Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
My roommate just discovered a bunch of tiny (maybe slightly smaller than poppy seed sized) bugs infesting the base stems of her caladium plant. Any idea what these are and what should be done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

My roommate just discovered a bunch of tiny (maybe slightly smaller than poppy seed sized) bugs infesting the base stems of her caladium plant. Any idea what these are and what should be done?

Those look like some kind of aphid, so they are definitely going to want to get rid of them as they are sucking the sap and putting out honeydew that goes mouldy. Scraping and squishing them off in low numbers works, and they don't seem to like being washed off with soapy water. That's the general advice, I'm afraid I don't have anything specific for caladium aphids.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

Those look like some kind of aphid, so they are definitely going to want to get rid of them as they are sucking the sap and putting out honeydew that goes mouldy. Scraping and squishing them off in low numbers works, and they don't seem to like being washed off with soapy water. That's the general advice, I'm afraid I don't have anything specific for caladium aphids.

I usually go for castile soap (Dr. Bronner's crazy rear end works) or neem oil.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Dust your plants with diatomaceous earth (make sure not to breathe it in or rub it in your eyes!) then rinse them down when watering

Repeat 2-3x over the course of like a week or two as needed

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Aphids! Thanks for the advice. I've got a bunch of diatomaceous earth, so we'll give that a try.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Any idea what's up with these leaves on a Kentucky coffee tree that I have been growing from seed for the last month. I've been keeping the soil moist by adding alternating Shultz liquid plant food (properly diluted) and water to the base daily because it has been quite hot (southern Ontario). They are in direct sunlight from 6am till noon or so and I could be convinced it's heat related because I have 3 maples that have some sun scorch on their tips. If that's the case should these be brought inside midday if possible?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone have experience with serviceberry/saskatoons? I discovered some older uh... trees? I guess. No longer shrubs -- 15-20 feet tall at this point. They're in rough shape from neglect and I don't know if it makes sense to try to rejuvenate them.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I have a question, since this is the only thread that comes up much (other than the trump thread for some reason) when i search SA for "terrarium", is there a thread for terrariums (maybe with bugs innit) or is this it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A week or so ago I popped in to ask how to deal with mildew on a houseplant's potting soil and was told to set it outside in the sun for a few days. That cleared it right up! Thanks!

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

unlimited shrimp posted:

Anyone have experience with serviceberry/saskatoons? I discovered some older uh... trees? I guess. No longer shrubs -- 15-20 feet tall at this point. They're in rough shape from neglect and I don't know if it makes sense to try to rejuvenate them.

Serviceberries are nice trees - you get spring flowers, fall color, and nice berries. I would try to rejuvenate them personally.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ohhyeah posted:

Serviceberries are nice trees - you get spring flowers, fall color, and nice berries. I would try to rejuvenate them personally.

Works for me. :)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bismuth posted:

I have a question, since this is the only thread that comes up much (other than the trump thread for some reason) when i search SA for "terrarium", is there a thread for terrariums (maybe with bugs innit) or is this it?

I like to dabble in terrarium stuff, have a couple floating around the house right now. Not sure we get much discussion of it in here, though. If you can tolerate his voice, serpadesign on YouTube has some pretty cool stuff and guides.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

couldcareless posted:

I like to dabble in terrarium stuff, have a couple floating around the house right now. Not sure we get much discussion of it in here, though. If you can tolerate his voice, serpadesign on YouTube has some pretty cool stuff and guides.

I love Serpa, his stuff is goals, but my terrarium is a first time and very amateur lol, was just wondering if there was a spot to chat about them with goons

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If you dig back a bit, serpa has some beginner style builds and some good info on how to get started.
He does quite a few with containers he just happens to find at stores which is a good palce to start off vs trying to build your own enclosure.

I tend to use leca for my false bottom with some charcoal in between it and the substrate. I had bought a big bag of terrarium substrate from a small shop here before they closed so I've been leaning on that, but I'm pretty certain serpa tells you what his mix is.

As for plants and hard scape stuff, that's where I'm sorta blind. I tend to keep an eye on my local nursery's stock and buy up weird little plants that I like, though I'm sure there's some online vendors that will provide a lot of the typical terrarium plants. I would also look at his video on moss propagation. You'd be surprised how much you can find around you and can just begin to grow it yourself. Amazon has some hard scape stuff and I've gotten a beautiful piece of California driftwood off a vendor on etsy. You also might have luck at a aquarium shop as well.

