Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Looks like George announced then quickly canceled his plans for Comic Con due to Covid concerns.

Now you know The Cootie is for realreal and not for playplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao this guy

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1550925551333957632

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The twist is he's just talking about fire and blood pt. 2

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The twist is he's just talking about fire and blood pt. 2

that and Wildcards

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched the extended trailer. Am I face blind or are there two young albino women both vying for the throne and only one of them is Rhaenya, or is it only one person and I keep seeing double?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Arc Hammer posted:

I watched the extended trailer. Am I face blind or are there two young albino women both vying for the throne and only one of them is Rhaenya, or is it only one person and I keep seeing double?

I think there's another white woman with white hair saying something like "if Rhaenya inherits, any chance of our succession vanishes" or something like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The younger one is Rhaenyra, the older one is Rhaenys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then there's also mama hanging with captain dreadlocks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

And she's called Rhaeneither. The guy is RhaenMan

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could be confused by this? :colbert:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
She's being played by two actresses, for different ages. I don't know if that's the in the trailer or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm not face blind but it is one character. Okay that means I'm not blind just confused by a trailer that doesn't make time jumps very evident.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, they're definitely doing either Time Jumps or flashbacks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So when do we get the social media reaction embargo lifted? I always enjoy the interchangeable tweets about the laughing, the crying, the overall feels regardless of how good or poo poo the thing ends up being.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow I can't wait for the thrilling conclusion to this finished George R. R. Martin tale where the girlboss gets murdered for being Bad and then her nemesis's sullen son sits around looking sad until he can exorcise some of the author's insecurities by telling a fat man to gently caress off

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
HBO's House of the Dragon, which is based on the book by Elio Garcia & Linda Antonsson, which is inspired by the books by George R.R. Martin Ty Franck, which were based on the story by George R.R. Martin

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

HBO's House of the Dragon, which is based on the book by Elio Garcia & Linda Antonsson, which is inspired by the books by George R.R. Martin Ty Franck, which were based on the story by George R.R. Martin

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, they're definitely doing either Time Jumps or flashbacks.

I just checked the imdb casting and they have Rhaena listed as well along with Rhaenyra and Rhaenys. I cannot wait for the confusion.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ruddiger posted:

I just checked the imdb casting and they have Rhaena listed as well along with Rhaenyra and Rhaenys. I cannot wait for the confusion.

The article that got posted recently literally talked about how the show director is insisting on following these exact names straight from the sourcebook despite knowing it's going to confuse everyone :hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meanwhile they had no trouble changing Asha's name to Yara because they thought it was too close to Osha.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Kylaer posted:

The article that got posted recently literally talked about how the show director is insisting on following these exact names straight from the sourcebook despite knowing it's going to confuse everyone :hmmyes:

I can sort of respect that. World needs more entertainers that don't give a drat about their audience.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Everyone just got done creaming their jeans over Elden Ring and my understanding is that all the characters there have nearly identical names.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

ruddiger posted:

Honestly I still get really confused even though I get the jist of the story.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Arc Hammer posted:

Meanwhile they had no trouble changing Asha's name to Yara because they thought it was too close to Osha.

I'm sorry, do you mean Arya? :D

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Umbra Dubium posted:

Arse, ya.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tried watchin some preston jacobs and man those ones where he puts characters up and does "funny" voices is some of the most hands down excrutiating poo poo

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Umbra Dubium posted:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tried watchin some preston jacobs and man those ones where he puts characters up and does "funny" voices is some of the most hands down excrutiating poo poo

Yeah, those are probably his weakest videos. I mostly listen to his podcast and streams. He has pretty interesting stories from working in government, too.

Also, George got covid from the convention.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, those are probably his weakest videos. I mostly listen to his podcast and streams. He has pretty interesting stories from working in government, too.

Well that’s an excuse to not write for a year.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
GM has the cootie. Lol. Get hosed, gurm.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pennsylvanian posted:

:bisonyes: :owned: :omarcomin:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The convention he was gonna skip so he could keep writing?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think it was 2015 when GRRM said he wouldn’t be doing any more conventions until Winds was done.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Winds is done. He was just using the title as a metaphor for his writing. It’s all air baby.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lmfao if this true. According to leaks from the HoTD premier they lay out that the reason why the Targaryen’s conquered Westeros was that they knew about the White Walkers and needed to make sure there was a strong united kingdom to fight them. Which is f true is one of the most overplayed tropes in all of fantasy/sci-if and only makes the ending of GoT dumber.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 29, 2022

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well how else would you make a series about evil incest dictators more palatable?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

George retconning Aegon the Conquerer into a good guy and savior is so on brand with his clear turn from caring mostly about the Starks to falling in love with his stupid magical incest master race circa 2005.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aegon getting turned into the Darth Revan of ASOIAF. Complete with writers retroactively believing their own hype machine was there from the start.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I know the Targaryen’s had weird prophecy dreams, but I thought for the most part they were incomprehensible enough where they were either used for self-serving reasons only, or drove the person crazy trying to understand them

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who knows/who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

George retconning Aegon the Conquerer into a good guy and savior is so on brand with his clear turn from caring mostly about the Starks to falling in love with his stupid magical incest master race circa 2005.

It completely flips over so many of the core themes of the series that I have to wonder just how bad GRRM took the way the TV showed cratered in the last 2 series.

No doubt that the old guy is lazy and mostly just doesn't care about writing as much anymore but it also suggests that he wants to "redeem" his story through another successful adaptation even if that means completely undermining the foundations of it.