Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Also everyone in the books are much younger

there's this one scene in the books where Caitlyn was with an army marching to war and she notes how everyone around her were just kids, i.e maybe 15-16. In the books Robb became king at 15. The closest comparison I can think of is Edward IV of England but even he was 18 when he claimed the throne.

From a pseudo-historical perspective the Targaryen period of Westeros history was suprisingly stable and calm. There were maybe 3-4 big civil wars in the span of ~300 years of Targaryen rule and you had 2-3 rounds of civil wars in the -15- years or so since Aerys died. Hence why you had so many kids fighting. IIRC even in actual historical midieval wars the average age of knights etc wasn't as young as 15-16.

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DaysBefore posted:

Always seemed insane that Roose never had any suspicions. Like sure everyone thinks Arya is locked up but a Northern girl with a noble accent and gray eyes? You'd think he'd ask at least one question

I don't think Roose ever realized Arya was a northern girl, he just thought she was some riverlander

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Pennsylvanian posted:

...he was sure he could write two 2k-page epics on emulated Wordstar with one finger in his 60s-70s which is psychotic.

lol i had to look this up to see if you were bullshitting, but sure enough, he one finger types

i two finger type so i can kind of respect that, but drat, that's a crazy way to write

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Despite the show and the books ostensibly being medieval fantasy they're really more on the cusp of the early modern age where there was a transition towards professional armies with industry produced munitions armour like the richest Italian City States could afford. Calling the banners to what is essentially the last war with a mass levy, helped along by the large population growth from several decades without major conflict on Westeros. Essos already makes extensive use of mercenary armies while the Seven Kingdoms are slowly transitioning out of feudal systems and into modern ones.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even then it's a little off. As early as the first stage of the Hundred Years War (1330ish) English longbowmen were semi-professional soldiers working on contract for the earls I believe. It only got more and more formal as you get to the Wars of the Roses that inspired Ice and Fire.

The whole idea of calling up every farmer and fisherman and barrel maker and throwing them into battle with sharpened sticks was barely a thing in the Middle Ages. The Anglo-Saxon armies were made up of professional household warriors and militias formed from land-owning peasants (at least after Alfred of Wessex's reforms anyway). Armies during a Crusade could get pretty ragtag I guess but even then most of the actual fighting soldiers were organised and paid (in one way or another) by the kings and dukes and counts that went off to Jerusalem i.e. Richard the Lionheart's extremely extensive preparations for his campaign

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
GRRM isn't a historian of any sort and knows as much about how actual medieval societies worked as he does about how tall 700 feet is.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, there's plenty of remarks you can make, with whoever mentioned the economy not making sense making a really good point. And at the end, I view Westeros as a Patriarchal feudal society taken to an unrealistic extreme for the sake of commentary, sort of like wild sci-fi universes that do the same.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 15, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I have no problem with exaggerating historical practices or even making up pure fiction for the purpose of making commentary or imparting a message or simply telling a good story. I do it myself in my own amateur writing. But the problem is that Martin denies that he is doing it. He and his defenders retreat behind claims of historicity in order to defend his writing from criticism and to make the argument he isn't making commentary and poo poo. Like he's doing the exact opposite of what he should be doing.

"It wasn't like this, but I'm making it like this because I'm trying to say something." is fine. "It was like this and I'm not actually saying anything because this is simply how history was." is insane and also factually wrong.

Also you know, the Dothraki being - as ACOUP masterfully points out - outrageously racist.

Like Martin and his defenders want it both ways. It's historically accurate when it would be helpful for it to be so, and it's fictional fantastic storytelling when it would be beneficial for it to be so.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Typo posted:

I would like it if that's how the Faegon blackfyre storyline resolves

as in it will never be revealed/confirmed whether he's real or a fake, just different characters arguing and fighting over it

I think MacBeth is the gold standard for handling prophecies, it's unclear what the exact nature of the witches were, but it also does not matter if they are truly magical or not. Since the achitect of Macbeth's downfall was Macbeth fullfilling the prophecy in trying to avoid it. So the important thing was never the prophecy per say, but rather the character of Macbeth.

The obvious parallel to this in asoiaf are Cersei and Magy the Frog's prophecy. Which is probably why the Cersei chapters in AFFC are very fun reads.

