Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone have any despair horror gems i may have overlooked? or maybe arent that well known? (i’ve read Ligotti’s collected works several times over to save you some time recommending anything by him)

recently read In That Endlessness, Our End by Gemma Files and honestly had some of the best short stories ive read in a long time, though there were a few that did nothing for me. i plan on hitting Experimental Film once i finish Between Two Fires, which was an excellent rec btw thread.

also you guys make me want to reread The Butcher’s Table everytime i get caught up on this thread.

I didn't like it much at the end of the day but by god The Ruins is so continuously depressing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

The Polish Pirate posted:

I didn't like it much at the end of the day but by god The Ruins is so continuously depressing

The ruins is a fun one. Super depressing for sure

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Polish Pirate posted:

The guy who wrote The Ruins, Scott Smith, wrote another dark depressing book (not horror tho) called Simple Plan. I do remember it as a pretty good book (I read it back in the 90's), and it was made into a Sam Rami movie with Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton. I also really liked The Ruins.

What is depressing about Scott Smith is he has written 2 really good books, but those are the only books he has written in the last 30 years. He is even worse than Donna Tartt since she has at least written 3 books in the last 30 books. I did just google him (I was wondering if he was a pen name for some other writer) and there is a Christmas horror collection called Hark the Herald Angels Scream with one of his short stories in it. I am going to buy and save it for the holidays.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 5, 2022

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they also made it into one of those Warped Tour bands

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about the horror genre lends itself to shorter forms over longer ones? Sci fi used to be the realm of short stories, but now everything is a 6 part doorstopper series. Not to say that there aren't horror doorstoppers, the most famous horror writer of all time churns them out, but it seems like the best stuff - or at least the most recommended stuff- are short story collections. Do y'all think that's because of the rules and style of the genre itself or is it to do with marketing and other business-side aspects of publishing?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

What about the horror genre lends itself to shorter forms over longer ones? Sci fi used to be the realm of short stories, but now everything is a 6 part doorstopper series. Not to say that there aren't horror doorstoppers, the most famous horror writer of all time churns them out, but it seems like the best stuff - or at least the most recommended stuff- are short story collections. Do y'all think that's because of the rules and style of the genre itself or is it to do with marketing and other business-side aspects of publishing?

No ghost story should be of any length. [...] The authentic note of horror is struck in the eerie suggestion which, as we have noticed, is of intent left ill-defined. Nothing could be more crude than an explanation, and it is this banality that often ruins a story which otherwise might be of the very first order. […] it is well-nigh impossible for a story which deals with the supernatural or the horrible to be sustained to any great length. Elements which at first are almost unendurable will lose their effect if they are continued, for the reader’s mind insensibly becomes inured to fresh emotions of awe and horror.

--Montague Summers, The Vampire: His Kith and Kin, 1928

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, that's an outstanding answer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is tummy feels based off of my own (terrible) attempts at writing and from running a bunch of horror tabletop games, but I always felt like a big part of horror is tension.

Building, and even more so maintaining, tension is a lot like playing a tune on an instrument ; it's not that it's hard per se (although it can be, depends), but you have to keep doing it the whole time and you can't stop ; if you gently caress up and play the wrong fret you done hosed up. And the longer your story/tune goes on, the more likely you are to gently caress it up, especially if you're not good.

This puts a big stonking filter over everything, so there's going to be a lot more good short stories or 16 measure fiddle-tunes than there are going to be good sweeping novels or entire symphonies ; they're just inherently more difficult by nature of doing the same task but longer.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

they also made it into one of those Warped Tour bands

Took me way too long to get this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

No ghost story should be of any length. [...] The authentic note of horror is struck in the eerie suggestion which, as we have noticed, is of intent left ill-defined. Nothing could be more crude than an explanation, and it is this banality that often ruins a story which otherwise might be of the very first order. […] it is well-nigh impossible for a story which deals with the supernatural or the horrible to be sustained to any great length. Elements which at first are almost unendurable will lose their effect if they are continued, for the reader’s mind insensibly becomes inured to fresh emotions of awe and horror.

--Montague Summers, The Vampire: His Kith and Kin, 1928
Yeah this does a good job of explaining why Shirley Jackson's short stories resonate so much with me (other than like, her just being a fantastic writer).
Honestly the one of hers that has always stuck with me the most is one in The Lottery where it's just a little kid interacting with a creepy dude on a train for like, 5-6 pages.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah this does a good job of explaining why Shirley Jackson's short stories resonate so much with me (other than like, her just being a fantastic writer).
Honestly the one of hers that has always stuck with me the most is one in The Lottery where it's just a little kid interacting with a creepy dude on a train for like, 5-6 pages.

