Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Russian Bear posted:

1991 Goldwing
"Running when parked"
Has a title
$250

Surely all it needs is a topbox and an LED light bar from Amazon.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1.5 liter flat 6 motor is just begging for a cool project. It’s like a mini Porsche engine, or a VW motor on steroids.

Or strip the bike to its bare minimum and have the fastest goldwing around.

I've honestly wondered how much you could do with a new gold wing engine in a stripped down bike and changing the engine tune.

As is it probably would be similar specs to the Valkyrie but I wonder if it would be even better

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

Surely all it needs is a topbox and an LED light bar from Amazon.

Paint whatever frame you can find in that shop light stand orangey-yellow and call it a Huge Ruckus

(maybe even a Kerfuffle)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I've honestly wondered how much you could do with a new gold wing engine in a stripped down bike and changing the engine tune.

As is it probably would be similar specs to the Valkyrie but I wonder if it would be even better

They’re pretty undertuned in the name of longevity, but the problem is no one makes anything to make them more powerful because the average goldwing rider isn’t throwing cams, high comp pistons and high flow intake and exhaust on their bike.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
God I'd legit be all for it as a project bike if they did. I've wondered what you could do if you stripped everything and then modded one. I do think an issue would be that it really needs a 6th gear, and it's something I don't think you could somehow get around.

But legit, the flat 6 is an amazing engine and it's insane how much power you can pull from it on such a heavy frame. Imagine doing so on a bike that's 400 pounds lighter cause you take off all the excess. Honda won't do it but a new Valkyrie that just goes big wild and is allowed to be insane would be amazing (and I'd buy two)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They’re geared so tall and the powerband is as wide as an ocean, so the lack of 6th gear really isn’t a problem since you’re never in an area of the rev range where it doesn’t make power

Maybe if you really tuned one up and shrunk the powerband down to less than “idle to redline” it might be an issue but stock it’s fine

To be fair I bet you could have a speed shop regrind the cams, you could hone out the intake tract, run pod filters and get/build the gnarliest exhaust you can.

Looks like you can get a powercommander for the 1800 goldwings. Not sure about the 1500’s

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 31, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Not necessarily in a Goldwing frame, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a German equivalent of Boss Hoss, with different Porsche engines.

Fake edit: my spelling correction wants to change Hoss to Hog. That is all.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not necessarily in a Goldwing frame, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a German equivalent of Boss Hoss, with different Porsche engines.

"Boss Pferd" just doesn't sound good, that's probably the reason.

Edit: BOSS ROSS. Get to work.

Strife fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 1, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There's at least one German builder that's collaborated with comic artist and bike enthusiast Rötger Feldman/Brösel, though I guess all of that falls in extremely custom territory.
Usually it's been stupid poo poo like four Vtwins lined up or a big rotary.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Rötger Feldman

:stonk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

4x the oil leaks

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think because in reality the boss hoss are absolutely insane and impractical beyond even the super bikes. The videos and stuff I've seen those things honestly scare me, and I can't imagine how much of a pain they can be.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A small block V8 with a torque converter arranged to a motorbike is scary, but not because it's fast

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Legit looking at them that was one of my thoughts. Especially in such a small form factor so the drat thing is modded to fit and then has a belt or chain connecting to the drive wheel, since I don't think there's room for a shaft on it.

And that's all before you get into the insane weight and other issues that would be common on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boss hoss bikes have to be absolutely terrible to ride. They probably tip over when you rev them, the heat would be unbearable and the thing would need a two speed trans with the worlds tallest gearing.

Same for that jet engine bike that jay Leno owns

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think that's literally what they are, a two speed with a reverse based on a video I saw of one. And the heat god your right. It be terrible as hell to ride since it just be right there, say what you will but I've never noticed it on my bikes unless I jam my legs against the engine, that thing would be radiating into your body hard

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My understanding is that heat scales pretty linearly with power, while the distance between your nuts and the engine doesn't change much at all.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Who was that company in Alabama that made a $30K V4 sport tourer for a few years, then quit? IIRC they used the EU making ABS mandatory as the excuse to stop making bikes, b/c they couldn't get a 3rd party ABS system certified or some poo poo.

The Boss Hoss thing makes me think of those V4s because they were supposedly designed to be as close as possible to half of an LS(3?), including using some GM parts.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Motus:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those honestly didn't seem like they were a bad bike but they also had heavy Buell syndrome in that they seemed like the perfect bike for the designer himself, personally, and not at all something marketable to tens of thousands of people.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Boss hoss bikes have to be absolutely terrible to ride. They probably tip over when you rev them, the heat would be unbearable and the thing would need a two speed trans with the worlds tallest gearing.

Same for that jet engine bike that jay Leno owns

The only time I've ever seen any being ridden was the one time I ever joined a toy run

(yknow, bring a toy for charity, drive slowly around the city with a shitload of other motorcyclists and bikers)

Can't imagine 10 km/h max with a V8 blaring heat at your nuts was a good time but what do I know.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Incidentally even the heat coming off the Rex's engine, with a conventional exhaust mounting, makes me kinda glad my only pants are leathers. I've ridden in just my jeans a few times and it gets swampy quick.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I was completely unprepared for the heat coming off the Monster 1200. I thought my VFR cooked me when the fans came on but having the exhaust right under my leg at a stoplight is…woof. I’ll be happy when it cools down a bit up here in the PNW.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

I was completely unprepared for the heat coming off the Monster 1200. I thought my VFR cooked me when the fans came on but having the exhaust right under my leg at a stoplight is…woof. I’ll be happy when it cools down a bit up here in the PNW.

