Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

indigi posted:

yall know you can just steal these movies and not deal with the apps, right

ah but you see stealing on the internet requires friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think it just requires a Usenet account

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zvahl posted:

ah but you see stealing on the internet requires friends

:filez: is the Prisoner's Dilemma in action, everyone benefits the most when you all work together and no one snitches

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I will continue to pay for all my streaming services.

Poors can get hosed.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I will continue to pay for all my streaming services.

Poors can get hosed.

Even Peacock?!?!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah its all just libs getting owned at their own significant expense by their spouses, regardless of genders

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh right did that "gen z survives in the woods" show come out yet

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Even Peacock?!?!

i dont know what that is

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a bad streaming service

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah its all just libs getting owned at their own significant expense by their spouses, regardless of genders

I don't think it's intentional but it's extremely funny how the make the American always look so bad. In the first season one of the couples was this mormon dude and some lady from Brazil. He talked about meeting her underage, and then talked about how he was civilizing her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think it's intentional but it's extremely funny how the make the American always look so bad. In the first season one of the couples was this mormon dude and some lady from Brazil. He talked about meeting her underage, and then talked about how he was civilizing her.

That lady lived in rural-rear end Brazil too. That guy takes like a week-long boat ride to get down to her, and then no one shows up to pick him up at the dock for like 5 hours and he's like "Maybe I should have studied Portuguese more"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

African dudes are getting mail order American brides? drat the times they are a changing

e: oh I thought 90 day fiancé was a show about mail order brides lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

indigi posted:

African dudes are getting mail order American brides? drat the times they are a changing

e: oh I thought 90 day fiancé was a show about mail order brides lol

Some of them arranged through marriage services yeah but I think this one was a mission trip romance? At least the African dude episode I remember was.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
in general, the american person is deeply unwell and the non-american person is scamming them but it's the kind of scam where both of the people are getting something out of it so it doesn't feel as bad?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

got around to watching the Last Emperor. Is good.

hits kinda different now that we know what a hosed up little freak puyi truly was

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

projecthalaxy posted:

Some of them arranged through marriage services yeah but I think this one was a mission trip romance? At least the African dude episode I remember was.

I don't remember off the top of my head but most of them meet through online dating services. Don't know if that counts as an arranged marriage.

There definitely a lot of creepy dudes, like Mark who is 60 and dates women around the age of 18 in Thailand. The big age gaps usually reveal those kinds of dudes.There are also pretty normal/normalish but very socially awkward dudes on there. In the first season one of the guys is a divorced dad, who met a lady from the Philippines around his age.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

indigi posted:

yall know you can just steal these movies and not deal with the apps, right

I'm not a demonic computer toucher so I don't know how.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

discovery folding hbo into discovery+ and shutdown hbomax is stupid for 2 reasons.

1. The discovery ap is not available on Sony consoles.

2. They are destroying a revenue stream. Disney is keeping Hulu instead of expanding disneyplus to include hulu stuff because that is 2 revenue streams.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Bro Dad posted:

hits kinda different now that we know what a hosed up little freak puyi truly was

adding more gore wouldn't matter. Its a movie about the tremendous changes china went through seen through the eyes of it's emperor and later community gardener puyi. The PRC literally turns him into a functional human bean with a spine.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm not a demonic computer toucher so I don't know how.

i probably have a version of utorrent i haven't updated in ten years because i'm scared the gummint will break it. i just click the lil red magnet and i get my treats

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

this seems even more sinister than mail order tbh. how does this work, our new Christian mission needs to import some Christian rear end to be fruitful

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't remember off the top of my head but most of them meet through online dating services. … In the first season one of the guys is a divorced dad, who met a lady from the Philippines around his age.

oh it doesn’t have to be vampiric? that’s cool

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

i say swears online posted:

i probably have a version of utorrent i haven't updated in ten years because i'm scared the gummint will break it. i just click the lil red magnet and i get my treats

bruh

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

2. They are destroying a revenue stream. Disney is keeping Hulu instead of expanding disneyplus to include hulu stuff because that is 2 revenue streams.

I think this mainly works if both services have poo poo people want to see. wtf is on Discovery+ (and why on earth would they keep that branding over HBO I think the new execs are full Simple Jack)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

discovery folding hbo into discovery+ and shutdown hbomax is stupid for 2 reasons.