Tale as old as time, prophecy should always be self-fulfilling and a curse no matter if you try to avoid or fulfill it. Especially if you go truly classic and lean on the myth of Cassandra, prophetess who was always correct, but never believed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Typo posted:

no the books instead of Bronn it was ser Ilyn Payne, the Dornish storyline played out completely differently and Jaime never goes to Dorne

the whole reason why Jaime kept payne around was so he had someone to train with who was mute and illiterate so he couldn't go around telling everyone that Jaime can't fight anymore

substituting in Bronn made no sense

I mean, Wilko Johnson, Ilyn Payne's actor, was battling and then recovering from pancreatic cancer at the time, so they were basically forced by circumstance to just disappear Payne from the show. I get why they chose Bronn though. He was the only character that wasn't attached to any other storyline at that moment that could realistically still be working for the Lannisters AND be able to teach Jaime how to fight left handed. That and the producers and audiences loved the poo poo out of Jerome Flynn, and by that point David and Dan were so high on the nepotism juice they were just bending the show to get more mileage out of actors they'd become enamored with like Indira Varma and such.

Jaime and Bronn's Excellent Adventure was still dumb and pointless as poo poo though. AND lovely to the actors involved and not involved in it too, such as Aimee Richardson, who'd apparently taken a lot of acting classes and had been preparing like mad for the Dorne arc because she knew Myrcella was a big part of it, and then they just recast the roll and told her to pound sand.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 15, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DaysBefore posted:

Even then it's a little off. As early as the first stage of the Hundred Years War (1330ish) English longbowmen were semi-professional soldiers working on contract for the earls I believe. It only got more and more formal as you get to the Wars of the Roses that inspired Ice and Fire.

The whole idea of calling up every farmer and fisherman and barrel maker and throwing them into battle with sharpened sticks was barely a thing in the Middle Ages. The Anglo-Saxon armies were made up of professional household warriors and militias formed from land-owning peasants (at least after Alfred of Wessex's reforms anyway). Armies during a Crusade could get pretty ragtag I guess but even then most of the actual fighting soldiers were organised and paid (in one way or another) by the kings and dukes and counts that went off to Jerusalem i.e. Richard the Lionheart's extremely extensive preparations for his campaign

calling up every farmer/barrel maker or whatever and throwing them into battles was always dumb af if you think about it

the avg adult peasants were not good at fighting but did provide a source of income for the nobility whose land they farmed, the income they generate could then be used to train/equip professional/semi-professional soldiers who were actually effective.

If you threw your peasants into wars they were just all gonna get killed and then you would have no income to hire real soldiers. That's why in actual history it was basically never done.

Typo fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 15, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Kylaer posted:

GRRM isn't a historian of any sort and knows as much about how actual medieval societies worked as he does about how tall 700 feet is.

He's read pretty extensively on the Hundreds year war and the Albegensian crusades as background reading for the series so I think he -has- to have read the basic stuff about how medieval armies were recruited at some point

I think yeah, he's just taking artistic license and playing into popular tropes because well, they are popular

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Typo posted:

If you threw your peasants into wars they were just all gonna get killed and then you would have no income to hire real soldiers. That's why in actual history it was basically never done.

Yep, and if there wasn't already a famine going on that sparked the war, you're about to have one because you've just sent all the people who are responsible for harvesting the crops off to get boiling pitch poured on them in front of a wall somewhere.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Begging people not to speak authoritatively on a subject if their source base maxes out at "community college TA's Lord Of The Rings blog".

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

'Cording to his bio GRRM minored in history in college which might not be much but is still more than most posting on this thread

(Especially since he's always shown ardent interest in minors).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I did liked Bronn sparring with Jaime. Of course the Dorne trip was awful, but before that it was kinda good

And was not a bad change either, imo. Ilyn Payne is a boring character even in the books and they needed something to keep Bronn on the screen, and they actually had good scenes together

And it was kinda dumb to begin with that Jaime thought people would not know we couldnt fight considering everyone knew he lost his loving right hand

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 15, 2022

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I know nothing about history or in fact about anything at all but isn't part of the deal with westeros that the population is actually pretty massive compared to real European medieval societies? Which I guess kinda makes sense given that it's a society that has been in a technological stasis for 8,000 years (give or take a few millennia).

