Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Checked out my all-region Twilight Zone season BDs after probably a decade since the last play. They wouldn't mount at first, or so I thought, but if I leave them reading for 2 minutes they eventually do pop up. Region A stuff mounts right away on other BDs..not sure what exactly happened here..same FW on the drive as when I bought these back in 2010.

Wasn't a happy camper when I thought they weren't readable, so, could be worse but..sheesh.

Also, hit the seasons of SNL on peacock where they started editing them down to 40 minutes from 70...this is why I have streaming trust issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Looks like the Tropic Thunder UHD got pushed back to October! drat!
That's gonna be a good week, as that one and the Lost Highway UHD release exactly a week apart.

Happy Hippo posted:

Heat on 4K looks too dark (judging by reviews and side by side comparisons, I haven't seen it)
Aww goddamnit :smith: My steelbook arrives Monday.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Curious how it compares to the 4K digital streaming version that's been around for a while. I've never had any complaints about that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got Orson Welles Othello and a panini maker in the same package. I feel like Orson would have appreciated this.

I absolutely love Welles doing Shakespeare.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TheScott2K posted:

Curious how it compares to the 4K digital streaming version that's been around for a while. I've never had any complaints about that.

Same question, especially cause that version was live in 2018/2019. I know cause it showed up in 4K movies right after I got my Apple 4K TV.

Really sucks that Disney botched such an iconic movie. I wonder what Mann’s thoughts are.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Rageaholic posted:

Aww goddamnit :smith: My steelbook arrives Monday.

To be clear, it isn't a defect like the Criterion Citizen Kane, it's just a darker image relative to the currently available blu ray (the Director's Definitive Version or whatever it's called)

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 6, 2022

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Boywhiz88 posted:

Same question, especially cause that version was live in 2018/2019. I know cause it showed up in 4K movies right after I got my Apple 4K TV.

Really sucks that Disney botched such an iconic movie. I wonder what Mann’s thoughts are.

Disney does not give a flying gently caress about physical media

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’m gunna wait and see about the blu-ray.com forum chatter about the movie. The review didn’t sound like it’s a huge deal and I already think most HDR content is too dark sometimes anyways. I bumped up my brightness by 10% already and adjust depending on content accordingly.

It’s just like with vinyl. Sometimes I turn those bass and treble knobs up a bit because not everything is created equal.

Also IIRC Mann signed off on the transfer. So he must’ve been happy with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea generally UHDs tend to be on the darker side compared to regular blu rays. In most cases I think it's good, a lot of blu rays are actually too bright and kinda washed out.

Anyway I haven't heard anything about the Heat UHD being dark to point that it would be considered a botched transfer or any sort of deal-breaker. But obviously these things always come down to personal taste.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

TBH, I rarely notice that kind of stuff anyway. I remember watching Goodfellas on UHD after they said too dark and I thought it was fine. Doesn’t hurt that I’ve got a bright TV!

My Steelbook doesn’t show as shipped yet, so I’m watching my Collateral UHD finally. Whets my taste for Cruise too. Showing my gal the M:I series but we’re not ready to jump into 2 yet. I have never finished that film either, so we’ll see!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really hope Prey gets a physical release. This should’ve gotten a theatrical run too. A shame to keep it boxed in on just streaming.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boywhiz88 posted:

TBH, I rarely notice that kind of stuff anyway. I remember watching Goodfellas on UHD after they said too dark and I thought it was fine. Doesn’t hurt that I’ve got a bright TV!

My Steelbook doesn’t show as shipped yet, so I’m watching my Collateral UHD finally. Whets my taste for Cruise too. Showing my gal the M:I series but we’re not ready to jump into 2 yet. I have never finished that film either, so we’ll see!

After seeing Top Gun: Maverick, I've been going through and buying and (re)watching Cruise's entire repertoire and I skipped M:I2 because it's just so so bad. I'll probably watch it before I run out of his movies just to be an annoying completionist, though.

Kinda mad Minority Report and The Last Samurai are not available on UHD!!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Minority Report is a huge want for me. Didn’t realize it was under Fox, so I guess we’ll see. Thankfully it’s Spielberg AND Cruise, so hopefully that’ll be enough at some point.

Never saw Last Samurai, I should get on that.

