Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I finally got around to watching Savers again and since the fight with Mercurymon, I've watched up to Eldoradimon getting dropped into the real world essentially nonstop. Series is good.

Yoshino might not be the worst treated female protagonist, but it's close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In a franchise with Izumi and Last Evolution Sora, Yoshino is definitely far from being the worst treated female protagonist. But she's also no Ruki/Mimi:/etc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

In a franchise with Izumi and Last Evolution Sora, Yoshino is definitely far from being the worst treated female protagonist. But she's also no Ruki/Mimi:/etc.

Eri from Appmon is still one of the best in that regard (in fact, she’s even more competent than the boys at times) though Ruli from the current series hasn’t been terrible either in my opinion

Speaking of, do we have any idea how long Ghost Game is going to last (since we’re in the late 30’s and have a new reoccurring Digimon character on the way I assume it’ll be more than 40+ episodes at least)?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, do we have any idea how long Ghost Game is going to last (since we’re in the late 30’s and have a new reoccurring Digimon character on the way I assume it’ll be more than 40+ episodes at least)?

Unknown. There is some rumbling that its timeslot might be taken by Dragon Ball Super next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ran as similarly long as Adventure 20 did.

I am quite curious where the show goes once is no longer in the position of being able to just run one-shot episodes forever. I will frankly watch Ghost Game into perpetuity because it is more or less exactly my jam, but they are going to run out of episodes eventually…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Unknown. There is some rumbling that its timeslot might be taken by Dragon Ball Super next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ran as similarly long as Adventure 20 did.

I am quite curious where the show goes once is no longer in the position of being able to just run one-shot episodes forever. I will frankly watch Ghost Game into perpetuity because it is more or less exactly my jam, but they are going to run out of episodes eventually…

The Dragon Quest anime only has 10 more episodes left so I’d assume Super would likely take its timeslot instead (but we’ll see I guess)

I forget, has there been any hint that there’s some kind of Digital World equivalent in Ghost Game or do the various Digimon just live on earth as holograms?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Larryb posted:

The Dragon Quest anime only has 10 more episodes left so I’d assume Super would likely take its timeslot instead (but we’ll see I guess)

I forget, has there been any hint that there’s some kind of Digital World equivalent in Ghost Game or do the various Digimon just live on earth as holograms?

All of the Digimon came from the Digital World and very few know how to get back

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

All of the Digimon came from the Digital World and very few know how to get back

In that case I wonder if the characters will ever actually go there then, it happens in most of the seasons at least (even Appmon did it)

I also wonder at this point if the series is going to follow the same pattern as Young Hunters (that is, be mostly a series of oneshots before suddenly cramming a plot into the last few episodes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 13, 2022

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

In that case I wonder if the characters will ever actually go there then, it happens in most of the seasons at least (even Appmon did it)

I think the plot is probably going to have them go to the digital world to search for Hiro's dad eventually.

I'm with Omnicrom though, this show is basically exactly my jam, I'll keep watching it as long as they keep making it, plot or no plot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I think the plot is probably going to have them go to the digital world to search for Hiro's dad eventually.

I'm with Omnicrom though, this show is basically exactly my jam, I'll keep watching it as long as they keep making it, plot or no plot.

Yeah, it’s basically like Young Hunters in terms of setup only better in pretty much every aspect. I will also keep watching for as long as they feel like stretching this out because it’s a fun show and the added horror aspect has been pretty well handled so far

I wonder if we’ll eventually get a fourth kid to go with the new Digimon that’s joining the cast soon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I just finished Savers 38 and while I've kind of been rolling my eyes at Masaru always needing to punch the bad guys, they definitely delivered in the Burst Mode scene.

Kurata stuck around way too long.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Seiyal posted:

Well, you can’t just end the story like that, you’ve got me curious. Plus, I’m interested in your deck build as someone who really wanted to try out a Sakuyamon deck too.