I've really been considering finally biting the bullet and doing a build with a pump and a more sophisticated scape, I just haven't been motivated quite enough. They are definitely fascinating and scratch a weird itch that I have. If you do make anything, post pics!

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

The landscapers injured my tree with a string trimmer. It doesn't go all the way around but I still would have preferred they be you know, at all careful. Is there anything I should do? My research says maybe staple black plastic over the wound to keep it moist. People say do not paint it, do not cover it in tar. So is there anything I should do or just let the tree heal (or not) on its own?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It doesn't have to go all around the tree to kill the tree. Take some pictures now, while it's healthy, and send them to your landscaper with a note saying "The workers severely damaged this tree, what can you do to make it right?" This is the sort of injury that doesn't have to kill the tree immediately to do damage: a big honking wound like that can get infected, a large area of unprotected wood can be invaded by borers, and on and on. You see that big area between the two parallel debarkings? That bark is going to die, because there's nothing feeding it. The actual size of the damage is worse than it appears at the moment.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Well I notified the landscaper of the damage already. My question is what else is there to do? Just wait and see, or any sort of treatment? Extra watering? I'm ticked off because my friend's mom gave me this tree. And if you're a loving landscaper you know you're not supposed to strip the bark off this stuff. Just stay a few inches away.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sous Videodrome posted:

Well I notified the landscaper of the damage already. My question is what else is there to do? Just wait and see, or any sort of treatment? Extra watering? I'm ticked off because my friend's mom gave me this tree. And if you're a loving landscaper you know you're not supposed to strip the bark off this stuff. Just stay a few inches away.

I wouldn't staple anything to the tree or directly wrap it in anything, but you could get a tree guard to protect it from further damage. As far as I know the general advice with tree wounds these days is not to put anything on them because it doesn't help.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Ok, thanks. I suppose I'll just monitor it and see how it does. I hope it pulls through.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My random shop phalaenopsis I was given last year seems to be pretty happy, but is there anything I should be doing to help it out with flowering?

It seems like it wants its flowers to be really close to the light but I'm worried if I move it actually onto the windowsill the leaves will burn from too much direct sunlight.

Should I fertilise it? I have some generic orchid fertiliser liquid I could give it, but I'd have to make up a pretty big quantity from the concentrate I think in one go. Could I just store the rest and use it up gradually?

Basically I'm delighted with its flower spike and all its buds but now I'm paranoid that the buds won't fully develop.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Organza Quiz posted:

My random shop phalaenopsis I was given last year seems to be pretty happy, but is there anything I should be doing to help it out with flowering?

It seems like it wants its flowers to be really close to the light but I'm worried if I move it actually onto the windowsill the leaves will burn from too much direct sunlight.

Should I fertilise it? I have some generic orchid fertiliser liquid I could give it, but I'd have to make up a pretty big quantity from the concentrate I think in one go. Could I just store the rest and use it up gradually?

Basically I'm delighted with its flower spike and all its buds but now I'm paranoid that the buds won't fully develop.

I would suggest just being patient. It takes a long time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I would suggest just being patient. It takes a long time.

Thanks, I'm cool with patience! I'm just a nervous plant parent cause this is the first time I've managed to keep a plant alive for this long much less happy enough to flower.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my bamboo palm is still doing well - it is having some new growth, slowly but surely. however I've had a couple stems where the leaves were dying so I removed them. Now I'm just left with the remaining stem. While new leaves grow out of this, or should the whole thing be removed?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My oxalis triangularis has been looking sad for a few months. The leaves slowly turn white, wither, and die. A couple new ones come up every day. I thought this was just normal going into dormancy, but it happened very slowly rather than all at once (like, over the course of 2 months, it went from right->left across the plant), and now some of the recently-sprouted leaves have started to have the same problem. Is this a fungal infection or normal dormancy behavior?

It's about 1.5feet from a large bay window, west-facing, so it gets plenty of indirect light and maybe an hour of direct just before sunset. The A/C is set around 78-80. Is this just a combo of dormancy + too warm for it? From what I've read I expected dormancy to be more of all-at-once rather than a slow change over 2mo.

