Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

`Nemesis posted:

i actually like this

the stairs slide over for laundry room access

the perspective is a it wonky, video here https://www.reddit.com/user/FiguringItOut--/comments/wk0j44/for_the_people_on_rmildlyinteresting_who/

Yeah this is cool. I'm actually working on a similar but less cool hidden bookshelf door for my laundry closet. Although the bookshelf will only be for installation/removal of the machines because of a series of complications with the space they need to be fit into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I’d get drunk, leave it open, then kill myself when hung over if I had something like that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap: My thoughts exactly

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m gonna ask here because I think this thread is generally frequented by just the right people, and I don’t want to end up having to post the project here later when it all goes pear shaped:

I’m looking at a deck rebuild, making the existing deck larger in a couple directions. I’d also like to do it with fewer posts in the middle of my patio, to make that whole space more open.

Ideally, I’m looking at a beam of like 20’ between what I hope are the only two posts for this section, supporting joists spanning 10’ out from the wall (and cantilevered ~2’ past the beam). As I mentioned, it’s a deck, so consider it exterior and exposed.

Am I looking at a steel beam at this point, or is a gluelam or lvl an option? I assume I’m going to have to engage an engineer to get my builder on board and have it all permitted and such, just curious what I might should expect, ballpark-wise, if anyone wants to hazard a semi-educated guess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Ideally, I’m looking at a beam of like 20’ between what I hope are the only two posts for this section

The LVL span charts typically stop at 18'. You'd need to contact manufacturers and convince your AHJ the charts they give you are adequate and/or get a stamped engineering drawing.

I've never speced steel beams on my own but I assume similar span charts exist.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That seems like something to take up with your builder and an architect/engineer.

The maximum span depends on your joist spacing and the wood it's made of. At 12" spacing, you're looking at 2x10 or 2x12. 16" spacing is definitely 2x12. You would probably have to special order 20' long 2x12s, and they're going to be close to $100 each.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Based on googling, even special order beams on the other of several hundred dollars are a minimal part of the cost here, that’s fine.

And like I said, yeah, an engineer will surely end up being a step here, I’m just wondering where I might be headed.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
So it's got 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a spacious kitchen and direct access to a large cave system.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1557394243894886402?s=20&t=J1L527Xp0A3v7cToX8Fkdg

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

koshmar posted:

So it's got 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a spacious kitchen and direct access to a large cave system.

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1557394243894886402?s=20&t=J1L527Xp0A3v7cToX8Fkdg

This is basically me in every game where you're allowed to build houses and dig underground.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Next owner is going to sheetrock over the cavern and turn it into a 4th bedroom

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

koshmar posted:

Yes please. But also wouldn't sink holes be a concern?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Zil posted:

Yes please. But also wouldn't sink holes be a concern?

Sinkholes, poison gas, casks of amontillado, the usual cave hazards

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Think of all the Creepers and Skeletons they have around their property at night.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

SpartanIvy posted:

Think of all the Creepers and Skeletons they have around their property at night.

Just add some tiki torches around the entrance, problem solved.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SpartanIvy posted:

Voting "Install a shower & hot tub for the :females:"

At least until the state comes in & declares it a protected park site & pays you ten cents on the dollar for eminent domain.

Jows
May 8, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

Nah they'll just paint it stark white

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

My Lovely Horse posted:

imagine coming home drunk

koshmar posted:

I think I finally understand what a Liminal Space is

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

koshmar posted:

The Dwarf Fortress graphical edition does look really good

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

koshmar posted:

I have definitely stealth archered draugr in that cave.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've posted this in here before, but the house with the hosed up front steps not too far from me just got sold.
I love this realtor photo:

The rest of the house is so nicely done, then they just have the "you're going to break your loving neck on halloween" front stairs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've posted this in here before, but the house with the hosed up front steps not too far from me just got sold.
I love this realtor photo:

The rest of the house is so nicely done, then they just have the "you're going to break your loving neck on halloween" front stairs.

Given the run length of those "stairs" they'd be better served by just grading a path.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Warmachine posted:

Given the run length of those "stairs" they'd be better served by just grading a path.

I'm guessing that's cheaper to form and pour, too.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Warmachine posted:

It's about 35ish feet, and about a 6' rise, so it would be a pretty decent slope if they did that. Doing it with steps at the end and top and a gently sloped middle sectionwould be easily doable though, or just gently slope down until you hit the garden and throw 4 or 5 steps there.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 11, 2022

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I know it's just a render.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm the unusable garage doors situated directly behind a row of hedges

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hi the unusable garage doors situated directly behind a row of edges, I'm the joke.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm the turret tower on the far right.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I thought the sidewalk that just ends was a nice touch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I thought the sidewalk that just ends was a nice touch.

Too true to life

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My Lovely Horse posted:

imagine coming home drunk

I love this.

We bought a 100-year-old craftsman two years ago, in an area zoned B1 (mixed office and residential). The house had been awkwardly converted into a marketing firm by running ethernet everywhere (yay!) and randomly slapping up floating walls to subdivide rooms, and it already has some weirdness due to being old.

Here are some pictures I took of some of the more interesting angles and features.

We are going to restore it to a more house like configuration, but that got delayed when a tree fell on it a month after purchase, right during the everything. Took 2 years to fix and cost just shy of $100K, mostly paid by insurance thank god.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm assuming you're looking at the ceiling here, but for a good five minutes my brain was bugging out because I couldn't figure out which way was "up" in this photo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/yu77Apw.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

what? it's just an electrified leverset

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

A striking-plate indeed.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jeherrin posted:

A striking-plate indeed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

:supaburn:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Needs an "In case of emergency, break glass" box with an angle grinder in it

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

This one got an audible "wow!" out of me. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wish I still had the pics from the listing of “house that obviously had been converted into some kind of medical office and the provider died or retired”