Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Don't know if I mentioned it here yet but I got my first boat a few months ago, and having a ton of fun with it so far.

14' Rabco skiff, tri hull, super stable and will float in a puddle :v:

Is that just an aluminum folding work platform buckled to the deck as a poling platform? If so, that's pretty genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is that just an aluminum folding work platform buckled to the deck as a poling platform? If so, that's pretty genius.

It certainly appears so. :lol: better strap it down!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, it's a $50 harbor freight platform, fits loving perfect like it was made for the skiff lol.

Not really genius, I just didn't want to pay 500+ for a used or custom made poling platform that would be permanently drilled into the transom. I just started searching the internet for other options and came across this, looked like it would fit and it did. Works out better this way because it's removable, I don't always need it so it's nice having that option.

sharkytm posted:

It certainly appears so. :lol: better strap it down!

I have a turnbuckle at each end holding it down nice and snug. Also put some seadek on it, works awesome!

I think I'm going to need to re power it tho, the 9.9 isn't cutting it at all with three people on board, also pull start is for the birds. Looking into 25 or 30 horse motor with electric start. Mercury is coming out with these new motors so I might be looking into that.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/fourstroke/fourstroke-25-30hp/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think I'm going to need to re power it tho, the 9.9 isn't cutting it at all with three people on board, also pull start is for the birds. Looking into 25 or 30 horse motor with electric start. Mercury is coming out with these new motors so I might be looking into that.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/fourstroke/fourstroke-25-30hp/

My mom recently put a Tohatsu 20 on the back of her new to her 1964 Stauter, and it's been great so far. Biggest thing for her though was availability, the local Tohatsu dealer could get her a motor a lot quicker than Yamaha or Mercury. Still took 5 months for one to come in though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Tohatsus are great 4 strokes. We run one on our J and it may be a few pounds heavier than an 80s Nissan 2 stroke it’s wayyy less finnicky and still compact

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife has been maneuvering our horse trailer for years so she's the trailer pro in our family. You're right that it's so much easier with two people. She's gotten some comments at the launch from other guys saying they're envious that she's able to do it so well.

:respek: One day I backed the trailer into the water, my wife drove the boat right onto it, and while I was winching it up two guys pull into the next slip in a purple Baja* saying "Never. Let. Her. Go."

*Not the purple Baja I posted the Craigslist ad for. A different one.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My mom recently put a Tohatsu 20 on the back of her new to her 1964 Stauter, and it's been great so far. Biggest thing for her though was availability, the local Tohatsu dealer could get her a motor a lot quicker than Yamaha or Mercury. Still took 5 months for one to come in though.

Yep that's what I planned on getting. However, after deciding that I'm not gonna have more than two people in the skiff anymore (500 pound limit lol) I might not even bother because I might be getting a bigger skiff anyway.

Looking at 18' Pangas and the Hog Island SW16 currently.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This appears to be an offer of a free Folkboat ("Someone gave it to me, so now it is time to pass it on."), so I assume it needs enough money poured in to just buy a nice one instead:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/san-francisco-folkboat-us-77/7511193332.html

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pham Nuwen posted:

This appears to be an offer of a free Folkboat ("Someone gave it to me, so now it is time to pass it on."), so I assume it needs enough money poured in to just buy a nice one instead:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/san-francisco-folkboat-us-77/7511193332.html

How many months (years?) of growth is that hanging off her bottom and that stern line?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Expect to pay $300/mo for a slip and put about $3500 into it to keep it sailing

Folkboats actually are an active class and do most of their racing in the lee of the city, near south beach marina so if you get out with only putting $5k into the boat over three years it's probably worth your while

Sailing that boat in SF near the slot on a windy day is not for the faint hearted

For tootling around with a case of beer behind yerba buena island the price can't be beat. Also you have a lot of hyper local folkboat owners to lean on for maintenance and parts

Generally I'd say "a free boat is the most expensive boat you'll ever own" but you could probably wring two or three more good years out of it before it goes to Davey Jones' locker

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Expect to pay $300/mo for a slip and put about $3500 into it to keep it sailing

Folkboats actually are an active class and do most of their racing in the lee of the city, near south beach marina so if you get out with only putting $5k into the boat over three years it's probably worth your while

Sailing that boat in SF near the slot on a windy day is not for the faint hearted

For tootling around with a case of beer behind yerba buena island the price can't be beat. Also you have a lot of hyper local folkboat owners to lean on for maintenance and parts

Generally I'd say "a free boat is the most expensive boat you'll ever own" but you could probably wring two or three more good years out of it before it goes to Davey Jones' locker

You just listed out most of the reasons I have a Craigslist alert set up for "folkboat".

