Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I did it! I kept my orchid alive and happy long enough for a new round of flowers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
V nice. I saw you had asked about fertilizing .. in my experience, fertilizing an orchid that's about to flower can cause it to stop/delay flowering in favor of vegetative growth (leaves n roots). So don't fertilize when you have a flower spike! otherwise, i like to do 1/2 strength fertilizer 1x per week . "Weekly, weakly".

the other thing to maybe consider is repotting the orchid once those beautiful flowers are finished. Retail phaelanopis plants are usually planted in 100% sphagnum moss which retains a ton of moisture, but doesn't allow for airflow. Makes it easy for retail/casual owners since they wont hardly have to water but not really conducive to long term health. The Miracle Gro orchid soil is honestly pretty good IMO--if perhaps a bit coarse--but small pine bark chips 1-2cm in size would work well too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Any recommendations for drought tolerant, full sun grass alternatives for northeast US? Purple thyme is nice looking but it seems like you need to water it just as much as grass. I seem to be narrowing things down to rocks, concrete, or weeds and I’m not wild about any of them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

V nice. I saw you had asked about fertilizing .. in my experience, fertilizing an orchid that's about to flower can cause it to stop/delay flowering in favor of vegetative growth (leaves n roots). So don't fertilize when you have a flower spike! otherwise, i like to do 1/2 strength fertilizer 1x per week . "Weekly, weakly".

the other thing to maybe consider is repotting the orchid once those beautiful flowers are finished. Retail phaelanopis plants are usually planted in 100% sphagnum moss which retains a ton of moisture, but doesn't allow for airflow. Makes it easy for retail/casual owners since they wont hardly have to water but not really conducive to long term health. The Miracle Gro orchid soil is honestly pretty good IMO--if perhaps a bit coarse--but small pine bark chips 1-2cm in size would work well too.

Thanks! I won't worry about fertiliser then for now. I actually repotted it into chips already last year, a little ill-advisedly since it still had its flowers at the time but it kept them quite happily for months afterwards so dodged that bullet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’ve repotted 9/10 phals with flowers/buds (some were emergency rescue jobs that needed to happen right away, and/or the plant had an infection/dead parts that needed cleaning) to zero problems. IIRC one of the mini phals got knocked off the counter and dropped on its spike during the process and the flowers all still turned out fine

Of all my phals, I believe eight reflowered at least once this year. I got kinda neglectful with them at various points and lost a few spikes here and there but I’m pretty happy with them all around

I lost three concurrent spikes on my big generic white to incompetence this past year and the trooper just kept throwing out new ones 😅, like ”no, you ape you will not take this away from me”, and now it’s grown two new leaves, but the one it pushed out during the heat wave is a little bit stumpy

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

pokie posted:

Cactus with rot in the trunk update.
I dug up and repotted the cactus in fresh soil (equal parts granite, pumice and fir bark with a dash of compost). It was mostly dry with some mild dampness deeper in. I should probably water less often. I took some photos of the roots.
Album:
https://imgur.com/a/Xbu6PGa

I see a lot of healthy roots down there, but did you wash the old potting soil off? That sounds like a nice gritty mix, but if you leave a bunch of soil that holds a lot more water right against the roots it's going to be hard to tell when you should actually be watering.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Wallet posted:

I see a lot of healthy roots down there, but did you wash the old potting soil off? That sounds like a nice gritty mix, but if you leave a bunch of soil that holds a lot more water right against the roots it's going to be hard to tell when you should actually be watering.

Old mix was quite gritty too, so I decided to err on the side of not disturbing the root system more given that I didn't see any unhealthy roots. The remaining old mix was pretty dry near the center of the root ball and relatively solid. It would take a fair bit of work to get it loose.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ohhyeah posted:

I have no idea, but these guys would know: https://denver.extension.colostate.edu/programs/horticulture/

Skimming through some of the articles there and it sounds way different than East Coast gardening, particularly the much more alkaline soil.
Thank you, this was really helpful! Reading through this has helped me identify a few native plants, and it's actually pretty cool driving around seeing some people using them in their front yards instead of lawns.

Unrelated, is buying and selling pollen a thing?

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Does anyone else have a spider plant that is just producing a frankly feral number of baby spider plants? It's getting to about 2 years old now and oh my god. Having recently re-potted it there is definitely an uptick in the number of spiderettes.

Having killed plants previously attempting this, is there any particular way to remove these without harming the motherplant? The spider plant is looking a bit lacklustre

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

thrashingteeth posted:

Does anyone else have a spider plant that is just producing a frankly feral number of baby spider plants? It's getting to about 2 years old now and oh my god. Having recently re-potted it there is definitely an uptick in the number of spiderettes.

