Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Elea posted:

A type of seagrass, halophila dicipiens, that washed up on the kayak this morning. If only I had a salt water aquarium I'd take a crack at growing it.

Whoa. Speaking as a north eastern Pacific boy, that's a weird sea grass!

Platystemon posted:

They do.

Very easy to sprout.

I’ve used the ziplock bag with a moist paper towel method with great success.

Good to know. I know of a couple of producing trees in town so they will grow here. None of the the usual sources of weird poo poo ever have them in though so I will have to try some seeds the next time fresh lychees appear in the stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

Free pseudocereals

Yeah pseudocereals is innocent!

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I haven't quite figured out what kind of fertilizer to use for Mullington Berrymore, but I don't know if it matters at this point. The wind knocked my mulberry over, and the second time it went down it broke a branch and the main stem. I repotted it but I have no idea if the main stem will grow again. :negative:

My blueberries are all iron deficient and stopped growing. Have since applied acid-lovers fertilizer.

Whatever sprouts I had are mostly dying or dead. It seems like the Sakata Sweet melon is on its way out, the tomatillo's done for. They don't get enough sunlight inside but they'll fry if I put them outside, so I don't know what to do with the Casper eggplant.

What seems to be left are the cherry tomatoes, which are thriving, and maybe the sweet pepper sproutlings. I would hope peppers can tolerate heat. If the peppers I have can deal with the heat/UVs I'll probably try to sow more and just be the Sweet Pepper Lady.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Any nightshade will love heat, just make sure the watering is consistent.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

poverty goat posted:

my volunteer lambs quarter is now 7 feet tall and in bloom
I've got volunteers that decided to do a sort of two sisters improv:

That's a volunteer Malabar spinach (red vine and large, round leaves) climbing up a volunteer epazote (bits going to seed and the narrow, ribbed leaves). They're currently towering several feet over a bunch of sprawling ground cherries (intentionally sown, not doing so hot this season). The Malabar spinach and epazote are fifth...sixth?...generation volunteers.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just popping in to say thank you to this thread for telling me to grow sungolds, I am loving obsessed.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

showbiz_liz posted:

Just popping in to say thank you to this thread for telling me to grow sungolds, I am loving obsessed.

Right? They're like candy.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it possible to purchase pollen?

I got the Florida Rose blueberry bush to pollinate the Pink Lemonade, but honestly it looks like I was too late and the former is on its way out.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

They're like garden crack. I've always equated cherry tomatoes to the little bits and pieces that get eaten on the line at a restaurant. Little secret gems that, if you know, you know. A sun warm cherry tomato eaten in the garden will justify a whole tough season for me. Or maybe like a dozen. Okay maybe like thirty. It's hot out here and nobody else is helping, don't judge me.

SubG posted:

That's a volunteer Malabar spinach (red vine and large, round leaves) climbing up a volunteer epazote (bits going to seed and the narrow, ribbed leaves). They're currently towering several feet over a bunch of sprawling ground cherries (intentionally sown, not doing so hot this season). The Malabar spinach and epazote are fifth...sixth?...generation volunteers.

Super jealous of the Malabar. We've planted it for several years and got really nothing out of it. In theory it would be an ideal plant for central NC and a good pick as you go loose leaf option but for whatever reason I've never had any luck with it. It will grow as tall as you let it and thrives in this current heat.

mischief fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 6, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mischief posted:

Super jealous of the Malabar. We've planted it for several years and got really nothing out of it. In theory it would be an ideal plant for central NC and a good pick as you go loose leaf option but for whatever reason I've never had any luck with it. It will grow as tall as you let it and thrives in this current heat.
Had completely the opposite experience: bought the Malabar on a whim many years ago and it's been entirely self-propagating since then. Usually have to pull up a few because it's an aggressively sprawling/climbing vine, so it likes spreading itself to nearby soil.