Like I know that certain civilizations here in our real world did produce massive armies at times but didn't the Roman empire at its peak only have something like 200,000 soldiers? In the books you have noble houses capable of fielding armies of tens of thousands in a single battle.

Ultimately I don't think historical accuracy is really that important or for that purpose that bad, it's an epic tale the hosed up scales are part of what makes it epic, and to give GRRM the further benefit of the doubt it's not like the numbers that show up are presented as objective scientific numbers, the books themselves present things with a modicum of uncertainty, like these are medieval era people who also make some baseless speculation and treat hearsay as historical facts. It's fine.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The author doesn’t have to calculate the agricultural surplus of their fantasy land to project the ability to maintain professional armies or maintain a list of precise travel itineraries across their fabled unvented empire. Nobody in their right mind cares about those things, unless they want to argue on the internet. The author should merely write words that are good to read and bring joy to my heart. Alas…

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Podrick is like 11 in the books, that garbage scene is pure show nonsense.

Absolutely everyone in the books is creepy young and I’m convinced that it’s not only that GRRM is a creep (that’s part of it) but that he’s dumb and thought that the average lifespan of humans living in Medieval times meant you died of Old in your 40s because he didn’t know that the super high child mortality rate skews the average.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, and if there wasn't already a famine going on that sparked the war, you're about to have one because you've just sent all the people who are responsible for harvesting the crops off to get boiling pitch poured on them in front of a wall somewhere.

If I recall correctly someone does mention this in a chapter in AFFC or ADWD, because for once it crosses someone's mind that the War of Five Kings War for Cersei's C--t Westeros Civil War has basically chewed through the smallfolk and destroyed a shitload of crops just before winter comes and that is probably bad.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Absolutely everyone in the books is creepy young and I’m convinced that it’s not only that GRRM is a creep (that’s part of it) but that he’s dumb and thought that the average lifespan of humans living in Medieval times meant you died of Old in your 40s because he didn’t know that the super high child mortality rate skews the average.

Maybe but this is not the case here necessarily, Podrick is a squire and a scion of an impoverished branch of a noble house, he was basically pawned to the Lannisters due to his distant relationship with Ilyn, Tywin assigns him to Tyrion as an insult to both of them, he is young for a squire but not excessively.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The author doesn’t have to calculate the agricultural surplus of their fantasy land to project the ability to maintain professional armies or maintain a list of precise travel itineraries across their fabled unvented empire. Nobody in their right mind cares about those things, unless they want to argue on the internet. The author should merely write words that are good to read and bring joy to my heart. Alas…

But that's exactly the criticism GRRM has made about other fantasy works, that their worldbuilding is unrealistic and a good king would have to show what policies make him good, rather than just showing up with the right lineage.

So in that light it's a valid criticism to say that GRRMs world also doesn't really make sense as medieval politics, economics or warfare. I mean, that's something nerds like to argue about in any case, but GRRM painted that target on himself.

But yeah, his biggest sin is not finishing the story, if he did it might well be good despite the unrealistic elements.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Typo posted:

Jaime never goes to Dorne

That's when the tires fell off for me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I know nothing about history or in fact about anything at all but isn't part of the deal with westeros that the population is actually pretty massive compared to real European medieval societies? Which I guess kinda makes sense given that it's a society that has been in a technological stasis for 8,000 years (give or take a few millennia).

I wish I knew more about Chinese ancient history. Afaik their armies dwarfed European medieval ones.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

At it's absolute peak the Roman Empire had about 200,000 men in the legions and the same number of auxiliaries (i.e. Romanised Celts and Gauls etc. who fought alongside the legion but weren't organised like it). But that was spread over much of Europe and North Africa

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The one big stink I see a bunch of historians make about GoT is how often defensive armies are placed in front of the walls they are supposed to protect, where they all inevitably die because whoops they aren’t protected by a wall.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Max posted:

The one big stink I see a bunch of historians make about GoT is how often defensive armies are placed in front of the walls they are supposed to protect, where they all inevitably die because whoops they aren’t protected by a wall.