I think the harbormaster at Oyster Point quoted me something closer to $200/mo for a slip but that may have been for a 25-footer, which is just a little short for a folkboat.

More to the point, I don't actually know how to sail yet (I intend to take my first lesson at CSC this weekend). The craigslist alert is because I think they're awesome boats and I want to get an idea of what they're selling for around here.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

More to the point, I don't actually know how to sail yet

You'll figure it out pretty quick if you want to make it home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fake edit: to get the boat into a new slip you will need to get the boat inspected and insured so make sure you buy the boat on the first and the slip is paid up to the end of the month

Expect to pay $400 for an inspection and uh... $475 a year for insurance? I pay about $750 annually for a 35' boat

Haul out and new bottom paint will run you $750-1200, any yard can quote that. You'll probably need to replace a handful of planks and want to recaulk parts/most of the stuff below the water line. This stuff isn't hyper expensive so long as you don't need to replank the whole thing

So yeah you're looking at about $2500 just to take ownership of the thing and park it somewhere legally in the first 30 days. I would round up to $3000 because you're gonna want a new set of PFD, a new vhf handheld radio with gps ($175), new flare gun, couple of those blue square cockpit cushions that double as a flotation device, new cooler, and probably 200' of wire, pair of wire strippers, new battery and half a dozen festoon bulbs for your nav lights

Cal 20 periodically come up on the market, are bulletproof, will not rot, fastish, can be trailer sailed out of Richmond

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 20, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nobody ever wants the blue square cockpit cushions until your butt starts to hurt and it's 3 hours upwind back to the marina, suddenly you have a mutiny on your hands over who gets the last one

Also a good marker to throw overboard for the coast guard for when boo goes overboard from some ferry wake, your boat will not float at the same rate as a person in a current

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Fake edit: to get the boat into a new slip you will need to get the boat inspected and insured so make sure you buy the boat on the first and the slip is paid up to the end of the month

Expect to pay $400 for an inspection and uh... $475 a year for insurance? I pay about $750 annually for a 35' boat

Haul out and new bottom paint will run you $750-1200, any yard can quote that. You'll probably need to replace a handful of planks and want to recaulk parts/most of the stuff below the water line. This stuff isn't hyper expensive so long as you don't need to replank the whole thing

So yeah you're looking at about $2500 just to take ownership of the thing and park it somewhere legally in the first 30 days

Cal 20 periodically come up on the market, are bulletproof, will not rot, fastish, can be trailer sailed out of Richmond

Thanks, that's good info if he hasn't found some other suckerintelligent prospective boat owner by the time I've got at least a CSC Junior rating under my belt. It's less than I expected, actually.

Now if some other Bay Area goon wanted to pick it up, I promise to come sit on the deck and drink beer while you make repairs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't imagine why you'd need/want a rating to sail a free boat

The rating just exists to give them confidence in letting you sail their boat and not sink it

Sinking your own free boat is probably cheaper than trying to give it away (don't let the folkboat owner know that)

If you have $5000 to set on fire I'd just claim it, there's plenty of time to regret taking ownership later

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well that was a fun first race in... 3? years. Upwards of 20knts sustained, gusts north of 30. We only have the 180 headsail, no blade or 150...

It was fun, and given that we've never had the boat out in serious wind it was a good shakedown for the regatta this weekend. :getin:

Also, trip report on the epropulsion motor - we were making probably 2-3knts at full tilt into that headwind, which is just fine for getting out of the harbour, and everything else about having the electric motor is absolutely fantastic. Really like not having gas on board at all too.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm not sure what happened but on our last trip something hit the screen of our B&G Vulcan chart plotter and now there's a round spot on the screen that doesn't work about an inch in diameter. Is it possible to get replacement screens anywhere? I don't mind attempting to swap it myself as I imagine B&G would charge close to what the thing is worth to repair it, if they're even willing to do so. Their last firmware for it is from 2019 and it's listed at end-of-life.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Congrats, you get to break out another thousand!

So today I've actually made a bit of headway on my old man's mess in the boat I inherited two years ago. It feels good, but also bittersweet when I find post-it's with his notes and todos on them :unsmith:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wibla posted:

Congrats, you get to break out another thousand!

