Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Finally, Lamortmon. This was an interesting episode, because I appreciate a lot about what it was doing, but I don't think it actually fully came together the way they intended it to. Lamortmon behaved the way you would expect, but there's no character reason for Angoramon to shift into that sort of attitude; certainly, Ruri was in danger, but not really in any more danger than usual? There was no cursed sword loving up Angoramon, and there was no tragedy like Digitamamon, or anything like that.

Still, it was a good episode, and I'm glad they finally did the thing they should have done weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game 35: well they finally did the thing, but it was actually kind of disappointing I thought. It honestly feels like the episode was pulling its punches, which is strange to say for this series because Ghost Game has had absolutely no problem being intentionally distressing. I was seriously expecting a swerve where the old lady was actually in league with the monster and/or doing it to get revenge on Ruri's grandmother by proxy for some ancient slight, with the point of it being that sometimes Man is the greatest monster of all and so there would be a kind of ironic vibe to gentlemanly Angoramon turning into a berserker, but all that really didn't happen. And the episode didn't really hold together that well in general I thought.

Still, we got an animated debut of one of my favorite recent Digimon, and they made him look extremely vicious and nasty, so at least there's that. Silver linings and all that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ruli: Hey want to check something out?

Kiwashiro: There better not be any spooky poo poo…

Ruli: There isn’t! Trust me.

(Five minutes later, some spooky poo poo happens)

Kiwashiro: What the gently caress

Happens every time…

Edit: I really liked this episode! It wasn’t exactly what we thought it was going to be but it was really good

Angoramon is the werewolf to Ruli’s moon maiden; he’s a gentleman protector but when she gets hurt his rage shakes the heavens. It’s important that he not flat out murk Manticoremon (who had a great showing this episode) and be calmed down by Ruli because it shows that while Lamortman is a mothman berserker it’s not a form he assumes because of a toxic relationship. It’s not a Dark Evolution like SkullGreymon or Megidramon, it’s just another facet of their relationship

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 24, 2022

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

King of Solomon posted:

Finally, Lamortmon. This was an interesting episode, because I appreciate a lot about what it was doing, but I don't think it actually fully came together the way they intended it to. Lamortmon behaved the way you would expect, but there's no character reason for Angoramon to shift into that sort of attitude; certainly, Ruri was in danger, but not really in any more danger than usual? There was no cursed sword loving up Angoramon, and there was no tragedy like Digitamamon, or anything like that.

Still, it was a good episode, and I'm glad they finally did the thing they should have done weeks ago.

i super disagree. the point is that there isn't a reason. Lamortmon isn't a reasonable digimon who goes berserk because of anger or sadness he's a destructive barely contained monster

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think there was probably something left on the cutting room floor about the old woman's own connections to the werewolf legend and how she not only knew so much, but also how she just seemed to appear in places.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Elfgames posted:

i super disagree. the point is that there isn't a reason. Lamortmon isn't a reasonable digimon who goes berserk because of anger or sadness he's a destructive barely contained monster

I think that makes sense normally, but this is so character focused that I don't think a Digimon that is incidentally berserk makes sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It makes sense.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I liked the episode a lot. The whole angle where Ruli, who's spent the entire show investigating supernatural goings-on and has built a big social media presence on it, spends the episode rejecting superstition and belief because it's the wrong kind of belief, is interesting, especially in context of 35 episodes where every supernatural thing turned about to be a Digimon.
Lamortmon wasn't how I expected, but he works really well. He's not a berserker like I expected - he's a big scary brutal monster, but he's a big scary brutal monster version of Angoramon with Angoramon's goals and priorities, just more violent about it. It's a personality shift, but in the same way that Thetismon is more refined than Jellymon and Canoweissmon is more mature than Gammamon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
What is a little off for me on Lamortamon is that there's not a clear a through line between his evolutions like there is in the other two

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Heads up, Survive’s trophies are up on the net now so spoilers are popping up here and there.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

What is a little off for me on Lamortamon is that there's not a clear a through line between his evolutions like there is in the other two

I think he's becoming a progressively sharper and more combat-oriented rabbit creature.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I think he's becoming a progressively sharper and more combat-oriented rabbit creature.

The one episode we've seen of Lamortamon doesn't make him seem sharper as in smarter, but more in combat instinct. The mega might merge the sophisticated Symbaangoramon with the more savage Lamortamon, but it feels more like they should be swapped in level atm.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
It's actually happening. Digimon Survive just shipped.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Let’s just hope Survive was worth the wait then

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Survive uses the Japanese names for a lot of mons, is that normal for games or is this new? Might be related to the fact there’s no English dub

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Survive uses the Japanese names for a lot of mons, is that normal for games or is this new? Might be related to the fact there’s no English dub

Next 0rder used Omegamon instead of Omnimon but still kept most of the western names, can't remember any more examples.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon Survive is up to buy and play on Steam.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Wikimon has art up of the new mons from the Espi/Ryuda DiMs:

HoverEspimon
Gyukimon
Oboromon

Pretty neat designs that were clearly done with some intended relationships in mind... HoverEspimon still looks kinda derpish though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1552855350172418048?s=20&t=lhWqwk9Jpa0WVuf99XXWQQ

also, Imperialdramon Fighter Mode Black got added to the Reference Book:

quote:

A form that controlled the berserk Imperialdramon: Dragon Mode (Black) with a heart of darkness, changing its form into a Virus Fighter Mode. It rejects Vaccine Digimon, and prefers targeting Digimon affiliated with the Virus Busters in particular to eliminate them.