That is, if you don’t mind me asking. :allears:

It's really a "Everything lines up right or nothing happens" deck. When it pops off it's amazing.
I'm running full playsets of Ex2 Renamon lines, a few of the other line, 4 Rikas, 2 purple mimis, three of each Plug In from Ex2 and some Piddomon I had sitting in a binder.
Oh and a Calumon that rarely gets used if it's not opening turn.
Basically everything went right, got two early Ex2 Sakuyamon, 2 Mimis, 2Rikaand a bunch of Ex2 Renamon inhereted on Piddomon.
Play Jammer plug in for free, hit sistermon ciels for 7k, return it to hand, hit sistermon blanc for 7k, that frees up blockers. Use inhereted to get a free draw and evo a third Sakuyamon, get plug in back, trigger two Mimis off the card, play two more triggering inhereitable effects for free play, that's 11k dp hits for free (Taomon Ex2 inherited) knocking the Jesmon out. Pop two Security Plug Ins, killing his second Jesmon and his Baohuckmon. No blockers, swing for win.
After everything was done I still had 3 Memory and could still evo another Sakuyamon.

It was nasty. But on the flip side the match before that I barely hit Taomons and got wiped six turns in. If you don't get a tamer and a digivolve plug in first or second turn its hard to build up. Everything is pure memory momentum. But purple Mimi has been MVP for choking out early game since the local meta here is heavy option usage.

---
I normally play Lilithmon, Jesmon or some sort of wacky deck I just want to try. Not big on net decking.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like MagnaAngemon upholds his role as a pseudo mega level in Digimon Survive. A friend was using him and found it VERY funny that Seraphimon had a lower special attack stat

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

Sounds like MagnaAngemon upholds his role as a pseudo mega level in Digimon Survive. A friend was using him and found it VERY funny that Seraphimon had a lower special attack stat

Seraphimon makes up for it by having insane range and mobility, the guy can hit you from halfway across the map

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kortel posted:

But purple Mimi has been MVP for choking out early game since the local meta here is heavy option usage.

Purple Mimi is a fantastic card.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game 38: Espimon has arrived and oh hey, was that an indication of an overarching plot? In an episode that also runs with some of the Japanese Folk Horror/Mythology stuff that was in Survive and the Lamortmon episode? Why I think it was.

More properly, the episode is very clearly here mostly to introduce Espimon and get across that yes, if you've missed literally every press release to date, he is going to be important going forward. He's got an interesting mix of childishness and togetherness, he's less childish than Gammamon but not without his blind spots if he couldn't figure out that Hiro was actually Hiro just because he was wearing different clothing. Relatedly I suspect that the cast are going to be taking rides on that Airdramon in the future as well.

Next time! Gyukimon debuts because there's always room for more body horror!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh yeah, that was Gyukimon in the preview - makes sense, since it looked a lot like the Gyuki episode in Kitaro 2018 near the end. Is that the quickest a Digimon has gotten animated after their reveal?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This Agumon at the start of the Wastelands is a really unfunny joke lol.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just got to Part 4 in Survive and... man, I don't know how to feel about this game yet.

So I tried to give the kids a bit of slack for not having Season 2 knowledge on Arukenimon and how that is just literally her human form if you returned the shades and hat, but almost everything she said was incredibly suspect (especially the fact that we know the professor can't see digimon, which means it's probably a kid only thing based on all the focus on kid sacrifices and poo poo, but no one picked up that she was able to see and react to Agumon) and man that was kind of frustrating to see almost everyone fall into that trap.

Also I am not quite fan of how Ryo was definitely the most unlikable character so far only for the game to introduce Shuuji. For god's sake Kunemon and Lopmon didn't deserve this poo poo at all. An now that Kunemon is gone, I am just more disappointed than anything else, because I liked the little guy. I did read how to save him and for a game where the developers were talking up big stuff on how the choices mattered, can't say that I'm a fan of the "choice" in this scenario being "gotta be on New Game Plus".

The strategy RPG stuff is probably at the lowest bar of competency for right now, but it's not really awful. But it's like... not having various QOL stuff that you saw in Fire Emblem games two decades old is one thing, but Bandai Namco really couldn't have gotten the Super Robot Wars team to show them the ropes a little bit on some stuff? This all plays like it was someone's first attempt at making a SRPG after watching vague youtube videos of Final Fantasy Tactics or something. And it comes down to little stuff like having these huge maps but having enemies that do nothing but turtle all match and having so many elevation points that a lot of digimon can't even jump/cross normally.