So today I've actually made a bit of headway on my old man's mess in the boat I inherited two years ago. It feels good, but also bittersweet when I find post-it's with his notes and todos on them :unsmith:

Ya'll still workin on it together. :yaycloud:

And you know exactly what PO to curse at. :unsmigghh:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Erwin posted:

I'm not sure what happened but on our last trip something hit the screen of our B&G Vulcan chart plotter and now there's a round spot on the screen that doesn't work about an inch in diameter. Is it possible to get replacement screens anywhere?

No

It's a hermetically sealed unit

I have a B&G 3" screen unit I bought with a cracked screen on extreme discount thinking I could do the same thing

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

Ya'll still workin on it together. :yaycloud:

And you know exactly what PO to curse at. :unsmigghh:

There is that :yaycloud:

I met the PO before my dad too, he's a piece of poo poo and the majority of the issues with the boat stems from his lack of upkeep. Sigh.

Got a little more work done today, mainly tidying up crap. Need at least a couple more passes before there's any point actually cleaning anything. Thank goodness I kept the dehumidifier running most of the time, or the boat would have been a moldy mess.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
What's a good way to get rid of a 40' racing single hull sailboat? Can't really sell it as there is only a particular subset of people that want a late 80s racing boat. It is not soloable and has no "real" crew accommodations. It belongs to my dad and his/our racing years are behind us. My brother and I want no part in it pretty much due to all the reasons to not own a: 40', non-soloable sailboat, with no cruising accommodations. My dad is having as much trouble getting rid of it as the charity he bought it from.

I will also add for shits and giggles... My dad has 3 sailboats albeit the other 2 are much more manageable (Hobie 16 and a 12 footer "I'm somehow too drunk to get the Hobie 16's mast up")

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Regatta trip report: Too much rake. Without really knowing the boat, we set it up based on the sailmakers recommendations. Considering he's won a lot and is always at the pointy end of the fleet, we figured this would be a good spot to start. We could point well, but not carry any speed.

Following the regatta, we backed off the rake setting, increased shroud tensions a bit, and were absolutely flying upwind in the last evening race. However on the first downwind leg the clip on the spin halyard decided to open, despite being taped up, and the rest of the race was loose lots of ground downwind, gain most of it back upwind, rinse repeat. That clip is going in the garbage and I'm just going to tie a knot in the spin halyard from here on out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah there's almost no market for IOR boats. I'm guessing it's a 40' one ton class?

There's actually a Facebook group called "IOR Landfills?"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/

Basically they cost as much to berth as a regular boat, and a 40' costs a lot to berth, plus restoring a boat that, as you pointed out, takes a crew of about 10 people to sail, plus the time/money/headache of restoring, in a market where nobody values IOR boats built in funny shapes to game a weirdly written rule, vs actually fast boats

Anyways TL;DR find a different charity to dump it on donate it to, or eat the loss and have the landfill deal with it rather than pay ~$700/mo to store the thing

There's a J/41 that's kind of the only IOR j boats ever built, it's on a trailer and has been floating between pastures and farms for decades now, usually sells for $1000-6000 which I think is basically the cost of tarps and trailer maintenance

Really sad. Too small inside to cruise, too much crap on deck to restore economically

Until you can get it to the landfill maybe put it on Craigslist/boat trader for $1500 and see if you can get someone to pay you to haul it away

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Hadlock posted:

Yeah there's almost no market for IOR boats. I'm guessing it's a 40' one ton class?

There's actually a Facebook group called "IOR Landfills?"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/203537404677541/

Basically they cost as much to berth as a regular boat, and a 40' costs a lot to berth, plus restoring a boat that, as you pointed out, takes a crew of about 10 people to sail, plus the time/money/headache of restoring, in a market where nobody values IOR boats built in funny shapes to game a weirdly written rule, vs actually fast boats

Anyways TL;DR find a different charity to dump it on donate it to, or eat the loss and have the landfill deal with it rather than pay ~$700/mo to store the thing

There's a J/41 that's kind of the only IOR j boats ever built, it's on a trailer and has been floating between pastures and farms for decades now, usually sells for $1000-6000 which I think is basically the cost of tarps and trailer maintenance

Really sad. Too small inside to cruise, too much crap on deck to restore economically

Until you can get it to the landfill maybe put it on Craigslist/boat trader for $1500 and see if you can get someone to pay you to haul it away

Why yes, it is a 40' one ton IOR. I will take a look at that page and see if anyone is interested (it is the Jameson Whiskey boat from the 1987 Admiral's Cup if anyone is curious). My mom would be on board but I am not sure my dad feels a carbon/kevlar with titanium blah blah blah... boat belongs in a landfill. My dad pulled it out of the marina when they raised their rates so it just sitting out on an anchor wasting away. Has only moved when it pulls up the anchor.

nollij fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 1, 2022

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Last week I was in Dublin, Ireland on a cruise, and while waiting on a tender in Dún Laoghaire harbor to get back to the ship, I noticed what looked like a single class of wooden sailboats all anchored in the harbor together.

