Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Flyinglemur posted:

Quick update on my project that only I care about. And maybe the Hellcat Goon with the unfortunate colored Challenger ;)

Anyway I redid the hood to make it look more like my actual car and I like the way it turned out. Pay no attention to the rear end as I am working on adding the exhaust and black trim

for reference:

Feedback/suggestions are ALWAYS welcome. I'm so new at this. Please help the old man.

Oohh, I really like that purple, and I really like where this is going!

One thought... on the front fender around the headlights, how it flares back... could you use part 29119 and its mirror to get that curve back on the headlamps? Color availability might be crud, though if it's a model you may consider painting it for that metallic sheen. Oh! Idea, for the headlights, use some snot bricks like 99206, and the build a recessed headlamp box with a 2x3 plate for each side situated underneath the hood wedge, with lights in the middle and some sort of corresponding wedge underneath to swoop inward along the sides, if that makes sense.

On the top, use rounded corner tiles like 25259 to give the top corners above the windshield more curvey swoop.

Hopefully some of that helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Voice of Labor posted:

they've taken the skies. it's time to take them back

Before it explodes, Starfighter drops THE BOMB!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sloppy posted:

Whatcha got? Photos!

Unfortunately I am not back home atm so I can't take any but I am heading back in a couple of weeks to continue sorting and I will take some then. I found a big plastic bin along with a limited edition silver brick tub filled with assorted pieces, and I pulled another 12 quart sized buckets worth of Lego from a box that was mixed with Megablocks. They range in date from the mid 90s to early 2000s, I saw both classic Knights/Pirates along with Harry Potter and Bionicle.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Before it explodes, Starfighter drops THE BOMB!

lol

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oohh, I really like that purple, and I really like where this is going!

One thought... on the front fender around the headlights, how it flares back... could you use part 29119 and its mirror to get that curve back on the headlamps? Color availability might be crud, though if it's a model you may consider painting it for that metallic sheen. Oh! Idea, for the headlights, use some snot bricks like 99206, and the build a recessed headlamp box with a 2x3 plate for each side situated underneath the hood wedge, with lights in the middle and some sort of corresponding wedge underneath to swoop inward along the sides, if that makes sense.

On the top, use rounded corner tiles like 25259 to give the top corners above the windshield more curvey swoop.

Hopefully some of that helps!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I did the best I could with what I thought you were talking about. I also took a couple of pictures for comparison. I'm not sure I'm happy with how the hood goes into the side mirrors and might have to work on that. The headlights are part of an assembly like you suggested, but they are certainly recessed on the real car. They are also flow through lights and I was happy to use those bricks that sort of look like them. I made the inside lights yellow because that's what they are when the DRLs are on. The other part, with the curved issue on the bottom of the front bumper may be the best I can do with what I have to work with. I know it isn't perfect but it is pretty close.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
purple car cool

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the part exists, I think the front corners should use those 1x2 slopes with a bevel (29120).

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

xzzy posted:

If the part exists, I think the front corners should use those 1x2 slopes with a bevel (29120).

It does not exist in Dark Purple and I'm not really keen on painting any pieces :(

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

deoju posted:

This youtube wood worker that I like did a coffee table inspired by a technic gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUypPUKED3o

Please watch this and skip to 16:00 where he mills Lego Studs in order to hold the piece upside down & perfectly centered.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I think this looks better. Doesn't solve all of the issues, but I think this is as close as my novice rear end is going to get

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Worst part of mocs is using new parts in colors that don't exist yet.

Especially since so many of them are oriented towards smaller details. When a new part is launched they should flood the lugs with them in every shade.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Flyinglemur posted:

I think this looks better. Doesn't solve all of the issues, but I think this is as close as my novice rear end is going to get

Saw one of these cars on the road today, made me think of your build.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am just finishing up the question block. I don't have nostalgia for SM64. I initially wasn't interested in the set. But seeing the price increase, and seeing it in person and liking Mario, in general, I decided to grab it.