I dunno, I'm eager to see what happens next, but I am just having a hard time trying to consolidate how I actually feel about this game right now, and I feel like a lot of little story or gameplay decisions in the next couple of hours will probably sway me heavily

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

About how long is Survive on average and how many endings are there (also what determines which one you get)?

As for Ghost Game, I like Espimon so far but am still curious if he’s going to remain a solo act or if we’re eventually going to get a fourth kid to partner up with him (he did imply that there’s another Hiro out there after all)

Unless we’re headed for the endgame soon I’m guessing this series might wind up being about as long as Colon was give or take a few episodes (the protagonists still haven’t made their requisite trip to the Digital World yet after all). But as mentioned before I’ve been enjoying this show overall so I won’t really mind if they stretch it out a bit

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Larryb posted:

About how long is Survive on average and how many endings are there (also what determines which one you get)?

One run took me about 20 hours. Your path is determined by the dialogue choices you make, with one big choice in chapter eight of twelve. NG+ has the true route that your first playthrough won't have.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

As for Ghost Game, I like Espimon so far but am still curious if he’s going to remain a solo act or if we’re eventually going to get a fourth kid to partner up with him (he did imply that there’s another Hiro out there after all)

To that last bit, I'm not sure that's where they're going at all. At the end there, Espimon is looking at what is clearly Hiro's school ID card (all the details match), which is a thing he never got in the episode. It seems to me that he is looking for our Hiro for some reason, but that Espimon is just face blind or something and didn't recognize Hiro because he wasn't in his usual outfit this episode. It wouldn't surprise me if he actually was sent by Hiro's dad and has the upgraded digivices on hand, and will finally recognize him at some pivotal moment when the cast need them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Savers 44: Is Craniamon supposed to be a lot stronger than Dukemon/LordKnightmon/Duftmon?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Some Numbers posted:

Savers 44: Is Craniamon supposed to be a lot stronger than Dukemon/LordKnightmon/Duftmon?

Tougher, not stronger. Craniamon has often been portrayed as a defensive powerhouse

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some Numbers posted:

I think they were just giving him a stronger showing than the others because he was one of the newest Royal Knights at the time

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

Tougher, not stronger. Craniamon has often been portrayed as a defensive powerhouse

Seconding this. Dukemon in Savers was monstrously strong, he almost immediately wiped the crew when they attacked him and shrugged off a point blank Glorious Burst even without his shield. They simply couldn't make any headway at all against him and it took a kamikaze attack from someone he didn't want to fight to take him out. Craniumon meanwhile spent that episode mostly no-selling things and taking a ridiculous number of hits to his shield before it finally gave. By contrast Dukemon never even got close to receiving that many attacks given how soundly he put the heroes down. Looking at the two I would say that Dukemon was the one put over more.

drrockso20 posted:

I think they were just giving him a stronger showing than the others because he was one of the newest Royal Knights at the time

Duftmon was even newer than him and he was a glorified Monster of the Week for a budget saving episode. On the other hand, I do tend to think that Duftmon is perhaps the least loved of the Royal Knights so perhaps they merely started as they meant to go on.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

Seconding this. Dukemon in Savers was monstrously strong, he almost immediately wiped the crew when they attacked him and shrugged off a point blank Glorious Burst even without his shield. They simply couldn't make any headway at all against him and it took a kamikaze attack from someone he didn't want to fight to take him out. Craniumon meanwhile spent that episode mostly no-selling things and taking a ridiculous number of hits to his shield before it finally gave. By contrast Dukemon never even got close to receiving that many attacks given how soundly he put the heroes down. Looking at the two I would say that Dukemon was the one put over more.

That's a fair point.

