Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's a drop-in range. You can replace it with a gas unit if you don't want to tear out the base.

For the gas line, you need a couple inches in the back to install a shutoff valve. Mine is piped up through the floor with 1/2" black steel. You can use yellow poly flex as a supply. How would you be bringing it in? Floor/wall/along the rear of the existing cabinets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

anyone have a suggestion for a good rainfall shower head?

One that install on the wall, nothing fancy like from overhead. I don't have those kinds of badges.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have already returned them, because one of them arrived so severely dented that both my husband and I were worried about short- and long-term impacts on functionality.

God, I'm bad at conflict. Okay, so I call for a third time, they say no, and I say "May I speak to your supervisors, please?" The last time I called the person actually put me on hold for 5 minutes trying to negotiate a better deal, fwiw. I was also thinking of writing a paper letter to the CEO and mailing it on the hopes that his executive assistant's executive assistant might do something useful. Or doing the same on Twitter.
Sorry, I just re-read trying to wrap my head around it. They don't have the set you want in stock at all anymore or they won't sell them to you at the promo price? Sorry if I'm being dense.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

PainterofCrap posted:

That's a drop-in range. You can replace it with a gas unit if you don't want to tear out the base.

For the gas line, you need a couple inches in the back to install a shutoff valve. Mine is piped up through the floor with 1/2" black steel. You can use yellow poly flex as a supply. How would you be bringing it in? Floor/wall/along the rear of the existing cabinets?

There's a supply going into the canning stove in the basement which is below and on the same wall as this stove. It could relatively easily come up the wall right there.

Edit: do they even make drop-in gas ranges? I can't find any other than cooktops.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 7, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

slidebite posted:

Sorry, I just re-read trying to wrap my head around it. They don't have the set you want in stock at all anymore or they won't sell them to you at the promo price? Sorry if I'm being dense.
They don't have the set I bought in stock at all. No guesstimate on when they will. "Could be a few days or a few weeks". They do have the identical set, in black. I want to pay the difference between the white set and the black set at the July price and switch over. I'll settle for paying the difference between the white set at the August price and the black set at the August price.

Instead, they're telling me I can either wait indefinitely or accept a refund, then buy the black set at the non-sale August price.

SSB, you have a canning stove in the basement? Fascinating. Fully-plumbed sink and countertops, too?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ssb posted:

There's a supply going into the canning stove in the basement which is below and on the same wall as this stove. It could relatively easily come up the wall right there.

Edit: do they even make drop-in gas ranges? I can't find any other than cooktops.

According to an article I just found, only GE still makes drop-in stoves at all; they make two different electric models, and that's it. https://blog.bellinghamelectric.com/blog/drop-in-ranges-replacing-an-old-model

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJRQo5aawho

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My soul just died.

My dad, b. 1930, used to say "now you're cooking with gas", so it must have been a slogan for awhile.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rexxed posted:

Haha, yeah, there's always a few that live in the unfinished basement here. I sometimes mistake them for the chonky house spiders I get here and get a fright but the crickets are pretty chill. I do try to remove them and boy are they big and jumpy.

Sash! posted:

The most I ever murdered in one day was 62. We got them pretty bad in our basement, but they really hate light. Sealing up some seams and cracks in the garage plus leaving two lights on in perpetuity has fully banished them.

Yeah when we first closed I peeked in the store room and was like "Jesus what are all these small spider like things on the walls?" I could tell they weren't spiders because of the antennae but they were tiny.

Came back a month later, opened the door and it was just like "JESUS CHRIST!"

They were gigantic and all just staring at me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think I want to get a new vacuum, my hoover that i've had forever isn't ideal for my situation - I need to be able to get under a few spots that only have 6" of vertical clearance (credenza, rug under bed), but still have the various attachments (the one for crevices, and the brush attachment). and something that's easy to clean. with the hoover if you vacuum up a lot of dust it all gets stuck on the bottom and in all the tubing, and you have to take it all apart and clean each piece.

I have a small space, with mostly hard (laminate) floors, but a few rugs. So I would want something with a few height settings as well. I'm not interested in robotic vacuums because again, it's a small space, and also it would probably upset my dog. It only needs to "dry vacuum," nothing with water. There is dog hair but not much as I have a greyhound. I also mainly use a bona mop for the hard floors, so this would mainly be for the (low-pile) rugs, and crevices.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

I think I want to get a new vacuum, my hoover that i've had forever isn't ideal for my situation - I need to be able to get under a few spots that only have 6" of vertical clearance (credenza, rug under bed), but still have the various attachments (the one for crevices, and the brush attachment). and something that's easy to clean. with the hoover if you vacuum up a lot of dust it all gets stuck on the bottom and in all the tubing, and you have to take it all apart and clean each piece.

I have a small space, with mostly hard (laminate) floors, but a few rugs. So I would want something with a few height settings as well. I'm not interested in robotic vacuums because again, it's a small space, and also it would probably upset my dog. It only needs to "dry vacuum," nothing with water. There is dog hair but not much as I have a greyhound. I also mainly use a bona mop for the hard floors, so this would mainly be for the (low-pile) rugs, and crevices.

Canister vacuum? Can't say I've ever had one but it seems like it might be what you're after

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ssb posted:

We need to replace our lovely kitchen range. It's a crappy old Kenmore electric that's older than my wife and no amount of repair is making it usable. I want to replace it with a gas (well, LP) one. However, it's this weird design that sits kind of on the counter base sort of:

I don't know what your electricity prices are, or if you're going to wind up with solar at some point, but consider a dual fuel or induction. Baking with gas heats up your house something fierce because it has to constantly dump exhaust, which takes your heat with it. Electric ovens are incredibly efficient due to the fact that they can basically seal themselves up to keep all the heat and humidity inside them. (This is useful for some baking stuff, like bread.) You might be really surprised at how nice induction is these days compared to old resistive cooktops.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I miss my gas stove a lot (was just toasting sesame seeds and wished for a visible flame), but my husband bought fiberglass mats to protect our non-inductive smooth cooktop. We can use all our heirloom cast iron without worrying.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know what your electricity prices are, or if you're going to wind up with solar at some point, but consider a dual fuel or induction. Baking with gas heats up your house something fierce because it has to constantly dump exhaust, which takes your heat with it. Electric ovens are incredibly efficient due to the fact that they can basically seal themselves up to keep all the heat and humidity inside them. (This is useful for some baking stuff, like bread.) You might be really surprised at how nice induction is these days compared to old resistive cooktops.

Let's talk more about this because it would save me a bit of trouble. Historically, I have hated electric stoves because I like instant burner temperature changes (especially I hate waiting for them to heat up forever), I like to be able to visually see the flame to help gauge how much heat I'm putting in (this is probably not actually all that important so long as the burner dials are accurate) as well as notice if someone left a burner on, and they in general just seem a lot easier to cook on. Plus you can use it as a quick grill for some veggies or whatever if I don't feel like using an actual grill. Also, you can still use the burners if you lose power, which isn't all that uncommon in rural Virginia.

That said, you raise some good points. I'm not really familiar with induction though other than I think that we probably have a lot of cookware that isn't compatible with it? This isn't a dealbreaker but it's something to think of I guess. I'm not 100% against this if it really does make sense to do.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

devicenull posted:

Canister vacuum? Can't say I've ever had one but it seems like it might be what you're after

Yeah a good canister vac will do you right. We have a SEBO can that works pretty good, plenty of attachments. Stay away from Dyson stuff imo.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

electric/induction range micro-derail: can anyone recommend a good wok that can be used on a flat electric range, or do you really need gas for best results?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

electric/induction range micro-derail: can anyone recommend a good wok that can be used on a flat electric range, or do you really need gas for best results?

Oh that's a thing I didn't even think of, I like my wok. I really should read up on induction cookstoves. I know I definitely would not want the traditional kind that I grew up with in the 80's/90's.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the main issue with woks i've read about is that the bases are usually a bit curved, and even if they are flat when you buy them, they tend to warp. and since they have such a small contact point relative to their size, any warping can really mess with heat transfer from a flat range. i've never actually tried a wok on my glass top though.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 7, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Miele canister vacuums are expensive but they also last 50 years and are very good at being a vacuum the entire time. My house is all hard floors and rugs and it's terrific for both

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Miele canister vacuums are expensive but they also last 50 years and are very good at being a vacuum the entire time. My house is all hard floors and rugs and it's terrific for both

Can confirm, we have the Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog and it is amazing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bad Purchase posted:

If you really want to wok n roll, I recommend getting a separate high pressure propane burner. You cannot get comparable results on even a natural gas or propane stove with standard burners.

