remember just how much an accident of tectonics put the vast majority of humans in the northern hemisphere. I assume being northern focused is just me being eurocentric but then I remember, wait, no, the equator passes through Brazil and Indonesia. We're all just up here, looming down on our southern friends with their weirdo seasons.

Like, the most populous country that's entirely in the south is Tanzania. Indonesia, Brazil, and DRC take the top three if you count partially in the south, Tanzania being fourth. With Brazil and Indonesia having a digit on every other country. Australia has fewer people than Nepal. Australia is barely fewer humans than greater Paris. Is Australia even real?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 28, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, 68% of all land is in the northern hemisphere to boot, so it follows that's where most humans are. The Americas are also collectively much smaller than the old world, and so much of the New World is splayed out in a line so that it was pretty hard for people to spill over between North and South America, while so much of the Old World is a big lump that it's nearly impossible to cut off the connection between the parts. Any big migratory groups looking to switch continents would either have to develop deep sea boats or they'd have to push through the dense jungle and civilization of Central America.

And then Australia is hidden far over the seas through a maze of more appealing yet small islands, and if you make it there, it's incredibly hostile as an environment and mostly desert anyways.

edit: More maps

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1552671768980213763

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 28, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's weird to remember just how much an accident of tectonics put the vast majority of humans in the northern hemisphere.

It’s easy to think of Africa as being largely in the Southern Hemisphere, but it extends further north of the Equator than it does to the south, and the northern part is much wider.

Europe is just unparalleled. In the Southern Hemisphere, its latitudes are almost entirely water.

In North America, Los Angeles is further from the Equator than is Cape Town.

South America extends further south, about as far from the equator as Denmark does, but it’s even skinnier than Africa.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 28, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Platystemon posted:

In North America, Los Angeles is further from the Equator than is Cape Town.

I'm stealing this fun fact

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm sure if you asked people to draw where they think the equator is on a blank Mercator map they would get it pretty wrong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Its in the center isnt it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its in the center isnt it...

:ssh: