Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
One done one more to go. This was sooo tedious. It turned out ok though not bad for my first time with PE. I think PE is a lot more common with military models I don't know how you guys deal with it.

Edit: Also it's probably glued to the tape now. It's going to be fun getting it off there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I sympathize with your tedium. I just put the last decal on the Tamiya F-14. It took me five sessions and probably 15 to 20 hours to do all of them. Uuuuugh.

Your PE looks great, by the way. Yes, it's probably glued to the tape, a straight razor blade or box cutter blade slid under the part parallel to the surface will help pop it loose without bending the assembly. Good luck!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like a nice kit, and I hope you keep sharing. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Well, after much boohooing and bitching about decals, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the final product. Here are a few quick and dirty shots after just finishing. This is Tamiya's F-14A Tomcat in 1/48th scale (Kit 61114) in the livery of VF-2 as seen on the USS Enterprise around 1975. It's a departure from my normal comfort zone of 1/32 WWII aircraft, so it was kind of refreshing to do something different. I'm just not used to so many damned decals, thus my bitching. Otherwise this is a fantastic kit that goes together exceptionally well, and I would highly recommend it. It's pricey, but the quality is there for sure. Aftermarket includes the Quinta studios 3D printed cockpit set, and ejection seats and wheels from Eduard.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Got drat! That is a sexy model. Amazing loving job. I can easily say that's one of the best models I've seen here, or frankly anywhere. If there are any competitions near you, enter it, this thing could sweep.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Got drat! That is a sexy model. Amazing loving job. I can easily say that's one of the best models I've seen here, or frankly anywhere. If there are any competitions near you, enter it, this thing could sweep.

Speaking as someone who stupidly judged at an IPMS Nationals before - obviously these are pictures so I can't see all around the model like we would do at a competition, but there is nothing here that would be an automatic 'mark down' which is the first thing the judges look for, so that puts it above about 90% of every model entered in competitions!

Basically the judges look for construction flaws first, because by screening those out (visible glue marks, misaligned parts, gaps, etc.) you can quickly eliminate a huge number of models and then focus the real effort on the remaining few.

It does look great.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Well, after much boohooing and bitching about decals, I have to say I'm pretty happy with the final product. Here are a few quick and dirty shots after just finishing. This is Tamiya's F-14A Tomcat in 1/48th scale (Kit 61114) in the livery of VF-2 as seen on the USS Enterprise around 1975. It's a departure from my normal comfort zone of 1/32 WWII aircraft, so it was kind of refreshing to do something different. I'm just not used to so many damned decals, thus my bitching. Otherwise this is a fantastic kit that goes together exceptionally well, and I would highly recommend it. It's pricey, but the quality is there for sure. Aftermarket includes the Quinta studios 3D printed cockpit set, and ejection seats and wheels from Eduard.
[tomcat.jpg]

If I had to pick at anything, and I rarely make this suggestion, I'd actually like to see this more weathered. The Tomcat was a filthy plane operating in a filthy environment, so some grease staining and general dirt, especially around the wing joints would do it some credit. It's great as-is, though. I wish I had that kind of output in my comfort zone, let alone outside it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
First and foremost, thank you for the kind words. Sincerely, they mean a lot to me.

This sparks something of an interesting conversation. I've never been interested in entering any of my work into any competitions before. Philosophically speaking, I build models for me. An overarching passion for military history has long been one of my defining characteristics. (Since kindergarten when I found a book about the Battle of the Coral Sea at my elementary library.) So, military modeling is really just an extension of that passion. They bring my closer to my passion while allowing me to do something tactile, creative, and well... zen.

I share pictures of my work here out of a joy of the hobby. I love looking at the pictures and participating in the conversations surrounding the works of everyone here, and I appreciate the fact that we have modelers of all skill levels in the ranks. I'm also thrilled when people ask me for advise as I love mentoring and teaching, and... no one in my personal life ever asks me for advice about models (except my niece who does amazing Breyer horses). There's never a desire to compete. Just to enjoy the journey and appreciate the work of others.

I just realized that I kind of identify with Bob Ross, but only with miniature models. huh.

Anyway, why do you model?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I put up a few of my models on a website with professional modelers and they all got bashed into oblivion. On the other hand MiniArt put one of my dioramas on their website, so I don't know who to believe.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

I put up a few of my models on a website with professional modelers and they all got bashed into oblivion. On the other hand MiniArt put one of my dioramas on their website, so I don't know who to believe.

Any hobby, but especially any male-dominated hobby, has a certain amount of dick waving disguised as critique or feedback. Or not disguised at all. You get the same bullshit on any site discussing videogames known for their difficulty.

:("Anyone have any tips for beating Manus? I'm stuck."
:agesilaus:"Not sure what your problem is. I beat him first try."
:smugmrgw:"I beat him first try while naked"
:("So that's a no then??"
:smugteddie:"git güd"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Gewehr 43 posted:

First and foremost, thank you for the kind words. Sincerely, they mean a lot to me.

This sparks something of an interesting conversation. I've never been interested in entering any of my work into any competitions before. Philosophically speaking, I build models for me. An overarching passion for military history has long been one of my defining characteristics. (Since kindergarten when I found a book about the Battle of the Coral Sea at my elementary library.) So, military modeling is really just an extension of that passion. They bring my closer to my passion while allowing me to do something tactile, creative, and well... zen.

I share pictures of my work here out of a joy of the hobby. I love looking at the pictures and participating in the conversations surrounding the works of everyone here, and I appreciate the fact that we have modelers of all skill levels in the ranks. I'm also thrilled when people ask me for advise as I love mentoring and teaching, and... no one in my personal life ever asks me for advice about models (except my niece who does amazing Breyer horses). There's never a desire to compete. Just to enjoy the journey and appreciate the work of others.

I just realized that I kind of identify with Bob Ross, but only with miniature models. huh.

I don't enter my models into competitions because they are nowhere near good enough. I model because I love the challenge of making a bunch of plastic look like a real car. Also I can't afford most of the real life cars I model so between models and games like Forza Horizon it's about as close as I can get to owning the real thing. And I can customize them as much as I like.

If that F14 is any indication of your skill level then I'd say you can definitely enter competitions and possibly win.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Gewehr 43 posted:

For me it's just relaxing to work on a kit and finish it, even if there's lots of decals, fitting issues or I encounter paint problems. Plus, I'm left with something neat to put on a shelf in the end.

I don't post some of my finished builds here because I feel they're not as good as they could have been, might have to post more often though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
^^Just post, dude. ^^ :)
We come here for model pics and model chat. Go nuts.

Yeah, that's ultimately frustrating. I posted this build to a modeling forum years ago and one of the first responses was something like "you could have at least thinned the track skirts down to scale thickness." Pretty sure I never posted there again. Experience has taught me over the years that the pursuit of perfection is a fool's errand. So, if that's the pedantic culture that a particular modeling forum wants to foster, then it ain't for me, and I'll take my stuff elsewhere. I post here because we're all generally supportive and, when criticism is forthcoming, it's constructive and helpful. You could argue that maybe I'm just a pussy who can't stand up to negativity - and I question myself on it sometimes - but I don't think that's it. I think it's more that I deeply embrace the idea that modeling is a hobby and that hobbies should be fun.

That said, Ensign, your work is pretty great and I enjoy it quite a bit. Your figure painting has really improved leaps and bounds from the first few figures you posted. So, screw the haters.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That rivet counting poo poo you get with military and automotive modeling communities is a large reason why I switched almost exclusively to giant robots.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I make models because I like building things, and also I like tanks and planes and whatnot. All my hobbies involve prolonged concentration and high degrees of hand-eye coordination, so I guess that's what I enjoy most, whether it's video games or drawing or modeling.

I built some kits as a kid and fell out of things entirely until I was in my 30s, when I started painting miniatures. That got me into Gundams, and that got me into scale stuff, now that kits weren't all Monogram crap from the sixties and paint was more than struggling with Testors enamel bottles.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Man, if I post my stuff here, nobody else should feel shy about posting theirs. This thread is very laid back and supportive.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yeah, that's ultimately frustrating. I posted this build to a modeling forum years ago and one of the first responses was something like "you could have at least thinned the track skirts down to scale thickness." Pretty sure I never posted there again.

Beauty of a model. I connected with a local scale model club and to be honest, every time I share something there I am always surprised at how supportive and encouraging everyone is. Sure, at the end of the day its mostly a bunch of old dudes who've known each other 20+ years but they all just seem stoked on people finishing kits.

I think I just celebrated my 2 years of making models, and honestly 1) tanks look cool and 2) its good to have a hobby where I feel I'm actually producing something. COVID was hard and it helped me power through some of the funk of not-socializing without just regressing to playing videogames in my boxers and pissing off my wife.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

^^Just post, dude. ^^ :)
We come here for model pics and model chat. Go nuts.

Yeah, that's ultimately frustrating. I posted this build to a modeling forum years ago and one of the first responses was something like "you could have at least thinned the track skirts down to scale thickness." Pretty sure I never posted there again. Experience has taught me over the years that the pursuit of perfection is a fool's errand. So, if that's the pedantic culture that a particular modeling forum wants to foster, then it ain't for me, and I'll take my stuff elsewhere. I post here because we're all generally supportive and, when criticism is forthcoming, it's constructive and helpful. You could argue that maybe I'm just a pussy who can't stand up to negativity - and I question myself on it sometimes - but I don't think that's it. I think it's more that I deeply embrace the idea that modeling is a hobby and that hobbies should be fun.

That said, Ensign, your work is pretty great and I enjoy it quite a bit. Your figure painting has really improved leaps and bounds from the first few figures you posted. So, screw the haters.

Well considering that my first post where you can see a face was:

it's not hard :v:

but thanks, that means a lot, especially coming from someone with your skill.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

boba fetacheese posted:

Beauty of a model. I connected with a local scale model club and to be honest, every time I share something there I am always surprised at how supportive and encouraging everyone is. Sure, at the end of the day its mostly a bunch of old dudes who've known each other 20+ years but they all just seem stoked on people finishing kits.

Honestly almost all modeling clubs I've interacted with (noted exception: Las Vegas IPMS) were just super happy to see anyong younger than their 50's getting into the hobby at all. They all want modeling to thrive, and that won't happen without getting younger people interested and encouraging them.

IPMS Phoenix chapter spends a fairly significant portion of their annual budget buying model kits to let kids build for free (with old dudes present to help and encourage) at various events throughout the year.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I make models because I like doing stuff with my hands. My two crippling factors are I almost never finish anything, and I have so many other hobbies that I can only devote a small amount of time to any of them.

As to the first issue, I read an interesting article a while back about people with a terminal inability to finish things, even their own person projects that are near and dear to them. For the longest time, the thought was these people are just lazy, or they have ADHD, or whatever, but study is showing for a lot of these people, it's 110% about the journey, and -1000% the destination. Which really hit home for me, because I like working with my hands and creating stuff, but once I'm like 80% of the way through I go "Well, I've almost completed this project, and I can picture exactly how it would look fully finished, and I've had a ton of fun so far but wouldn't derive much more pleasure from finishing it.... sooooo why bother finishing it."

Projects I do push through and finish, I definitely get a "Welp... it's done..." feeling where there's little payoff for me, so it's no surprise I don't finish a lot of stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

"Professional" requires investigation here. Are you talking people who make models for museums and the like or people who got paid one time and are now insufferable about it?

Gewehr 43 posted:

Yeah, that's ultimately frustrating. I posted this build to a modeling forum years ago and one of the first responses was something like "you could have at least thinned the track skirts down to scale thickness." Pretty sure I never posted there again.
One of the nice things about only building 1/72 stuff for, allegedly, wargaming purposes is that the kits are too small for that kind of poo poo and people are just happy to see someone actually finishing stuff for the table. I tend to go way overboard compared to most people (in any scale I try...) to the detriment of actually finishing kits/figures. The urge to always do better is not super productive when you want to get enough toy mans finished to have a game, especially when you look back at the first and realise it's "not good enough" after the practice you had. Better to just focus on getting it done at all.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

grassy gnoll posted:

I make models because I like building things, and also I like tanks and planes and whatnot. All my hobbies involve prolonged concentration and high degrees of hand-eye coordination, so I guess that's what I enjoy most, whether it's video games or drawing or modeling.

drat, you are my gnoll clone.

