Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like newt and demon but it's definitely pretty paper thin. I guess the only reason I like it is the paper thin stereotypical setting and stuff is applied to something other than a noodle arm teenager or depressed 20s adult unlocking the ultimate power of practicing and work ethic. I feel like the totally not marriage only exists so the author isn't hounded with elf girlfriend requests or something. It comes off... Weird. Like just don't write a relationship if you don't want to, don't write whatever this is, it's weird and they could have just been friends without the... Whatever this is part. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I got the impression it was an asexuality thing tbh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

I got the impression it was an asexuality thing tbh

it reminded me of those weird stories where romance just doesn't exist, nobody ever talks about it etc that come off like someone who'd never seen one before was trying to write a children's story. i can't think of a good example because they're usually pretty boring for other reasons but you probably know what I mean. i like romance in my books probably more than anything else but it's not gonna offend me if the protagonist doesn't have a relationship like that. it's only this weird like, anti-romance stuff that bugs me. it seems off. i can't really explain the feeling.

i also have a hard time believing a literal CIA death squad guy is an asexual, although aromantic would make sense. but it also doesn't since he isn't otherwise a sociopath despite that basically being a job requirement

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
The writer explained in the comments that the Magic Friendship Class Core is because he doesn't want to write about harems or romance and he knows how RoyalRoad is. Thresk can go adventuring and do dungeons. Theo does alchemy and city planning. By chapter 25 barely a week has passed.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 17, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I like newt and demon but it's definitely pretty paper thin.

it's just not that well written

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The writer explained in the comics that the Magic Friendship Class Core is because he doesn't want to write about harems or romance and he knows how RoyalRoad is. Thresk can go adventuring and do dungeons. Theo does alchemy and city planning. By chapter 25 barely a week has passed.

the ... comics? also what's with authors. why would you ever read anything anyone says on royal road. that place is a hellhole.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

the ... comics? also what's with authors. why would you ever read anything anyone says on royal road. that place is a hellhole.
comments, presumably

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Comments, sorry.
Now I should not emptypost and go through the effort of finding the author comment.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/55927/the-newt-and-demon/chapter/947540/chapter-10-the-tarahek

emgriffiths10 days ago
I don't want to say I did the Tara'hek for me, but I did. I have a problem with characters I write. They fall in love fast and hard. The bonding ritual was my way to keep the story free of romance, whatever the cost. I have a problem, I know.

emgriffiths7 days ago
I've said it elsewhere, but the Tara'hek was for me. My main characters fall for my favorite side character, and that's a problem. The Newt and Demon is an exercise in minimalism for me. How can I write a story where nothing happens? No action, no romance, just boil it down to the bare essentials of the genre and see where it goes.

My target demographic is me, but I imagine younger people would enjoy it. I figure most mid-30s people like me remember a time when their friend group dwindled, and want some of that friendship back in their lives.

It's nice to celebrate friendship every now and again, right?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well that confirms my growing theory that turning 30 is like some kind of mental fermi paradox where nobody younger has any idea how your brain works anymore

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I really like The Newt and Demon, because it's quite stripped back, low-stakes and simple.

To many of the longer-running things I read get so high level and universe-ending - Ar'Kendrithyst, Azarinth Healer, The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound, He Who Fights With Monsters, you know what i mean. Even Beware of Chicken kind turned towards that because of it's background revelations in the last 10 chapters. Don't always have to talk with gods about ending the world, sometimes just brewing some potions is enough.

And I was kind of short on wholesome slice of life stuff to read - so much drama in TUtbAD, stopped on some other stories because I had to many 'cute 16 year olds girls with weird friends' stories at once.

I like the game elements a lot, but for reasons that probably not many people share. I'm kind of burned out on most games, maybe becase they suck these days, or maybe because I'm just to old. But this gives me 'dings' of perfect MMORPG-like crafting as it never really existed in reality, all without having to interact with other people. And now apparently city building now as well, without all the stress and complexity new games have these days. I tried that cultivation simulator thingy and broke down during character creation because it was to convoluted to me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
NaD: nothing will happen. a terrifying ultra-powerful paladin shows up to kill the protagonist and within a handful of lines it's all sorted, including future problems, have a cool item too. number will go up, but not in a dramatic way. place will grow. an entire workforce may lose their livelihoods but hey, they have a better job in better conditions for better pay.

the novelty will wear off but right now it's slightly more effort to unsubscribe than to read, so

e: btdem: nice cock

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 17, 2022

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

MonikaTSarn posted:

I really like The Newt and Demon, because it's quite stripped back, low-stakes and simple.

To many of the longer-running things I read get so high level and universe-ending - Ar'Kendrithyst, Azarinth Healer, The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound, He Who Fights With Monsters, you know what i mean. Even Beware of Chicken kind turned towards that because of it's background revelations in the last 10 chapters. Don't always have to talk with gods about ending the world, sometimes just brewing some potions is enough.

