Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

AndyElusive posted:

Just found out that Graham McNeill is going to be signing books at my local GW store on Friday. I don't tend to go to book signings but I think it'd be kind of rad to get him to sign Thousand Sons and a few other HH books I have. Thing is it's not like they're special editions or even hardcovers, they're just the small format paperbacks. So I don't even know if it'd even be worth it to get him to scribble in them.

Bring a copy of The Reflection Crack'd, that one is special enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

AndyElusive posted:

Just found out that Graham McNeill is going to be signing books at my local GW store on Friday. I don't tend to go to book signings but I think it'd be kind of rad to get him to sign Thousand Sons and a few other HH books I have. Thing is it's not like they're special editions or even hardcovers, they're just the small format paperbacks. So I don't even know if it'd even be worth it to get him to scribble in them.

Unless you're doing it to resell the books, who cares!?!? If you think it's rad (which it is) and you have the time, go do it!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember the Necron Lord of Kronus in Dark Crusade was still somewhat personable, though his Pariah did most of the talking and he was pretty sarcastic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Lobster posted:

Bring a copy of The Reflection Crack'd, that one is special enough.

I’d bring a copy of The Reflection Crack’d if I knew I was going to see Graham McNeill, though not to get him to sign it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I though that even before the Necrons got their glow up that the higher ranked ones still had personalities similar to the Tomb Kings

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
depends upon if you mean the 9th ed glowup or the 5th ed glowup

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AndyElusive posted:

Part of it is just doing it to get a chance to tell authors that you like their work. I found some of Graham's signed books in a local second hand place back when I lived in Dublin. Seemed a little odd.

Xenomrph posted:

If anyone else knows of any old lore examples of Necrons talking, they’d be fun to throw in this other guy’s face lol
Claim it happened in Digganob. gently caress all people will even know what that is.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’d bring a copy of The Reflection Crack’d if I knew I was going to see Graham McNeill, though not to get him to sign it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arquinsiel posted:

Claim it happened in Digganob. gently caress all people will even know what that is.

Now I want to know what that is

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Xenomrph posted:

Now I want to know what that is

Necrons were originally introduced in Gorkamorka, to which Digganob is a supplement.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, they were introduced in the Christmas 1997 issue of White Dwarf, which came with a free metal Necron Warrior figure. Digganob just decided that the planet that Gorkamorka takes place on is also a tomb world and added them into it for some extra spice. They were wildly over-powered for the game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, they were introduced in the Christmas 1997 issue of White Dwarf, which came with a free metal Necron Warrior figure. Digganob just decided that the planet that Gorkamorka takes place on is also a tomb world and added them into it for some extra spice. They were wildly over-powered for the game.

Aye, they got some basic rules for 40k with stats for the lord, warriors, immortals and scarabs, pretty barebones stuff iirc, I may have that WD lying around somewhere. Gorkamorka was such a wild game btw.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Same, but with Dead Sky, Black Sun.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

Ditching this was honestly the best part of the retcon. Everything else was just "yes, and" but that poo poo had to go. Turning it into a :smug: "yes, human that's what they wanted us to think!" is the best outcome.

It's an archaic spelling.

I wouldn't mind a couple things being C'tan plots or whatever but, yes, there was waaaay too much poo poo implied to be them and it got kinda silly after a while. I would love some lore on the Void Dragon now that it has a model though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Laughing God tho is in fact puppet mastering everything.

BAAAAZINGAAAAAAAAA(ETERNAL LAUGH TRACK ECHOING THROUGH THE WARP)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Still thinking about the ending to dark city days later

Just a gem of the genre.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wouldn't mind a couple things being C'tan plots or whatever but, yes, there was waaaay too much poo poo implied to be them and it got kinda silly after a while. I would love some lore on the Void Dragon now that it has a model though
The worst thing about the Void Dragon is that it's just a dude.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

Still thinking about the ending to dark city days later

Just a gem of the genre.

:same:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just finished Dark City.

huh

HUH

Gonna need to take a moment here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

The worst thing about the Void Dragon is that it's just a dude.

The C'Tan of Just Being A Dude

Is C'tan supposed to be a pun on Satan

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Weirder than finding “titbit” in Dead Men Walking I also noticed what I think is the first time I’ve seen human ethnicity described in contemporary terms instead of talking about heritage of the “nordafrik enclaves” or being of “albian” descent or whatever there’s a bit where a Krieg guard says “we’re looking for a caucasian female”.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

0konner posted:

Weirder than finding “titbit” in Dead Men Walking I also noticed what I think is the first time I’ve seen human ethnicity described in contemporary terms instead of talking about heritage of the “nordafrik enclaves” or being of “albian” descent or whatever there’s a bit where a Krieg guard says “we’re looking for a caucasian female”.
There is that bit in an ADB book with a Cadian meeting someone with black skin, who obviously comes from a jungle world.

... Yeah.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Since finishing The Dark City I've been thinking more and more about how it really seems that all the scattered revelations, plots, and hints over the last few years seem to be building to something. We know with GW's new management that came around in '15/'16 they started planning much further ahead and that they saw the success of the heresy series and how big events or storylines drive revenue.