If you think that's bad, imagine being your rear brake reservoir!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I look at those and wonder if they are even fun to ride honestly. They don't look comfortable to sit on. Let alone the heat and just noise they would put out

Boss hoss I mean not your monster

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

They're just so gently caress ugly, the huge motor makes the front wheel look tiny, which it is (16" probably because that what was available in large quantities in the late 80's, the last time an "engineer" put a pencil to this design). One of the rare bikes that would look better with a big stupid oversized wheel on the front. Being an american boomermobile also inevitably leads to poo poo like this:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Slavvy posted:

If you think that's bad, imagine being your rear brake reservoir!

I do not envy it at all. I was shocked with its placement when I was giving the bike a once over. What the gently caress Ducati?

And that trike is a thing straight out of my fever dreams. I’d say what the gently caress to that too but honestly like you said it’s kind of expected with those bikes.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I actually saw one of these in the flesh at my local triumph dealer in the used section one day last year. Had no idea what it was but it looked fairly well built. Would love to know what the PO traded it in for.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Huh, found out that the gold wing 1800 fog light kit fits my Valkyrie. Really tempted to slap a kit on soon. The ones I'm seeing are a tri type with daytime lights, a turn signal amber, then actual fog lights turned on by the high beams. And slide right where the engine guards are. Neat.

Next year might do a bunch of tune ups and see some things I can do with her is my thought once winters done.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The call was too strong to ignore so today I did this:

That's right, a 24-hour Twisted Road rental of this well-used 2015. The more I thought about the FJR the more it made sense for me but I was worried the size and weight would be too much to put up with. $100 to rent this for the day seemed like a good investment.

I'm glad I did it this way because for the first twenty minutes, I didn't like it very much. All I noticed at first was the extra wheelbase and rake and how weird it steered compared to my bikes. The first ~40 minutes of the ride was stop-and-go through the outer suburbs and after that when it started stretching its legs I really warmed up to it.

It is such an exceptionally competent machine, in the best possible way, like it could cross the continent three times in a week and then go to a track day. And by body position and handling dynamics and controls it still felt like riding a regular (read: standard) motorcycle. I was shocked and quite pleased at how well it changes direction. The only time I noticed that it weighs 650 pounds was when stopped and while stopping. Cruise control is wonderful and it brings me much joy.

The worst part was learning about buffeting. This was my first experience on a fully faired bike and twice I had to stop and adjust my earplugs for a better seal because the wind noise was too loud. The windscreen worked well at the lowest setting where the air hit the top of my shoulders, but if I slid it up the noise and turbulance was too much to put up with. Obviously there are lots of aftermarket options and I think this can be resolved with some experimenting but it mildly disappointed me nonetheless.

When I got home at the end of the day I had a twelve-pack of beer in the side case and a head full of ideas of where I could ride this thing to. I think I'm going to buy one.

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 14, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

An fjr street fighter would be cool and different and fix the buffeting problem.

Also now picturing you as james may announcing BUFFETING

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah welcome to dadtown!

And you are right there are about a million different aftermarket options that will solve that buffeting problem for you

And yeah the ergos are what separates the Japanese sport-ish cruiser-ish type bikes from what you’d think of as a “classic cruiser”. Having your feet down under you makes a big difference in how it feels to ride, compared to forward controls.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 14, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

There are sooo many cheap, clean FJRs near me, it's very tempting. Every time I see one on the road I'm like, hey future me :hmmyes:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I just got back from returning the FJR and I already miss it. I think my fate is sealed.

e: I didn't even mention how good the mirrors were. how's that for a dad bike post, the mirrors kicked rear end

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 15, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They're good bikes, I've had two and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

There are roughly 8 million windscreen options that can help with buffeting, but getting one of those little clamp-on laminar lips can make a big difference with the stock screen and might be cheaper in the long run since you can move them between bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPrNC9LRnE

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

e: I didn't even mention how good the mirrors were. how's that for a dad bike post, the mirrors kicked rear end

It's the daddest opinion. Touring bikes have the best mirrors because nerdy looking mirrors always work better. When the rest of your bike is already pretty nerdy because it has bags and a windshield, and like.. heat, it steals the nerdiness away from the mirrors and makes them perfect.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

They're good bikes, I've had two and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Did either of yours have the electronic suspension? That's the only part I'm still undecided about.

All else equal I'd prefer to buy an A model with standard suspension but I don't know if I'd turn down an ES if the price and condition was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
No, I had a Gen 1 (2004) and an earlier Gen 2 (2007) before Yamaha added the ES options, cruise, etc. The 2016+ got cornering lights, a slipper clutch, throttle by wire + cruise, a 6th gear, and the electronic suspension stuff.

I've done test rides on ES-equipped bikes when Yamaha brings the trailer through town, and it's OK but not impressive. The only electronic suspension package I have ridden that I'd actually buy again in a heartbeat is Ducati's SkyHook. Everything else has just been an easy way to set and forget multiple preload settings, and maybe damping. I think the money would be better spent on some aftermarket fork cartridges and a double- or triple-clicker shock with a remote preload collar on it, unless the ES package comes with a bunch of other stuff you want.

IIRC the non-ES FJR still has a remote preload lever (you get two settings, single rider or passenger).