Having killed plants previously attempting this, is there any particular way to remove these without harming the motherplant? The spider plant is looking a bit lacklustre

Just cut them off and stick them in soil. Not sure why it didn't work for you before, but spider plants are one of the easiest to propogate houseplants there is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Just cut them off and stick them in soil. Not sure why it didn't work for you before, but spider plants are one of the easiest to propogate houseplants there is.

you can also grow them up in water if they’re too small

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

welp

The dead eucalyptus tree in our yard finally decided to fall over. Luckily it decided to fall in a direction where it's resting on the branches of like 2 or 3 other trees, so it's not currently falling, but it's still leaning in the direction of our house which is bad.

I scheduled a tree removal service on Angi but the soonest they can come is Wednesday morning, so I also requested a few other quotes on Yelp to see if anyone can come out sooner. Is there another good pro-finding app I can use too?

EDIT: Oh drat I got like 3 replies already. Two guys coming out this afternoon. Nice!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 15, 2022

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

thrashingteeth posted:

There's not much to it. The plantlets should just pull off the stem without too much effort, or you could clip off a bit of stem with them and pot the whole thing, or if you just want them out of there you could clip off the entire stem that's producing close to the base of the plant.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I had powdery mildew that got out of hand on a pea plant and a couple of peonies while I was on vacation. Neem alone wasn't doing it, so I went googling in search of something stronger. I landed on Potassium Bicarbonate powder. A tablespoon/gallon mixed with a couple teaspoons of neem/gallon (you just need a surfactant of some kind, so why not one that's also mildly antifungal) is a goddamn wonder-drug. The first application knocked the mildew back about 2/3 in a week. It's even supported by some actual research. Highly recommended!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Does anyone here have experience with fungicides? I am looking for something that may help addressing an infection vs merely preventative measures.

e: VVV thanks, i am blind, lol

pokie fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 18, 2022

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
My post right above yours :)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

A couple pages ago I posted questions about how to clone hardwoods. Y’all gave some good advice. This is the first new leaf. My midsummer cloning experiment has been a (partial) success. Only two have died so far. Sucks for those two plants, but look, a leaf! An actual new leaf. This means there’s roots, right?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Popoi posted:

There's not much to it. The plantlets should just pull off the stem without too much effort, or you could clip off a bit of stem with them and pot the whole thing, or if you just want them out of there you could clip off the entire stem that's producing close to the base of the plant.

I had a ton of spider plants at work and had the most success with sticking the baby plant in a pot while still attached to the original and letting it grow roots before snipping.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yes plants tend to do better when their roots are grown in and established

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Lakitu7 posted:

I had powdery mildew that got out of hand on a pea plant and a couple of peonies while I was on vacation. Neem alone wasn't doing it, so I went googling in search of something stronger. I landed on Potassium Bicarbonate powder. A tablespoon/gallon mixed with a couple teaspoons of neem/gallon (you just need a surfactant of some kind, so why not one that's also mildly antifungal) is a goddamn wonder-drug. The first application knocked the mildew back about 2/3 in a week. It's even supported by some actual research. Highly recommended!

Do you spray with it or what?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
My wife takes better pictures than I do.

The large cream colored bloom in the second picture is 7-8" across.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

pokie posted:

Do you spray with it or what?

Yes, mix with water in that ratio and spray once a week. Avoid spraying during the midday hot afternoon sun.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DreadLlama posted:

This means there’s roots, right?
Hopefully, but maybe not. Give it a few more weeks before you try to transplant or disturb it. Sometimes there is enough energy in the cutting to put out a new leaf even without new roots.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Hello thread,

I moved from a place that's frozen over half the year to a place with scorching sun and got tempted by being able to pick tangerines and lemons from trees, but instead of fruit my future-garden balcony is bearing death

At first I thought the tap water is too basic and tried adding some vinegar, for the blackberry it changed from the leaves turning purple from the outside to leaves turning purple from the inside

The lavender misses the Lidl it came from

The fig tree started getting these spots on the leaves next day after moving in that google tells me is "fig rust" fungus and is caused by humidity. Is it worth it trying to save it with fungicides?

Is this more likely to be overwatering or acidity issues? The local store did not have pH sticks for me to check the soil but maybe there's a rule of thumb?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Looks to me like they're just burning up. In front of a reflective surface like a wall or window, especially if it's south facing and in a corner where it doesn't get much breeze, can get really really hot and burn up the hardiest stuff even if you water religiously.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Somaen posted:

Hello thread,

I moved from a place that's frozen over half the year to a place with scorching sun and got tempted by being able to pick tangerines and lemons from trees, but instead of fruit my future-garden balcony is bearing death

At first I thought the tap water is too basic and tried adding some vinegar, for the blackberry it changed from the leaves turning purple from the outside to leaves turning purple from the inside

The lavender misses the Lidl it came from

The fig tree started getting these spots on the leaves next day after moving in that google tells me is "fig rust" fungus and is caused by humidity. Is it worth it trying to save it with fungicides?