Oh that one is so good. Really all of The Lottery is a masterclass in creepy implication, so many of the stories are not in any way what you'd think of as traditional horror stories but they're creepy or unsettling in a very effective way, imo. And a lot of them sound like nothing if you just sat down and explained the plot to someone.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh that one is so good. Really all of The Lottery is a masterclass in creepy implication, so many of the stories are not in any way what you'd think of as traditional horror stories but they're creepy or unsettling in a very effective way, imo. And a lot of them sound like nothing if you just sat down and explained the plot to someone.
Yeah, I adore that collection and so much of her writing, she's a master of creepy implication like you say and keeping things going just the riiight amount. And I love how her "horror" encompasses so much, like, she has ghost stories and classic haunted hause and trapped in a painting poo poo, knocks it out of the park, but also just creeps the gently caress out of you writing about a creepy stranger on a train or a really bitter hateful old woman who sends her neighbors cruel notes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

zoux posted:

The best sci-fi stuff is still being published at short lengths it's just that nobody wants to read or talk about it.

Even here in the horror thread, mostly people recommend novels.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I can drop some short story recs (available online) if there's interest.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

I can drop some short story recs (available online) if there's interest.

Please do!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My favorite horror author is laird barron, and some of his stuff is available online.

https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1597801461/1597801461.htm

This has three from The Imago Sequence. Procession of the Black Sloth is a fever dream and one of my favorites.

https://www.nightmare-magazine.com/fiction/frontier-death-song/

Frontier Death Song is another one of my favorites.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

read Lisa Tuttle or you’re cringe!!!

Valancourt republished A Nest of Nightmares (and a second one of her collections in their Monster She Wrote line) and they’re great—really sticky and strange and dark.

the latter in particular, The Dead Hours of Night, I can’t get great swaths of it out of my head. “Food Man” and “Closet Dreams” were both done on the Pseudopod podcast and “The Dream Detective” is available for free on Lightspeed magazine’s website if you need a sampler

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I guess that it's true the thread has mostly been talking about novels recently but I feel like it's probably not true overall that we're focused on them over short stories, there are just so many good collections out there. Though I may be conflating this thread with the Cosmic Horror thread that sort of preceded it.

Some short story collections I'd recommend, though not many of these would be available online I imagine:

The Lottery though it was just mentioned, also just about anything from Aickman. Nothing he writes is straight-up horror in the modern sense but he definitely fits the bill of the thread's general preferences, I think. I can never remember what is in which collection, but IIRC both Cold Hand in Mine and Dark Entries are good.

The Weird is massive and has taken me literal years to get through but there's some amazing stuff in there that's extremely hard to get anywhere else. There's a couple of stories that are must-reads for anybody that likes nautical-ish horror (think "The Butcher's Table" but less hellish), though the names of both escape me.

Brian Evenson's Collapse of Horses and Windeye are both great.

I imagine anyone posting here is familiar with Ligotti but if not, Songs of a Dead Dreamer, Grimscribe, and Teatro Grottesco are all good. Teatro might be the most varied collection? I can't remember anymore.

Matthew Bartlett is also one that comes up a bunch and he's got a very distinct style, I've only read Gateways to Abomination but it was great.

Nathan Ballingrud is another thread favorite, either North American Lake Monsters if you want beautifully written, soul-crushing horror stories, or Wounds for more traditional (still very well written) horror fare.

Stephen Graham Jones is kind of hit or miss for me but honestly some of his short stories are better than his novel work, After the People Lights Have Gone Off has a couple of good stories. His writing tends to be a lot more low-key than out-and-out horror though.

MR James is sort of the classic ghost story writer from before horror really established itself as a genre, you can find a bunch of his work online since it's all in public domain iirc. I like a lot of his stuff but if you only read one, "Oh, Whistle, And I'll Come To You, My Lad" is probably his best known story. That or "Casting the Runes".

Similarly, Arthur Machen and Algernon Blackwood are good options for shorter works in the public domain, I absolutely love "The Great God Pan" from Machen and "The WIllows" from Blackwood, but there's other stuff out there.

For multi-author collections, Ellen Datlow has a bunch but they're kind of hit or miss. The "Best Horror of the Year" collections tend to be pretty good though. Other than those and The Weird I actually haven't read a ton of collections, just the Books of Cthulhu which were both solid.

And honestly, Stephen King isn't a bad rec if you want straight-up modern American horror writing. Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are both good. His son (Joe Hill) has a couple of good collections too, 20th Century Ghosts and Strange Weather.

I know I'm forgetting a bunch that I really like but there's some!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Don't forget Books of Blood

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah I liked the first Books of Blood way more than I expected. I know Barker's a little more divisive today, and he definitely does read like he was trying to be deliberately provocative, which can come off a little contrived in comparison to modern horror, but it has some of my favorite horror stories I've ever read ("Midnight Meat Train" and "In the Hills, the Cities" mostly)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
For multi-author anthologies I really liked both American Supernatural Tales edited by S.T. Joshi and The Dark Descent edited by David G. Hartwell. The latter is massive.

Joyce Carol Oates writes fantastic short stories and I don’t see her name come up as often as it should. She has published quite a few collections (out of the handful I’ve read, I liked the stories in The Collector of Hearts the most) and I’ve read many of her work in various anthologies over the years and have always enjoyed it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any opinions on Philip Fracassi? A favorite local publisher of mine has translated and released two of his books (Behold the Void and Sacculina) and I'm thinking of pulling the plug.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just finished Helpmeet by Naben Ruthman. Very good gothic body horror novella. Definitely recommend and will be looking for more by this author.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

anilEhilated posted:

Any opinions on Philip Fracassi? A favorite local publisher of mine has translated and released two of his books (Behold the Void and Sacculina) and I'm thinking of pulling the plug.