That's really a show thing, the books have Theon and about twenty iron islanders hold off hundreds of northmen simply by staying inside the walls of winterfell.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Was there a single big battle GoT that wanst stupid and completely unrealistic?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

pidan posted:

But that's exactly the criticism GRRM has made about other fantasy works, that their worldbuilding is unrealistic and a good king would have to show what policies make him good, rather than just showing up with the right lineage.

So in that light it's a valid criticism to say that GRRMs world also doesn't really make sense as medieval politics, economics or warfare. I mean, that's something nerds like to argue about in any case, but GRRM painted that target on himself.

But yeah, his biggest sin is not finishing the story, if he did it might well be good despite the unrealistic elements.

Right, I won't complain about unrealism in the works of someone who makes no claim to being realistic, but GRRM in particular claimed that his are, and they aren't.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Like I know that certain civilizations here in our real world did produce massive armies at times but didn't the Roman empire at its peak only have something like 200,000 soldiers? In the books you have noble houses capable of fielding armies of tens of thousands in a single battle.

the army sizes in asoiaf might actually be smaller than expected for a late medieval society for a continent the size of westeros

England by the War of the Roses for example was fielding massive armies, at battle of Towten the Lancaster/Yorkist factions combined to field armies combined numbering ~50k men for a single battle. So each faction's army was on par with what the Starks/Tullies/Lannisters fielded in the books, which were around ~20k each. Granted England had being in a state of near total war for decades up to that point in fighting Hundreds Year war so the troops numbers were astonishingly high (it's estimated 1-2% of ENTIRE population of England fought at that single battle)

In the books someone estimated that Westeros isn't the size of England it's more like the size of South America, and we know the southern half of the kingdom are densely populated. So the total population controlled by some of the individual houses is probably way higher than the 2~2.5 million people England had in the 1450s. So you might expect their armies to be correspondingly higher.

Typo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 15, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Elias_Maluco posted:

I did liked Bronn sparring with Jaime. Of course the Dorne trip was awful, but before that it was kinda good

And was not a bad change either, imo. Ilyn Payne is a boring character even in the books and they needed something to keep Bronn on the screen, and they actually had good scenes together

And it was kinda dumb to begin with that Jaime thought people would not know we couldnt fight considering everyone knew he lost his loving right hand

The best thing about Ser Ilyn in the books was when Jaime was just rambling bullshit at him at one point and Ser Ilyn just gave him a look that said "you are loving dumbass" and Jaime just went "you talk too much"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Ilyn and Jaime scenes are real good. The books are actually pretty good imo, even the bad ones are good, it's the unwritten books that suck.

Jaime's riverlands adventure is good and fun and Jaime is so fun to follow around.

gently caress I hate being a GRRM fanboy, what a lovely author to like.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's been years, but I remember people mostly being age-appropriate dumb asses in the first book. GRRRRRM used to talk about the time skip or whatever and supposedly that broke the age continuum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Elias_Maluco posted:

Was there a single big battle GoT that wanst stupid and completely unrealistic?

Battle of the Bastards was stupid but it wasn't unrealistic. It showed exactly what happens when a disorganized mob runs headfirst at a shield wall and gets encircled.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

But then a million Vale knights fast-traveled unnoticed and turned the tide...

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
battle of the bastards was a pretty key moment in D&D trying to Marvelize the series

big spectacles, not character development and drama became what drives the show in its later seasons, the success of BoB in impressing the audience of later seasons was key in convincing them it could work

S8 was just the logical conclusion of that, lots of special effects, barely any dialogue between characters

Typo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 15, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Battle of the Bastards was stupid but it wasn't unrealistic. It showed exactly what happens when a disorganized mob runs headfirst at a shield wall and gets encircled.

What about the part where you shoot your own knights in the back when you have supposedly the advantage there?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I appreciate the part where Stannis starts to lay siege but is beaten by the opponent abandoning their wall and meeting him in the field.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Arc Hammer posted:

Was that the one with the wall of corpses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Again I’d like to point out that only nerds like us weren’t lavishing the show with praise in Season 6 and 7. The Door, Battle of the Bastards and the finale when Cersei blows up the Sept were mainstream cultural phenomenons. And they were all stupid as poo poo.

Of course D&D got increasingly smug and enraptured by their own genius. Because literally everyone loved it especially the professional critics.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 15, 2022