Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Miriam justifying civilian deaths was way more unhinged than anything Angela said lmao

It was such a brilliant move to go from one extreme zelot to another, and yeah her talking about how the Palestinians manipulate the media to make Israel come off badly is way worst than some girl liking a Mel Gibson movie. Apocalypto does rock as a movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah Apocalypto is fuckin great, but you always gotta have that caveat that Mel Gibson is still a piece of poo poo and how you're conflicted about it because of that. I'd look askance at anyone who said it was their favorite movie, but then following it up with blanket praise for Gibson and rolling your eyes when someone points out the lovely things he's said and done pushes that all the way into shithead territory.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Your mommy's decided to leave the family, okay?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

http://twitter.com/AntifaDiPalma/status/1558324221373304832

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I always assumed with Angela that we were just one moment away from a George Soros rant anyway. Particularly when she was around Robin. Her Bohemian Grove namecheck was an old Alex Jones rumour and her obsession with satanic influence is straight out of Facebook conspiracy groups.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's tricky. On the one hand there are a lot of red flags to the really out there conspiracy stuff, but a shocking amount of that stuff does filter through to the mainstream. I've had at least 2 completely otherwise normal people swear that it's just a known fact that lots of Satanists adopt black cats around Halloween to sacrifice them.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I watched the most recent episode yesterday and after being woken up by a loud thunder storm in the middle of the night I got to thinking about why I'm finding the most recent episodes funny but not really that interesting.

I think basically The Rehearsal is two shows jammed into one. The Kor and Patrick rehearsals are a deeper, more profound NFY. The rest of the episodes are a more heavily scripted drama about "Nathan's" search for meaning.

I find the former to be incredibly entertaining and interesting because it presents us with a giddy sense of true unpredictability. After watching the first episode, I could never have guessed that they would have proceeded to some guy who has to convince his brother that his (apparently incredibly racist) girlfriend isn't a gold digger, and then have him actually search in the woods for gold with someone's fake grandpa.

I find the latter to be entertaining, but a lot less interesting, because it's been predictably unpredictable. Once the premise of the family rehearsal was explained, I and many others in this thread basically anticipated what kind of narrative turns the story would take, with an Inception-style dive into rehearsals-for-rehearsals, having an actor replace Nathan in some scenarios, etc. There were individual parts, like Nathan living in that one actor's apartment in LA, that were really funny, but the show lost that spark for me once it transitioned to focusing on Angela and the child actors, with the thrill of setting up new wacky scenarios receding into the background. None of the more recent episodes rival the pure concentrated craziness of first meeting Angela and Robbin in episode 2, either; you kind of get diminishing returns from continuing to hear Angela talk about satanic rituals or whatever.

I'm reserving final judgment until I see the final episode, and I hope they pull some truly crazy finale off that changes my opinion the whole family storyline, but I have to say that at the moment I really wish they had compressed the Angela stuff into two episodes and included another actual rehearsal.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also Angela is 100% pastel Q and I can guarantee that she could tell you in detail about Wayfair's sex trafficking ring.

beeman
May 7, 2008

this show is good

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

why I'm finding the most recent episodes funny but not really that interesting.

I think basically The Rehearsal is two shows jammed into one. The Kor and Patrick rehearsals are a deeper, more profound NFY. The rest of the episodes are a more heavily scripted drama about "Nathan's" search for meaning.

I find the former to be incredibly entertaining and interesting because it presents us with a giddy sense of true unpredictability.

Yeah, I largely agree with this. Dedicating the meat of the show's episodes to the family rehearsal also seems to have made it necessary to center "Nathan" to impose more of a cohesive narrative framework on the whole thing. And sometimes the execution feels a little lacking and it feels hard to maintain the suspension of disbelief:

E.g.

PerilPastry posted:

I wasn't really a fan of the scene with the second actress playing Angela though. The reveal was absolutely hilarious but that whole scene was so clearly scripted from top to bottom - Nathan's reaction included - that it really took me out of the illusion of us seeing Nathan earnestly grappling with his solipsism and desperately pursuing some kind of authentic human connection.

