Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

You really shouldn't because giving a set stance to formless defeats the entire purpose of calling it formless in the first place. That's why when it's used against Okubo and against Gaolang it looks like different things. Because it had different purposes in either copying someone's moves directly for style points or creating a custom martial arts to counter his opponents blows. I would even double down and say you could call the Hatsumi Sen vs Chiba fight a proto-Agito match because that's probably what Sen was ultimately counting on to win against Agito. Finding the one move Agito would throw at him through formless that he could counter and lead into his own finisher.

All I'm (Struggling) to explain is that it's more interesting to have them look like they're doing something preemptively instead of not since it looks more interesting and even at least bouncing on your feet like boxers do helps you react quicker. It's not like it's Ultra Instinct Goku and they can teleport behind someone as they're trying to sleep their leg or something.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Lt. Lizard posted:

Just loling at "oh yeah, this fighter' signature and supposedly unique ability is actually just one of billion Kure techniques everyone can learn, but I guess he is slightly better at it".

Worse at it actually. Kure version allows copying on the fly, it takes Chiba hours of copying to mimic a single move.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

can't wait for the fighter that's literally just a wizard. shooting fireballs with the hat and everything while ppl try to somehow justify it lorewise

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

where the red fern gropes posted:

can't wait for the fighter that's literally just a wizard. shooting fireballs with the hat and everything while ppl try to somehow justify it lorewise

There was that one shot crossover during Ashura where Ohma fought Ryu from Street Fighter.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I should probably cut Ryuki some slack on account of his youth, but dude's a goddamn clown with his "specialized purely for killing, therefore has sooooo much trouble fighting non-lethal". Muteba, Rei, Agito and Kuroki were all killers originally, but they were perfectly capable of winning a martial arts match without killing their opponent, even when it would have been allowed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Warden posted:

I should probably cut Ryuki some slack on account of his youth, but dude's a goddamn clown with his "specialized purely for killing, therefore has sooooo much trouble fighting non-lethal". Muteba, Rei, Agito and Kuroki were all killers originally, but they were perfectly capable of winning a martial arts match without killing their opponent, even when it would have been allowed.

All those are really experienced combatants though, with the exception of Rei whose fighting style can forgive a sloppy nonlethal conversion because he's still dummy fast and not killing people anymore was something he very genuinely wanted to do.

Ryuki mostly lip services the no killing thing for the sake of his relationship with Koga, his style is even worse suited for tournament fighting then Rei's, and his coach is also a psychopath

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Muteba keeps trying to gouge people's eyes out so I dunno if he's a great example

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Fabricated posted:

Muteba keeps trying to gouge people's eyes out so I dunno if he's a great example

They explicitly spelled it out that he purposefully did not kill Seki with the heart jab, as a little "thank you" for Seki not permanently deafening him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't get why he's suddenly having trouble not killing people, he was doing just fine before his backstory was revealed to the readers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get why he's suddenly having trouble not killing people, he was doing just fine before his backstory was revealed to the readers.

It's a combination of him fighting weaker opponents before and also before he fell into the murderboner psycho crew which is likely causing tons and tons of mental dissonance.

He spends most of his free time hanging out with people who spend their time vigilante murdering people on a whim because they believe it's a righteous and correct thing to do so it's probably pretty hard to shift back to "maybe I shouldn't murder people" on the fly.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'd imagine that Kiryu is also subtly sabotaging his ability to fight non-lethally thru his "training"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah it probably isn't helping that the dude is getting his primary training right now from someone who is so mentally unstable that he's virtually on par with Meguro, and Kiryu is explicitly trying to use him to kill Ohma, apparently.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Warden posted:

Mute a didn’t have any style so wasn’t hampered in that way, Rei specifically mentioned how his non-lethal style needed more work, Agito kills but doesn’t specifically use a style designed to kill and Kuroki is the greatest living martial arts master we’ve seen in the series so saying someone can’t do a martial arts thing as well as him doesn’t mean much.

This is more a mental thing than the style now. Ryuki went to kill Chiba when he was already down.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://comikey.com/read/kengan-omega-manga/kj65Pk/chapter-167/

:sigh:

Of course a Korean could never get far in Kengan. Of course.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Himuro continues to be a pro-jobber. I’m almost expecting it to come as an actual plot point.

