Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Did you leave it running for 4 hours or longer? Go see your local mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tunicate posted:

I have a ridgid vac but it doesn't turn on anymore

hell, same

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Costco has a nice looking stainless steel canister one right now, dewalt I think? not sure of quality though.

I picked up the Dewalt they carry when it was on sale earlier this spring for $99. Haven't abused it too much yet, but it's held up great so far. Does a better job than the Shop Vac I had before, but that was probably 20 years old and a much cheaper model so not a fair comparison.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Tunicate posted:

I have a ridgid vac but it doesn't turn on anymore

I mean if you want it to suck or blow you need to do a bit more than fiddle with the switch for a few seconds...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

StormDrain posted:

Dandelions are early sources of pollen for bees. They're good! I pull the biggest ones and don't worry about smaller ones. If there's more than I like I'll use a few targeted shots of broadleaf weed killer, but overall I don't worry too much.

I also purposefully spread clover seed to keep the yard greener and provide more flowers for bees.

This year I spread wildflower seed mix in an 8' wide meadow border in my backyard. Next year I'll probably do the same in an area of the front yard with some decorative grasses.

Going back a ways, but where do you get your clover seed? The big box stores don't seem to carry it, I think I've tried a little bit at a few local nurseries and not found any. Not sure if this is the kind of thing I need to order online or just need to do a better job searching locally.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Going back a ways, but where do you get your clover seed? The big box stores don't seem to carry it, I think I've tried a little bit at a few local nurseries and not found any. Not sure if this is the kind of thing I need to order online or just need to do a better job searching locally.

Call your county ag extension. They know who has this stuff.

It's the same company that sells the seed mixes for highway medians, etc. In PA the one I use is Ernst Conservation Seeds. https://www.ernstseed.com/

It's is very much a "pick up the phone and tell someone what you're looking for" kind of place.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

an iksar marauder posted:

Did you leave it running for 4 hours or longer? Go see your local mechanic.

:golfclap:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FISHMANPET posted:

https://www.americanmeadows.com for all my meadow seeding needs.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Bunch of energy rebate stuff in the Inflation Reduction Act. Do mini-splits count as a heat pump? There's up to 8k in rebates for that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

phosdex posted:

Bunch of energy rebate stuff in the Inflation Reduction Act. Do mini-splits count as a heat pump? There's up to 8k in rebates for that.

... Mother fucker I just had a heat pump installed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

I hope so. A lot of them can to heat and cool and the inverter ones are often really efficient.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

rebates are income dependent, so YMMV but tax credits are for everyone, 30% up to $2K for a qualifying heat pump. The new qualifications aren't out but for the rebate that expired in 2021, it was 15 seer / 12.5 eer and up, which almost every mini split would beat.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

While we're talking about water heaters I'd like to wish a special place in hell for the folks who thought this was a good design--to replace the anode I have to 1) move the powered vent out of the way (and all that entails to decouple from the PVC) and 2) get my wrench jaws around this stupid nut:

Look at how offset it is! Of course my sockets can't get around it so I finally bought a 1 1/16 wrench just for this purpose:

This will never work, even with a mallet this is the most contact I can get:

This project of doing basic home maintenance on my 2004-era water heater was a fail. I'm going to spec a tankless to replace it just because I have a large family who will eventually take showers and if I get a return-ready one I can hook up the master bath in a few years when I reno that and get some hot water circulation instead of it being one of the longest-wait-for-hot-water places in the house.

At least yours is a separate item - mine is built into the cold water dip tube, so you have to cut pipes (or hope that someone installed a union) to swap it.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Are stand alone heat pumps a thing? We have brand new air conditioning units I don’t want to replace

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dang I just replaced all my upstairs windows with nonshit ones, wonder if it applies for the whole year

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Are stand alone heat pumps a thing? We have brand new air conditioning units I don’t want to replace

An AC unit is a heat pump without a reversing valve. I assume the same thing exists for heat only units.

No, it's typically not practical to convert them. Also, whatever you're asking about here probably isn't super practical either for the same reason.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

An AC unit is a heat pump without a reversing valve. I assume the same thing exists for heat only units.

No, it's typically not practical to convert them. Also, whatever you're asking about here probably isn't super practical either for the same reason.

