Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

ECW lost a lot of its top stars in 97-98. Raven, Sandman, Whipwreck, Public Enemy (laugh if you must) and others left. Heyman also had some bad ideas for how to fill the gaps like the cursed Jake Roberts involvement and the people he started to push like Justin Credible weren't very good. However, there was a dead cat bounce in mid 99. Mike Awesome winning the title and having great matches with Masato Tanaka while Tajiri and Super Crazy were also tearing it up and Jerry Lynn was getting over really gave the company a shot in the arm. But when Awesome left everything fell apart. Heyman started putting more effort into burying TNN on TV than booking a good show.

What happened with Jake Roberts? I don’t remember him in ECW at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What happened with Jake Roberts? I don’t remember him in ECW at all.

He came in to feud with Tommy, looked like hell, and iirc, the payoff never happened because of Jake's various issues? I might be missing something there

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lid posted:

Matt Taven over then unknown to be sex pest Marty Scurll was genuinely baffling and insulting.

I'm guessing it was a situation that he was worried that NJPW would give him a ton more money and dates and he couldn't carry the company at that moment.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

There was a point in my life as a young mark that I thought it would be awesome if Justin Credible fought The Rock or Goldberg. Still kinda think that.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Fight? Yes. Wrestle? Nah.

Anyone else remember the Rock n Roll Express wrestling like ONE match in masks as the Midnight Cowboys?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well good. rip rodgers was the real midnight cowboy. up in stampede. him and that guy who died already.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Fight? Yes. Wrestle? Nah.

Anyone else remember the Rock n Roll Express wrestling like ONE match in masks as the Midnight Cowboys?

I don't, but given the love that era of wrestling rightly has for 'star is not here anymore, but here's them under a mask', I would not be surprised if this happened.

Especially if it was part of a feud with the Midnight Express.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I don't, but given the love that era of wrestling rightly has for 'star is not here anymore, but here's them under a mask', I would not be surprised if this happened.

Especially if it was part of a feud with the Midnight Express.

The only time I remember seeing it was one of these "let's go to some footage from a couple of days ago" and there's a clip of very obviously the RnR Express in masks doing a beatdown on the Midnights but I don't remember RnRX ever "leaving" at that time. Might have been some aborted angle maybe; I live in the same town as Gibson, so next time I see him at a mudshow I'll ask him.

Q: Was there ever an explanation about the Freebirds going from being Hayes/Gordy/Roberts to just Hayes and Garvin like it had been that way all along? I had a co-worker back in the mid 90's that swore up and down that it had been Hayes and Garvin from the start and I couldn't convince him otherwise.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EdsTeioh posted:

Q: Was there ever an explanation about the Freebirds going from being Hayes/Gordy/Roberts to just Hayes and Garvin like it had been that way all along? I had a co-worker back in the mid 90's that swore up and down that it had been Hayes and Garvin from the start and I couldn't convince him otherwise.

Buddy Roberts was never in WCW, I don't think, and Terry Gordy was in Japan too much to really be part of the team at that point. Garvin got slotted in there because he partied with the original Freebirds in WCCW.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

Buddy Roberts was never in WCW, I don't think, and Terry Gordy was in Japan too much to really be part of the team at that point. Garvin got slotted in there because he partied with the original Freebirds in WCCW.

Gordy was a part of the 'Birds with Garvin for a bit before he finally just went to Japan full time (although the promotion might technically have still not been WCW as we know it). There's the story Cornette tells on how Hayes and Garvin thought they were going to be huge and refused to sell during a match with the Midnights and Steve Williams. Williams was so mad he went after Garvin with one of those folding wooden chairs with the slats and kept wailing on him until the Birds finally retreated to the locker room. Doc and the Express followed them in there, everybody held their breath because who knew what it would be like if Gordy and Williams actually went at it until Gordy finally declared it was stupid and stalked off which defused things. Bobby Eaton, still hot, yelled something like "We aren't here to just get you guys over!" and this shocked everybody because Eaton never really got angry. It was like being mauled by a sheep.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Whatever happened to that Ryan Ward guy? I remember him getting credit for NXT when it was good and then he moved up in creative and I never heard of him again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Whatever happened to that Ryan Ward guy? I remember him getting credit for NXT when it was good and then he moved up in creative and I never heard of him again.

According to his LinkedIn (probably. The internet is weird, it's possible it's some weirdo pretending to be him), he's a biggun on the Creative Team for the time being.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-ward216

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Alexander Hamilton posted:

He also booked SmackDown during a period where everyone liked it

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

How big are indie promotions rings, typically? I assumed 18x18 because it'd be easier to transport and setup but I'm not 100% sure.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

EdsTeioh posted:

If your friend only watched them in the early 90s WCW run then that is the explanation.

Buddy Roberts had basically retired by 1989 so he didn't make the journey to JCP/WCW.