It's still hands down the funniest show I've seen in years.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
that was the last episode? gently caress

I want to see him go back to lower stakes cases like a private dick for people who overthink poo poo

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

there's one more episode

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

that was the last episode? gently caress

No there’s gonna be one more.

quote:

I want to see him go back to lower stakes cases like a private dick for people who overthink poo poo

That’s why I really was hoping for at least one more actual rehearsal. The crazy situational comedy of NFY combined with the emotional depth of this show is really satisfying, and it’s a shame we didn’t get more of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ah good. I hope he gets another season at least.

Nathan: "With the WB/HBO merger with Discovery+, new scripted content is now in shambles. I have heard that the ceo of Discovery David Zaslav is more into reality shows. I've brought a crew in to convince him otherwise, no rehearsals"

David Zaslav: "What are you doing with those cameras in my office?"

I would drink here

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mrmcd posted:

But that's all, like, inside the simulation. The child isn't real, the relationship isn't real, and she (ideally) wouldn't end up in a situation where she is raising a child with a Jewish guy in real life anyway. Is it fair to judge her for failing a simulated scenario that seems so unlikely? Maybe not, but, I still don't like her.

This is basically why I don't take issue with Angela's argument with Miriam -- in a real relationship, that would be a dealbreaker for her. She's entitled to be a devout Christian and she's entitled to want her kids to be raised as Christians, and in real life she would never have had children with someone who wasn't also Christian. At least from what was shown, she didn't say anything truly antisemitic other than I guess a distaste for the idea of not believing in Jesus.

MeinPanzer posted:

Also Angela is 100% pastel Q and I can guarantee that she could tell you in detail about Wayfair's sex trafficking ring.

Yeah, I've been saying all along that they're walking a very fine line with Angela. In the year 2022, I just can't imagine this woman getting invested in all these satanic conspiracy theories but somehow not ALSO getting invested in all the bigoted Christo-fascism spread by the very websites that tell you about the satanic conspiracies. I think Nathan accepted a lot of it at face value because if he pushed back too hard, then the show ends up being another one of those Daily Show "ask simple questions of Trump rallygoers and laugh at their answers" videos. I'm not surprised that she was okay with her portrayal because he mostly steered clear of directly challenging her.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

For some reason I get the feeling that something really bad happened to Angela in the past, something worse than crashing a Scion Tc at 100mph.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

For some reason I get the feeling that something really bad happened to Angela in the past, something worse than crashing a Scion Tc at 100mph.

Her referencing her drug-filled past definitely implies something like this. It's one of the most sympathetic reasons for someone to become "born again", when that has clearly been a replacement for something much more self-destructive

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I genuinely believe the "friend" Joshua was talking about was mostly based on Angela, including him literally quoting her when talking about drinking.

Phenotype posted:

At least from what was shown, she didn't say anything truly antisemitic other than I guess a distaste for the idea of not believing in Jesus.

Yeah, from what was shown doing a lot of heavy lifting there. I'm not saying they cut around her going on antisemitic rants but I think it's pretty easy to extrapolate and figure out what Angela's really like. If someone is blanket praising Mel Gibson and roll their eyes when you go "yeah but like he's said some pretty awful stuff" you can be fairly sure she also believes all that awful stuff.

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I've been saying all along that they're walking a very fine line with Angela. In the year 2022, I just can't imagine this woman getting invested in all these satanic conspiracy theories but somehow not ALSO getting invested in all the bigoted Christo-fascism spread by the very websites that tell you about the satanic conspiracies. I think Nathan accepted a lot of it at face value because if he pushed back too hard, then the show ends up being another one of those Daily Show "ask simple questions of Trump rallygoers and laugh at their answers" videos. I'm not surprised that she was okay with her portrayal because he mostly steered clear of directly challenging her.

Yeah, she didn't present the Christo-fascist poo poo she almost certainly believes in for the cameras.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I will say Angela was totally right about one thing, in that Nathan had hijacked the rehearsal to be about him and his personal hang-ups. It's the clear series long meta-narrative they've been building to. It's also the same "Nathan" character from NFY: He thinks he's a nice guy, with smart ideas, just trying to use his innovative thinking to help others. In reality though, he's an awkward rear end in a top hat that lacks self awareness, and the comedy comes from setting up situations that play off that disconnect.