Turns out they're a bunch of day sailers that were built in the 1940s-1960s, and are now raced as a one design class in Dublin. Been racing for over 50 years.

https://glenclass.com/

Anyhow, enjoy a bit of the results of my curiosity.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Cool, they look similar to Folkboats, same vintage and still actively raced around the world. They stand up well to heavy breeze so they are popular in SF bay.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I know exactly nothing about blow boats, but this made me think of the San Francisco Bird Boats

https://supernaturaldesign.com/bird-boats

I think they're longer but pretty similar

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Apropos of nothing, someone brought a J105 to Lake Lanier. I reckon that thing is going to struggle to sail to an 87 against a Tiger10, J90, Turbo Soverel 33 and an Elliot 770.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You can sail surprisingly well upwind in really light breeze with the kite on the 105…

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Boat vacation over. I count 24 nights aboard, 31 engine hours. Weather has been cold and windy, so we've been stationary a lot. The sea was absolutely full of lion's mane jellyfish almost everywhere too so we didn't get to swim much.

This was our first vacation on the Swedish coast, so we had a lot to learn. The archipelago is amazing but unfortunately we didn't get a chance to anchor in the wild because my family are uncomfortable with that unless the conditions are optimal.

But we made the most of it. Our route was, from memory, Oslo - Oscarsborg - Ekenäs (Koster) - Tanumstrand - Bohus-Malmön - Bovallstrand - Grebbestad - Daftö - Hankø - Oscarsborg - Oslo.

One thing we learned is that gas bottles have a different attachment thingy in Sweden so we didn't get to exchange bottles, but we made it through on the one we had.

Another thing is that since blackwater dumping is illegal in Sweden we had to get comfortable with the sucking stations. I had to make a modification to my boat to make it work properly. This loving chain denied a proper seal with the hose, it just sucked air:

So I hacked it off with a screwdriver and hammer.

After that it worked perfectly.

What else? Sweden sucks at coffee, bread and beer. So bring enough coffee, and buy frallor. Have some kind of wheeled cart so you can haul enormous quantities of proper beer when you're near a Systembolaget.

Oh yeah and fill up with diesel in Norway obviously. I actually made the whole trip on one tank so I didn't have to fill in Sweden where it's 50% more expensive (because of tax exemption in Norway). Even so it hurts...

No technical issues or troubles, but I had one incident where I crashed into another boat trying to dock in some side wind. Made a nasty dent in my own gelcoat, but the other boat was fine. Still, the lady in it was absolutely furious. Completely off the hook livid, it was weird.

I guess that's about it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

While the wind was very light and dying tonight, the racing was still fun - we snatched a second place finish out of the jaws of first (sailed right into a hole).

The sunset sure made up for it though.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 19, 2022

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What's the consensus on shrink wrapping a boat for the winter? I'm in Michigan where it gets cold and $250 doesn't mean much when I consider how much any repair would cost but I have a quality OEM polyester cover if that means anything.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

two_beer_bishes posted:

What's the consensus on shrink wrapping a boat for the winter? I'm in Michigan where it gets cold and $250 doesn't mean much when I consider how much any repair would cost but I have a quality OEM polyester cover if that means anything.

