Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hey boss, which days are you not in the office? Yeah I'll come in those days. k thnks bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol that owns. More game development stories please.

my current client have people who have to use teams and github and are not great at it. They're used to just go ask people for help and then get it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

champagne posting posted:

my current client have people who have to use teams and github and are not great at it. They're used to just go ask people for help and then get it

Sounds like a great system for them

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I refuse to use teams file sharing. It sucks and gives nothing over a shared file on a networked drive.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I refuse to use teams file sharing. It sucks and gives nothing over a shared file on a networked drive.

My current place of work does this. Everything is Teams/Office 365 shared and 90% of engineering docs are PowerPoint slides.
As stupid as that sounds, it works ok.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We use a mix of google drive, teams, emailed documents, google docs and drop box.

People refuse to just use one system because 'it's too conplicated'. No manner of threats or demands will fix this.

Please kill me.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Press the sync button in Teams. It will sync the files to your file explorer in Windows.

SharePoint (which Teams is mostly just a front end for on the file sharing side) has a ton of advantages over sharing files off of a local server.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Teams is only good as a chat browser, everything else fuckin suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Every single decision in business ,especially public traded corporate business, can be predicated upon quarterly statements. Shockingly, this incredibly myopic focus on "the next quarter" creates the most idiotic penny-wise and pound-foolish business decisions. At first it shocked me. Now, nothing matters.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

My new place is all in on Office365 and all the things that come with it.

Did you know if you send someone a file on teams that usually lives on sharepoint, it doesn’t actually send them the file it just gives them a link to the original file that looks exactly like a sent file.

That’s not really a big deal until it’s, say, a template, and the person who ‘received’ the file doesn’t know they need to save themselves an actual copy before they start loving with it so they just gently caress with it as-is and then save it, overwriting the nice neat and tidy template with whatever the gently caress they just did to it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did you know if you send someone a file on teams that usually lives on sharepoint, it doesn’t actually send them the file it just gives them a link to the original file that looks exactly like a sent file.

That’s not really a big deal until it’s, say, a template, and the person who ‘received’ the file doesn’t know they need to save themselves an actual copy before they start loving with it so they just gently caress with it as-is and then save it, overwriting the nice neat and tidy template with whatever the gently caress they just did to it.

The solution to this that I see used is to lock down permissions on those server-based templates and insert a note that instructs the user to save their own copy.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Johnny Truant posted:

Agreed.

Quickest way to make me groan is by telling me to get a file located in a teams chat or folder.

Mostly because my IM's are nuts. Literally, there are times when I'm bouncing between 5 people who all need answers NOW. Going back and forth from file folder to document to IM then having it close the document then having to find it and reopen it again gets irritating quick. Though I have mostly now got it configured to not open up files in the teams browser.

I also love how it has ZERO respect for "do not disturb" status -- the chats just keep coming through and flashing for attention. I'm asking to not be disturbed for a reason most of the time, you know?

And why does it look and feel like a MySpace chat app from 2006? It is UGLY. I've nicknamed it Barney.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TotalLossBrain posted:

The solution to this that I see used is to lock down permissions on those server-based templates and insert a note that instructs the user to save their own copy.

not really because the people you work with eat light-bulbs for breakfast lunch and dinner and will ask you every time you send them something how to actually use it

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Mr Teatime posted:

Oh and he’s trying to pump the oil with the hydraulic pump that’s for operating hydraulic jacks and runs up to several 1000bar.

:stare:

As somebody who's seen things (mostly beer fermenters) explode from overpressuring at WAY less pressure, that poo poo is terrifying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Silly Newbie posted:

Press the sync button in Teams. It will sync the files to your file explorer in Windows.

SharePoint (which Teams is mostly just a front end for on the file sharing side) has a ton of advantages over sharing files off of a local server.

Hold up. So if I sync my file explorer with teams, and I'm using filestream with drive, then I can staff using either/or/both and it'll all work?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

SharePoint has built in versioning and you can restore the original in like 5 clicks.

This is just flat out wrong.

The web interface alone has saved me so much grief when transferring files over the internet.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2022

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

We use a mix of google drive, teams, emailed documents, google docs and drop box.

People refuse to just use one system because 'it's too conplicated'. No manner of threats or demands will fix this.

Please kill me.

As of tomorrow we are adding a seventh... thing. I'm not even sure what the new thing does. SharePoint. Adding a seventh thing does not in any way decrease reliance upon things one through six, of course. Thing seven is going to increase efficiency though! I think thing seven is supposed to eventually replace thing five, but until thing five becomes fully obsolete then we are required to duplicate all work. I think.

Thing seven is mandatory.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

SharePoint is nice if you have a fully staffed and controlling IT department willing to fully implement active directory based sign on and somebody(s) willing to manage accesses and permissions.

Otherwise, enabling one drive or SharePoint sync with windows explorer is a nice way to create really dumb problems for people who don't always connect from the same network.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BigHead posted:

As of tomorrow we are adding a seventh... thing. I'm not even sure what the new thing does. SharePoint. Adding a seventh thing does not in any way decrease reliance upon things one through six, of course. Thing seven is going to increase efficiency though! I think thing seven is supposed to eventually replace thing five, but until thing five becomes fully obsolete then we are required to duplicate all work. I think.

Thing seven is mandatory.

:nutshot:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Even though brewing may have wrecked my back and any chance for a comfortable retirement, all this stuff still makes me glad I got out of computer touching for a living.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Guess the section head for the restaurant, and thus my immediate manager and point of contact in this company is being transferred next month. I'm just really hoping that I'm not back at square one again with the new guy when it happens. Don't really want to have yet another meeting with an executive laboriously explaining their groundbreaking ideas like "fruit beers" (but with some particular fruit they have in mind, usually one with very little flavor so it'll have zero effect after fermentation), "beers that are brightly colored, also sweet?", "Asahi Super Dry", etc. Also pretty sure this means any chance of getting a raise down the toilet. Was gonna ask after it'd been a year, maybe I'll try that again before the current guy leaves.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Today was supposed to be a bottling day. I'm the only brewery staff so they have people from the company help since most of helping with bottling is unloading and it's not too hard to teach someone, especially at our volume. One of the people who was going to help had to back out due to covid exposure, so it was down to me and the assistant manager. He shows up this morning with a sore throat because he didn't have a fever. I call my boss and, fortunately he's not a psychopath, so bottling is delayed to next week.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just started a new job last week and everything is great. Also, there's a massive Trump flag suspended from the rafters looming over the production line. Nobody ever mentions it, not my coworkers, not the owners nor the managers... nobody. Aside from the weirdness of it everybody is very friendly and nice and everything is kept very professional. It just seems funny that there'd be any flag at all so large and so present and nobody mentions it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Up to 13 ppl out with covid. At a shop of 50. Finally got me after 2.5 years of ducking this poo poo.

One known exposure got sent home friday... and came right back after his wife threw a fit at him. Idk if she wants the money or a side piece was coming over but they let him come back lol.

I'm exited to see if masks make a comeback or if they're really gonna wait till someone dies.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I just started a new job last week and everything is great. Also, there's a massive Trump flag suspended from the rafters looming over the production line. Nobody ever mentions it, not my coworkers, not the owners nor the managers... nobody. Aside from the weirdness of it everybody is very friendly and nice and everything is kept very professional. It just seems funny that there'd be any flag at all so large and so present and nobody mentions it.

What flag?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Welcome to your new job at America Inc

Armitag3 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 10, 2022

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I left a work place that had Trump things in the office. I didn't think much of it and figured it was a stress release thing they'd throw around and dunk on because they were generally cool. It was weird but it never came up and eventually I hid most of it by boxes and poo poo.

But then the pandemic happened, and then the facade went away when we went to WFH and it turns out that whoops! All Trump supporters saying all the usual sound bites for the pandemic and everything else. Hilary was a runner of child sex dungeons and our state government was a part of the woke conspiracy trying to control us with barely lockdowns and vaccine mandates.

I live in Australia. None of my co-workers were American, and the Americans in the company kept their distance from the Australian team which I came to realise afterwards when one of them commented to me, "We always thought you were like the other Australians in this business, how do you put up with them?", which was a pretty good indication to leg it and not look back.

It's only a matter of time before they feel comfortable and think you're one of them and you start seeing some more red coloured flags popping up in tiny places.

ATM Machine fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 10, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Not sure what the deal is with that but most of the handful of Australians I've met here are either very into Trump or act like he's no big deal in that implicit supporting him kind of way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had a guy turn up on a teams call wearing a MAGA hat last year, at my very British job in Britain.

He was one of those “I’m just asking questions!” dickheads so everyone else on the call knew it was a cry for attention, and he very disappointedly took it off about 20 minutes in since nobody was talking about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I keep getting aussies fishing to see if I also support trump like they do and Im like you don't even live in America what the hell is wrong with you. I moved to Japan to escape America please stop talking to me about it

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I keep getting aussies fishing to see if I also support trump like they do and Im like you don't even live in America what the hell is wrong with you. I moved to Japan to escape America please stop talking to me about it

Yeah. I stopped going to a craft beer place in my neighborhood because the Australian guy who's almost literally always there would just start ranting at me about the latest thing Tucker Carlson wants people to be outraged about. Dude's in his twenties. Youngest Boomer I've ever met. And it's like "Dude. This is stuff in America. It has no bearing on loving anything in your life!" But I guess he was real mad about the "animals" protesting the police. Real subtle.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 10, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
This revelation that Australian people commonly have strong opinions about US politics is... alarming.
The media machine transcends borders I guess?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Atopian posted:

This revelation that Australian people commonly have strong opinions about US politics is... alarming.
The media machine transcends borders I guess?

Murdoch ru(I)ns both.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Expats getting all their news from facebook and twitter and going insane is p common.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Expats getting all their news from facebook and twitter and going insane is p common.

I mean, there's definitely a reason I limit the circle of expats I regularly interact with for sure, but the pro Trump thing among Australians in particular is a weirdly common thread in my admittedly limited experience.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The number of Trump flags people see flown in Australia is definitely weird. Like the number seen in Canada, but thousands of miles away instead of next door.

I think I've seen maybe two in the UK.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Escape From Noise posted:

I mean, there's definitely a reason I limit the circle of expats I regularly interact with for sure, but the pro Trump thing among Australians in particular is a weirdly common thread in my admittedly limited experience.

e: probably talking out of my arse, nm

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

When I worked in Mongolia (circa 2013) and people learned I was American, they would always bring up how George Bush visited in 2005 and was “gifted” sone thing (that I guess he wasn’t supposed to keep?) and he took it home and people were still real salty about it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

e: probably talking out of my arse, nm

Hell, same.

I get that my posts probably sound really lovely, and for that, I apologize, it's just this weird thing that keeps happening for me here in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When I worked in Mongolia (circa 2013) and people learned I was American, they would always bring up how George Bush visited in 2005 and was “gifted” sone thing (that I guess he wasn’t supposed to keep?) and he took it home and people were still real salty about it.

poo poo. I really wanna visit Mongolia and drink horse milk booze.