I finished the show and...that certainly was an ending. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It took two Burst Modes to defeat Duftmon. In what universe did he get taken down easily?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

My local place is gonna start doing Digimon tournaments. What precons are the best?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

wuggles posted:

My local place is gonna start doing Digimon tournaments. What precons are the best?

Imperial is the starter that's most playable with the fewest additional cards. You will need two copies. You could also look at the Mastemon starter deck, but that requires a few really expensive singles.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

wuggles posted:

Out of the box? Probably Imperialdramon.

Nodosaur posted:

It took two Burst Modes to defeat Duftmon. In what universe did he get taken down easily?

I didn't say he was taken down easily, I said he was a glorified Monster of the Week in a lower budget episode. For the purposes of the show he was functionally identical to Metal Phantomon or Mammon (or RhodoKnightmon really), he showed up around minute 13 to start attacking randomly, had a one-dimensional personality, and died in the same episode he appeared in. Compare how he was pushed in that episode to Dukemon (who absolutely massacred the heroes) or Craniumon (who had an entire episode showing off how hard his shield was).

And I do maintain Duftmon is unloved, there wasn't a big lead up to his reveal like JESmon or Examon, he isn't the partner of a main character like Omegamon or Dukemon, he isn't a notorious recurring villain like RhodoKnightmon, he isn't consistently a big deal like Alphamon, his card is probably the weakest of the 13 in the current TCG, and in his most recent marquee appearance in Cyber Sleuth despite being the leader of the opposing Knights he isn't even the boss of the chapter you confront him. The episode of Savers he showed up in made him look fast and powerful, but he is also probably the most forgettable of the Royal Knights who got a turn at the bat in that series.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Imperialdramon is easily the strongest of the precon decks and it's easy to upgrade for the most part. Getting EX1 Ex-Veemon, BT8 Veemons, and BT8 Davis and Ken will get you online easily and they're all cheap. Ex-Veemon is an insane power spike for very miniscule money.

If you're willing to go a bit harder BT3 Davis and BT8 Fighter Mode are huge for the deck but they're more expensive especially Davis who is like 20 bucks

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

RhodoKnightmon
You can call him LordKnightmon, it's okay.

RevolverDivider posted:

Imperialdramon is easily the strongest of the precon decks and it's easy to upgrade for the most part. Getting EX1 Ex-Veemon, BT8 Veemons, and BT8 Davis and Ken will get you online easily and they're all cheap. Ex-Veemon is an insane power spike for very miniscule money.

If you're willing to go a bit harder BT3 Davis and BT8 Fighter Mode are huge for the deck but they're more expensive especially Davis who is like 20 bucks

Fighter Mode is pretty cheap.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RevolverDivider posted:

A lot of people also play upwards of a playset of BT3 Veemon. I've also seen EX1 Veemon teched in.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't expect a crossover with The Elusive Samurai in this week's Digimon Ghost Game but here we are. Tokiyuki sure became far more of a dick after his death though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Fighter Mode is easy to get now. You don’t need BT3 Veemon at all for Imperial he’s far more useful in armors. EX1 Veemon is pretty good but EX2 Labramon is arguably a lot more reliable outside of not being able to digivolve to Raidramon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
cannot see duftmon's name without immediately thinking of duffman

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks for all the answers! I was able to find Mastemon and Imperialdramon at Wal-Mart when I went today for groceries. I also forgot that I bought UlforceVeemon last year just to look at the cards.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

wuggles posted:

Thanks for all the answers! I was able to find Mastemon and Imperialdramon at Wal-Mart when I went today for groceries. I also forgot that I bought UlforceVeemon last year just to look at the cards.

The memory boosts that come with the UlforceVeedramon and Gallantmon starters are really good.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

King of Solomon posted:

The memory boosts that come with the UlforceVeedramon and Gallantmon starters are really good.

Cool, I'll slot one of those in.

I almost got Gallantmon and a second Mastemon deck but I couldn't justify blowing $60 on cards lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's a few very useful staples like the Memory Boosts, Hammer Spark, Gaia Force, and some good utility stuff in the Ulforce and Gallantmon decks. Hammer Sparks and the Veemons can go right into your Imperial deck