It's fantastic. If I had grown up w/ SM64, I could see it being one of the GOAT sets. It's level of fine detail is great. And the working mechanics of the set are fascinating to put together. It definitely helps that my SM64 experience is pretty much the 4 levels/areas that are in the set. I think I wandered around a couple other areas, but most of it was in the beginning levels. So I recognize most of what I built.

If you are on the fence, get it. It's a good set.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/AdamFrazier/status/1552376820938559489?s=20&t=saI8BefR98SlZSVYwX54uw

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My galaxy explorer has already shipped and actually left the warehouse. Crazy.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

w00tazn posted:

My Great Fishing Boat is supposed to ship by tomorrow, let's see what emails I get from Lego lol

I got an email today saying mine finally shipped! :peanut:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I was supposed to get "40567 Forest Hideout" for free with my order, but the shipping info says "30434 Aston Martin Valkyrie AMR Pro V39" along with my Galaxy Explorer and "76217 I am Groot"

Anyone else? Lame if true!

Edit: Checking through emails, it may have shipped separately and the Aston Martin is a nice little free addition? Cool if true!

pzy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 29, 2022

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Yeah, I got the Aston Martin too with my order.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Why isn't the BTTF car in stock in my country. :argh:

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I don't think it is in any country.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It pops up in stores every once in a while. If you follow wario64 on twitter, he sometimes will tweet when it pops up on Amazon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cleaned my closet today and yeah I gotta get rid of my MOC building parts lol. I don’t know how this became half a closet full.

Time to learn stud.io

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Finally got the Horizon Tallneck. I think it's pretty delightful, and it's still wild to me that exists at all.

The 3-in-1 longboat is also rad.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

I looked it up after I made this but I still wanted to share it because I just now learned it

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

He looks like he'll make a good a studs up MOC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

I looked it up after I made this but I still wanted to share it because I just now learned it

I don't even think twice about using it anymore but tbh moc is such a stupid term.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

He looks like he'll make a good a studs up MOC.

lol

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What’s worse, MOC or AFOL?

The answer is SNOT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the dumb acronyms surrounding lego come from usenet in the 90's, which is why they're so bad. They were created by the nerdiest of the nerds.

But nothing better has caught on so we're all to blame for it.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I don't know any of those, but I've just been getting back into Lego gradually the past year.

I've been doing a ton of the different complex types of sets, but I also like doing the art ones with the single round studs. I'm about 2/3 of the way to finishing the 3 x 9 bonus plan Darth Vader. I already splurged and got a few others like the iron man, world map, uh target mini art (all on sale) and just picked up the Batman ones from zavvi on sale Are there any tools to sort of rasterize pictures to Lego that work well? I'd love to do some cool ones of other things I like or even family.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Douche4Sale posted:

I don't know any of those, but I've just been getting back into Lego gradually the past year.

I've been doing a ton of the different complex types of sets, but I also like doing the art ones with the single round studs. I'm about 2/3 of the way to finishing the 3 x 9 bonus plan Darth Vader. I already splurged and got a few others like the iron man, world map, uh target mini art (all on sale) and just picked up the Batman ones from zavvi on sale Are there any tools to sort of rasterize pictures to Lego that work well? I'd love to do some cool ones of other things I like or even family.

I haven't used it but this should work: https://lego-art-remix.com/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember when getting back into Lego years ago, the terminology used to make me cringe so much lol. MOC, AFOL, SNOT, illegal connections, correcting people for saying "Legos".

MOC, SNOT, and illegal connections worked their way into my vocabulary somehow, because I started building a lot of my own stuff and it just makes things easier. But I still can't type/say AFOL with a straight face and I'll say Legos whenever I drat well please.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Snot is the only good one

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it's the best to say in a sentence to really confuse someone. "I'm working on a pretty good snot build."

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

HootTheOwl posted:

Snot is the only good one

What about BURP?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ivantod posted:

What about BURP?

I don't know what that one is

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Big Ugly Rock Piece. It's not used anymore.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

HootTheOwl posted:

Big Ugly Rock Piece, as explained above.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Look at that BURP, just look at it!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's not that ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
And as you might have guessed the mountain “top” piece that goes with the BURP is a called a LURP.