Is this more likely to be overwatering or acidity issues? The local store did not have pH sticks for me to check the soil but maybe there's a rule of thumb?

Agree with the above. You look like you’re cooking your plants in this historic heat wave.

I’m in Massachusetts and at a certain point even 50% shade cloth wasn’t enough to shield my azalea and citrus bonsai from the oppressive heat and I had to bring them fully under cover

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hopefully, but maybe not. Give it a few more weeks before you try to transplant or disturb it. Sometimes there is enough energy in the cutting to put out a new leaf even without new roots.

Will do!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just wanted to share the Japanese beetle carnage on the Concord grapes around the garden plot I'm apart of.

I learned that neighbors in the area also caught the Japanese beetle infestation and can't grow much of their own produce.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I currently rent an apartment in zone 5b with a small, fully shaded yard. I'd like some zero effort perennial ground cover to make it slightly less drab. I don't think of August as prime planting (or plant buying) season, but I just moved and that's life. Any suggestions?

Edit: Colorado can be pretty dry. Drought tolerant is a huge plus
Double edit: I let my cat outside. Please don't recommend toxic plants. Or I can look up any suggestions

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 23, 2022

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I posted a link to the Colorado state master gardeners extension upthread. Looking at the articles there, some cool plants might be:

Kinnikinnick
Mahonia repens
Lonicera involucrata

The last two are shrubs, but it sounds like you don’t particularly want a lawn-like groundcover. Hostas and heuchera (coral bells) are two other common choices that should be readily available.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ohhyeah posted:

Kinnikinnick

Oh hey I played that dude in our highschool production of Grease

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

That Old Ganon posted:

Just wanted to share the Japanese beetle carnage on the Concord grapes around the garden plot I'm apart of.

I learned that neighbors in the area also caught the Japanese beetle infestation and can't grow much of their own produce.

If either of you has those "bag a bug" beetle traps, throw them out. They're part of the problem. My anecdotal evidence agrees that we had far, far more beetles the year I had the traps. This year without the traps they do some damage but the vines grow fast enough to be mostly okay. After 2 years of fussing with these mystery grapes left by the previous owner, I'm pretty sure they're just regular wild grapes that don't taste very good and I'm just going to rip them out next year anyway. Once those are gone, there's nothing the stupid beetles eat anymore, but if I wanted to keep the grapes, Amazon sells bee/bird netting for cheap that is supposed to work well if you can live with the eyesore.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

I currently rent an apartment in zone 5b with a small, fully shaded yard. I'd like some zero effort perennial ground cover to make it slightly less drab. I don't think of August as prime planting (or plant buying) season, but I just moved and that's life. Any suggestions?

Do you actually mean ground cover or just plants to cover the ground?

If you're actually expecting drought conditions and you don't want to water during them it's going to be somewhat difficult. Dry shade is not really high on most plant's wish lists.

As far as actual ground covers you can probably find a bunch of Lamium and Ajuga at basically any nursery. Myosotis palustris has spread very nicely for me in the shade, as well.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, figured I'd find the plant thread somewhere. Here's what I did today:

Repotted a bunch of stuff, specifically my euphorbia trigona that needed a trimming and the other ones that really needed soil refreshes

Before:

After:

I have a seriously ridiculous amount of house plants, as well as some fairly decent gardens in my yard. I'll try to remember to keep sharing pics with y'all, I have a bunch more houseplants that I need to trim back / repot / take care of

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Wish I knew about this thread for all these years, I'm a flower fiend who tries to see what he can get away with growing indoors or in containers.

A lupinus arboreus hybrid that's developed on my balcony over the last couple years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your avocado or the neighbor’s?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
neighbor, i have no control over how it is pruned

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have learned that I am not the sort of person who can keep a streptocarpus alive.

The sweet siren song of Logees has hit once more. Has anybody here grown a Hoya odorata or stephanotis indoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have learned that I am not the sort of person who can keep a streptocarpus alive.

The sweet siren song of Logees has hit once more. Has anybody here grown a Hoya odorata or stephanotis indoors?

I’m in CT for the next while, I gotta hit up their brick + mortar retail spot

can’t wait to regularly be dropping :10bux::10bux::10bux: at J&L