Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also it should be noted that it's almost impossible to differentiate Celtic from Germanic tribes in many of these regions, and even ancient authors disputed the ethnicity of some (like the Bastarnae). Presumably the main criterion they're relying on to differentiate them is language, but since we don't even have preserved written language from many of these regions we're basically relying on the judgments of Romans (mainly Caesar and Tacitus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

States based off rivers and mountains, here's the non-Colorado'd one

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't recognize the zigzag line in north texas

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats weird, to get on 95 from Raleigh it would take 30+ minutes of driving directly east.

I used to resent this but after driving 95 through Richmond many times I'm kind of grateful Raleigh isn't burdened with that through traffic.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bodyholes posted:

I used to resent this but after driving 95 through Richmond many times I'm kind of grateful Raleigh isn't burdened with that through traffic.

not a day goes by that i don't wish i35 got pushed a hundred miles east

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

pik_d posted:

States based off rivers and mountains, here's the non-Colorado'd one

But NJ PA border is already based on a river ???

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ASAPRockySituation posted:

But NJ PA border is already based on a river ???

Yeah I think they just didn't want really small states (except Chicago???)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Edit: nevermind

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Worldle is a lot of fun but the default game is either way too easy or super hard. Oceania and the lesser antilles in particular seem to be a frustration. On the bright side, I know sub saharan africa a lot better than I thought I did!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://i.imgur.com/WLtoraB.mp4

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Georgia is definitely more safe than Germany.

I also like Mexico being "other". What does that even mean?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

It means that they broke it down by state.

quote:

Do Not Travel To:

Colima state due to crime and kidnapping.
Guerrero state due to crime and kidnapping.
Michoacan state due to crime and kidnapping.
Sinaloa state due to crime and kidnapping
Tamaulipas state due to crime and kidnapping.

Reconsider Travel To:

Baja California state due to crime and kidnapping.
Chihuahua state due to crime and kidnapping.
Coahuila state due to crime and kidnapping.
Durango state due to crime.
Guanajuato state due to crime.
Jalisco state due to crime and kidnapping.
Mexico state due to crime and kidnapping.
Morelos state due to crime and kidnapping.
Nayarit state due to crime.
Sonora state due to crime and kidnapping.
Zacatecas state due to crime and kidnapping.

Exercise Increased Caution When Traveling To:

Aguascalientes state due to crime.
Baja California Sur state due to crime.
Chiapas state due to crime.
Hidalgo state due to crime.
Mexico City due to crime and kidnapping.
Nuevo Leon state due to crime and kidnapping.
Oaxaca state due to crime.
Puebla state due to crime and kidnapping.
Queretaro state due to crime.
Quintana Roo state due to crime.
San Luis Potosi state due to crime.
Tabasco state due to crime.
Tlaxcala state due to crime.
Veracruz state due to crime.

Exercise Normal Precautions When Traveling To:

Campeche state.
Yucatan state.

Kidnapping: not a crime

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BonHair posted:

I am choosing to believe it means that you will be mistakenly shot when trying to go back from mexico to the us.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just want to know how much caution I need to use in western sahara. :shrug:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BonHair posted:

If you wanna have a fun weekend on the cheap or get a root canal it's cool.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BonHair posted:

For a tourist it is, extremely low rate of crime

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I find it odd western Europe is less safe than eastern.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Count Roland posted:

I find it odd western Europe is less safe than eastern.

I think we have that map before and it's from the US govt on terror attacks. So an american visiting london or paris is theoretically in more danger than somewhere in eastern europe.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

haha, 2019, when we were all so naive. now, let me take a big sip of coffee and read the subheading...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

redleader posted:

haha, 2019, when we were all so naive. now, let me take a big sip of coffee and read the subheading...

It rates ability to respond, not the will to respond

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

steinrokkan posted:

It rates ability to respond, not the will to respond

Still ought to have taken off a few points for letting a critical portion of the vaccine stocks expire.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Looks at Ireland vs. the UK:

*uhmm yes map seems legit*

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you're used to the US then you should be exercising extra caution in places like Paris cuz you're way more likely to encounter scammers, pickpockets, maybe even get mugged as a tourist. Than as a US american walking around the US.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you're used to the US then you should be exercising extra caution in places like Paris cuz you're way more likely to encounter scammers, pickpockets, maybe even get mugged as a tourist. Than as a US american walking around the US.

