Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've built the PG Exia (with lighting), PGU and PG Gundam MK-II

The MK-II was the hardest and that's only because it's the oldest. Only Gundam kit I've built with screws.
Still actually has a couple of parts I missed when building that I never got around to going back and putting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Do an RG Evangelion at some point, they're really good builds.

There's also going to be a RG Gao Gai Gar, but it's not out yet.

The Evas are good, and aren't incredibly frustrating or anything, but they've got a lot of small pieces and a lot of stickers. Might not be an ideal second kit, but it's up to you.

One weakness of the Eva kits that only comes up if you get all of them is that they're very similar builds. Not a big deal for one, but if you get all six mass release kits, space out the builds.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Veotax posted:

The MK-II was the hardest and that's only because it's the oldest. Only Gundam kit I've built with screws.
Still actually has a couple of parts I missed when building that I never got around to going back and putting in.

Yeah the older PG kits with screws* are poo poo. Fire them into the sun.

*screw for the battery compartment is fine, other screws are donkeys.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Unicorn mgeex was stressful with the led sheet but that was more with the idea of breaking it rather than it being actually difficult

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I am jonesing for the backorder status to end for HG Gespenst, RG God and Garudagear Beluga. Does anyone know if the Dragonair sets got a retooling like what Bandai did with L-gaim?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
I finished building the MG Gyan, and it is probably my favorite of the MG OYW suits (aside from the GM 2.0, that one is perfect), it feels very much like a 2.0, right down to the awful decals. It's far taller than I thought it would be

it's a readily available MG at the moment and I wholeheartedly recommend it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I am jonesing for the backorder status to end for HG Gespenst, RG God and Garudagear Beluga. Does anyone know if the Dragonair sets got a retooling like what Bandai did with L-gaim?

My HLJ Gespenst just went through a few hours ago.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This was delayed because I'm a schmuck, but Midjack has made an extremely generous offer to provide the prize pool for Backlogust. I know this is short notice, but are there any takers this year?

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

tenderjerk posted:

I finished building the MG Gyan, and it is probably my favorite of the MG OYW suits (aside from the GM 2.0, that one is perfect), it feels very much like a 2.0, right down to the awful decals. It's far taller than I thought it would be

it's a readily available MG at the moment and I wholeheartedly recommend it

GM 2.0 is the best boy. Looks like cartoon, can pose, no extra junk A+.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Anyone can tell me the website of the guy who physically goes to the Gundam Base store for you?

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

grassy gnoll posted:

This was delayed because I'm a schmuck, but Midjack has made an extremely generous offer to provide the prize pool for Backlogust. I know this is short notice, but are there any takers this year?

I have an asston of unbuilt stuff after not having touched any of my kits for months due to work ramping up. Assuming I have something that fits the bill then count me in! Will finally get to break in the single-blade Madworks nippers my spouse got me for my birthday.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm new to all this and my backlog is still small, what's all involved with Backlogust?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Adding in scale ships and planes and I have a backlog taller than I am, so anything to add motivation will be welcome.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My backlog for Gundams is only two small kits.

Now my robot model kit backlog in general is a different story, but that's not relevant

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

I'm up for any sort of motivation to tackle my backlog.
Edit: Presuming that any gunpla counts.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

War and Pieces posted:

Anyone can tell me the website of the guy who physically goes to the Gundam Base store for you?

https://sidesevenexports.com/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

grassy gnoll posted:

I've got a pile of stuff to do, how does this work? Just show all I build over the month? I'm halfway through the RG Wing, can that count?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have eight pg's a 1/35 sinanju bust and the mg deep striker in my backlog, but I also have a baby daughter and a seven year old, so my backlog will remain enormous for the foreseeable future.

Godspeed to the rest of you.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I think I just added number 43 to my backlog, so I'm definitely down for it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Backlogust is Back!

It's the most magical time of the year, when people from the normal hemisphere are trying not to die of heat stroke and thoughts turn to the enormous pile of plastic most of us accumulate.

The premise is a simple one - build kits, get prizes. More elaborate kits are worth more points. Entry is equally simple: take a picture of your unassembled kit along with a time stamp from this page so there's no funny business with who gets what on account of what counts. When you're done, post a picture of the finished kit.

I'm altering the rules from last year to encourage painting - it's easy to slap together a high grade in an afternoon, but vastly more time-consuming to paint it.

Points values are as follows.

Haros and other tiny kits - 1/2 a point
High Grades or other manufacturer equivalent - 1 point
Master Grades and Real Grades and equivalent - 2 points
Perfect Grades and equivalent - 3 points

Painting gives you an automatic two bonus points, so painting up your garden variety Zaku will get you the same number of points as putting together the PGU RX-78. Again, make sure you're posting the before pictures with a time stamp, and that your model is obviously painted - don't be like me and spend weeks painting a MG only for it to look exactly like it did before you primed it.

Points will rack up through the month, and our deadline will be 11:59:59 PM, GMT-11 on August 31st, to give everyone the maximum amount of time to complete their stuff.

The person with the highest points will pick first from the prize pool, and so on down until the prizes run out. On that note, everyone please extend an enthusiastic thank you to Midjack, without whom there would be no Backlogust this year. Seriously, it's a big deal.