I think they see the imminent end of the Heresy/SoT series and have been dropping breadcrumbs about the next big event. I don't see how exactly, but I think all of these things are independent stories but with connections that will be exploited later:

- Failure of the golden throne explored in the Vaults of Terra trilogy
- The you know what revealed so far in the Bequin trilogy
- The golden child/star child plot started in the latest Dawn of Fire book
- The Horusian War series stuff about creating an uber-saint/possible emperor reincarnation
- Whatever revelations we end up getting at the end of Siege of Terra about what really happened, the golden throne, perpetuals, etc
- The great rift and subsequent psychic awakening
- Tons of hints about more returning Primarchs

It just seems like all the really major releases coming out of BL deals with similar stuff that could all be tied together into something big. Like GW saw how Marvel handled the first big arc of the MCU starting with Iron Man and ending with Endgame and seeks to emulate it. We know that GW is no longer wedded to the idea that nothing changes in the setting. Guilliman returning, primaris, and everything that has happened is a huge shakeup to the setting and has been immensely profitable for them.

What exactly this is leading too I don't know. The most obvious answer would be the resurrection or reincarnation of the Emperor, but I do feel that is probably a bridge too far. As somebody who drowns themselves in the lore I just can't help but feel something big is coming after SoT ends.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
holy poo poo they're doing star child stuff again?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moonmazed posted:

holy poo poo they're doing star child stuff again?

Yeah I was just as surprised, but there wasn't enough revealed about it by the end of the book to see how much it borrows from the old star child lore.

Throne of Light spoilers:

Basically the Hand of Abaddon is on a big quest to find this "golden child". Supposedly everything in the warp has been whispering about it and it's a really big deal. He even summons and binds Kairos Fateweaver to make them tell him about it. Of course you never get a straight answer from Kairos but it's heavily implied it is related to the emperor (repeated reference to a golden being standing up from a throne) and of such importance that even Kairos doesn't know or can't reveal the child's location, and that it is either the death or triumph of Chaos. There are two very short vignettes that show the child to already be born and located on a paradise planet. The Inquisitor trying to track down and stop the Hand believes it's all tied to the recent resurgence in the Cult of the Star Child popping up all over the Imperium.

That is basically it, but it's pretty clear this will be the main macguffin going forward in the Dawn of Fire series. Unfortunately, DoF has been pretty underwhelming so far but BL really seems to want to make it a big deal but all their big hitters have been busy with all the other stuff I referenced. As those stories come to a close we may finally see those authors start writing DoF novels. It's possible all of this will come together into the DoF series plotline and that will be the big post-SoT push or maybe they'll close it out relatively soon and it will be something new after that. I really think in a few years though we will look back and see that all the really big stuff released since 17/18 had breadcrumbs and connections throughout that we weren't really seeing at the time.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Since finishing The Dark City I've been thinking more and more about how it really seems that all the scattered revelations, plots, and hints over the last few years seem to be building to something. We know with GW's new management that came around in '15/'16 they started planning much further ahead and that they saw the success of the heresy series and how big events or storylines drive revenue.

Yeah also add the very suspicious delays we've seen with the Bequin and Horusian Wars series. Horusian Wars had a regular entry once per year and a collection of shorts, but then just as it got to the part of the story that would (potentially) link together all these other arcs from 30k and 41k, the series just disappeared into complete radio silence. The penultimate novel of the series came out in 2018.

It reminds me of how inbetween the release of Pariah and Penitent a whole bunch of books came out that recontextualised how we would read Penitent, I think that delay was completely purposeful, a chance for other writers to catch up with Abnett. At the time the last Horusian Wars novel seemed to me like a cool story that I expected would just get reset at the end like a sitcom, but now I'm looking back on it, and thinking...they might actually do the thing.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 28, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I always thought the delay of Penitent was because there were problems between old GW and Abnett.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Chemtrailologist posted:

I always thought the delay of Penitent was because there were problems between old GW and Abnett.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chemtrailologist posted:

I'd bet it was first one then the other

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 28, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

He's a big floaty dude with wings and no face, but still basically a humanoid figure. I was hoping for something cooler like an actual dragon made out of the little tiles or something.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Chemtrailologist posted:

Wasn't he also diagnosed with epilepsy and slowed down his writing around the same time?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arquinsiel posted:

He's a big floaty dude with wings and no face, but still basically a humanoid figure. I was hoping for something cooler like an actual dragon made out of the little tiles or something.

I don't mind the design, but something weirder would have been cooler, agreed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

I don't mind the design, but something weirder would have been cooler, agreed

basically this but the entire leagues of votann so far

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's perfectly cool, but is it as cool as a dragon?

No, it is not.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Oh man I've always read it as "kuh-tan" but if it's pronounced "see-tan" then dang nice catch.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
the Seitan.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm listening to The First Heretic and every time Argel Tal appears my brain goes "Argel Targel"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm listening to The First Heretic and every time Argel Tal appears my brain goes "Argel Targel"

Glad I’m not the only one.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Reading Perturabo and loving the Hrud. Is there more about them anywhere?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Reading Perturabo and loving the Hrud. Is there more about them anywhere?

As far as I know there are only some short stories. They may feature at one point in an HH novel but not as the main bad guy. Maybe look up their wiki articles and see what books are referenced in the footnotes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the biggest lore bit about them is in Xenology. But that book is OOP and as a result extremely expensive to get.