The difference though is that the audience is in on the joke, aware of Nathan as a constructed fictional character, where as Angela (and apparently most tv critics) are not.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also in the season finale of NFY, he literally hires an actress and rents a community theater set so Bill can "rehearse" his reunion with Frances, running through different scenarios and trying to get Bill to see there might be reactions outside the rose colored fantasy of his imagination. I think The Rehearsal can very much be thought of as sequel to NFY, taking the Nathan character and writing his discent into deeper and deeper levels of absurdity and megalomania, enabled by a HBO budget.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The inclusion of Miriam was a brilliant inclusion from Fielder that is aimed at a vanishingly small population of Jews who are at best ambivalent about Israel or outright anti-Zionist. I mean, obviously everyone in the audience can get it, but for those of us that are navigating being Jewish with the reality of Israel, Miriam is both a relatively common experience (I get lectured all the time from my family on all the normal Israeli hasbarah) and a great rug pull in terms of "oh gently caress yeah, you tell em Miriam! oh....oh no. I should have known " moment

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
The Zionist shpiel and Nathan's discomfort with it is extra funny considering that Nathan and Seth Rogen went to high school and started out in comedy together and Seth got into a little bit of trouble over pretty mildly anti-Zionist comments a couple of years back.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

The inclusion of Miriam was a brilliant inclusion from Fielder that is aimed at a vanishingly small population of Jews who are at best ambivalent about Israel or outright anti-Zionist. I mean, obviously everyone in the audience can get it, but for those of us that are navigating being Jewish with the reality of Israel, Miriam is both a relatively common experience (I get lectured all the time from my family on all the normal Israeli hasbarah) and a great rug pull in terms of "oh gently caress yeah, you tell em Miriam! oh....oh no. I should have known " moment

I don't think that population is vanishing at all when you consider the younger generation. I know way more anti-Zionist Jews than Zionists of any stripe.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

The Zionist shpiel and Nathan's discomfort with it is extra funny considering that Nathan and Seth Rogen went to high school and started out in comedy together and Seth got into a little bit of trouble over pretty mildly anti-Zionist comments a couple of years back.

The founder of Summit Ice has a little more wiggle room to work with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mrmcd posted:

Also in the season finale of NFY, he literally hires an actress and rents a community theater set so Bill can "rehearse" his reunion with Frances, running through different scenarios and trying to get Bill to see there might be reactions outside the rose colored fantasy of his imagination. I think The Rehearsal can very much be thought of as sequel to NFY, taking the Nathan character and writing his discent into deeper and deeper levels of absurdity and megalomania, enabled by a HBO budget.

I believe one of the interviews talks about how Rehearsal was born from them using a similar method when making NFY episodes, so they could essentially plan for whatever responses the mark would give and know how to guide it in the right direction from there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

stromboni posted:

Her referencing her drug-filled past definitely implies something like this. It's one of the most sympathetic reasons for someone to become "born again", when that has clearly been a replacement for something much more self-destructive

I don't know, it's pretty common for born again types to heavily exaggerate how bad their past was to make the power of Jesus seem extremely impressive in comparison.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I've had at least 2 completely otherwise normal people swear that it's just a known fact that lots of Satanists adopt black cats around Halloween to sacrifice them.

many animal shelters won’t let anyone adopt black cats right before halloween, but it’s because people use them as props for their witch costumes or whatever they need them for and abandon them afterwards

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Charles Ingalls posted:

many animal shelters won’t let anyone adopt black cats right before halloween, but it’s because people use them as props for their witch costumes or whatever they need them for and abandon them afterwards

That’s just what Google, who is controlled by Satan and denies the Coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is peddling. Don’t you know anything??

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Angela posted a video with her reaction to episode 5, apparently the Nathan Facebook group has the full thing but it's a private group.

Twitter link to the video

Also my mom is Colombian and my dad is Jewish, they should've picked me to play Adam.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think that population is vanishing at all when you consider the younger generation. I know way more anti-Zionist Jews than Zionists of any stripe.

I think he meant "vanishingly small" just because it's a very small number -- there aren't a lot of Jews in the first place, and half of them are the older generation that typically listens to a speech like Miriam's while nodding along and smiling. That bit would be completely lost on my mom, for instance.