Exact same reasons. Just enjoy, modeling is great and chill. Post things, I enjoy them greatly even if I haven't been active as of late.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I make models because I like doing stuff with my hands. My two crippling factors are I almost never finish anything, and I have so many other hobbies that I can only devote a small amount of time to any of them.

As to the first issue, I read an interesting article a while back about people with a terminal inability to finish things, even their own person projects that are near and dear to them. For the longest time, the thought was these people are just lazy, or they have ADHD, or whatever, but study is showing for a lot of these people, it's 110% about the journey, and -1000% the destination. Which really hit home for me, because I like working with my hands and creating stuff, but once I'm like 80% of the way through I go "Well, I've almost completed this project, and I can picture exactly how it would look fully finished, and I've had a ton of fun so far but wouldn't derive much more pleasure from finishing it.... sooooo why bother finishing it."

Projects I do push through and finish, I definitely get a "Welp... it's done..." feeling where there's little payoff for me, so it's no surprise I don't finish a lot of stuff.

This is fascinating to me, because 80% is about the threshold where I've gotten so far and I'm so close, even if I hate whatever it is I'm going to finish it if it kills me. And specifically thinking of it in terms of that 80% figure, even. Not that I could elucidate the difference between a three-quarters complete and 80 percent complete model if I had a gun to my head.

I guess what I'm saying is, have you tried spite as a motivator?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

grassy gnoll posted:

This is fascinating to me, because 80% is about the threshold where I've gotten so far and I'm so close, even if I hate whatever it is I'm going to finish it if it kills me. And specifically thinking of it in terms of that 80% figure, even. Not that I could elucidate the difference between a three-quarters complete and 80 percent complete model if I had a gun to my head.

I guess what I'm saying is, have you tried spite as a motivator?

Currently using up all my spite in a side quarrel with God.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ever have that gut feeling where you are like "I don't think I really should pick up this extra part of the hobby. I already have too many!" then still do it anyway? I just had the realization that I am probably going to get a 3D printer.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh god, I'm the same way. I need a 3D printer, and a laser cutter, and a Cricut cutter, and and and...

I also build game controllers, and despite the fact I've built like 5 sticks and 3 pinball controllers, by god I just might build another. Can I use them all at once? Nope. Will I sell any? Nope? Do I need another? Probably, yeah.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I absolutely must buy a 3D printer to make a ton of custom bases for armies I have not even purchased yet, and by the time I get around to it I decide I want to do different bases, so I take the previously 3D printed bases and put them in a rubbermaid storage drawer and they will live there till I move and then they will go into a big storage tote, and then 20+ years from now when I die my son can throw them away.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I bought a 3D printer and my stash hasn't been touched since. At least the STL files I buy don't take up space in my closet.

Note that this does not actually prevent me from buying more model kits.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
My 3D printer has absolutely destroyed my "fiddling around" time at the desk, but I think on balance the time is more productive in the end. I've only had the thing for half a year and now I have a ton of openlock tiles ready to be painted. My scenery development and the iteration time to work on a new model is way faster than my previous methods of scratch everything from styrene.

A 3D printer can feel a bit paralysing because I don't know what my end goal is. am I going to put this scene in a detolf? Can I set up a cool giant base on a table top for playing with?

for instance: I just printed a set of curved brackets to hold posterboards up as a seamless backdrop, but I need a bigger posterboard.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh god, I'm the same way. I need a 3D printer, and a laser cutter, and a Cricut cutter, and and and...

I also build game controllers, and despite the fact I've built like 5 sticks and 3 pinball controllers, by god I just might build another. Can I use them all at once? Nope. Will I sell any? