Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I thought that was implied when I said I lived in an apartment.

That is in fact not at all implied. People own apartments that they live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think it's a regional thing. I've never heard of someone owning an apartment in my day to day life, that would be a condo. It comes up often enough in this forum though that I'm sure that's not universal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh yeah, I'm renting an apartment. I thought that was implied when I said I lived in an apartment. But also, yeah, when my lease runs out because of a half dozen other reasons besides this new one.

This is all your landlord's problem and you should make them aware of the problem ASAP and also tell them that your carpets stink and make the place uninhabitable and you are breathing mold and they should give you money or relocate you to a different apartment at their expense or however aggressive you want to be about it. They should clean the carpets and fix everything, not you.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
The charger for my sump pump backup battery appears to be dead (the battery is dead, and the power light does on the charger does not light up).

It is this thing - https://www.rcworst.com/Zoeller-10-0772-Aquanot-ll-Battery-Charger-12V-28AMP-p4773.html

why the hell is a 12v charger almost $400?

Is anything terrible going to happen if I just throw a battery tender on there?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh yeah, I'm renting an apartment. I thought that was implied when I said I lived in an apartment. But also, yeah, when my lease runs out because of a half dozen other reasons besides this new one.

Not a single bit of that is your problem. The only thing that would be your responsibility to chase after is personal items.

Everything else (carpet, wall, smell, mold, all of it) is 100% on your landlord. Call them daily until they fix it or give you a fast timeline.

If they don’t, call your local renters board.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Fwiw, in Canada I usually hear people say condo, in americastan I normally hear apartment.

As in : "I bought/own an apartment"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
P. sure buying an apartment is only a thing in New York. Everywhere else when you buy an apartment then it is called a condo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In NYC it's often a co-op

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone have a suggestion for a good rainfall shower head? Ideally one that extends out from the wall?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Fwiw, in Canada I usually hear people say condo, in americastan I normally hear apartment.

As in : "I bought/own an apartment"

withak posted:

P. sure buying an apartment is only a thing in New York. Everywhere else when you buy an apartment then it is called a condo.

Anne Whateley posted:

In NYC it's often a co-op

Oh good, we're gonna have these posts where people who don't understand the difference between ownership structures start posting every term they've heard for something that isn't a single family home and try to say they're only used in certain places and/or always used in those places as a generic term for "apartment".

The generic term is "apartment". In some places that indicates a building owned rental unit sometimes. It doesn't mean this all the time. In fact, "apartment" can be applied to sections of private homes.

"Condo" "condominium" is an ownership structure where multiple people own units in the same building. These units can very much be desribed as "apartments" but may not be. The defining feature is that there are shared walls/roofs/etc that are owned, managed and maintained by a board. A condo board. Consisting of elected owners. Who have the authority to extract dues from the owners by authority of a title encumbrence (meaning they can put a lien on your apartment if you don't pay up).

"co-op" is yet another ownership structure for a building full of apartments.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
That's all well and good for the extremely pedantic. But in my nearly 50 years on this earth, I've always heard people refer to something they rent as an "apartment" and something they own as a "condo". This is with anything that remotely resembles "multiple units in a single building."

While not correct (as you have so thoroughly pointed out) it does give some conversational context. When the guy you first quoted said "apartment", I assumed he meant "a place he rented." As I think most people did.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BonoMan posted:

That's all well and good for the extremely pedantic. But in my nearly 50 years on this earth, I've always heard people refer to something they rent as an "apartment" and something they own as a "condo". This is with anything that remotely resembles "multiple units in a single building."

While not correct (as you have so thoroughly pointed out) it does give some conversational context. When the guy you first quoted said "apartment", I assumed he meant "a place he rented." As I think most people did.

well obviously you just don't understand the difference between ownership structures

edit:

I mean it seems like there's a non-zero number of people who hear "apartment" and immediately assume "rent."

That number must be so aggressively non-zero that I have yet to meet anyone in person who is confused as to whether an apartment is rented or owned.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 9, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

It's not extremely pedantic: it's extremely where you've spent your nearly 50 years on this earth.

Now you have been notified that not everyone misuses these terms, so when speaking you have all the information you need to not make assumptions that every place in the world misuses this particular terminology in the same way that you are accustomed to.

See, it's easy once you know.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Motronic posted:

It's not extremely pedantic: it's extremely where you've spent your nearly 50 years on this earth.

Now you have been notified that not everyone misuses these terms, so when speaking you have all the information you need to not make assumptions that every place in the world misuses this particular terminology in the same way that you are accustomed to.

See, it's easy once you know.

I'm in the States, same as you. Don't know what to tell you. Most people (if not all) I've ever talked to have never referred to a place they own as "an apartment."

Obviously we just run in different circles.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Motronic posted:

Oh good, we're gonna have these posts where people who don't understand the difference between ownership structures start posting every term they've heard for something that isn't a single family home and try to say they're only used in certain places and/or always used in those places as a generic term for "apartment".

The generic term is "apartment". In some places that indicates a building owned rental unit sometimes. It doesn't mean this all the time. In fact, "apartment" can be applied to sections of private homes.

"Condo" "condominium" is an ownership structure where multiple people own units in the same building. These units can very much be desribed as "apartments" but may not be. The defining feature is that there are shared walls/roofs/etc that are owned, managed and maintained by a board. A condo board. Consisting of elected owners. Who have the authority to extract dues from the owners by authority of a title encumbrence (meaning they can put a lien on your apartment if you don't pay up).

"co-op" is yet another ownership structure for a building full of apartments.
:goonsay:

God forbid people interpret words by how people actually use them in the real world…

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fourwood posted:

:goonsay:

God forbid people interpret words by how people actually use them in the real world…

God forbid people use unambiguous terminology on the internet. Where would we be then?

And, again, and again, and again, not everyone is using this terminology the way you think they are in whatever version of "the real world" that you think is universal.

Do you really think that someone who talks about their apartment in central park west is talking about a rental? Because that's not how this terminology is used in manhattan as just one example.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
guys is it pedantic if I have to condescend to people to explain some technical difference in word usage that is specific to my region, despite many people from around the country telling me that they've literally never heard of the word being used as I'm using it?

asking for a friend

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Motronic posted:

God forbid people use unambiguous terminology on the internet. Where would we be then?

And, again, and again, and again, not everyone is using this terminology the way you think they are in whatever version of "the real world" that you think is universal.

Do you really think that someone who talks about their apartment in central park west is talking about a rental? Because that's not how this terminology is used in manhattan as just one example.

Ah well see Merriam-Webster defines “apartment” as

quote:

a room or set of rooms fitted especially with housekeeping facilities and usually leased as a dwelling
(emphasis added)

But yes obviously it is the fault of the OP for giving you the impression they live in Central Park west like, ummm, most people in the English-speaking world do…(?) by uttering the word “apartment”. An understandable mistake, to be sure.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol what's goin' on in here guys?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mutata posted:

lol what's goin' on in here guys?

The dumbest derail ever.

I've posted about it before, but I'm having an issue with my garage door.
When it opens, the right side starts going up, then after about 2" or so of travel the left side jumps up to meet it. Then it opens perfectly. The wheels on the left side freely spin when closed, so it's not overcoming any sort of jam.

Is this something that I can adjust by loosening/tightening the springs? It's the type with the springs that go into the garage, not the massive coil spring that is over the garage door.

Or do I not gently caress with this and just call a repair guy?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AFewBricksShy posted:

The dumbest derail ever.

I've posted about it before, but I'm having an issue with my garage door.
When it opens, the right side starts going up, then after about 2" or so of travel the left side jumps up to meet it. Then it opens perfectly. The wheels on the left side freely spin when closed, so it's not overcoming any sort of jam.

Is this something that I can adjust by loosening/tightening the springs? It's the type with the springs that go into the garage, not the massive coil spring that is over the garage door.

Do not gently caress with it. Call a repair guy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

If the springs have little to no tension when the door is open yes - it's safe to adjust when the door is open. Or just replace them and tension them the same (they do go bad over time and you'll want to replace in pairs so you don't get exactly what you have going on).

The new ones should have a kit with a wire rope that you run down the center of them to keep them from flying around if they break. It's a bit of a pain to retrofit if your existing ones don't have it but probably worthwhile.

To be clear: don't even be near them when the door is closed/they are under tension.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
garage must be one of those french canadian terms, here in america we call it a carhole

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In New York we call it an acartment

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

If the springs have little to no tension when the door is open yes - it's safe to adjust when the door is open. Or just replace them and tension them the same (they do go bad over time and you'll want to replace in pairs so you don't get exactly what you have going on).

