Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
My partner shows me Jorts the cat tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
gently caress yeah

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Jorts is probably the last good new thing on twitter.

I'm banned on twitter so thanks for this I was missing the drama lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

Is there any good Twitter, besides @horse_ebooks and maybe @dril.

i like green text reposter even if 99% of them are obviously fake. some of them make me laugh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Welcome, traveller. I'm Ana Marenghi. Author, dreamweaver, visionary, plus military industrial complex nepotism hire. I'm one of the few people you'll meet who've written more books than they've read.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Welcome, traveller. I'm Ana Marenghi. Author, dreamweaver, visionary, plus military industrial complex nepotism hire. I'm one of the few people you'll meet who've written more books than they've read.

I know writers who read, and they're all cowards.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it goes without saying but it's very funny that that Twitter dipshit isn't aware of what a functional illiterate is

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I mean, the "reading is ableist" discourse honestly started in a pretty interesting place before twitter got ahold of it. I have severe ADHD and I have struggled to read since the pandemic, I was doing an okay job focusing beforehand and it seems like something about it just blew all my tools up – I'd say 80% of my reading in the last few years has been audiobooks, the remaining 20% almost entirely being ARCs (which don't come in audio). I'm gradually getting back into reading paper (some books just don't work in audio: Friday Black fuckin rules and the AB had a solid voice actor, it's just meant to be read) but I do think "if you have disabilities that make reading difficult, it's okay to find new ways to engage with these stories" is actually a pretty solid piece of advice?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I thought the abelist discourse started as a rejoinder to the (correct) assertion that writers need to read a lot

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I dont know how anyone can write if they also don't absolutely LOVE reading. My self-loathing hits critical mass after a reading a few pages of my own work (same with recording). My own personal experience in meeting other writers is that the ones who don't read are the ones who can also push out 5k words of crap in a few hours and still feel good about themselves.

I met a lot of writers in workshops and at uni who were working on a project and they had zero knowledge of the genre. Best case scenario was they had read a Dresden Files book and thought it was so bad that they could do it too.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh yeah you need to read voraciously, just trying to steelman it a bit: picking up a paper book and reading it with your eyes isn't the only way to read a book, and it IS ableist to insist people who read less paper are somehow inferior and Not Reading, which was an argument I saw a bunch, and there was a whole lot of "well if you've got a disability maybe you shouldn't write" flying around, gently caress that noise. Books aren't amazing because they're made of paper, it's because they're vessels for stories.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 1, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
People who say audiobooks aren't really reading are idiots, and I wish I was doing the "make up a Guy to get mad about" thing on that but they exist.

I can't read without flipping through half a dozen tabs and forgetting I was reading until I find my way back by mistake, and I can't do audiobooks because I don't trust my earbud not to fall out and need to be able to hear with my other ear in case a door opens or someone I forgot existed makes a sound.

Posted from my GCHQ-issue iPhone

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The librevox recording of the ending of Faust Pt.1 is the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I dunno why I'm steelmanning the guy tbh, I guess I just feel like we should make fun of people for poo poo they actually believe (e.g. "it's ableist to criticise me for working at the war crimes factory") and there definitely was more depth to that particular day's discourse than "writers don't need to read"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

Surprisingly well! The contract for all four books has earned out so I started getting royalty checks. That is nice.

Well that's bad news. We need you starving and desperate so you'll write faster!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's ableist to expect a chef to eat fine foods and be able to identify ingredients by taste etc

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Listening to an audio book and reading writing are qualitatively different things. Snobishness about the two is bad but getting twisted about being able to call "listening" and "reading" the same thing is not it.

Audio books are frequently abridged and edited for length for example.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as far as audiobooks go it's just fundamentally not the same entertainment form as a regular book. pretty much everything comes down to the narrator's performance. although i find them difficult to listen to, personally. people speak at like 10% of my reading pace and it's hard to resist just reading the drat book myself. although I have listened to a couple really good ones. i remember some piece of poo poo fantasy heist novel that I wouldn't have thought about twice if it wasn't for the good narrator.

but who gives a poo poo, really. if it works for you whatever I guess. i can't stand podcasts without driving or otherwise being occupied but i can listen to Longmont Potion Castle all day.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
As a constant and habitual audiobook listener I honestly can't recall coming across an abridged audiobook via audible anyway, I think that practice died off as the limitations of physical storage media stopped being an issue. Like I'm sure they exist, but either they don't use it for sci-fi/fantasy/history/biographies which is my stomping grounds or they're vanishingly rare.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

it's ableist to expect a chef to eat fine foods and be able to identify ingredients by taste etc

hmm yes, just like expecting a composer of symphonies to hear fine music and be able to recognise notes by pitch.

aint nobody ever heard of a famous classical composer who was largely or entirely deaf. some german guy I think? wrote a couple of symphonies? anyway, just an absurd proposition.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
he went deaf after he had already started composing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moonmazed posted:

he went deaf after he had already started composing

As Terry Pratchett put it: it didn't stop him hearing the music, it stopped him hearing the distractions.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
okay well I've started something loving terrible here and I'm going to kill it in the cradle

what's some good fantasy that's like, street-level, small scale. Been reading a bunch of big expansive operatic stuff and I've got a lot of room for it in my heart but I wanna mix things up, I want one character in one town where the world is absolutely not at stake

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Witness for the Dead. No high stakes, just a melancholy gay necromancer investigating a murder in a big city.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

what's some good fantasy that's like, street-level, small scale. Been reading a bunch of big expansive operatic stuff and I've got a lot of room for it in my heart but I wanna mix things up, I want one character in one town where the world is absolutely not at stake