And I was kind of short on wholesome slice of life stuff to read - so much drama in TUtbAD, stopped on some other stories because I had to many 'cute 16 year olds girls with weird friends' stories at once.

I like the game elements a lot, but for reasons that probably not many people share. I'm kind of burned out on most games, maybe becase they suck these days, or maybe because I'm just to old. But this gives me 'dings' of perfect MMORPG-like crafting as it never really existed in reality, all without having to interact with other people. And now apparently city building now as well, without all the stress and complexity new games have these days. I tried that cultivation simulator thingy and broke down during character creation because it was to convoluted to me.

I don't think enough authors know how to deescalate.

Yes, you can save the country one chapter, great! But you don't need to escalate to saving the world. You can deescalate back to math class, and struggling with it.

Now, prior experience saving the world should come into play here - the characters shouldn't be as stressed over it, because they've been in higher stakes - but you CAN write it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The entire story to the point where I stopped reading was:

I told this orc to get me some materials and he did, he's nice.
I told my cat/salamander notwife to get me some materials and she did, then she gave me a friendly headbutt and curled up in her bed, she's cute.
The woman I owe money yelled at me to give her money but it's not due yet, she's rude.
I love the town I live in (no reason given).
I'm going to be ultra rich in a week after I reduced a year long manufacturing process to 45 minutes.
I made some potions, number went up.
I had some stew at the tavern, the innkeeper does not have a personality.

The slice of life stories are fun because the characters interact with each other. Mizuki and Meiling and Mrsha are fleshed out and are people, not just NPCs that perform fetch quests.

This book doesn't have any of that. It's just an idle game with less characterization.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I deeply appreciate Fox's tongue providing a family shrubbery.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I would suggest Dao of the Deal again. It's a business-y slice-of-life as well and it's much better written.

It's also by someone who abandoned his previous stories before, as goons have warned me last time I posted it, but as of right now the current story is already longer than all of the author's previous attempts, shows no sign of stopping and is doing okay on Patreon. I feel comfortable recommending it.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

I deeply appreciate Fox's tongue providing a family shrubbery.

The one thing I'm not quite sure on - do Markus and Aaron have the same mother?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
That's what the shrubbery says. They apparently look similar enough that I think they are twins separated at birth.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's a new story in the Rising Stars on RR and it's quite good, actually.

Monster Menu: LITRPG, CULTIVATION, COOKING

It's about a chef who gets isekai'd to a fantasy world and gets cooking-related powers and into a lot of trouble. It's about 50% slice of life/50% suspenseful action and the tone, I would say, is more Dungeon Crawler Carl than Beware of Chicken. Some dark poo poo happens, but so far everything has worked out in the end. I'd say it takes a few chapters to get going.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Megazver posted:

It's about a chef who gets isekai'd to a fantasy world and gets cooking-related powers and into a lot of trouble. It's about 50% slice of life/50% suspenseful action and the tone, I would say, is more Dungeon Crawler Carl than Beware of Chicken. Some dark poo poo happens, but so far everything has worked out in the end. I'd say it takes a few chapters to get going.

I read this for a bit, and the MC is kind of a jerk. The sidekick is stupidly honest in a way that I think is supposed to be funny but kept straining my suspension of disbelief. It’s otherwise okay.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Does anyone have an account on topwebfiction and/or can they score me an invite to topwebfiction

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Does anyone have an account on topwebfiction and/or can they score me an invite to topwebfiction

Yeah, PM me the email address you want to use for it and I can send you one. TWF has fallen off a lot in clickthroughs and hits, though, as far as I'm aware.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yeah, PM me the email address you want to use for it and I can send you one. TWF has fallen off a lot in clickthroughs and hits, though, as far as I'm aware.

Everything has, nothing lasts, the world is garbage

I am well past the point of being picky about scraps

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Everything has, nothing lasts, the world is garbage

I am well past the point of being picky about scraps
either half of this would be a good thread title if we didn't already have a great one

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
This one's been around for a while, a change would be good

Also, the author of TUTBAD/Worth the Candle had an idea yesterday for a short story and then quickly knocked it out, here it is: Eager Readers in Your Area!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I read part of an article about an author using AI as a tool to fill in descriptions and background so they could pump out books on the schedule their readers demanded. Like, expand from "Alice makes small talk with Bob" and tidy it up. Does anyone remember it and have a link?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Something awful like this?