The new ones should have a kit with a wire rope that you run down the center of them to keep them from flying around if they break. It's a bit of a pain to retrofit if your existing ones don't have it but probably worthwhile.

To be clear: don't even be near them when the door is closed/they are under tension.

They do have the center wire so they won't kill me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ooh, we got an optimist here!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Slow it down with the apartment pedantry. No one cares. If you have someone who owns the structure around you, call them. Even if it's a HOA/Co-Op that you are a member of, you still need to notify the official entity.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

H110Hawk posted:

Slow it down with the apartment pedantry. No one cares. If you have someone who owns the structure around you, call them. Even if it's a HOA/Co-Op that you are a member of, you still need to notify the official entity.

BUT WHAT IF ITS THE BANK THATS THE ACTUAL OWNER BECAUSE THEY HOLD THE MORTGAGE!?!?!?!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

AFewBricksShy posted:

They may not kill you, but they can still maim. My advice is not to mess with them unless you know what you are doing. Call a professional.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

BUT WHAT IF ITS THE BANK THATS THE ACTUAL OWNER BECAUSE THEY HOLD THE MORTGAGE!?!?!?!

You still hold title. :colbert:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PremiumSupport posted:

They may not kill you, but they can still maim. My advice is not to mess with them unless you know what you are doing. Call a professional.

I put the door in the down position and started going at them with a hacksaw to relieve the tension on the one that goes up first. I'm considering using my bolt cutters next. Thoughts?

garage door guy coming tomorrow

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Status update on the leak: no news on where it came from. Blower is doing some work, but there might still be some small leak somewhere as there's still wet spots in the carpet despite it going for days. Since the water is also coming from under the carpet some of it may also not be getting drawn up to get evaporated. To my knowledge there's not a rental board in my area. Suburban PA is not NYC or whatever places might have actual nice things like that. Odor's a little better though, but that's also probably because a lot of the moisture has dried out already and the vents and fans have been going almost continuously

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Bad Munki posted:

Did you check metric options?

DaveSauce posted:

Someone else suggested metric, but I just want to throw in there that an M5 thread is awfully close to a 10-32 (I think, something on that neighborhood). Close enough where it's super easy to confuse them. IIRC one will actually fit fairly well in to a hole for the other.

Yeah, I checked metric. iirc 4 was too small and 5 would almost fit but not quite, similar to 10-32.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I installed a fancy new shower set for my mom’s claw foot tub. It’s looks great, but the water pressure for the shower head went way down. The shower riser had a weird gasket/bushing between the two pieces, with a really tiny passage. Like less than 1/8”. Is this what’s killing the water flow? Would it be effective to enlarge the opening or try to find a replacement? It seals the two pieces of the riser so I can’t just remove it. It’s #17 in this diagram:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yes. That is a flow restrictor, doing its job.

Remove it completely, unless it's integral to the assembly, in which case, drill it out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

That's the first thing I do whenever I get a new showerhead.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Tree in my backyard has some termite activity. Arborist came out and gave me a quote for $280 to treat (ground treatment, too young to drill into at this time).
Anyone got a good DIY on this so I can compare cost/time for this vs just hiring them to deal with it?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

couldcareless posted:

Tree in my backyard has some termite activity. Arborist came out and gave me a quote for $280 to treat (ground treatment, too young to drill into at this time).
Anyone got a good DIY on this so I can compare cost/time for this vs just hiring them to deal with it?

They use Termidor SC at 0.06% dilution here, 50-100gal per city lot, injected at a depth of i believe 18”. That’s for dwellings with ground termite problems, your needs may vary.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

couldcareless posted:

You can get sentricon bait stations and termidor/fipronil from domyown, but $280 isn’t a bad price imo, especially if it would come with a retreatment guarantee or something. What kind of tree is it and approximately where are you located? Do you have a termite bond on your house? If your house termite bond uses sentricon kind of stations, you may be able to get them to put some in the yard around the tree too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can get sentricon bait stations and termidor/fipronil from domyown, but $280 isn’t a bad price imo, especially if it would come with a retreatment guarantee or something. What kind of tree is it and approximately where are you located? Do you have a termite bond on your house? If your house termite bond uses sentricon kind of stations, you may be able to get them to put some in the yard around the tree too.

Young-ish maple, probably about 5 years old in gulf south.
I ended up just telling him to go ahead with it.

Our current termite contract on the house is a bunch of schmucks that suck at their job so I'm not gonna even bother giving them a ring to get a tree treatment.