Empire of Wild by Cherie Dimaline. Some fantastic character work about a woman who desperately wants to reclaim her husband from the wolves... Author is Canadian first nations.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/29/896445003/empire-of-wild-tells-a-small-story-but-not-a-slight-one

npr article posted:

Empire Of Wild is a small book. But it is not a slight book. It is tight, stark, visceral, beautiful — rich where richness is warranted, but spare where want and sorrow have sharpened every word. And through multiple narrators (including free-floating, disjointed chapters from Victor which haunt every major angle of the plot), disconnected timelines, the strange geographies of memory and storytelling, Dimaline has crafted something both current and timeless, mythic but personal. It is the story of Joan and her love. Joan and her loss. Joan and her family. Joan and her monster.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 1, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a computing pun posted:

hmm yes, just like expecting a composer of symphonies to hear fine music and be able to recognise notes by pitch.

aint nobody ever heard of a famous classical composer who was largely or entirely deaf. some german guy I think? wrote a couple of symphonies? anyway, just an absurd proposition.

he literally could still hear them lol. he famously learned to recognize the vibrations of the music, plus as already said he was already a composer before going deaf.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

okay well I've started something loving terrible here and I'm going to kill it in the cradle

Ithanalin's Restoration by Lawrence Watt-evans

Wizard has a magical accident, apprentice has to put him back together again by herself because all the big name wizards are off dealing with a Big Bad

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fritz Leiber's work is the grand daddy of this. See also the Guards books from Discworld set in Ankh-Morpork which was very inspired by Leiber. If you don't mind weirdness the Ambergris series is good and Michael Cisco's The Divinity Student and The Golem. Aspects by John M Ford. The City of Dreaming Books and The Alchemaster's Apprentice by Walter Moers (his others also extensively feature cities but aren't restricted to one, if you love city fantasy you owe it to yourself to read Moers).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He actually had a small piece of metal he'd put in his mouth to feel the vibrations from the music off the instrument he was working with :science:

I think my favorite low stakes fantasy where it's just one dude and no world shattering apocalypse to worry about is pretty much a toss up between watt-evans Esthar series as mentioned above, or the Fred the Vampire series by Drew Hayes. Fred has a lot more than just one guy in it but 99% of the plot is basically him trying to be the best accountant he can be and a good friend to his buds.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it offends me on a deep level that one of the characters in Joel shepherds Cassandra Kresnov series is Texan, because the United States still exists on earth even if none of the Terran governments exist past Sol, because every time he says rear end in a top hat it gets written as arsehole. i refuse to believe that even 500 years in the future Americans will speak with a Commonwealth accent

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He actually had a small piece of metal he'd put in his mouth to feel the vibrations from the music off the instrument he was working with :science:

hmm, you're telling me he was able to compensate for his disability by using one of his other senses, in combination with an assistive technology? interesting.

that's completely different to audiobooks, of course. why? well,

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I can't read without flipping through half a dozen tabs and forgetting I was reading until I find my way back by mistake, and I can't do audiobooks because I don't trust my earbud not to fall out and need to be able to hear with my other ear in case a door opens or someone I forgot existed makes a sound.

I can't do audiobooks for other reasons, but I do listen to music and podcasts a lot in circumstances where I also need to be able to hear what's going on around me, and I've found bone conduction headphones to work really well for that; I use these but there's a lot of other options out there.

They're a lot more comfortable than earbuds, won't randomly fall off/out, and leave your ears uncovered so you can still hear your surroundings.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

it offends me on a deep level that one of the characters in Joel shepherds Cassandra Kresnov series is Texan, because the United States still exists on earth even if none of the Terran governments exist past Sol, because every time he says rear end in a top hat it gets written as arsehole. i refuse to believe that even 500 years in the future Americans will speak with a Commonwealth accent
not just Americans but Texans, that's even less plausible

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Depends if you want elves and dwarves fantasy or urban fantasy. If the latter will do, The Devil You Know by Mike Carey has nothing world changing in it. It's just one man investigating a library ghost.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

not just Americans but Texans, that's even less plausible

as a fellow (extremely slightly) individual of rural accent, i would rather die first

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am reading Raft (The first book in the xeelee sequence) and I am about half way through, when does all the super powerful stuff start happening? So far its all been "we are a lost colony just about surviving".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

notaspy posted:

I am reading Raft (The first book in the xeelee sequence) and I am about half way through, when does all the super powerful stuff start happening? So far its all been "we are a lost colony just about surviving".

the other books about different people in a different universe. sorry.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the other books about different people in a different universe. sorry.

Shall I jump to book two then?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

as far as audiobooks go it's just fundamentally not the same entertainment form as a regular book. pretty much everything comes down to the narrator's performance. although i find them difficult to listen to, personally. people speak at like 10% of my reading pace and it's hard to resist just reading the drat book myself.

I find that I can only listen to audiobooks of books I've already read. Since I already know the story I don't really get that urge to sit down and burn through the book in one sitting, and I don't mind big pauses in listening on days I don't drive anywhere. I just pick books I like that have good narration and enjoy the story at a slower pace.

I recently tried to do an audiobook for my first time through a book and nope. Can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

For anyone that's read Beware of Chicken, is there info anywhere as to if the second book will be published the same as the first? I have absolutely no experience with books written like this, released chapter by chapter on Royal Road or whatever, and would like to just read it as a complete book. Speaking of this first book though, it's been a long time since I've not been able to put a book down until I finished it. Loved it.