Same with the epazote, but it's one of those things that you don't intentionally sow without knowing ahead of time that it's basically a culinary weed.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

SubG posted:

Had completely the opposite experience: bought the Malabar on a whim many years ago and it's been entirely self-propagating since then. Usually have to pull up a few because it's an aggressively sprawling/climbing vine, so it likes spreading itself to nearby soil.

Same with the epazote, but it's one of those things that you don't intentionally sow without knowing ahead of time that it's basically a culinary weed.

See also: shiso (red and green) and in my yard, cherry tomatoes, some sort of fava bean hybrid, fennel and lemon grass.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

rojay posted:

See also: shiso (red and green) and in my yard, cherry tomatoes, some sort of fava bean hybrid, fennel and lemon grass.
Yeah, I've got a shitload of other persistent volunteers, although I think the Malibar spinach is the one that's most...overt?...about it, just sprawling everywhere and everywhere it sprawls gets Malibar the next season. I've also been actively encouraging the bitter melons to self-sow (by ending the season by leaving a few ripe fruit on the vine and then working them into the soil) because they seem to produce more robust vines that way. Husk Solanaceae also end up self-sowing themselves a lot, so there are always volunteer ground cherries (which usually get to grow unless they're somewhere where it would cause a problem, but they can be fine sprawling out under cukes or beans or whatever) and volunteer tomatillos (which get ruthlessly pulled up unless they're somewhere where they won't end up strangling/shading out something else, because those fuckers get huge).

Lately it's really the Japanese sweet potatoes that have been the "oh poo poo how did that get there" volunteer. They will gleefully reproduce from teeny-tiny scraps of root, and I think they got unintentionally introduced into all of my raised beds as a result of shovelling soil between them to level everything between season. They're mostly not a problem though, as the vines make pretty good ground cover to shade out weeds and don't really cause problems for nearby plants unless the main root ball is right on top of somebody else's).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Haven't had time for my garden the last two weeks after my wife went into labor.

The pumpkins seized their moment.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Chad Sexington posted:

Haven't had time for my garden the last two weeks after my wife went into labor.

How many plants do you have in there?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chad Sexington posted:

Tell us about the baby!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

tiniestacorn posted:

How many plants do you have in there?

That's just two seminole pumpkins that I was training as part of a three sisters bed that have since jumped the rails. Still no fruit that I can find, but I think squirrels are nabbing them while they're still small.

The pumpkins didn't really catch on in time to perform their shading function before the first round of sunflowers died. But the sunflower + pole bean combination was extremely effective. Still working through a big bag of purple beans.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tell us about the baby!

She was born at 33 weeks so she's still hanging at the NICU, but is otherwise healthy and doing quite well for a little 4-pound thing. I've already been idly thinking about what I might grow next year that I could turn into baby food. Carrots I've got down already. Maybe peas?

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Chad Sexington posted:

I've already been idly thinking about what I might grow next year that I could turn into baby food. Carrots I've got down already. Maybe peas?

Best of luck with the lil' sprout!

I grew both carrots and peas for my wee bub, as well as broccoli and purple kale for the nutrient boost. Went down a treat and so much better than the stuff in jars. This is the first year I'm getting avocados on my 2 trees, so they're just in time for bub #2 assuming my wife and I don't eat them all first.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My cocktail mint is starting to flower and get scraggly. I aggressively cut back stems with a flower on top. This seems to work with basil but I kinda doubt it actually helps with mint? Can anybody confirm? I do it anyway despite the doubts.

It's sort of a first half of summer herb. Sometimes it has an early fall comeback. Anybody had that experience?

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 10, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my experience, mint comes back gangbusters if you cut it back, assuming it's got enough water.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wrong topic.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Sweet potato plants are flowering, they're pretty

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Huh, didn't know sweet potatoes were in the morning glory family. Thanks for teaching me something today.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Was going out to harvest peppers, and noticed that most of our pasillas had some differing amount of rot or something on them, some more than 50% covered. Is this a nutritional deficiency thing like blossom end rot in tomatos?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ROJO posted:

Was going out to harvest peppers, and noticed that most of our pasillas had some differing amount of rot or something on them, some more than 50% covered. Is this a nutritional deficiency thing like blossom end rot in tomatos?
Looks like blossom end rot to me, which is a pretty common problem in peppers as well. Despite the name, it's not rot but the result of calcium deficiency. So if that's it, add some bone meal or your favourite calcium-rich soil ammendment.

If not blossom end rot, my next guess would be sunscald, which is just sunburn for plants. If that's it, they just want some shade cloth (or to be moved somewhere with a little shade if they're container plants).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ROJO posted:

I'd second the blossom end rot. Really easy to fix with some Cal-Mag, but the best way to do it is to fertilize when planting with a good fertilizer with plenty of the minor nutrients. I used a fish fertilizer (it has ground up fish bones in it for the calcium) this year that has given me really good results along with a half tsp of blood meal when planting in their beds and pots.

The rest of that harvest is looking really nice too, very jealous of everyone's gardens. Only my early varieties are getting ripe, but I have a bunch of fruit to look forward to in September.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Soul Dentist posted:

But my kabocha is being almost too polite about being trellised in a square foot bed:

They haven't even tried to strangle the leeks.

Haha they've gotten impolite.

I trim the monsters every day. As you can see I've also trellised them on the next bed from behind.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jhet posted:

The rest of that harvest is looking really nice too, very jealous of everyone's gardens. Only my early varieties are getting ripe, but I have a bunch of fruit to look forward to in September.

My peppers have been a real mixed back this season. That's a harvest of a shitload of Thai birds (the wee red ones), a handful of some Thai pepper variety whose name I don't remember at the moment (the big red ones), and...a single loving hab.

Long beans have finally started producing. Seems like they took a lot longer to start fruiting this year than in the past.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've had flushes of cayenne and Thai bird, but I'm waiting on lemon Aji and Apollo bell. I know those take longer so I'm hopeful

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

My peppers have been a real mixed back this season. That's a harvest of a shitload of Thai birds (the wee red ones), a handful of some Thai pepper variety whose name I don't remember at the moment (the big red ones), and...a single loving hab.

Long beans have finally started producing. Seems like they took a lot longer to start fruiting this year than in the past.

I've only seen flowers on the long beans in the last couple of days. My impromptu warm tunnel is the only reason my peppers are producing already. It didn't really get above 70 until almost July. I have an orange tomatillo that's happy, but they're small fruit. I expected larger, but they're just cherry size. My heaven facing variety is covered with small growing peppers, the Cajun Belle are producing heavily, erjingtiao are in full, lemon drop are getting loaded, and the fatalii are covered and some early fruit starting to ripen. All the super hots are doing great too, but September is when I'll expect them to be ready.

I don't expect any eggplants even though they're covered in flowers, they don't seem to want to grow any fruit even though they've had regular deep water, it's been hot, they get enough sun, and they've had fertilizer. They're big plants, lots of pollinators flying around and on the flowers. I've tried using a vibrating toothbrush as well, so I just don't know with them. That's two years and not a single eggplant, so I just don't think they make the cut. I'm going to put in a greenhouse, so the space they're in is going to get used for plants that actually want to grow. It should let me winter my super hots easily. The really cold June just really messed with the timing on a lot of these plants. Even the cucumbers are only a few feet long.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Jhet posted:

My impromptu warm tunnel is the only reason my peppers are producing already. It didn't really get above 70 until almost July.

What is it like to not live in a humid hellscape? It was around 90-94 degrees all week, stupid humid, and I think it has rained on my dirt two weeks straight. Appreciate the rain but gently caress me it has been hot.

SubG posted:

That's a harvest of a shitload of Thai birds (the wee red ones)

Those are beautiful peppers and make insanely delicious sauces. I think the last time I grew them I did a mash that was super bright and tasty once I added a little peach to it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

What is it like to not live in a humid hellscape? It was around 90-94 degrees all week, stupid humid, and I think it has rained on my dirt two weeks straight. Appreciate the rain but gently caress me it has been hot.