It’s a bummer because the PO put in a super nice Trane AC only unit a year ago and I don’t want to rip this out

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Like, the switch is sticky? I had that issue with mine (same one Motronic has) and had to open up the plastic switch covers & lubricate them with silicone.

If it's not that, you could wire in a new rocker switch.

Also, check yard sales. I see tons of Shop-Vacs. I have about six of the little 1-gallon cuties. I stopped buying the big ones for lack of space, and started giving them away to family after going through them/cleaning them up.

Also if you're into curb alerts, rich fucks with vacation homes at the shore/lake/mountains love to buy a $1200+ Weber grills, use them for a couple years, and them curb them rather than get a little dirty cleaning them up. Weber parts availability goes back forever - I have a trash-picked Genesis 3-burner that looked like Godzilla took a poo poo in it. Dragged it home, power-washed it inside & out, replaced the guts: ignitor, burner, reflector plates, grill (with stainless), wheels & knobs for $250 & have been using it for the past twenty years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nah, switch is nice and clicky, but nothing happens. Tried plugging into multiple known-good electrical outlets too, just to make sure it wasn't that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

My dryer duct is completely clean and I have the same issues he mentioned with my new LG dryer. The moisture sensors and everything just kind of suck on the new units.

timed dry fixed our issue completely :discourse:

r.i.p. whatever endangered salamanders got between my wife and bone dry socks

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Tremors posted:

To be continued Monday:

It's been a month and a half so I thought I'd give an update on the progress.

:suicide:

The estimate for the job will be ready any day now! (that's been the story for 3 or 4 weeks at this point)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tremors posted:

It's been a month and a half so I thought I'd give an update on the progress.

:suicide:

The estimate for the job will be ready any day now! (that's been the story for 3 or 4 weeks at this point)

Folks, super accurate example of dealing with contractors right here.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

New hot water heater baby, $1700. Woop. I guess the upside is I noticed a small water puddle in the basement which led to discovering a sink drain is leaking before it did any real damage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

New hot water heater baby, $1700. Woop. I guess the upside is I noticed a small water puddle in the basement which led to discovering a sink drain is leaking before it did any real damage.

Where do you live, and did you just get a direct replacement or anything else added in? What make and model?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Beef Of Ages posted:

Folks, super accurate example of dealing with contractors right here.

Apparently I just needed to complain on the Internet about it because I now have an estimate and a check from insurance for $64k in hand.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Does your code allow you to add on to the side or back? If so, HELL YEAH BIG GARAGE TIME.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

StormDrain posted:

Where do you live, and did you just get a direct replacement or anything else added in? What make and model?

Midsized East Coast City, so a higher COL area. 50 gal. I was wrong and its electric not gas, so electric. Rheem. Price does include replacing a small run of copper pipe which has corroded (2 ft).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

Does your code allow you to add on to the side or back? If so, HELL YEAH BIG GARAGE TIME.

Now is the time.

Also now is the time to get absurd numbers of outlets installed, car charger/welder circuit (14-50 receptacle), put ethernet in the walls, minisplit, etc. It's all MUCH cheaper if you already have no walls.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Upgrade posted:

Midsized East Coast City, so a higher COL area. 50 gal. I was wrong and its electric not gas, so electric. Rheem. Price does include replacing a small run of copper pipe which has corroded (2 ft).

Right on thanks. Mine will be gas, and with an expansion tank added to bring it up to code, unit in an unfinished basement.

It'll be nice not to get surprised when I use the bidet after someone showered. A 3/5 on the bidet dial comes at ya like a 6/5!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Now is the time.

Also now is the time to get absurd numbers of outlets installed, car charger/welder circuit (14-50 receptacle), put ethernet in the walls, minisplit, etc. It's all MUCH cheaper if you already have no walls.

Unfortunately due to the house design if we went backwards it would block at least one of our sets of doors and reduce all of the natural light we love. Plus there's some old well and septic in that area somewhere which probably further complicates things.

As for the side, I believe it's already at the edge of the property line setback for structures. We will for sure go wild with outlets and though since the thing only had three outlets before, one of which was for the opener. Ethernet would be great too since I was using a powerline adapter for the garage AP.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My garage doors were manufactured in 1980 and the remotes finally crapped out.

It was a bitch finding replacements that use the old dip-switch system, and even more of a bitch figuring out how to program them with the translated-from-Chinese-on-Google instruction manual,

But it's really nice to have an opener the size of a credit card instead of a dictionary.

... Now for the actual opener to crap out

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tremors posted:

Unfortunately due to the house design if we went backwards it would block at least one of our sets of doors and reduce all of the natural light we love.

Ethernet would be great too since I was using a powerline adapter for the garage AP.

Yup that's a no brainer to not extend. I would do all the dumbest ideas now while it's $48/outlet or whatever rather than later when it's $300 to get the person out there. If you put ethernet in the ceiling you can put an AP there if you're a turbo nerd.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My washer seems to leak water every time it runs. I've cleaned the door and the gasket (the rubber seal thing). What's the next step? call a 'guy', try to replace the rubber seal/gasket thing myself, or just, put a towel under the washer? (water evaporates very fast, here). I inherited this from the previous owner, I have no idea how old it is but I assume 5 years or so.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

redreader posted:

My washer seems to leak water every time it runs. I've cleaned the door and the gasket (the rubber seal thing). What's the next step? call a 'guy', try to replace the rubber seal/gasket thing myself, or just, put a towel under the washer? (water evaporates very fast, here). I inherited this from the previous owner, I have no idea how old it is but I assume 5 years or so.

Business, Finance, and Careers › House Ownership: or just, put a towel under the washer?(water evaporates very fast, here)

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 9, 2022

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

redreader posted:

Are you sure it's the washer itself and not the drain hose or water hoses?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You might check your lint trap. We had a situation where the washer was trying to pump water through the completely clogged lint trap, blew out a seal, leaked a cup of water each wash after the clog was removed.

Almost certainly a "call a guy" situation

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tremors posted:

Apparently I just needed to complain on the Internet about it because I now have an estimate and a check from insurance for $64k in hand.

Congratulations. Now begins the fun period of calling them every day to get them to actually show up and do work.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
How much does it leak? It not too much you could just put a $20 washing machine tray under it and call it done.

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.
So the prior owners built an addition onto the back of our house, an enclosed 2 (don't get me started on this) season room, and a covered porch. Part of the covered porch was segmented based on where an interior wall is and so it is a separate area/"room". For some reason, this area/room had french doors added on the wall splitting the porch but they left it exposed on the rear. They used some curtain to block it and just had stored some exercise equipment and other items in the area. We're tired of the poo poo curtain and I want to turn it into an actual little shop area and keep the wasp/bees and even birds that come in. Additionally, the room backs up to my office which only has one window which is on the wall for this porch room, so I'm also looking to get more light into my office. On the exterior wall facing the fence, this area/room does have 2 windows but they have shutters on the outside block light as well.

You can kind of see the office window in the back and one of the french doors on the left.

I had a contractor out to look at the "2" season room and asked them about what they would do to close this area in and he mentioned getting custom doors or needing to build out the frame more for it to fit more standard doors. The opening is about 9'4" in height and 7'5" in width.

Where do I shop for custom doors for this and how much might that run?

I also had a garage door company come out that has Clopay doors and I asked him about a glass garage door and also carriage-style doors for something that looks good. He quoted about $4.5k for glass and $3.3k for the carriage style. I'm planning on getting someone else to give me an idea on garage doors as well.

I mocked up two on the Clopay site
Glass:

Carriage

I've never bought a garage door before and if my family did I only recall helping with the motor. Is this reasonably priced? From what I saw it might be in the range or potentially on the higher side. I know they are very different than your standard run-of-the-mill garage door. Also how much would it be to add a window, like a long skinny window to the office? And if I was to add a window to solve some light issues are there any other options for closing this off that will be uuhhhh aesthetically pleasing?

timepenguin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
If you put a garage door there, remember to think about the headroom you'll loose to the track system + opener (if you put one one). I probably wouldn't do garage door there with the steps up in front of it, I think it'd look weird.

Is this facing your backyard? How important is privacy? Maybe brick or wood frame down to a large single or double glass door? I can't follow your description of the layout very well, an MSpaint from a top view might help with ideas.