Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Democratic Pirate posted:

Has anyone else run into bad chicken breasts? Setting aside the “yes, every time I eat a chicken breast :v:” joke, every so often I get a breast with extreme rubbery texture issues even though it was cooked the same way and to the same internal temp as breasts that come out perfect.

Yea, it's because common meat chickens have been bred to have ridiculously huge breasts at the expense of like... everything else. For example: quality, consistency, bird health, etc. So that's just a random thing that happens to them sometimes (another common-ish issue is really woody meat)

And don't get me wrong I still buy them sometimes cause they're cheap af, but there is a noticeable difference between the quality of supermarket chicken and "heritage" chickens from smaller farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Has anyone else run into bad chicken breasts? Setting aside the “yes, every time I eat a chicken breast :v:” joke, every so often I get a breast with extreme rubbery texture issues even though it was cooked the same way and to the same internal temp as breasts that come out perfect.

Yeah, that’s a thing. Phone posting, but Google “chicken woody breast” for more info.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah you can even see it in the meat sometines when buying it :shrug: I just eat thigh meat instead

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gross. Thanks all.

I never really noticed it until Covid, but that’s also when we switched to curbside services so I haven’t picked out my own chicken in years. Maybe the meat plants also stopped pulling out obvious bad breasts due to staffing issues and the fact that it won’t stop people from buying chicken.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

"Woody breast"

Worse than bloody thighs from a broken leg.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have never had this 'woody breast' thing and it sounds absolutely revolting.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh man I didn't realize that's where the blood came from sometimes, that makes so much sense

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Scientastic posted:

If you're doing the recipe that came up on Google when I search "almond cream croissant birch syrup" you should probably use a proper recipe and not one from a cookbook based on a videogame

And if you are doing that recipe, leave it out, it's in with a ton of sugar and amaretto, you can sub almost anything in and it will still taste fine, it looks like it's only in there because it's a resource in the game

That’s the one! And hey, I’m enjoying it so far and it got me to cook with my friends, this is just the first recipe in it that I’ve hit that’s made me go “what the heck is that?” Most of them are just perfectly normal with a video game branding. I’ll leave it out then.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pookah posted:

I have never had this 'woody breast' thing and it sounds absolutely revolting.

It is. Imagine taking a bite of a perfectly-cooked chicken breast and having it crunch in your mouth. It's awful.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Midniter posted:

It is. Imagine taking a bite of a perfectly-cooked chicken breast and having it crunch in your mouth. It's awful.

Ah ah ah that is so goddam nasty I can't even imagine.
Holy poo poo that is so so horrible.

AAAAA

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Mmm, cheap meat.

My son asked for “soup with paneer and broccoli”, so I made a soupy dal with a bit of tamarind and coconut milk, roasted some spiced broccoli, and fried some paneer with spices until it was crispy. He loved it (because it was delicious).

And dino., I also did your simple carrot dish with the cumin and mustard seeds (such a great recipe) but did it with a courgette that needed using. It worked really well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

"Woody breast"

:gonk:

...oh, on chicken. Yeah, that's gross too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

camoseven posted:

Oh man I didn't realize that's where the blood came from sometimes, that makes so much sense
Sometimes it's from a broken leg, but you can tell because there will also be, like, a broken leg. Usually it's just red near the bone for no negative reason. https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/safe-eat-bloody-chicken-article

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therattle posted:

Mmm, cheap meat.

My son asked for “soup with paneer and broccoli”, so I made a soupy dal with a bit of tamarind and coconut milk, roasted some spiced broccoli, and fried some paneer with spices until it was crispy. He loved it (because it was delicious).

And dino., I also did your simple carrot dish with the cumin and mustard seeds (such a great recipe) but did it with a courgette that needed using. It worked really well.

Has your son grown up in a paneer household or is he already more foodwise than both my parents in their 70s?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

coolusername posted:

That’s the one! And hey, I’m enjoying it so far and it got me to cook with my friends, this is just the first recipe in it that I’ve hit that’s made me go “what the heck is that?” Most of them are just perfectly normal with a video game branding. I’ll leave it out then.

There is some fun video game based cooking stuff out there, and honestly, if it gets you having a good time, who cares what the branding is?

Here's a FFXV one if you'd be interested. That's It! The Unofficial FFXV Community Cookbook

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There is some fun video game based cooking stuff out there, and honestly, if it gets you having a good time, who cares what the branding is?

Here's a FFXV one if you'd be interested. That's It! The Unofficial FFXV Community Cookbook

Yes, yes, I have a Star Trek cookbook, I can’t be a snob, but when the recipe pointlessly includes an ingredient for the sake of fitting the theme instead of being actually good, you should ignore it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Has your son grown up in a paneer household or is he already more foodwise than both my parents in their 70s?

Probably both! We eat paneer every now and again (usually in takeaways which are too spicy and not GF for him), but I have made it a few times and made dishes with shop-bought paneer more than a few times. He loves cheese and enjoys fairly strong flavours so he likes Indian food. He’s asked me to make sag paneer and dal before (he also loves spinach). His requests can sometimes be wacky but sometimes great. This one worked well. He’s also asked for kedgeree (made with smoked tofu) and tofu, rice and spinach with Japanese sesame sauce. In the spring we foraged some wild garlic and he suggested a wild garlic chickpea stew; we found a recipe for exactly that and it was really delicious.

therattle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 5, 2022

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just FYI if you don't already know, but paneer is crazy easy to make if you can get ahold of some cheap milk.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Just FYI if you don't already know, but paneer is crazy easy to make if you can get ahold of some cheap milk.