Also Saw Paing being mentioned as being in “peak condition” means he’s 100% going to lose. It doesn’t help that our boy Koga has a move that targets the kidney(or was it the liver? I forget) to get past Saw Paing’s adamantite skeleton

RatHat fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 13, 2022

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Well, so the actual tournament has 4 veterans of the annihilation tournament (Adam, Cosmo, Rihito and Saw Paing), our two Omega protagonists, and two unknowns (Mark Myers and Leonardo Silva).

Let's get predicting how the tournament will go:

Cosmo beats Leonardo, Saw Paing beats either Rihito or Adam but takes a hell of a lot damage, Koga beats the one he doesn't by the skin of his teeth, Ryuki will beat Mark Myers.
Semi-finals will be damaged Saw Paing vs Koga and Cosmo vs Ryuki.
Finals will be Koga vs Ruyki. Either Koga wins, or Ruyki gets a victory using a killing move that lands Koga in coma.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Koga will win the tournament by unveiling the fruits of his training: Niko style going limp at the joints

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 167

Not much really to say.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s a mistake in the last few pages, see if you can spot it.

Answer: Koga spontaneously grows a jacket on the last page

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
New Chapter is up, and we know the initial match-ups of the tournament.

All of my guesses for initial match-ups were wrong, it seems.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Rip Rihito, sacrificed to the Monster of Illinois

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Really missed an opportunity for Ryuki to show up wearing that goofy clothing he liked during his pre-time skip shopping trip with Koga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

team overhead smash posted:

Really missed an opportunity for Ryuki to show up wearing that goofy clothing he liked during his pre-time skip shopping trip with Koga.

Setsuna also taught him fashion sense

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's wrong with Koga's outfit?? I thought it looked stylin'!

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
Already preparing a funeral service for Adam in my head. RIP friend :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they are feeding all of my favorite characters to ryuki, this is bullshit lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think Sao Paing is unkillable, so maybe it'll work our?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If the boyfriend battle is in the semi-finals my hope is Rihito sweeps the left brackets but my suspicion is Mark Myers takes his mask off and has like 30 centipede tattoos and sweeps the tournament and then dies for no real reason, narrative or otherwise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ryuki losing in the first round and koga winning the tournament would be the best outcome probably

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'd like Cosmo to win, but unfortunately there's no reason to put him in the tourney except to have an upset.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
God, I hope Adam doesn't job somehow. Otherwise I like the fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Caidin posted:

If the boyfriend battle is in the semi-finals my hope is Rihito sweeps the left brackets but my suspicion is Mark Myers takes his mask off and has like 30 centipede tattoos and sweeps the tournament and then dies for no real reason, narrative or otherwise.

We've seen the dude with his mask off.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Would have loved for Adam to show off his multi-year training with the super elite fighters, but he is against Gaoh, so it's pretty much foregone conclusion that he will job. At least it looks like Rihito will have some space to be cool before almost certainly losing to either Saw Paing or Cosmo (probably Cosmo).

Of course, there is also the possibility that Mike is the requisite Worm plant and bodies Rihito... :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 28, 2022

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
This is obviously setting up for the Adam vs Cosmo rematch. And then Gaoh joins Seki's gym on Adam's recommendation to get stronger through the power of friendship and wrestling.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Cosmo vs Saw Paing is basically the finals already, neither would lose to any other fighter here barring a big upset.

I think Cosmo wll have to use his wrestling to have a shot at winning, and then it depends on what point the author wants to make: focusing on his so much strikes made his wrestling way worse, so he loses; or he somehow got even better, and he wins.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

We've seen the dude with his mask off.

I don't recall when and that doesn't particularly mean it's the same dude behind it now!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Please no more worm infiltrators. We have the connector and the good twin. Leave it at that and move on with whatever brain shenanigans they have planned with Bando and Kenzo's research.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think the intro to the whole comic was Koga versus Myers so uh, rip everyone else

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Meyers is like the second (or third, depending on whether you count the ex-Purgatory Mumon) Purgatory fighter we see in the manga (alongside his opponent Tommy). The first being Jose.

He was a C-lister back then fighting for a promotion to B-lister, and lost to Tommy. Jose's verdict was that both Meyers and Tommy were both B-lister level.

Tommy punched him in the face so hard his mask broke.

Honestly what bit we saw of Tommy vs Meyers was actually pretty dynamic and desperate, a lot more interesting and tense than some of the Kengan vs Purgatory matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
New chapter

Expecting some shenanigans here where Shen thinks Kazzy is a dangerous mofo