Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Blumat classic, but not the knockoff products, actually work. Set them up a week before you go so you can monitor and see if they need to be adjusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Nosre posted:

my friends, do these types of things actually work? I need to get some pots through a 3-week vacation. All the Amazon results look cheap as hell, but maybe there's some brand or style that's decent?

I've heard people have success with wick watering for vacations.

https://scissorsandsage.com/2015/04/20/diy-self-watering-system-for-houseplants/

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks both. I'll see if I can find blumats in time, and have that as a backup option.

As you get more interesting things, this situation becomes harder... most of my stuff would be fine, but I'm worried about the Jewel Orchid and some other particularly thirsty boys

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I've got these two Kentucky coffee tree seedlings that are experiencing rapid wilting in some branches but still growing new shoots. What's the chance that it's verticillium wilt and I should cut my losses.

The older one has its first two branches bare from leaf die off, 2 more that show either wilt or heat damage and a third that looks fine but there is some slight yellowing on a leaf.

The younger one just had it's leaves fall off but had new branches grow and start wilting in a week or two.

I know to truly confirm you need to cut branches to verify but with the size of these guys I would need to cut the trunk.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Blumat is basically fancy reusable wick watering that you can use more longterm if you want to. I use most of mine permanently because I travel so much. For smaller plants like orchids you're more likely to over than under water with them. Pots with drainage are a good idea, as always, and keeping your reservoir below and not above the plants. This is why setting it all up ahead of time is safest if you can do it.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I just ordered a 1:16 brass siphon mixer for my hose. If I use 1/2 tsp fert for 1gal water normally, I'd mix up a batch of 8tsp fert/1gal water solution and then water until that runs dry, right?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hello biscuses!

Pupkin

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pruned the fruit trees. the plum tree in particular had so many low lying branches it was looking like a bush instead of a tree

Cherry tree

Pear tree

I don't really know what I am doing, I read some guides online and tried to be conservative. On the pear tree there was a lot buds with leaves on the bigger trunks that I just wiped of, to clear out the branches a little.

Didn't touch the apple tree any.

I'm gonna buy a book on the subject for next year.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 8, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm gonna buy a book on the subject for next year.

Did you read this one from purdue?. It's like a very small book but it covers the high points.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
No I was gonna buy a swedish book by some guy called Klaus Vollbrecht, an actual physical book is what I prefer, the other stuff I read was gardening articles and stuff and got the general idea. I don't really want to prune too hard, I want the trees to grow sort of naturally, just get rid of the worst stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh and grapes, growing outside, in Finland. This plant is one year old.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am having a lot of problems with my favorite cactus, M. geomtrizans. It had a limb rot last month. I cut it off at the base. Album: https://imgur.com/a/qCvLw6g

But now another part at the top is turning brown and squishy. I don't know what to do to stop this.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

I am having a lot of problems with my favorite cactus, M. geomtrizans. It had a limb rot last month. I cut it off at the base. Album: https://imgur.com/a/qCvLw6g

But now another part at the top is turning brown and squishy. I don't know what to do to stop this.

Big bummer :( Could be a lot of things, unfortunately. I'd bring it inside if you can, where you can control what's going on. If it's anywhere as humid there as it is here I doubt that's helping.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
everything roasted at least a little bit, some things roasted more than others, some fatally, some disfiguringly, most will be ok in the end

thank gently caress it finally breaks tomorrow

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

Big bummer :( Could be a lot of things, unfortunately. I'd bring it inside if you can, where you can control what's going on. If it's anywhere as humid there as it is here I doubt that's helping.

It's been inside for the last year like the vast majority of my plants. Prior to that it was an outdoor plant for 4 years. The sun room has indoor windows so it may look like it's outside.

Some folks elsewhere suggested that my last cut may not be healthy, but I don't buy it... Gonna repot it to look for root rot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

His Divine Shadow, there's one more thing you should do. One of the things you're trying to achieve when pruning a fruit tree is air circulation and the penetration of sunlight. Part of this pruning is called "opening up the tree". You prune branches that are pointing toward the center of the tree, except the central leader. For instance, the two branches I circled in red should go.

In general, you should prune fruit trees when it's cold and the tree is dormant. If you're in a really cold area and have hard freezes, some people wait until early spring, so that they can keep the limbs that have survived and remove the others.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've been getting conflicting info on that, some sources have said that but most of the local sources has been telling me that July-Sept is when you should prune fruit trees.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fair enough. Trust local advice.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

Some folks elsewhere suggested that my last cut may not be healthy, but I don't buy it... Gonna repot it to look for root rot.

That would be my next step.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've been getting conflicting info on that, some sources have said that but most of the local sources has been telling me that July-Sept is when you should prune fruit trees.

That's a weird time to prune fruit trees, but when it's two little branches like that rather than a major pruning you can just do it whenever, really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well the local texts say stuff like this

quote:

You should prune apple trees (and fruit trees in general) during the JAS months. That is, during July, August and September. By cutting apple trees in late summer, the growth of fruit is promoted. The trees heal the fastest during the warm months. If you also choose a sunny day when you are going to prune, the cuts will dry up faster.