If anyone has any questions about the contest, please let me know either here or via PM. I can also be reached at my gmail account, username destysa.

As of this post, Backlogust is in effect. If you've just cracked into a kit, please go ahead and take your proof photo and we'll mulligan you in.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 2, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hm, I haven't built much in the last year, but my backlog has only been growing. Might be time to jump back in!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Adding in scale ships and planes and I have a backlog taller than I am, so anything to add motivation will be welcome.

I'll allow it. You may end up geting stuff from my scale backlog rather than the larger robot prize pool, but we'll see what we see.

Gripweed posted:

My backlog for Gundams is only two small kits.

Now my robot model kit backlog in general is a different story, but that's not relevant

Oh, but it is - any model kit you've got is fair game. Or if you're possessed of an incredible streak of self-abuse, if you want to scratch build something this month, that'll be worth a hell of a lot of points.

overlordbunny posted:

I'm up for any sort of motivation to tackle my backlog.
Edit: Presuming that any gunpla counts.

No discriminating by brand here, just tell me what it is when you post it and give me an idea of the complexity so I can give you a fair return on completion.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've got a pile of stuff to do, how does this work? Just show all I build over the month? I'm halfway through the RG Wing, can that count?

Post a picture of what you've got so far and we'll call it some kind of partial credit, depending exactly on how far along you are.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw man, I don't even have a backlog.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Aw man, I don't even have a backlog.

:mods:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

grassy gnoll posted:

Oh, but it is - any model kit you've got is fair game. Or if you're possessed of an incredible streak of self-abuse, if you want to scratch build something this month, that'll be worth a hell of a lot of points.

I've actually been considering selling some of my other unbuilt kits, and I feel like reducing the backlog through that way is counter to the spirit of the event, so my Backlogust will just be my Gundams

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have 5 kits in my backlog but due to depression haven't touched any of them in a year, I might try to build one over Backlogust. :unsmith:
MG 00Qan[T] Full Saber
MG 00 XN Raiser
MG Wing Gundam
MG Heavyarms Igel
HG Origin Char's Zaku II.

Ill probs start with the Zaku.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm gonna give this a shot solely to finish off the worst kit in my backlog. Photos to come when I get home.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I'm slowly getting unpacked after a move, but I might manage to get to work on my grandpa 3.0 or if I feel really ambitious I have a Hi Nu Ver Ka needing some love. Tldr I'm maybe in!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
does anyone know where I could find an up to date list of the official bandai gundam waterslide decal sheets? I just got the RG Zeong decal sheet (#131), but none of the lists I could find where even close to up to date. They're rare enough in the US (or at least just very inconsistently available) so I don't even know what's on offer.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OK never mind I forgot I had more tiny kits in another drawer. Here is my actual Gundam backlog

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just started and I'm super frugal, I can't help iiiit

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I forgot to include a way to prove the time I built this kit but I sat down and got it assembled and sanded this evening in about an hour and a half. I’ve had this kit and another sitting in my basement that I bought at the Gundam Base store in Tokyo all the way back in 2015.

I still haven’t though about the paint scheme yet but the assembly is one big step done!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I've got a stack of nearly identical G:tO kits that I would love to display but am dreading assembling over and over again, so maybe Backlogust will help me power through!

Last year Backlogust finally got me in the habit of panel-lining lower grade kits to make them pop, so even if I don't grind out a million kits I'll post along out of appreciation for the tradition.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LOL, I did the first bag of a Lego kit that came today, so doesn't count as backlog.

I've got an HG Origin Guntank I've been wanting to get to, I'll hit that next.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Does anyone know if the Dragonair sets got a retooling like what Bandai did with L-gaim?

Strictly ‘80s.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
My backlogust is going to be me going to the post office and actually shipping out prizes I owe peeps. orz

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Okay, goonerinos, I wanna play Backlaugust Backlogust too.

I have a pile of kits I bought last year that I never got around too, plus some I bought at Tekko a couple of weekends ago. I also have three more kits showing up tomorrow and Heavyarms Custom late into the month.

The two on the left I bought at Tekko and built on Monday and Tuesday. All I have is my Google Photos time stamps and my Twitter for both of them as evidence that I did them in August, so I hope they can be grandfathered in (links are to the tweets) :v:

Sixteen kits in all if everything shows up in August, plus more if I end up buying more. One master grade kit and fifteen high grade kits or equivalent.

Frieza

Mega Man X: Second Armor

I'd rate both of those as high grade equivalent kits, but I'm at the mercy of the judges.

Chipping away at the EW Shenlong currently.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Good luck Backlogust peeps, remember to pace yourself and drink plenty of water.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Had to deliberate which bit of the backlog I could realistically do in August. Think we're going with this:

Hope timestamp there isn't too out of focus, can redo if need be.

2x Bandai 1/1000 AAA-Class DX
1x Bandai 1/1000 Aldeberan fancy lights and stuff edition
1x Plamax MF-52 1/20 VF-31c nose
1x Plamax MF-51 1/20 VF-25f nose

I may regret this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I have faith in you. You were brave enough to attempt the 1/20 Valkyrie, you can handle these.