I like him, having read a few chapbooks of his. I have a collection of his short stories (Beneath a Pale Sky) sitting on my shelf once I work my way through some others

Nthing the Christopher Slatsky recommendation from earlier as well, reallly a strong collection of stories.

I also like Gemma Files quite a bit

I'm somewhat hit or miss on Jon Padgett but some of this works are excellent

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

nate fisher posted:

The guy who wrote The Ruins, Scott Smith, wrote another dark depressing book (not horror tho) called Simple Plan. I do remember it as a pretty good book (I read it back in the 90's), and it was made into a Sam Rami movie with Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton. I also really liked The Ruins.

What is depressing about Scott Smith is he has written 2 really good books, but those are the only books he has written in the last 30 years. He is even worse than Donna Tartt since she has at least written 3 books in the last 30 books. I did just google him (I was wondering if he was a pen name for some other writer) and there is a Christmas horror collection called Hark the Herald Angels Scream with one of his short stories in it. I am going to buy and save it for the holidays.

Can confirm that his short story in that collection is awesome. It's the second one.

I disliked Padgett's Secret of Ventriloquism. Found it too derivative and inconsistent. Fracassi's Beneath A Pale Sky is incredible though.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 9, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Finished The Searching Dead and didn't like it very much. Ramsey's reaching for a lot of stuff but not quite grasping all of them. There's one or two core ideas that are good but could have been better at short length.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So what was the thread consensus on Eric Larocca's Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke?

Because, well uh, that definitely was a thing. I liked Lost A Lot of Blood better. Both felt kind of first draft-y to me.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I like it less the more I think about it honestly.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Same. I feel like I was expecting it to go much further than it did and the two characters weren't as interesting as they should have been

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Great cover though!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'd never read The Passage by Justin Cronin and now I'm trying to fall asleep at 1am after realizing I just spent five hours straight reading the first third of the book

I do realize this whole page is about short stuff but oh well!

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 12, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jeremy Robert Johnson released a new novella recently, In the River

it’s a dark man vs nature story that avoids most of the transmetropiltan-esque “new weird” stuff in a lot of his other stories. the prose verges on maudlin at points but overall it’s decent and has one particularly excellent passage

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'd never read The Passage by Justin Cronin and now I'm trying to fall asleep at 1am after realizing I just spent five hours straight reading the first third of the book

I do realize this whole page is about short stuff but oh well!

The first book is extraordinarily ambitious and I think largely accomplishes what it sets out to do very well. But by the third book I was constantly checking how many pages I had left and rolling my eyes at the introduction of huge new characters halfway into the final book of a trilogy and in the end I just gave up and read a summary. Your mileage may vary.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

zoux posted:

The first book is extraordinarily ambitious and I think largely accomplishes what it sets out to do very well. But by the third book I was constantly checking how many pages I had left and rolling my eyes at the introduction of huge new characters halfway into the final book of a trilogy and in the end I just gave up and read a summary. Your mileage may vary.

honestly the first third up to the inevitable breakdown was great, we'll see what happens afterwards

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Same. I feel like I was expecting it to go much further than it did and the two characters weren't as interesting as they should have been

100%

The motivations made little sense and both characters were fickle and cartoonish

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

Jeremy Robert Johnson released a new novella recently, In the River

it’s a dark man vs nature story that avoids most of the transmetropiltan-esque “new weird” stuff in a lot of his other stories. the prose verges on maudlin at points but overall it’s decent and has one particularly excellent passage

I liked it the first time I read it, but now that I’m a parent I don’t think I could handle a reread.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
You ever read a Lovecraft influenced novel and realize there's a specific Lovecraft story that this author got really hung up on?

Because I feel like Lumley needs to put down The Tomb after reading The Transition of Titus Crow.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/MrHolness/status/1559829545519300609?t=K8lNx8PmSMWTIxL7jOdOsw&s=19

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Why is Stephen King so drat horny? I’m rereading Bag of Bones and dear god. The story’s good and pretty chilling IMO, and I can see the theme of lust as an element of horror but it’s just everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Why is Stephen King so drat horny? I’m rereading Bag of Bones and dear god. The story’s good and pretty chilling IMO, and I can see the theme of lust as an element of horror but it’s just everywhere.

Because he's Stephen King and that's just what he do. That's like asking why everything is set in Maine and the protagonist is a horror writer with a substance abuse problem who got hit by a van.

Apropos, I've actually been giving King some kind of mad trial-by-combat day in court again : I'm about halfway through IT and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. I'm waiting to post thoughts about it until I'm actually done, but jesus this book is the most mixed bag of pure King ever. There's a pretty good book in here, maybe several good books, but it is absolutely buried hat-deep in rolling waves of elemental yikes.

Like, I've been on the internet my whole life, I didn't expect this book to teach me new racial slurs I'd never heard of before.