We do get our fair share of pissing humidity, just not in the summer months. I’ve lived in the hot humidity in Kentucky and it’s unbelievably terrible. 95f and so much humidity that your sweat can’t really evaporate. We haven’t gotten more than about two light rains since June either, so it’s a struggle keeping things nice and watered. But June was cold and pretty wet. I’ll take this over the hot and humidity. I’m just a little surprised I can grow all the hot peppers here and not plants that like similar environments. The collards did great with it last year I should have just grown them again.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I want to plant a multi fruit grafted tree this winter. I'm seeing some that are 2 years old and relatively cheap, is it better to go for a 5 year sapling instead? And should I care about the base trunk in relation to my area? Ie since I'm in the bay area should I get specific a tree that is specific to west coast / California or is it just as long as its good for my zone?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Speaking of getting trees: Does anyone have a good sense of when lowes and home depot tend to start discounting off trees? Given my bad luck in the past I don't really want to throw a lot of money at getting fruit trees again to all get murdered in a freak heat dome but i wouldnt mind trying again at a lower priced attempt.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

silicone thrills posted:

Speaking of getting trees: Does anyone have a good sense of when lowes and home depot tend to start discounting off trees? Given my bad luck in the past I don't really want to throw a lot of money at getting fruit trees again to all get murdered in a freak heat dome but i wouldnt mind trying again at a lower priced attempt.

the last one was the whole month of July. They’ll do it again in Sept/Oct

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

I want to plant a multi fruit grafted tree this winter. I'm seeing some that are 2 years old and relatively cheap, is it better to go for a 5 year sapling instead? And should I care about the base trunk in relation to my area? Ie since I'm in the bay area should I get specific a tree that is specific to west coast / California or is it just as long as its good for my zone?

Have a look at Dave Wilson Nursery's suggested mini-orchard instead. You plant lots of saplings close together and prune to head height. The problem with multi-grafts is that the various grafts are of different strengths, and often the strongest one outgrows the others. It shows up as a nectarine-plum-peach-pluot, but within a couple of years it may be a plum-peach.

https://www.davewilson.com/home-garden/backyard-orchard-culture/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ok Comboomer posted:

the last one was the whole month of July. They’ll do it again in Sept/Oct

Cool. Ill keep an eye out then. Seems like better timing for planting anyway around the seattle area rather than risking death to drought and heat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spikes32 posted:

It’s better to go for a cheap tree. The extra size in the nursery isn’t worth much. They grow so much faster in the ground.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The problem with multi-grafts is that the various grafts are of different strengths, and often the strongest one outgrows the others. It shows up as a nectarine-plum-peach-pluot, but within a couple of years it may be a plum-peach.

This is an avoidable problem, but it takes vigilance in pruning. You need to be merciless in pruning the more vigorous branches to prevent them from shading and just plain out‐growing the others.

I don’t think this is that bad of a burden, you want to prune trees to keep the fruit within easy reach regardless. The difference is that if you let a single‐graft tree get away from you for a couple of years, you can hack it way down to size. A multigraft tree will have lost a variety or two and you can’t prune back to where you were.

Also, pay attention to how you plant it. You want the weakest variety, usually the lowest graft, to get prime sun exposure.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is a future issue, but I'm curious about it now.

Since most of my blueberry bushes are showing iron deficiency, would those branches be able to bear blossoms at all?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

silicone thrills posted:

The flipside is the trees at a place like Home Depot have probably been neglected and murdered ahead of time before you even buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

Cool. Ill keep an eye out then. Seems like better timing for planting anyway around the seattle area rather than risking death to drought and heat.

I was at the HD on Aurora just south of 125th and their stuff is really well take care of for a HD. Most things were not on sale, but it’s the only one I’ve been to that doesn’t drown all their plants.

The irony was that some old guy walked through the succulents complaining that everything hadn’t been watered.