[edit] Nevermind, I think. The back of the leaves have tiny white dots that scrape off but don't move, and a couple of live black thrips. So, it's probably gooddamn trips, unless the thrips are just newly-spread co-occurring issue on top of regular dormancy/heat issues. I'll treat the thrips, but does any of the other symptoms sound like dormancy/heat, or the thrips have been here longer than I think?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 21, 2022

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm getting access to a (tiny) garden plot in Denver, CO and I'm wondering if anyone would have any ideas for herbs, fruit, or vegetables that are native to the area, or might thrive in mile high conditions.

The area has an insane amount of Japanese beetles, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Garden shot from this afternoon

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm getting access to a (tiny) garden plot in Denver, CO and I'm wondering if anyone would have any ideas for herbs, fruit, or vegetables that are native to the area, or might thrive in mile high conditions.

Whatever you do, don't buy those drat "bag a bug" beetle traps. They catch a ton but they attract many tons more onto your plants that otherwise wouldn't have found them in the first place.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

First flower on the hibiscus. This variety of hibiscus was propogated originally in my great-grandfather's backyard. I've never seen anyone else with this exact color, as far as I know the only bushes are at my mom's house, at my aunt's house, and at my house.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

First flower on the hibiscus. This variety of hibiscus was propogated originally in my great-grandfather's backyard. I've never seen anyone else with this exact color, as far as I know the only bushes are at my mom's house, at my aunt's house, and at my house.

BEAUTIFUL! Very striking.

Hibiscus are my favorite, especially the doubles. I currently have 10 after having lost my orange double from this summer's heat.

What method of propogation? I have never tried but plan to experiment with that in the fall.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IblFaRD

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The one in our garden was I believe a section of roots broken up after my grandparent's house was sold, which spent some time at my aunt's and was broken up again. It hasn't taken very well at my mom's but in our yard it's going gangbusters.

You have some very nice colors, I like those ones that barely seem to be able to hold a form they're just so FLORAL

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Thought the thread would appreciate a picture tax after answering my questions about my cherry trees.

The fruits of my labor thus far, with probably a good five more pounds to come.

Canadian Bakin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 1, 2022

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

That Old Ganon posted:

I have no idea, but these guys would know: https://denver.extension.colostate.edu/programs/horticulture/

Skimming through some of the articles there and it sounds way different than East Coast gardening, particularly the much more alkaline soil.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Yo That Old Ganon, Thunderdome is having its 10th birthday party this week, you should come back and enter! Or anyone else who wants to write a very short story :madmax: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989882&pagenumber=40&perpage=40&userid=0#post525243894

But I am here with a plant question: some of my first batch of seedlings for this spring have a bit of fuzzy white fungus around the base. Are they doomed to die of damping off or is there a chance they'll recover? :ohdear:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Yoruichi posted:

But I am here with a plant question: some of my first batch of seedlings for this spring have a bit of fuzzy white fungus around the base. Are they doomed to die of damping off or is there a chance they'll recover? :ohdear:

It's really hard to say. There's a lot of fungi and poo poo that are benign or even beneficial to plants, and others that are not. Warm and moist is a good environment for them, and also usually for seedlings.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

I will persist with them then, fingers crossed they make it :)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Canadian Bakin posted:

Thought the thread would appreciate a picture tax after answering my questions about my cherry trees.

The fruits of my labor thus far, with probably a good five more pounds to come.

I don't trust cherries not to have worms anymore.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yoruichi posted:

Yo That Old Ganon, Thunderdome is having its 10th birthday party this week, you should come back and enter! Or anyone else who wants to write a very short story :madmax: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989882&pagenumber=40&perpage=40&userid=0#post525243894

I would say to pick off what you can and give them a little air. Be careful not to entirely dry them out of course, but they've already germinated so you don't need to keep that perfect humidity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solkanar512 posted:

I would say to pick off what you can and give them a little air. Be careful not to entirely dry them out of course, but they've already germinated so you don't need to keep that perfect humidity.
I think I've read that setting up a fan is good for seedlings in general, because the air movement makes them strengthen their little stems. If you did it now, you might lower the humidity fwiw.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think I've read that setting up a fan is good for seedlings in general, because the air movement makes them strengthen their little stems. If you did it now, you might lower the humidity fwiw.

That's how plants get stronk but I'd be worried that they probably wouldn't like the evaporation forcefully sucking humidity out of them. I wonder if it would work good with one of those fans that mist water at you for cooling yourself down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

my friends, do these types of things actually work? I need to get some pots through a 3-week vacation. All the Amazon results look cheap as hell, but maybe there's some brand or style that's decent?