Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Ny and Lan are set up fairly well for Jordan.

I'd agree Mo and Thom are much more sudden/off camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I was surprised and taken aback by both :shrug:

Moiraine and Thom is certainly more egregious.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Every time you see them together Thom is thinking about how she's quite the woman, or asking rand how she's doing when they're away. Idk doesn't seem too far fetched for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, moiraine and Thom are set up from the very first moment they're both on screen, it's just very very subtle because theyre both subtle characters and we don't see either of their pov's directly and Rand is a bumpkin at that point and doesn't pick up on it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That first moment when Moiraine and Thom see each other is wonderful.

quote:

Abruptly the flow of words and the juggling alike stopped. Thom simply snatched the balls from the air and stopped talking. Unnoticed by Rand, Moiraine had joined the listeners. Lan was at her shoulder, though he had to look twice to see the man. For a moment Thom looked at Moiraine sideways, his face and body still except for making the balls disappear into his capacious coat sleeves. Then he bowed to her, holding his cloak wide. “Your pardon, but you are surely not from this district?” “Lady!” Ewin hissed fiercely. “The Lady Moiraine.” Thom blinked, then bowed again, more deeply. “Your pardon again ... ah, Lady. I meant no disrespect.” Moiraine made a small waving-away gesture. “None was perceived, Master Bard. And my name is simply Moiraine. I am indeed a stranger here, a traveler like yourself, far from home and alone. The world can be a dangerous place when one is a stranger.”

I don't think Thom gets caught flat-footed often, but he sure does there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Note that she knows exactly who he is and tells him so by using his professional title.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Every time you see them together Thom is thinking about how she's quite the woman, or asking rand how she's doing when they're away. Idk doesn't seem too far fetched for me.

Yeah, I had a feeling there was some lines that implied attraction but I couldn't actually recall any of the top of my head, so I just left at him treating her differently to other Aes Sedai. Thanks for clarifying. I'd still feel there's just too much time between them meeting, and instantly jumping to marriage personally, but there is definitely some foreshadowing of the basis of it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Note that she knows exactly who he is and tells him so by using his professional title.

I was going to say "well of course she does, she can see his cloak and that's all she needs to know his profession"; took me a third read to realize she calls him "bard" and not "gleeman". I wonder when Moiraine saw something to "know the face of her future husband" as she tells the girls inside the Stone of Tear, since that implies a viewing. Maybe Min?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think when she says that she's been through the doorway already, so I always assumed she'd heard that as part of one of her answers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think when she says that she's been through the doorway already, so I always assumed she'd heard that as part of one of her answers.

Nope, it's in the same scene where she explains the doorway to the girls and that she's considering going through.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You know, I genuinely forgot she even used the doorway in Tear; I thought it was just Rand and Matt. I had to go and re-read those pages, just to double check.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

tsob posted:

Yeah, I had a feeling there was some lines that implied attraction but I couldn't actually recall any of the top of my head, so I just left at him treating her differently to other Aes Sedai. Thanks for clarifying. I'd still feel there's just too much time between them meeting, and instantly jumping to marriage personally, but there is definitely some foreshadowing of the basis of it.
Part of that problem is that for like 2/3rds of that time, one of them was presumed dead, and the other part is that they're workaholics. Thom's stories make Moiraine laugh, Thom routinely calls her a fine woman and laments the fact she's Aes Sedai, but most of their time and attention are being spent making sure these dumb kids don't get themselves killed before they can save the world.

quote:

I was going to say "well of course she does, she can see his cloak and that's all she needs to know his profession"; took me a third read to realize she calls him "bard" and not "gleeman". I wonder when Moiraine saw something to "know the face of her future husband" as she tells the girls inside the Stone of Tear, since that implies a viewing. Maybe Min?
Moiraine say's she "could wager" technically, but Min is the most likely source at the time. She had said previously one of the signs she recognizes is when two people who've never met will get married. Additionally, when Moiraine tells Thom to go to Tanchico, she says flat out that they will see each other again, and that he will survive the city. She hadn't gone to Rhuidean yet, so only a vision from Min or an answer from the doorway would have been trustworthy enough sources to say an iron clad statement of future events.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RandomReader posted:

Part of that problem is that for like 2/3rds of that time, one of them was presumed dead, and the other part is that they're workaholics. Thom's stories make Moiraine laugh, Thom routinely calls her a fine woman and laments the fact she's Aes Sedai, but most of their time and attention are being spent making sure these dumb kids don't get themselves killed before they can save the world.

Moiraine say's she "could wager" technically, but Min is the most likely source at the time. She had said previously one of the signs she recognizes is when two people who've never met will get married. Additionally, when Moiraine tells Thom to go to Tanchico, she says flat out that they will see each other again, and that he will survive the city. She hadn't gone to Rhuidean yet, so only a vision from Min or an answer from the doorway would have been trustworthy enough sources to say an iron clad statement of future events.

We also have Min reflecting later that she's only ever had one vision that didn't come true during the period she thinks Moiraine is dead. So my money is definitely on Min telling her.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Which kind of leads to her three questions, which I'm kind of assuming to be some variation on
"How do I stop saidin killing Rand" leading to her knowledge of Asmodean, though that could easily be the rings
"How do we win the Last Battle"
"How do I keep Rand alive until then"

Because let's be honest, her own survival is never even a consideration for her.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
How does she find out about needing Mat and Thom to rescue her from the snakes and foxes?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rhuidean - she says she saw three paths into the future in her letter to Rand, but doesn't go into detail on how far forward she saw.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tsob posted:

"; took me a third read to realize she calls him "bard" and not "gleeman".