American? Walking? In US?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Those maps always struck me as kind of stupid because in like 95% of countries in the world, by far the most dangerous activity a tourist will do is be in a moving vehicle, and the only way I have ever personally known anyone injured while travelling is in vehicular accidents, plus the daughter of a friend of my moms who died from encephalitis in New Zealand after getting water up her nose in a hot spring.

US and British travel advisories also always strike me as stupid because they are stupid. Like "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" for Japan? Over what, the risk of being attacked by a sauna monkey? (That's not an oblique racist term, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62292511 )

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saladman posted:

US and British travel advisories also always strike me as stupid because they are stupid. Like "Level 3: Reconsider Travel" for Japan? Over what, the risk of being attacked by a sauna monkey? (That's not an oblique racist term, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62292511 )

"You morons keep going to Japan and getting lost or losing your luggage or getting into god knows what kind of trouble, please stay home and make life easier for our consulates"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Saladman posted:

Those maps always struck me as kind of stupid because in like 95% of countries in the world, by far the most dangerous activity a tourist will do is be in a moving vehicle, and the only way I have ever personally known anyone injured while travelling is in vehicular accidents, plus the daughter of a friend of my moms who died from encephalitis in New Zealand after getting water up her nose in a hot spring.

Covid restrictions.

I mean, I love that it's phrased as "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has determined Japan has a high level of COVID-19." Like uhhhhh compared to the US? Not really. But Japan still has restrictions for individual travellers and you apparently still have to quarantine regardless of vaccination status.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Saladman posted:

wtf. She get the N fowleri or is there some other reason to stay out of insufficiently hot water

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Jippa posted:

I think we have that map before and it's from the US govt on terror attacks. So an american visiting london or paris is theoretically in more danger than somewhere in eastern europe.

Its not just terrorism. Street crime is way higher in London or Paris than in most of Eastern Europe, your odds of being randomly mugged, pick pocketed, or beaten up are way higher.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

wtf. She get the N fowleri or is there some other reason to stay out of insufficiently hot water

I just asked, apparently it was meningococcal septicaemia from "group B bacterium". I just found her obituary, goddamn, that brings up some unpleasant memories.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Blut posted:

Its not just terrorism. Street crime is way higher in London or Paris than in most of Eastern Europe, your odds of being randomly mugged, pick pocketed, or beaten up are way higher.

Is this true? Any idea as to why?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Is this true? Any idea as to why?

racist police, racist policies leading to racial inequity leading to no opportunities but crime and the black market

in general lack of opportunity and wealth inequality make these things fester

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 3, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

i say swears online posted:

racist police, racist policies leading to racial inequity leading to no opportunities but crime and the black market

in general lack of opportunity and wealth inequality make these things fester

Sure, but compared to Eastern Europe? I would expect London and Paris to be overall better on all those fronts than say Minsk or Budapest or Belgrade.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Sure, but compared to Eastern Europe? I would expect London and Paris to be overall better on all those fronts than say Minsk or Budapest or Belgrade.

It's not what I expected, but 2 minutes on Google backs it up(not exactly a ton of research, I know).

have a random map

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spain/france split :popeye:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Elyv posted:

It's not what I expected, but 2 minutes on Google backs it up(not exactly a ton of research, I know).

have a random map

There might just be less reporting of theft in these countries though, they might not count shoplifting in certain countries as well for example

Crime statistics are always hard to compare because of stuff like this.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Elyv posted:

have a random map

If you had asked me to guess I would have coloured the map in opposite colours. Denmark is the highest, really?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Countries where people have confidence in their police.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Kamrat posted:

There might just be less reporting of theft in these countries though, they might not count shoplifting in certain countries as well for example

Crime statistics are always hard to compare because of stuff like this.

steinrokkan posted:

Countries where people have confidence in their police.jpg

I think this is it. This is heavily confounded by the variable "do I (reasonably or not) expect the police to be of assistance in any particular theft?" A country with a less corrupt/more effective police force will get more crimes reported.