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I read part of an article about an author using AI as a tool to fill in descriptions and background so they could pump out books on the schedule their readers demanded. Like, expand from "Alice makes small talk with Bob" and tidy it up. Does anyone remember it and have a link?

https://www.theverge.com/c/23194235/ai-fiction-writing-amazon-kindle-sudowrite-jasper

quote:

Lepp, who writes under the pen name Leanne Leeds in the “paranormal cozy mystery” subgenre, allots herself precisely 49 days to write and self-edit a book. This pace, she said, is just on the cusp of being unsustainably slow. She once surveyed her mailing list to ask how long readers would wait between books before abandoning her for another writer. The average was four months. Writer’s block is a luxury she can’t afford, which is why as soon as she heard about an artificial intelligence tool designed to break through it, she started beseeching its developers on Twitter for access to the beta test.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Megazver posted:

Thanks
It's the next one I'll be picking up now that I've cought up on NaD.
I remember starting The Wandering Inn and thinking Erin was king of an entitled jerk who took Relc and Klbkch for granted. But she got better. I'm hoping the main character here grows on me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GlassElephant posted:

https://www.theverge.com/c/23194235/ai-fiction-writing-amazon-kindle-sudowrite-jasper

quote:

She once surveyed her mailing list to ask how long readers would wait between books before abandoning her for another writer. The average was four months.
I'm baffled by this because I don't know what "abandoning her for another writer" means. Like, if I like your books, I will buy and read the next one when it comes out. Why does the time frame matter? Obviously she wants more income to survive, that's fine, but what does "abandon" mean in this context? Do people just... forget that writers existed and then fall off the wagon and never pick them up again?

on the other hand this was entirely worth clicking because

quote:

Or when it exuberantly overextended metaphors: “Alice closed her eyes and sighed, savoring the moment before reality came back crashing down on them like the weight of an elephant sitting on them both while being eaten by a shark in an airplane full of ninjas puking out their eyes and blood for no apparent reason other than that they were ninjas who liked puke so much they couldn’t help themselves from spewing it out of their orifices at every opportunity.”

e: also worth noting, the gentleman who says that “There’s arguments that no one’s ever thought of an original new thought in a century,” which like lmao the Big Bang theory was first introduced in 1927 that's just literally false

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 18, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Surely that is the most powerful sentence ever written in the English language

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do people just... forget that writers existed and then fall off the wagon and never pick them up again?
haha no how absurd would that be

(yes, until something reminds me that they existed, and seeing physical books that I loved on my shelves may not do it because I just stop seeing things after a while)

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
There's a simple solution, just write more. I'm sure this will be extremely sustainable.

quote:

With the help of the program, she recently ramped up production yet again. She is now writing two series simultaneously, toggling between the witch detective and a new mystery-solving heroine, a 50-year-old divorced owner of an animal rescue who comes into possession of a magical platter that allows her to communicate with cats. It was an expansion she felt she had to make just to stay in place. With an increasing share of her profits going back to Amazon in the form of advertising, she needed to stand out amid increasing competition. Instead of six books a year, her revised spreadsheet forecasts 10.

Nevertheless, she understands the fears of her fellow authors. For Lepp and her peers, ebooks created an unexpected chance to vault mid-career into a dream job. Reader expectations and Amazon’s algorithms have demanded ever-faster output, and they’ve worked hard to keep up. AI may offer a lifeline now, but what happens when the programs get better — how much more acceleration can authors take?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm baffled by this because I don't know what "abandoning her for another writer" means. Like, if I like your books, I will buy and read the next one when it comes out. Why does the time frame matter? Obviously she wants more income to survive, that's fine, but what does "abandon" mean in this context? Do people just... forget that writers existed and then fall off the wagon and never pick them up again?

maybe some of her income's tied up in patreon

I personally can't wait to write myself into the grave twice as fast thanks to robots

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 129: Literally just speedrunning the roguelike at this point.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

This might just be personal or anecdotal, but it feels like the web-serial reading patreon-inclined audience is a hell of a lot more forgiving and understanding of human limits, compared to the Amazon algorithm and some of the specific audiences most likely to be purchasing certain kinds of self-published fiction.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I've gotten into a nice thing where I'm following enough series that I don't really notice too much when one stops updating for awhile, I'll get a notification when the next one pops up and unless its been a year it shouldn't be too hard to jump back in.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Hungry posted:

This might just be personal or anecdotal, but it feels like the web-serial reading patreon-inclined audience is a hell of a lot more forgiving and understanding of human limits, compared to the Amazon algorithm and some of the specific audiences most likely to be purchasing certain kinds of self-published fiction.

this also makes sense

I don't know what the hell then

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
to be clear my patrons are very cool, I just assumed it was a fluke and I am history's greatest monster for taking advantage of them

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I see the patreon model as being much less transactional than buying books. Patreon is set up around the idea that you're giving the creator money so that they can afford to keep doing the thing they're doing, and the pricing makes zero sense if that's not what you're looking to do. Buying a book doesn't require giving a gently caress about if the author will ever write another book, but paying a monthly fee in exchange for effectively nothing after the first month requires caring quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
clearly it’s that the authors who post in this cool and good thread are just amazing and superior people, and thus attract a higher class of patron