Exactly. It's some of Jordan's most subtle, most front-loaded writing and only really spottable on reread.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Moraine - Thom 'romance' was bad because it felt bad and abrupt and unearned to me, the reader. That's enough for me.

It is one of the vanishingly few things that I would actually like Rafe, coward that he is, to change in The Show. Most of the changes have been bad, but this one, this one would be very good.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
All of the changes are Bad, except the ones I want, which are Good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I liked all the changes and enjoy eps 7-8

Now what

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

The Moraine - Thom 'romance' was bad because it felt bad and abrupt and unearned to me, the reader. That's enough for me.

It is one of the vanishingly few things that I would actually like Rafe, coward that he is, to change in The Show. Most of the changes have been bad, but this one, this one would be very good.

The show is doing a great job with Siu/raine

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

"Hello"

-Alan Mand Aragorn, about to slay

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Oh christ i forgot about that haha. Well, it's a change for the better, IMO.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Exactly. It's some of Jordan's most subtle, most front-loaded writing and only really spottable on reread.

It's like that scene where Birgitte is talking to Mat in the old tongue and he doesn't realize it. The dialogue gets a lot more formal and there's a few odd turns of phrase that I didn't catch the first couple times through, but when you realize what's happening it's so obvious.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Yeah, I feel the same. Thom/Moiraine was sudden on the first read but made a lot more sense when I was watching for it, so I don't dislike it. But the show making Moiraine and Siuan a present rather than past relationship has been a good change.

Of course, if there's anything to the speculation I saw that TV Suian gets killed off (since Sophie Okonedo is too busy for much of a recurring secondary character role) and Leane takes over her post-stilling story arc of mentor to Egwene, there's still finding someone else I guess. Though hopefully not since I like both versions of Siuan.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I enjoy watched the new turning of the wheel that is the show

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Moiraine and Thom seemed like they came out of nowhere to me, but I've heard people who are way more tuned in to that style of romance writing picked up on it basically instantly, so I can't say it was actually out of nowhere.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I find the notion that they didn't both know exactly who the other one was highly unbelievable, and it would not surprise me at all if they hadn't met at least once before that scene. He was, among other things, loving her sister-in-law for an extended period of time after her brother died.

Note that does add an extra dimension of weirdness to their relationship, tho.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

From his reaction I think he knows what she is, if not exactly who. But by TSR he's had time to do some digging and find out who she is. Either way, it's a fantastic little story thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Colonel Cool posted:

Moiraine and Thom seemed like they came out of nowhere to me, but I've heard people who are way more tuned in to that style of romance writing picked up on it basically instantly, so I can't say it was actually out of nowhere.

Are the people you heard named Ali, mayhaps? She was on it book one, master bard, laughing at his knife tricks and juggling, etc.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I liked all the changes and enjoy eps 7-8

Now what

Now you will read my 3500-word essay on why your opinions are wrong:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

St0rmD posted:

I find the notion that they didn't both know exactly who the other one was highly unbelievable, and it would not surprise me at all if they hadn't met at least once before that scene. He was, among other things, loving her sister-in-law for an extended period of time after her brother died.

Note that does add an extra dimension of weirdness to their relationship, tho.

Yeah, it's absolutely possible that they'd met before and recognized each other instantly. All we can know from the text is that at the very least he recognized the ageless face instantly, and she knew who he was from her use of his correct title.

Colonel Cool posted:

Yeah, Jordan had just finished writing a bodice-ripper trilogy set in colonial era Charleston right before he started writing Wheel of Time. A lot of the relationships had that romance novel dynamic carry over and readers who are used to those tropes tend to pick up on them faster that people who just read fantasy.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

RC Cola posted:

I enjoy watched the new turning of the wheel that is the show

lately i've just been thinking of it as the same events, garbled somewhat by the retelling over time

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's a television adaptation of the book series.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

tsob posted:

It's the last battle. Rand is having straight up strangers getting married due to him twisting chance, but even if he wasn't... It's the last days as far as any of them know.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I didn’t like it either. If they never got together nobody would think twice. That’s how little I feel it was foreshadowed. Plus he fuckin hated Aes Sedai, even the nice ones were usually pieces of poo poo. But I know people think it’s master class writing so what would I know?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Invalid Validation posted:

I didn’t like it either. If they never got together nobody would think twice. That’s how little I feel it was foreshadowed. Plus he fuckin hated Aes Sedai, even the nice ones were usually pieces of poo poo. But I know people think it’s master class writing so what would I know?
That plus is just more in favor of Thom/Moiraine, because even knowing she's Aes Sedai, Thom still really likes her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which kind of leads to her three questions, which I'm kind of assuming to be some variation on
"How do I stop saidin killing Rand" leading to her knowledge of Asmodean, though that could easily be the rings
"How do we win the Last Battle"
"How do I keep Rand alive until then"

Because let's be honest, her own survival is never even a consideration for her.

The first two questions seem unlikely, as asking the Aelfinn questions that touch on the Shadow leads to death or madness. Rand gets away with asking one because he's ta'veren - not to mention already going mad - but I can't see Moiraine getting away with two. We also never find out what her questions and answers actually were, which suggests they weren't altogether relevant.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is the third time she’s tweeted about playing Cadsuane :thunk:

https://twitter.com/saghdashloo/status/1553102320203866113?s=21&t=6vX24JzXy1C7nltjSl4Bng

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If she doesn’t get to say gently caress in her gravely voice then what’s the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dunno, some of her interactions with Rand could be pretty great

She would get a great "boy"

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 29, 2022