Yeah! It’s fun and easy.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Rattle what was the carrot recipe? I think you mentioned it a couple times, and I can’t for the life of me recall what it is. Probably mustard seed, cumin seed, hing, turmeric, and carrots, and then you finish it off with an acid? If it was me making that recipe, that’s likely what I’d tell people to do. Maybe sesame seed too?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Rattle what was the carrot recipe? I think you mentioned it a couple times, and I can’t for the life of me recall what it is. Probably mustard seed, cumin seed, hing, turmeric, and carrots, and then you finish it off with an acid? If it was me making that recipe, that’s likely what I’d tell people to do. Maybe sesame seed too?

Even simpler! Heat 1tsp each of cumin and mustard seeds in oil until they pop. Add grated carrot (I’ve done it with cabbage and courgette too, both of which work excellently). FrySaute on medium high heat for a few minutes until cooked to your liking. Cool for 5 minutes. Add lemon/lime juice and a generous amount of salt. Amazingly good for such a simple recipe. It’s really delicious and I think of you every time I make it!

What makes it even more delicious is that it’s got such an excellent effort:reward ratio. I bloody love recipes like that. That feeling that it’s not only delicious but really quick and easy adds an extra savour.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 6, 2022

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ohhhh yeah. If it’s that one, it works for pretty drat near any veg and comes out great.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I want to make paneer but milk is never cheap here, alas

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear livejournal

The kitchen is set up (mostly), and I was doing some gentle purging of stuff I never use. Asked the boyfriend if we could put the leftover Huel he had into a jar or something, because that ugly bag was giving me indigestion. He was like, “I’ll just throw it out. Didn’t realise how many varieties of things you always have as leftovers for me to graze on.

I do, and I also like to keep fruit in jars in the fridge because then it’s ready to eat, and it looks tempting there, so that you reach for that when you’re having the fridge door open and staring at things. I intend to get some clear containers for cut up veg as well. If it looks pretty and tempting, it’s more likely to get eaten rather than languishing in the back of the fridge.

Yes, this means that the boyfriend and I have moved in together.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

dino. posted:

Dear livejournal

The kitchen is set up (mostly), and I was doing some gentle purging of stuff I never use. Asked the boyfriend if we could put the leftover Huel he had into a jar or something, because that ugly bag was giving me indigestion. He was like, “I’ll just throw it out. Didn’t realise how many varieties of things you always have as leftovers for me to graze on.

I do, and I also like to keep fruit in jars in the fridge because then it’s ready to eat, and it looks tempting there, so that you reach for that when you’re having the fridge door open and staring at things. I intend to get some clear containers for cut up veg as well. If it looks pretty and tempting, it’s more likely to get eaten rather than languishing in the back of the fridge.

I assume you're the Dino that won season 8 of MasterChef?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congrats Dino!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Great point on repositioning fruit in glass jars - i snack more on fruit and veg after a party when they're in leftover delitainers and I never extended that to daily life!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Works for dank nugs!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

camoseven posted:

I assume you're the Dino that won season 8 of MasterChef?

🤣🤣🤣 no I’m a vegan Dino from New Jersey who’s a gay Indian guy. I was never on master chef. Ramsay’s face gives me the willies.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I don't post much, but I always pay attention to Dino posts because they are invariably very good, very informative, or just plain nice :).
Happy to hear you're doing well and are happy my distant Internet friend.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

dino. posted:

🤣🤣🤣 no I’m a vegan Dino from New Jersey who’s a gay Indian guy. I was never on master chef. Ramsay’s face gives me the willies.

Dino from master chef is all of those things except Indian!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dino. posted:

Dear livejournal

Glad to hear that's going well!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/joemcadam/status/1558130187929133056?s=21&t=GIbbwkDyKIe0hMa8Ea7c5w

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hi everyone!

Anyone here know anything about curry? I've been making curry for over a year now, modified from the Persona 5 recipe and it's good but I'd like to branch out into different styles.

I do a vegetarian curry with potatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic and curry. The spices are cumin, coriander, turmeric, clove, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, cocoa powder, salt and pepper. The base is vegetable stock, soy sauce, honey and yogurt.

It's good, but it's the only curry we eat. I'd love to try out different styles but other than grabbing random recipes off the internet I don't even know where to start. Also while I can eat chicken, I don't like chicken curry and my diet is mostly vegetarian these days.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There is at least one Thai curry paste that is vegetarian - Aroy D green - and it's available on Amazon. Not sure if their red is.

Or you could make it yourself. But I heartily encourage you to try out a Thai curry.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Any recipes online for a decent Thai curry you'd recommend? I tend to stay away from pre-made spice mixtures and pastes. Until recently my son was allergic to cinnamon and it's only in the last few months he stopped showing symptoms when exposed but I don't want to push my luck.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Serious Eats is always a good starting point. There are a ton of good Thai cookbooks out there as well, and frequently, your local library will have a few. Anything written by Leela Punyarata is a good bet.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mintymenman posted:

Serious Eats is always a good starting point. There are a ton of good Thai cookbooks out there as well, and frequently, your local library will have a few. Anything written by Leela Punyarata is a good bet.

That's awesome, thank you. I'm definitely grabbing the ingredients for panang and maybe a green curry as well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mintymenman posted:

should also add that leela's blog, shesimmers.com, is basically an encyclopedia of thai food, she covered so much over so many years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I tried a little pack of tteokbokki the other day (it was in one of those things like a ramen bowl, kinda cool) and I really liked it but it was a) too spicy for my sister to enjoy and b) four bucks for something smaller than your average ramen packet.

Anyone have any good non-spicy recipes for tteokbokki that I can just buy a big pack of 'em and toss them in a from scratch sauce instead?