Gordy helped to reform the Freebirds in WCW in 1989 but was otherwise busy with All Japan which is why the main pairing was Hayes and Garvin (with the occasional appearance of a masked Brad Armstrong)
His work in All Japan is also the main reason why he ended up leaving WCW, because they were working with New Japan in the early 90s and Gordy felt that it would be betraying Giant Baba if he was to work with "the enemy". That's also why Dr Death ended up leaving WCW around the same time.

So if you were watching WCW in the early 90s your exposure to the Freebirds would have been Hayes and Garvin and of course WCW would present them as the real deal team since they had no interest in talking about wrestlers that don't work for them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pylons posted:

How big are indie promotions rings, typically? I assumed 18x18 because it'd be easier to transport and setup but I'm not 100% sure.
I trained/performed in an 18x18 but I think 16x16 is actually more common… the latter is what we tended to get when we had to use a different ring for whatever reason

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
16' rings are more common, people will tell you this dates back to Rob Feinstein but that isn't true.

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021

MassRafTer posted:

16' rings are more common, people will tell you this dates back to Rob Feinstein but that isn't true.

He used 16' rings but tried to claim they were 18.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

davius_xw posted:

OMG :vince: :drat: :wow: :perfect:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

davius_xw posted:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

davius_xw posted:

GODDAMN, SON

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can't believe you liked that joke enough to say this and text me the joke here at our work office

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

The Logan Paul match got me thinking. What is the worst celebrity match?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Grey posted:

The Logan Paul match got me thinking. What is the worst celebrity match?

Jenna Morasca vs Sharmell

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Did that wanker from Survivor with the ramen noodle hair have any matches?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
How did Yoshiko not get blackballed for life after the Act incident? Just scummy promoter stuff or did she actually atone for it in some way?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Bonk posted:

How did Yoshiko not get blackballed for life after the Act incident? Just scummy promoter stuff or did she actually atone for it in some way?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Act did not retire from the injuries sustained in the Yoshiko match. She already had cataracts from Graves Disease going into the match

Yoshiko didn't get into the ring to decide to end Act's career, she was a 21-year-old woman in an incredibly hosed up backstage environment in Stardom who got into a fight for reasons nobody in this thread knows. A fight that should have been stopped by countless people from Kyohei Wada, Rossy Ogawa to Nanae Takahashi. They had every opportunity to, and Yoshiko even backed off into her own corner after the first exchange of punches but the fight was allowed to continue. It was only Kyoko Kimura dragging Act out of the ring that stopped things.

Since coming back Yoshiko has wrestled for five years without any incidents and has been trusted by the likes of Emi Sakura, Tsukasa Fujimoto and Chigusa Nagayo to wrestle their rookies and Emi in particular is very, very protective of her trainees, so I don't think Yoshiko is quite the uncontrollable monster people make her out tp be in the west.

I understand if people don't want to see Yoshiko or watch her matches, but comparing her to Joey Ryan, a serial rapist, because ot one fight is disgusting.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yoshiko had an MMA fight where her opponent was pulling her punches and took a dive at the end. Very obvious to anyone who watched it. They had a less fake looking rematch for no reason afterward, which is interesting. She then lost to someone else and stopped fighting. Some people believe she has very high up connections (familial) with a certain organization.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

(That, or pseudo-familial through her professional parent Nanae and Nanae's professional parent Animal Hamaguchi who has trained quite a lot of important sons & daughters in amateur wrestling.)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bonk posted:

She did get blackballed for a year then she just quit Stardom anyway until Nanae brought her back. She went to the hospital to apologise to Act.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Whats the Act Incident?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It appears someone told me all the things I repeated above as a joke, so that I would pass it on under my name and brand, and be made a fool of. Please don't mind any of it. I'm very sorry

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sandman McMahon posted:

Whats the Act Incident?

Yoshiko beat the piss out of her in a match and broke her face.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

And Act had pre-existing conditions. Her entire life career is a tragedy. Beating Act so badly she couldn't continue her career was the wrestling equivalent of kicking a puppy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Act is wrestling again under a mask as Wild Bunny in Actwres girl'Z and seems generally healthy and happy now, so it didn't end on a sour note.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Really? Hooray!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There's a big what if in Joshi history in what if Nanae Takahashi hadn't been offered the Stardom training role just before Emi offered her a job as trainer at Ice Ribbon?

So many cascading events from that slight twist of fate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yoshiko beat the piss out of her in a match and broke her face.

I recall it was also pretty much a one-sided grudge on YOSHIKO's part.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fez_machine posted:

There's a big what if in Joshi history in what if Nanae Takahashi hadn't been offered the Stardom training role just before Emi offered her a job as trainer at Ice Ribbon?

So many cascading events from that slight twist of fate.

Emi was kinda bitter that the trainees in Ice Ribbon listened to Nanae more than her so that probably would have ended badly, though I suppose it's not as if things worked out any better between Emi and Tsukka.

edogawa rando posted:

I recall it was also pretty much a one-sided grudge on YOSHIKO's part.

It was more of a proxy grudge between Nanae and Fuka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Actwres girl'Z

This is the worst name for a thing i have ever heard of