Some other sources did say young pear trees are best pruned late winter or early spring (march-april here) and older ones dyuring the "JAS months".

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
here's some old neglected jade plants. can these be saved? are they worth saving, or should we just get new plants?

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

here's some old neglected jade plants. can these be saved? are they worth saving, or should we just get new plants?

I've had success simply cutting them way back (by half on the plants you've got there) when there's a bit of dry weather, and they'll eventually sprout leaflets from around the dried cuts. I'd also use all the cut off leaves and branches to propagate new plants. Ymmv, but jade really is one of those plants you can be quite brutal with and it will eventually come back as long as it wasn't totally dead to begin with.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

They look a little sad and probably under potted but perfectly savable. Don't even really have to be pruned unless you want to.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

You haven't even started killing those Jades.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My jade tree was routinely pushed off a six-foot height by my cats and lost half its leaves each time yet somehow never died

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sweet ok i will replant in larger pots with better soil and see if they become happy again, if not i will try pruning them back too

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I over watered a jade and didn't realize for awhile and was only able to salvage a single leaf and that poo poo is still managing to come back.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sweet ok i will replant in larger pots with better soil and see if they become happy again, if not i will try pruning them back too

They seem pretty happy to me, looks like they just dropped a bunch of foliage in the heat/dryness and they’ve got some sun stress on their remaining leaves, but otherwise they look really big and really happy.

Also if you prune them any cuttings should be propagated

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

^^^ RE: Jade plant I wouldn't say those look great. I kept mine outdoors in central CA heat in almost full sun, and it's never lost a notable % of its leaves. You can see it below the aloe tree in the pic below. I agree that it should survive if treated better though.

I am still upset about my cactus, but life goes on. I'm shopping for some weed lights for the sun room before winter hits. It's gonna be glorious.

pokie fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 11, 2022

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

I've got a couple pothos, a Neon and an Njoy. Recently the leaves on the neon got extremely droopy and pale, assuming they had been overwatered (i probably over compensated due to heatwaves in the uk), i went to repot it and found that literally all the roots had rotted away.

I've now noticed that one stem of the njoy has done the same.

Is this just gonna be overwatering or am i missing something like humidity/etc? I don't water them unless the top soil is dry but maybe i need to be waiting longer so the deeper soil is also drier?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr_Chicken posted:

I've got a couple pothos, a Neon and an Njoy. Recently the leaves on the neon got extremely droopy and pale, assuming they had been overwatered (i probably over compensated due to heatwaves in the uk), i went to repot it and found that literally all the roots had rotted away.

Is this just gonna be overwatering or am i missing something like humidity/etc? I don't water them unless the top soil is dry but maybe i need to be waiting longer so the deeper soil is also drier?

What soil are they in?

some variagates are also just much more finicky and fragile than others.

Manjula and njoy seem particularly prone to dying and failing to thrive, while other strains like marble queen, etc seem much more vigorous and bulletproof by comparison

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Hm, the njoy i repotted a month or so ago into a peat free Houseplant mix - its possible that the one stem just didn't like the move?

The neon had yet to be repotted so was in whatever mix the garden centre used - i. E probably one that was eventually going to kill it.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Mr_Chicken posted:

When you say top soil do you literally mean the top of the soil? Because all of the advice I've read is to wait until the top inch or two of the soil is dry before watering.

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Yes, which is probably my mistake. I've got plenty of other plants that i do fine with but with the pothos the pot is so shallow that it feels hard to gauge the moisture level...

Totally open to "yes you are being an idiot and killing your plants" but what's the fix if something is definitely gone? For the neon pothos I'm just trying to propagate the healthy remains in some water.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYdLfkJcfok

Griz
May 21, 2001

couldcareless posted:

I over watered a jade and didn't realize for awhile and was only able to salvage a single leaf and that poo poo is still managing to come back.

I knocked a leaf off my echeveria like two months ago and left it sitting on top of the soil, it still looks exactly the same as it did then except now there's 3 tiny plants growing out of the open end.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Put them all in one pot, IMO! Jades have a small root ball and they look like they’d compliment each other size-wise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pumpdate!

Still the only pumpkin from numerous vines but it's doing pretty well!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is the year we realized our neighbor's dumb, randomly planted tree has officially rendered our veggie garden a shade garden. I think we have one tomato on six plants, and nothing on the watermelons at all--hell, they've barely even grown. :(

Maybe we should tear it all out and lean into the shade aspect. I wish I liked hostas more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Cactus with rot in the trunk update.
I dug up and repotted the cactus in fresh soil (equal parts granite, pumice and fir bark with a dash of compost). It was mostly dry with some mild dampness deeper in. I should probably water less often. I took some photos of the roots.
Album:
https://imgur.com/a/Xbu6PGa