But yeah, dude is good at making a movie-rear end movie. I’m trying to figure if I can see Maverick before it leaves theaters, but otherwise I’ll probably just grab the UHD. I have enough faith that I’ll like it, why not blind buy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's still getting a ton of screenings around here and I highly highly recommend seeing it in a theater. It needs to be seen on the biggest screen with the loudest speakers you have access to. Best experience I've had seeing a movie in a theater in a long time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I saw Maverick twice in theaters (once at an AMC Dolby theater and the other time at an AMC IMAX theater) and it absolutely ruled. I'm definitely getting that one on UHD. It won't be as wild as seeing it in a theater, but it's one of the most visually impressive movies I've seen in a long time. Joseph Kosinski and his DP Claudio Miranda are a dream team.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
otoh it's 2 hours of military propaganda

I'm still considering seeing it. Never saw the original (see above,) and it's not that terribly fun sitting in a theatre for hours wearing an N95, I've only done it for my boy PTA so far. But apparently it's a very immersive experience.

My theatre also does that incredibly aggravating thing where they're too cheap to have actual dedicated scope screens in the cineplex so they just letterbox the picture for scope films. There are almost no excuses for seeing a black bar in a theatre.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

My theatre also does that incredibly aggravating thing where they're too cheap to have actual dedicated scope screens in the cineplex so they just letterbox the picture for scope films.
This poo poo is objectively the worst.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Thanks for the heads up! Still a solid deal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

pwn posted:

I'm still considering seeing it. Never saw the original (see above,) and it's not that terribly fun sitting in a theatre for hours wearing an N95, I've only done it for my boy PTA so far. But apparently it's a very immersive experience.

seconded, but it was worth the discomfort to see everything, everywhere all at once on the big screen

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1556025866823647234?s=20&t=QMhG419zOBUaYVVmYBPchw

Looking forward to the standalone Last Picture Show UHD. I saw it in a theater w my dad a year or so ago. Meant a lot to him and me.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Oh hey, I can maybe stop feeling bad about missing out on the Twilight Time As Good As it Gets release from about a decade ago. Hopefully it's a UHD/BD combo.

Edit: Oh it's a box set... with an SRP of $161. And no Blu-ray discs. Sigh

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
I think imprint releases are all-region and are excellent in my experience. Great slipcover packaging too

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/as-good-as-it-gets-imprint-le-slipcover-blu-ray-all-region/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3542090663...emis&media=COPY

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

Oh hey, I can maybe stop feeling bad about missing out on the Twilight Time As Good As it Gets release from about a decade ago. Hopefully it's a UHD/BD combo.

I'm kinda hoping everything gets an individual release over time. LoA and Strangelove were in vol 1...Wouldn't mind stripes, mr. smith, and taxi driver.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just really hate Miles Teller so no matter how pretty it is it’s not worth it to me to see his dumb face for any amount of time.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

pwn posted:

The previous sets had blu-rays, so I would be surprised if this one didn't.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there any reliable way to tell whether or not ebay sellers are peddling bootlegs other than just looking at feedback?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nah just feedback. I’ve been lucky in that I haven’t encountered bootleggers for media in awhile, not since high school I think but I definitely didn’t know better back then.

If it doesn’t have an official release already or like the images are just straight low res Amazon screen caps someone scraped off GIS you’re probably fine.

Otherwise you’re in gods hands.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Is there any reliable way to tell whether or not ebay sellers are peddling bootlegs other than just looking at feedback?

It used to be that if it was significantly below amazon marketplace in price, that was a good tipoff, but now there are so many boots on amazon marketplace that you can't really do that anymore. Now I just see if the photos look like they're of a single, real item in physical reality, and also I check that it doesn't say '19 copies left' or something. Even then you might still get sent a bootleg, but usually they try and get on your side and will pull a big 'wow I didnt know thanks for telling me' and whatnot. I've never gotten stuck with one, it always gets refunded fairly easily. No chance in hell of getting any of these accounts shut down though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

Also IIRC Mann signed off on the transfer. So he must’ve been happy with it.

Maybe he's just really into dark stuff now. The remastered Last of the Mohicans is absurdly dark. Like, scenes that clearly take place in sunlight look overcast, overcast scenes look like dusk, night time is borderline incomprehensible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AdultSwimNoCon/status/1556022753249185792?s=20&t=ri3QR7rjmOnVpF3YMW4ykA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, is this an actual new Aqua Teen movie that's coming out? If so, :hellyeah:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Wait, is this an actual new Aqua Teen movie that's coming out? If so, :hellyeah:

Yep!