I found mine for cheap on Facebook. Some hick in a trailer park was using it as a turkey fryer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

If you really want to wok n roll, I recommend getting a separate high pressure propane burner. You cannot get comparable results on natural gas or propane stove with standard burners.

I found mine for cheap on Facebook. Some hick in a trailer park was using it as a turkey fryer.

Oh, my husband would love that. (And so would I, because Szechuan napalm is real.) Wok hei! Can you tell me what brand yours is?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

the main issue with woks i've read about is that the bases are usually a bit curved, and even if they are flat when you by them, they tend to warp. and since they have such a small contact point relative to their size, any warping can really mess with heat transfer from a flat range. i've never actually tried a wok on my glass top though.

If you want a better wok cooking experience, buy a dedicated wok burner and then you can use a round bottom wok:
https://www.seriouseats.com/outdoor-wok-burner-review

Those are outside ones, there are countertop versions as well.

We make stir fry in a flat bottom wok and it's not ideal, but it didn't make sense to center our cooktop selection around what is best for wok cooking. Never had a problem with the flat bottom warping.

EDIT: ya, what SpartanIvy said above

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that propane setup does look cool. i don't think i'd use it enough to justify a whole separate outdoor gadget, but i am a bit jealous nonetheless.

i'm vegetarian so i don't even have a grill in the backyard. (i know i could grill veggies, but usually i just roast em in the oven or fry in a pan instead.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kitten emergency posted:

Yeah a good canister vac will do you right. We have a SEBO can that works pretty good, plenty of attachments. Stay away from Dyson stuff imo.
We have a Husky built in central vac which is phenomenally good (and good canisters before that) but.......

for xmas 2 years ago given a Dyson Outsize and I must say, it's excellent. At first I was "oh, uh, thanks" but since I started to use it I can count on 1 hand, probably on 3 fingers, the number of times I've broken out a "real" vacuum since then. I am absolutely not a Dyson fanboy but I must admit, it does everything pretty much as well as our built in and much more convenient not having to drag anything around. Super, super good and never a problem with it. We have a 2 storey (3 finished levels) and it's just so god drat convenient and gets right to the end of the wall with the power nozzle which is nice.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, my husband would love that. (And so would I, because Szechuan napalm is real.) Wok hei! Can you tell me what brand yours is?

So the interesting thing is that there are "brands" of burner but it looks like there's probably just one or two factories pumping out the same models under those names.

Mine is a "Leaderware" brand, and appears it was originally sold at Sears

To find an appropriate burner, look for a propane "high pressure burner", and avoid the ones designed for turkey frying and beer brewing that have a bunch of holes around multiple rings. Those designs are high BTU but don't direct the flame to the bottom of the wok like you want for cooking with a wok.

If you're trying to find one used, look for just "propane burner" as the people selling them probably don't know what they have.

I'd recommend looking up a few wok burner reviews on YouTube and watching through them. There's not much variety in designs so once you understand the few that are out there and how they work, you will know what you really want/need.

e: I should mention that if you do find one used, it might come with an under-powered propane regulator. Mine had a lovely low pressure regulator like a normal stove/burner uses and it barely functioned with it. I spliced on an adjustable regulator I got from Amazon and it works a treat.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 7, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ssb posted:

Can confirm, we have the Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog and it is amazing.

$1200 wtf

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I read the Serious Eats review and bought their second-rated one, because I never feed more than 4-6 people. Thanks so much for bringing up the idea; this is a treat for my husband, and it's hard to find things he doesn't own.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I read the Serious Eats review and bought their second-rated one, because I never feed more than 4-6 people. Thanks so much for bringing up the idea; this is a treat for my husband, and it's hard to find things he doesn't own.