I'm in Michigan and have never had my boat shrink wrapped, but I can give a few pointers/concerns for using just a cover. My boat didn't come with a cover so I have the finest cover that was available at Bass Pro the day I brought the boat home. Make of that what you will.
  • I think snow sticks to the texture of a cover more than shrink wrap so you'll want to go out and broom it off to keep the weight down. A leaf blower or the snow broom you keep in your car both work fine depending on how heavy the snow is. First winter, I had one of the telescoping poles that keeps my cover in a tent shape collapse into its shortest length and then ended up with a freeze/thaw cycle pooling in that area of the cover. If this happens its a big pain to fix until it completely melts and you can syphon the water off and fix your pole. Getting into the boat and doing a leg press to push the cover back up helps though. If you do gently caress up and let water pool in your cover, it will degrade the waterproofing of the cover. This leads to doing that leg press on damp carpet.
  • Biggest plus for me in not shrink wrapping is flexibility. Everyone needs to get their boat shrink wrapped at the same time so you end up having to schedule around shop availability. This may not be a huge deal if you don't also winterize your own boat since many shops do both.
  • Last year I decided tent poles weren't ideal for holding up the weight of snow since they concentrate all the force onto the tip of the pole. I ended up making a PVC monstrosity that works like the top of a covered wagon. It cost more in fittings than I had planned (I think it came out to about $80) and it isn't compatible with all boat shapes, but it held up really well this past winter and it folds flat for storage. I'll probably get a picture soon. I imagine a similar contraption would work equally well for shrink wrap.
  • Regardless of what you choose, make sure you have a reasonably tight seal around the perimeter. My mother had her pontoon boat shrink wrapped and they left a small gap around one of the doors. This allowed a family of racoons to get in and destroy the interior. Make sure you have insurance too.
  • Also applies to both, throw some desiccant in. I throw a couple pounds of the stuff in every year and the packets are always noticeably inflated by spring.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm in Michigan and have never had my boat shrink wrapped, but I can give a few pointers/concerns for using just a cover. My boat didn't come with a cover so I have the finest cover that was available at Bass Pro the day I brought the boat home. Make of that what you will.
  • I think snow sticks to the texture of a cover more than shrink wrap so you'll want to go out and broom it off to keep the weight down. A leaf blower or the snow broom you keep in your car both work fine depending on how heavy the snow is. First winter, I had one of the telescoping poles that keeps my cover in a tent shape collapse into its shortest length and then ended up with a freeze/thaw cycle pooling in that area of the cover. If this happens its a big pain to fix until it completely melts and you can syphon the water off and fix your pole. Getting into the boat and doing a leg press to push the cover back up helps though. If you do gently caress up and let water pool in your cover, it will degrade the waterproofing of the cover. This leads to doing that leg press on damp carpet.
  • Biggest plus for me in not shrink wrapping is flexibility. Everyone needs to get their boat shrink wrapped at the same time so you end up having to schedule around shop availability. This may not be a huge deal if you don't also winterize your own boat since many shops do both.
  • Last year I decided tent poles weren't ideal for holding up the weight of snow since they concentrate all the force onto the tip of the pole. I ended up making a PVC monstrosity that works like the top of a covered wagon. It cost more in fittings than I had planned (I think it came out to about $80) and it isn't compatible with all boat shapes, but it held up really well this past winter and it folds flat for storage. I'll probably get a picture soon. I imagine a similar contraption would work equally well for shrink wrap.
  • Regardless of what you choose, make sure you have a reasonably tight seal around the perimeter. My mother had her pontoon boat shrink wrapped and they left a small gap around one of the doors. This allowed a family of racoons to get in and destroy the interior. Make sure you have insurance too.
  • Also applies to both, throw some desiccant in. I throw a couple pounds of the stuff in every year and the packets are always noticeably inflated by spring.

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I have an appointment in a month with the dealer to have them winterize it for me so they can deal with a couple small warranty issues at the same time so I have some time to think about how I'm actually going to store it this year.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
We use an old vinyl billboard tarp and a PVC/wood structure. Shrink wrapping is incredibly wasteful, expensive, and traps a ton of moisture so you need desiccant to keep the boat dry. Our structure slips over the transom and attaches to the bow cleat, with a central freestanding support post. It's 2 long pieces of PVC conduit, plus PVC pipe bows and collars that attach to the central conduit with zip ties. It takes about 15 minutes to set up or break down, and has lasted 7+ years. If you're storing it in a yard where you can't access it, shrink wrap might be a better idea. If it's done correctly, it can withstand gale force winds and snow better than a tarp because of the tension strap around the rail.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Somebody posted a couple weeks about an Alden designed boat

The bay area is home to Mayan, an Alden schooner which famously was owned by some 60s rock musician since the early 1970s, has been in near constant use all over the west coast and Caribbean, originally built in 1947

https://medium.com/schoonermayan/schooner-sails-a-story-of-ever-shrinking-overlap-6e6ab0a962c5

Might be the best documented boat on the west coast after Merlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hadlock posted:

Somebody posted a couple weeks about an Alden designed boat

The bay area is home to Mayan, an Alden schooner which famously was owned by some 60s rock musician since the early 1970s, has been in near constant use all over the west coast and Caribbean, originally built in 1947

https://medium.com/schoonermayan/schooner-sails-a-story-of-ever-shrinking-overlap-6e6ab0a962c5

Might be the best documented boat on the west coast after Merlin

I've sailed on Curlew (pictured in that article) multiple times during the Festival of Sail events in San Diego. Gorgeous boats those Alden's.

Edit: Curlew was built in 1926 and charter's out of Dana Point.