Also, Kino is on a roll, JFC. Marathon Man UHD announced.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1556294761706815489?s=20&t=BrZtmnTvy92vNbXaBa3qwg

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

Yep

Early November physical and VOD

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Currently 100 pre-orders for UHDs on BestBuy.com. All-time high. Now a good chunk are Sony reissuing Steelbooks, so Gattaca and Last Action Hero fans be on the lookout. But there are like 10 something titles like that plus standalones like GF 1-3 regular + Steelbook. Still, just love seeing that there’s UHD content after the last week in media.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 7, 2022

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
how often do you guys re-watch movies? As i’ve gotten older I find the time between gets longer and longer, which makes sense since i’m always watching new stuff. But I watched Righting Wrongs last week and i really want to watch it again already (maybe one of the alternate cuts.)

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 7, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PinkoBastard posted:

how often do you guys re-watch movies? As i’ve gotten older I find the time between gets longer and longer, which makes sense since i’m always watching new stuff. But I watched Righting Wrings last week and i’m really want to watch it again already (maybe one of the alternate cuts.)
It depends. There are some movies I can rewatch anytime and still enjoy. I got Jackass Forever on Blu-Ray last week and watched that for the 3rd time this year (saw it twice in theaters) and still loved it. And since tomorrow night's We Hate Movies episode is on Robocop 3, tonight I'm gonna rewatch my Robocop UHD and tomorrow I'll rewatch 2 and 3. Robocop is one of those movies I can rewatch whenever. I haven't seen 2 and 3 in years but IIRC 2 is pretty fun while not as good as the original and 3 just sucks.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I've watched Voyage of the Rock Aliens, like, six times so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGOsJa0HHg

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wyoming posted:

I've watched Voyage of the Rock Aliens, like, six times so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGOsJa0HHg

I only heard about the movie from How Did This Get Made. It sounds wild

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

PinkoBastard posted:

how often do you guys re-watch movies? As i’ve gotten older I find the time between gets longer and longer, which makes sense since i’m always watching new stuff. But I watched Righting Wrongs last week and i really want to watch it again already (maybe one of the alternate cuts.)

Probably about once a week, give or take. I have a weekly friend hang and most of the time we're watching something I've already seen that I own that I want to show them. Same with showing movies to my SO.

My brain is wired to watch new-to-me things (but not, like New) more than rewatch things, but then I rewatch something, like Tremors, in the new 4k UHD format, and it blows my mind all over again. It's easy to remember a movie is good, but I find it's difficult to remember how a movie makes me feel. Like I still haven't rewatched Evil Dead 2 on 4k UHD. I think I'm saving it for when I really need a pick-me-up.

It's the same with older movies vs newer movies. I will gladly see a new movie in theaters. If I'm streaming something? It's probably 10-20 years old already, but something I haven't seen. I've really been gravitating towards movies from the 60's and 70's, and I'll always give a movie from the 80's benefit of the doubt. I think the last New movie I streamed was You Won't Be Alone, which was fine. NOPE in theaters? Absolutely. Everything else I've watched has been 60's-80's.

I will rewatch a movie sooner if I know it's a home run for someone I know. I rewatched Deep Cover recently because I knew my friends would love it. I rewatched Altman's Images because I knew my SO would love it. I just rewatched Eaten Alive with friends cuz they wanted something 80's and gonzo. I keep a mental list of movies I know will play well with friends.

edit: Horror movies and Action movies are far more rewatchable for me than any other. Like, I am down to watch an emotional film, but I do drag my feet a little if I'm not completely in the mood to give myself over to the film.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PinkoBastard posted:

Depends.

Growing up my dad refused to rewatch movies without a buffer of a couple of years, and that's where I'm at. There's been some exceptions like Mandy, or Psycho Goreman, but for the most part it holds.

I can safely say that I do enjoy this choice because my parents watch the same 4 or so Christmas movies every year, and it feels so joyless to watch Christmas Vacation or A Christmas Story, and the room is silent because we've watched it every year for 20+ years.

Franchescanado posted:

I still haven't rewatched Evil Dead 2 on 4k UHD. I think I'm saving it for when I really need a pick-me-up.

I'm planning to have an Evil Dead weekend around Halloween, because I'm being forced to move, so that should also be around the time I'll be done moving, and have a copy of the Army of Darkness UHD in my hands.