Woks are game changing. Y'all will love it. You can cook a restaurant quality meal for several people within 20 minutes with one, and cleanup is basically just the wok.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

They have models that start as cheap as $350. I got a used ~$800 model on Craigslist a few years ago for $200 and it is amazing.

My other favorite thing is Miele posted downloadable 3D models of accessories to 3d print at home. I use the drill suction accessory all the time, especially since we moved this year and need to hang up a bunch of stuff.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4239139

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

canyoneer posted:

They have models that start as cheap as $350. I got a used ~$800 model on Craigslist a few years ago for $200 and it is amazing.

My other favorite thing is Miele posted downloadable 3D models of accessories to 3d print at home. I use the drill suction accessory all the time, especially since we moved this year and need to hang up a bunch of stuff.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4239139

why would I want a canister over a stick? I just want something small and light that can get into small spaces easily, while having a couple attachments

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

actionjackson posted:

why would I want a canister over a stick? I just want something small and light that can get into small spaces easily, while having a couple attachments

If it’s your only vacuum, then a canister is going to do a much better job of actually trapping the dirt and dust and such and not simply recirculating it into the air like a bag less stick or upright.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

If it’s your only vacuum, then a canister is going to do a much better job of actually trapping the dirt and dust and such and not simply recirculating it into the air like a bag less stick or upright.

my current (a discontinued hoover wind tunnel) is an upright but it has a hepa filter. so yeah it makes sense to still want that. are hepa filters on canisters generally better than uprights?

I would say this one is probably the most similar to what i have https://www.target.com/p/hoover-windtunnel-cord-rewind-upright-vacuum-cleaner/-/A-81953886#lnk=sametab

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

my current (a discontinued hoover wind tunnel) is an upright but it has a hepa filter. so yeah it makes sense to still want that. are hepa filters on canisters generally better than uprights?

I would say this one is probably the most similar to what i have https://www.target.com/p/hoover-windtunnel-cord-rewind-upright-vacuum-cleaner/-/A-81953886#lnk=sametab

Upright versus stick is a whole different argument then upright versus canister. Even think about it just in terms of volume, you'll get a much bigger filter in a canister/upright then a stick.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The big gripes I've read with sticks and Dysons in particular is the weight distribution. You're holding all of it at the top of the stick, and with Dysons you have to hold the trigger down the whole time to vacuum too. I can't speak to any of the canister vacs you can get in the US, but we were overseas last year and got a bagless Phillips canister and if I didn't already own a good push vacuum I would never go back.

https://a.co/d/hgNEqAH I have this for hard floor and one room of carpet and it has an attachment that's a lot like the one on a canister vacuum for getting under your furniture. It works great and doesn't fling things everywhere. I also regularly use it clean up after home haircuts and never get clogs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a Dyson solely because my dog sheds just ludicrous quantities of very fine fur. Bagged vacuum cleaners clog up super quickly, and sweeping the fur up is impossible because it just floats into the air and then drifts down randomly. I'm well aware that they don't do a good job of pulling dirt off the floor and probably blast a lot of dust into the air too, but as a tool for picking up large quantities of dog fur, I haven't found a better option.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i saw this one on my local craigslist, I assume it would be more than adequate.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/app/d/saint-paul-like-new-miele-canister-hepa/7513781314.html

is compact/classic/complete just different tiers of product quality, or are there size differences?

I'm also wondering if the bagless options are better, the idea of having to keep buying bags is kind of annoying.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 8, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Vacuums filter air with the consumable bag. Bagless vacuums use a separate consumable filter instead, and people just never change them and learn to live with bad suction and no filtration over time.

Miele vacs use both disposable bags and replaceable cartridge filters (with several filter grades available)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Woks are game changing. Y'all will love it. You can cook a restaurant quality meal for several people within 20 minutes with one, and cleanup is basically just the wok.
We've had a wok since at least the early 1980s. This is just a high-BTU burner so that you can get the wok as hot as in a Chinese restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

actionjackson posted:

I just got the Shark XL Pet and with the lift-away function it can get under anything.
I like it way more than the Dyson uprights for multi-floor use, since it has a nice three way position switch on the handle. It is also way quieter.
It might be overkill for you though if you only have a small floor area and mostly hard surfaces.