Honestly, I thought Angela came out looking pretty good compared to Miriam. I just did a rewatch while I'm working, and she really doesn't say anything very offensive during that conversation. She's clear that Jesus is the most important thing in her life and she won't teach her child Jesus isn't the Messiah, and that was pretty much it, no real value judgements other than obviously she thinks it's wrong not to believe in Jesus. And then Miriam immediately throws her hands in the air and starts calling her an antisemite. I think it was too fast for them to have spliced anything together there; it felt like Miriam, who seemed so confident on the way over, just abruptly gave up. Couple that with her "well they told the Palestinians they would be bombing them" rant right after, and I've never seen my opinion of anyone collapse so hard so quickly.

Again, I'm not a fan of Angela's -- there may have been more bigoted stuff that came out of her mouth in the cuts we didn't see, but she came out of this show smelling like roses compared to what they could have done. I don't think it would have taken much prodding to have turned this show into the story of Crazy Angela, the horrible racist conspiracy nut who should never be allowed to have a child.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Kor is going to be the only somewhat likable person to come out of this show

But then again, he lied without any concern to those strangers who were sitting in his table

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Again, I'm not a fan of Angela's -- there may have been more bigoted stuff that came out of her mouth in the cuts we didn't see, but she came out of this show smelling like roses compared to what they could have done. I don't think it would have taken much prodding to have turned this show into the story of Crazy Angela, the horrible racist conspiracy nut who should never be allowed to have a child.

It's pretty wild to see the speculation that Angela is actually a horrible q anon person based on almost nothing. I don't think they'd leave the kids with her if that was the case, they obviously ran Robin off before he would be around a non-robot child.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Plenty of perfectly capable parents are also lunatic QAnon people. Doesn't mean she was gonna do anything harmful. Robbin was actively dangerous to people around him.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

It's pretty wild to see the speculation that Angela is actually a horrible q anon person based on almost nothing. I don't think they'd leave the kids with her if that was the case, they obviously ran Robin off before he would be around a non-robot child.

She’s an evangelical Christian who seriously believes in pervasive satanic cabals and who obviously spends a lot of time on the internet. The chance of her not being into QAnon is infinitesimal.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah believing some wild poo poo doesn't mean somebody isn't fit to parent/shouldn't be allowed around children. there's a huge gap between that and somebody like Robin

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If you think that cannibalistic democrats are trading sex slave children at pizza restaurants, then no, you probably shouldn't be raising children. I wouldn't let my kid spend 4 hours with Angela with just her stated onscreen beliefs even.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 15, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Mandrel posted:

yeah believing some wild poo poo doesn't mean somebody isn't fit to parent/shouldn't be allowed around children. there's a huge gap between that and somebody like Robin

Honestly, I think she probably isn't fit to parent, when it comes right down to it. She's fine in a controlled setting like this, though, she's not about to implement some weird biblical punishment on someone else's kid, or spend 18 years giving them horrible emotional issues.

MeinPanzer posted:

She’s an evangelical Christian who seriously believes in pervasive satanic cabals and who obviously spends a lot of time on the internet. The chance of her not being into QAnon is infinitesimal.

Yeah, like, they're literally the same websites haha, I'm having a hard time picturing a modern-day website that talks about the devil running Google that wouldn't ALSO be talking about how the Jews run the media and the LGBTQ+ are grooming your kids and whatever else. I can't really picture Angela reading about how the devil runs Google and really getting into it, but then later on down the same page where it says the Jews are using the vaccine to feminize America's military and she's like "no, that's too far, the Jews are good people like anyone else."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I want you to consider that Angela met Robbin, liked him a lot. Heard him ramble incoherently, still decided he was the one for her. Now, do you trust Angela's judgment in raising a child?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This show is freakin amazing dude lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Now, do you trust Angela's judgment in raising a child?

no of course not but that's probably also a staggering majority percentage of the population if you got to know about them.

if only qualified sensible rational parents were able to procreate, the would population would still be under a billion. seems unlikely we'd want angela's parents having kids if they had done a rehearsal 40 years ago