1. The discovery ap is not available on Sony consoles.

Plus now you gotta sift through double the amount of content half of which is probably irrelevant to what you are looking for, its just dumb all around!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

indigi posted:

this seems even more sinister than mail order tbh. how does this work, our new Christian mission needs to import some Christian rear end to be fruitful

Typically, the situation is Western Christian (our lady in this case) goes to Subsaharan Africa or Central America for religion/peace corps/charity, meets local person, falls in love, works either privately or through service to move them to US (Canada, UK) to have a better life for beloved.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

I think this mainly works if both services have poo poo people want to see. wtf is on Discovery+ (and why on earth would they keep that branding over HBO I think the new execs are full Simple Jack)

Easy. You take the Warner Brothers library and whatever other library they own split movies and "prestige tv" to hbomax then split regular TV to discovery+. Bing bong

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're folding HBO Max into Discovery+ not the other way around?!?!? :psyduck:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

They're folding HBO Max into Discovery+ not the other way around?!?!? :psyduck:

That is the rumor. We will see.

The other rumor is discovery is considering ending adult swim

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think that realistically people "care" about it to the extent that they "cared" about Conan losing the Tonight Show, but it still seems like ending adult swim would be killing goodwill with their millennial customer base for no good reason. I guess reality tv is just so loving cheap to make that even something dirt cheap like Joe Pera Talks With You looks like wasteful expenditure in comparison.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
all i know is this: if these dickhead executives take away my ability to easily watch Eastbound & Down I'm gonna unsubscribe and only steal content from here on out

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

just watched ep 1 of The Rehearsal, lol

found this review, lmao

quote:

At that moment, barely five minutes into the first episode, I wanted to throw my laptop across the room or just to throw Nathan Fielder out of it. Not only is the gas-crew deception itself a reckless betrayal, but the gaze of superiority and dominance that he casts upon Kor struck me as arrogant, cruel, and, above all, indifferent. What I hoped for, more than anything, was for Kor to tell Nathan to get out of his apartment and his life—to cut his losses. What I craved was, at least, to hear Nathan ask Kor what that place-filler “Wow” means—to ask him for emotional specifics—and to hear Kor speak of his own feelings about being tricked. No such luck: Kor continues to play along, and Nathan shows no interest in what Kor thinks of being deceived by the man to whom (as Nathan says in voice-over) he has entrusted his life.

quote:

As a filmmaker, Fielder displays interest not in any physical process unfolding over time but in his own intellectual process—in the authentic ingenuity of the working out of his conceit, which the onscreen events merely exemplify, like data points rather than experiences. He revels in his own thoughts as he tailors the conditions of his subjects’ lives to fit his storytelling, largely through his own voice-over. Fielder’s main real-life stake is the one onscreen: making the show a success. The vanity and the ambition of “The Rehearsal” are its driving forces. Fielder can’t relinquish control; his obsession with details, with predicted outcomes, suggests his very failure as a filmmaker—the failure to find a dramatic form for the full range of the series’s implications and experiences. If the series is meant to be comedy, so much the worse, for making light of problems that matter to the participants—and for making even lighter of the deceptions to which he subjects them. And, if “The Rehearsal” were revealed to be not documentary at all but a mockumentary—a throughgoing fiction, pranking us all, in which no real-life subjects have volunteered—it would be only a wet squib of disingenuous self-deprecation that exhausts itself in the first minutes of the first episode. Fielder goes in to confirm results, the prime one being his own powers of mastery, of anticipation, and, above all, of entertainment. As the series goes on (tiny spoiler), Fielder amps up the complexity of his rehearsals, creating an ever-deeper spiral of preparations and impersonations. His cleverness masks the hollowness of his schemes. No digression, no incidentals, no loose ends can intrude on Fielder’s taut, compact, self-contained sketches. He looks the Look at the people he films, but doesn’t seem to see them.

e: why would they destroy hbomax and roll it into discovery+ trashpit :(

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Aug 3, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

brugroffil posted:

found this review, lmao

"He's taking advantage of these people just because they want to be on TV!"

Yes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1554844771172188164

gah!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Walled Garden intensifies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bezos won't let me down and i'm going to get eleven seasons of wheel of time where i'm the only watcher

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
as long as all of these properties end up as playable characters in MultiVersus it's ok

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

as long as all of these properties end up as playable characters in MultiVersus it's ok

would be funny if there's a multiversus exec screaming at everyone else for more characters, more, always more

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
SETH ROGEN from AMERICAN PICKLE has JOINED THE FIGHT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

brugroffil posted:

found this review, lmao

this three stooges show is unconscionable. these narcissistic hosts are clearly not qualified to be plumbers, and what's most shocking about their disregard for the safety of other or even themselves is the way in which everyone around, including the film crew, seem indifferent and even enabling apart from the occasional annoyed outburst