Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Once you clear the 5-star wave of them, they'll shut down across the entire planet. They used to just go on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Once you clear the 5-star wave of them, they'll shut down across the entire planet. They used to just go on forever.

nice. Is that the same for the interceptors? I think I did it one time and a large dreadnought warped in and I blew up all its turrets and it seemed to be done then.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

priznat posted:

nice. Is that the same for the interceptors? I think I did it one time and a large dreadnought warped in and I blew up all its turrets and it seemed to be done then.

Correct, at least last I checked-- the last time I did that was pre-Sentinels and apart from a photo-op with a disabled sentinel dreadnaught, there didn't seem to be much reason or reward for sticking around for the hassle vs. just running away.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Correct, at least last I checked-- the last time I did that was pre-Sentinels and apart from a photo-op with a disabled sentinel dreadnaught, there didn't seem to be much reason or reward for sticking around for the hassle vs. just running away.

Yeah there were just a couple paltry cargo pods on the ship. I usually just boot it over to the space station and hide in there.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Oh drat, this is good to know. I usually just tunnel also and wait til they go away.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ime they're pretty good about not getting stuck under the ground, but I think the AI's got A Thing about getting to range when damaged and sometimes that "run away" results in them losing track of you

usually you can rely on the radar at the top of the HUD to give you an idea of where the stuff ran off to

also pre-sentinel I was a big shotgun+plasma bomb combo fan but I started using the minotaur suit's cannon instead and it's more fun than I expected it to be

Haha I think my real annoyance isn't even when I've triggered them. It's that weird state where one has locked onto you, and seemingly no amount of running, even doing good melee+sprint+jumps. At best you get a half second of the icon going away and it seems to stop rubberbanding to you, except it's a trap and the planet just had you run directly next to another roaming drone. Glad to know if I'm annoyed enough I can face down 5 waves and shut them up. Either be harder or shut up ya dang dingbots.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Haha I think my real annoyance isn't even when I've triggered them. It's that weird state where one has locked onto you, and seemingly no amount of running, even doing good melee+sprint+jumps. At best you get a half second of the icon going away and it seems to stop rubberbanding to you, except it's a trap and the planet just had you run directly next to another roaming drone. Glad to know if I'm annoyed enough I can face down 5 waves and shut them up. Either be harder or shut up ya dang dingbots.

If you know ahead of time you want to Just Not Deal With Them, the glass they drop occasionally drops "sentinel maps" that can direct you straight to the planet's pillar and you can just shut them off at the tap before you even get started doing whatever

(it does assume the planet has one, I've had a couple planets that had 0 and gave me a "Location Scrambled" error trying to use the map, so the only way to deal with those suckers was the hard way)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The expedition waypoints take a lot longer to travel between when I can't just shove a boatload of hyperdrive upgrades into my ship and jump straight there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Fun expo. I liked not having to fight brood for eggs for once (even though they are way less deadly now than they used to be) and it was nice exposure to all the new systems.

I don’t go back to my main save until I finish the expo now since it is too hard to adjust to different working jet packs and sprint. I was dreading my freighter would be trashed. But it was overall pretty good. I guess since I didn’t actually change the layout much from the default so it’s mostly the same. The cool lounge/office I built upstairs is even mostly intact. But it has a door to the stair room and a fleet management room so the vibe sucks now.

Freighters are kind of my one barley touched tech tree since I basically just used it for storage, exocraft teleport and refinery so I have 0 salvaged data and I have 30 frigates (no clue why I bought so many) so I guess I can build a couple more fleet rooms.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well I haven't really done much with the Minotaur so far, aside from slapping upgrades on it for Laylap's questline.

Then I got pointed at an extreme toxic planet for a quicksilver mission.

Twice in a row.

And my freighter wasn't in system so I couldn't whip up a toxic shield.

I spent a while just hopping from point A to point B.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For the exocraft if you have an exocraft transporter room on your freighter you just need to build a summoning station on the planet and then you can summon any of them right?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

priznat posted:

For the exocraft if you have an exocraft transporter room on your freighter you just need to build a summoning station on the planet and then you can summon any of them right?