In addition to being fired for bombardments, the "Positron Laser" equipped to its left arm turns into the "Positron Laser Lance" by expanding the heat sink, delivering a powerful blow. Also, its "Giga Death", in which it inserts the Positron Laser into the dragon-face on its chest, and then emits all of its body's energy as a destructive energy wave, now has unfathomable offensive ability with increased destructive power.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
ShinMonzaemon…

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Not exactly what I pictured a monzaemon mega being like (it's a little on the waru side and with all that purple stuff let's just say that fuzzy wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy, was he?) but I'm still glad to have one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m playing Digimon Survive on my Switch right now. There certainly are good production values for a VN

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m playing Digimon Survive on my Switch right now. There certainly are good production values for a VN

I'm gonna have to wait until Monday, which is a bummer. At least I've got other stuff to do, I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those who’ve played Survive by now would you say it was worth the wait (also is there any actual combat/gameplay or is it literally more like a VN as mentioned above)?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Larryb posted:

So for those who’ve played Survive by now would you say it was worth the wait (also is there any actual combat/gameplay or is it literally more like a VN as mentioned above)?

There is tactics style gameplay but it is veeeeery heavily a vn

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Once you're out of the tutorial it sure takes its sweet time before you see a Digimon

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

The dev says it's 70/30 Visual novel/RPG

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Sounds very Super Robot Wars. I'm diving in when I get off work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

There is tactics style gameplay but it is veeeeery heavily a vn

Sick

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I played up until you meet Agumon and it is nice to have a Digimon game where your Digimon are actual characters.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Digimon Survive seems like the gameplay is broken up into the following segments:

Visual Novel
-Typical VN fare, but the art is 3D-rendered so there is room for some camerawork and character animations.
-You can cursor over characters and environmental objects to talk and examine things. Character dialogue frequently gives you dialogue choices that affect your Morality/Harmony/Wrath stats.
-Sometimes you will have to press the right shoulder button to take out your cellphone camera, which you use to scan for anomalies. So far, these are just extra environmental objects to examine.
Map
-You're given a cluster of locations to explore based on where you are in the story. For example, when exploring the school, you'll have different areas like Classroom, Bathroom, Hallway, Cafeteria, Gym, etc.
-One of the map options is "free battle," which is basically a repeatable combat encounter, similar to how games like Final Fantasy Tactics would always have generic battles available on the world map. The free battle has a variety of different Digimon that can appear.
Battle
-Tactical RPG battle with a grid.
-Combat seems inspired partially by Shin Megami Tensei games. There's a big emphasis on Defending to mitigate special attacks (like Agumon's Pepper Breath) and saving your special attacks for when your opponent isn't Defending.
-There's the standard extra damage based on side attacks/back attacks. Being careful about managing whose attack range you are in seems like a major strategic decision.
-The battle maps so far are mostly open battlefields with a couple of rocks and some mild elevation changes. I'm not sure how much the environment will end up playing a strategic role in battles.
-There appears to be mid-combat Evolution, but I haven't unlocked it yet.
-Human partners can give different stat boosts to Digimon in combat by cheering them on.
-You can recruit Digimon using the Shin Megami Tensei style of mid-combat negotiation.

The characters and digimon are very cute, and the art is charming. The gameplay feels kind of like a baby's-first-strategy RPG so far, but that might be because I'm still getting extended tutorials. I haven't unlocked evolution yet so that might open things up a lot. I'd say that, while the theme is "spooky isekai survival," the tone of the game is pretty in-line with what you'd expect from Digimon. The stakes are fairly high since it's about kids who find themselves in a hostile environment, but the tone is much more mystery than survival-horror or anything.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Digimon Survive seems fun so far but I find it really funny that they… couldn’t resize the title card at the start of fights, or something? Because every time a battle begins you get a splash text saying Start Bat. (period included)

But yeah, I’m still very much in the intro but it’s making a good impression. It seems like it going for a tone closer to the anime, with the digimon being their own characters and the kids being stranded in the digiworld, which I personally like a lot more than the setup in something like cyber sleuth where your own digimon were disposable nonentities.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Snake Maze posted:

Digimon Survive seems fun so far but I find it really funny that they… couldn’t resize the title card at the start of fights, or something? Because every time a battle begins you get a splash text saying Start Bat. (period included)

They missed the chance to use Start.bat if that's the case.

It's sounding like my jam but I'm undecided if to get in on PC for performamce or on Switch for portability.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

They missed the chance to use Start.bat if that's the case.

It's sounding like my jam but I'm undecided if to get in on PC for performamce or on Switch for portability.

well

1 - the PC version doesn't work right now unless you install video codes

2- this is not exactly a performance intensive game

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blockhouse posted:

2- this is not exactly a performance intensive game

That's never stopped a switch version of a multiplatform game from running like dogshit before. As always, look it up before diving in.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I've played a couple battles with at most four units on screen and they were fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it started to chug with more units and particle effects.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
sorry I meant to type unistall video codecs

if your video codecs are too good the game doesn't run

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, the performance part was because I read battles chugged on the Switch and while not some FPS snob chugging does annoyme a bit.

Blockhouse posted:

sorry I meant to type unistall video codecs

if your video codecs are too good the game doesn't run

Well my PC is new and I haven't installed barely anything on it so if anything I'd run on the opposite problem :v:

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

You don't necessarily have to uninstall video codecs, I didn't. Presumably this just means I didn't have any of the offending ones on this computer, but even so, that means it's not a universal problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

1st Stage Midboss posted:

You don't necessarily have to uninstall video codecs, I didn't. Presumably this just means I didn't have any of the offending ones on this computer, but even so, that means it's not a universal problem.

Yeah this isn't a cheap/badly made game thing. Lord knows I've had enough modern well made PC games that just didn't run on my PC because of some stupid older audio codec I had to fix/update/Uninstall.

Shout out to MHRise.