If you have the exocraft room on your freighter, and your freighter is in the same system, as long as you have the desired exocraft built somewhere, could be just a random planet you've visited and then left or your base on a planet, you can summon the exocraft from the quick menu.

E: On some lovely moon somewhere there's just one of my base computers and all exocraft stations plonked down next to it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

If you have the exocraft room on your freighter, and your freighter is in the same system, as long as you have the desired exocraft built somewhere, could be just a random planet you've visited and then left or your base on a planet, you can summon the exocraft from the quick menu.

Oh wow I thought I had to have the summoning pad built on the same planet at least, that's nice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tsar Mikey posted:

Troll bases are immersive imo. You're a simulated entity running in some broken computer, why would you not mess with the simulation at all times when you find this out? Same applies to things like dupe glitches and I'm glad HG has not removed the double refiner glitch.

Also that robot cracked me up when I first saw it.

True. Also I probably made about half a dozen troll bases on accident by now, because of my preference for building stupid towers and then linking parts of them with teleporters until everything turns into a huge, glitchy mess and then abandon the project.

Recently I visited some other players' bases and it suddenly struck me that other players landing in my bases wouldn't be able to just modify a wall by planting a new exit door in. There's a tower where a glitch near the bottom will continuously teleport you upwards between two short-range teleporters that look absolutely the same. Both lead to two more teleporters that look the same. All four levels have windows, but all four levels are high enough the landscape looks the same, too.

I never thought about this, but getting trapped inside Glitch Tower must be a tremendous pain in the rear end if you can't just plant a new door and jump out of the thing.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

priznat posted:

Oh wow I thought I had to have the summoning pad built on the same planet at least, that's nice.

yeah it's pretty cool touching down on some hell planet in the middle of nowhere and instantly having your freighter warp in above you and drop your mech in from orbit

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
They also changed the portable exocraft summoning station at some point to be re-pick-upable like portable refiners are, so if you're doing an anomaly mission and can't/don't want to move your freighter in*, you can just drop the portable summoning station, warp in whatever exocraft, and immediately stick it back in your pocket.

*Previously I'd never have a reason to not do this, but now that you can warp directly to your freighter it's suddenly become more alluring to use it as a temporary bookmark to get back to where you were without needing to throw down a bookmark base or try to remember what the system name was-- especially if you want to do anomaly missions that warp you out of the system without automatically triggering the pirate event when you leave the anomaly again

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 4, 2022

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Turns out, something I didn't realize until now, is that the anomaly-spawning timer is actually pretty forgiving, and thanks to an accidental late triggering of one when I was flying to my freighter, I found out that you can basically spawn them on top of a destination. It does look like they made it so "automatically disengaging your cruise because you dropped in on the space station" doesn't trigger anomalies anymore, but manually triggering them near the space station, or auto-dropping on your own freighter, still works just fine.

I may have accidentally made my freighter look like a subject of interest for some Unfortunate Events in the process of testing this, though

I need to try this glitch out to get a derelict next to my freighter so I can see if the short-range teleporters glitch between them. Or if I can get a couple derelicts and see if it still works there. It used to be where you were in a busy system with a popular one, and people got several derelicts spawning near each other, then those short-range teleporters would cross-link on accident. So sometimes you'd teleport back to the start of the wrong derelict and you'd find your ship "missing". I did that so much until I figured it out and managed to get some free derelict runs out of it. But it's been a while since I did it, so I don't know if it still works.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is the game setup yet so I can play VR on PC using an Xbox controller, and not the touch controls? The touch controls are great for on-foot gameplay, but feel garbo when in my fancy spaceship.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a way to see what teleport point on your list is closest to the next expedition rendezvous? I like going overland rather than looking up coordinates, but I worry that I got turned around at some point from an anomaly mission or something.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

I need to try this glitch out to get a derelict next to my freighter so I can see if the short-range teleporters glitch between them. Or if I can get a couple derelicts and see if it still works there. It used to be where you were in a busy system with a popular one, and people got several derelicts spawning near each other, then those short-range teleporters would cross-link on accident. So sometimes you'd teleport back to the start of the wrong derelict and you'd find your ship "missing". I did that so much until I figured it out and managed to get some free derelict runs out of it. But it's been a while since I did it, so I don't know if it still works.

It's been one of the long-held "that's impressive and cool" impressions about Hello Games that I've had-- when I originally saw the first expedition hubs being clustered by those, their response wasn't "make sure the thing we never intended to happen can't happen", it was just fix the teleportation bug and let it keep happening, which was a full 180 approach from just about every single developer I've seen before or since.

You can get free derelict runs just by showing up to a derelict without an active beacon, entering the ship only explicitly eats active beacons and you can smuggle them past the gate by sticking them in your portable refiner when you interact with the first door. They go back to "inactive" if you pulse away from the freighter as well, so I suspect that dropping these on your freighter, then turning around and leaving before you come back and actually go in would have the same effect without needing to have a portable refiner slot in the first place.

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way to see what teleport point on your list is closest to the next expedition rendezvous? I like going overland rather than looking up coordinates, but I worry that I got turned around at some point from an anomaly mission or something.

Unfortunately not. There is (was? usually?) protection built into expedition saves where any usage of black holes or warp gates would return you to the first rendezvous system instead of throwing you wherever in the galaxy, but after a bit of a headache in an early expedition of the "I need to teleport to every station on the list until I find one discovered by Hello Games and get back on track" kind, I've just started beelining rendezvous points first and foremost so I can do the rest of the stuff footlose and fancy-free, with the absolute worst-case-scenario recovery option being "start a new expedition save and make a note of the portal glyphs to warp back to start on the main expedition save".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not the case right now because I dropped into a black hole as soon as I finished the rendezvous and got spat out in the middle of nowhere to finish up my frigate and pirate missions.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I was curious if they had done it again, given that the singularity engine seems to at some level be hooked into the black hole logic (since using it in a system with one spits you out in the same place as if you go through with your ship)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Game has frozen on me two more times trying to use the photo mode for some story quest to increase my gek rank. Ugh.

Also I want to find a mod that removes the extreme and normal storms. It's like a built in waste of time after seeing it the first time. Planets that do it every two seconds are pretty drat annoying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Suburban Dad posted:

Game has frozen on me two more times trying to use the photo mode for some story quest to increase my gek rank. Ugh.

Also I want to find a mod that removes the extreme and normal storms. It's like a built in waste of time after seeing it the first time. Planets that do it every two seconds are pretty drat annoying.

True, but those storm crystals... :drat:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
After I found out the survival upgrades are "free 100% resistance to all weather for 2 minutes for the cost of an ion battery" I stopped caring about storms, the visibility issues always sucks though

wish the sensor scanner upgrades on the multitool helped with that

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I just found a planet where the storms are just extremely spooky. It has no harmful effects other than making the planet feel like Clive Barker's Undying for 5 minutes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Unfortunately not. There is (was? usually?) protection built into expedition saves where any usage of black holes or warp gates would return you to the first rendezvous system instead of throwing you wherever in the galaxy, but after a bit of a headache in an early expedition of the "I need to teleport to every station on the list until I find one discovered by Hello Games and get back on track" kind, I've just started beelining rendezvous points first and foremost so I can do the rest of the stuff footlose and fancy-free, with the absolute worst-case-scenario recovery option being "start a new expedition save and make a note of the portal glyphs to warp back to start on the main expedition save".

I have no idea how far into left field I was but I used the Hello Games search to find my way back to Expedition 3 and then each of 4 and 5 were just a few jumps while I'd done 15 trying to get there before. So I was really off track somewhere.

Anyway, expedition complete. That was fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tsar Mikey posted:

I just found a planet where the storms are just extremely spooky. It has no harmful effects other than making the planet feel like Clive Barker's Undying for 5 minutes.

Oooooh nice! Can you tell me how the planet is described? I'm assuming that would have something to do with it.

Or better yet, got the glyphs?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

dwarf74 posted:

Oh my yes. Found this on Reddit and it's completely lol. Short run, no goop monsters, just the occasional security measure. S-tier tech.

Just went to take a screenshot and slap this in my notebook I keep for these codes and I had this one already. It's like 7 rooms. If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's a turret right at the start? and then some drones further in. Otherwise the only other enemy is those jellyfish things. Most of the time I got 1 or 2 salvaged frigate modules.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oooooh nice! Can you tell me how the planet is described? I'm assuming that would have something to do with it.

Or better yet, got the glyphs?

Planet type is "Xeno-Colony" and the weather type is "Storms of Haunted Green." Do I need to have all the glyphs to get the portal address? I'm on a new save working through the Artemis path now actually.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tsar Mikey posted:

Planet type is "Xeno-Colony" and the weather type is "Storms of Haunted Green." Do I need to have all the glyphs to get the portal address? I'm on a new save working through the Artemis path now actually.

You need all of the glyphs to teleport there, to USE a portal, but you only need to screenshot the glyphs in photo mode to give them to others.

I'm assuming it's in Euclid?

Edit: this of it as knowing someone's or your address (pic of the glyphs), vs having transportation to that address (being able to use the glyphs).

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 5, 2022

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nullsmack posted:

Just went to take a screenshot and slap this in my notebook I keep for these codes and I had this one already. It's like 7 rooms. If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's a turret right at the start? and then some drones further in. Otherwise the only other enemy is those jellyfish things. Most of the time I got 1 or 2 salvaged frigate modules.
That's the one. It's quick and lucrative. The sentries can zap you down fast if you're not paying attention but it's way less threatening than biological ones.

And yeah this one is super popular. There's always tons of people hanging out. Notifications about people exploring Derelicts pop up every few minutes. There's a million bases there all named "frigate farm" or something (including mine).

I should just change my name to "chief engineer Gigi" by now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've been horribly, horribly sick with bronchitis this week and have basically done nothing but play no man's sky and just mindlessly going to planets, scanning poo poo and leaving cause i don't really have the mental fortitude to do anything else. now i am sitting on a huge mountain of units and nanites.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Rare, Underground

My mortal enemy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ughhhh posted:

Rare, Underground

My mortal enemy.

stuck on one of those right now

the real bitch is that this planet has a common underground, which i almost never see, so my standard solution of 'look for beacons and find it in an above-ground "cave" is just giving me a shitload of the common underground creature instead

e: bitching about it worked, only took an hour and a half for me to this stupid thing :woop:

e2: i don't know how or why but my new character is apparently in a really popular part of euclid. of the 27 star systems i have been to, an absolutely insane 13 of them have been previously discovered by other people :stare:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 5, 2022

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If you’re doing the weekend event I suggest turning off PvP if you haven’t already because some trolls were out there just now when I did it shooting at me from their ships while I was mining and then they landed and tried to kill me.
Didn’t work and I just finished what I was doing and ignored them.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I finished and converted my save, saved afterward, and every time I reload it tells me to convert again. Anyone encountered this and know how to fix it?

It says it's a normal save on the main menu, but every time I load the expedition announcement pops up, and then it says I'm done.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Bruceski posted:

I finished and converted my save, saved afterward, and every time I reload it tells me to convert again. Anyone encountered this and know how to fix it?

It says it's a normal save on the main menu, but every time I load the expedition announcement pops up, and then it says I'm done.

Same thing happens to me and I have yet to find a fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree but aside from introducing a new type of starship that requires is, they can't really go back now.

What?? NMS is the game of great change lol

With the amount of crazy updates and paradigm shifts NMS has had, of course they can make this change.

Everyone would be excited for a week and then it would become the new normal.

The game has had so many upgrades, why would you stamp on a much, much needed one at the "let's discuss it!!" phase

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 6, 2022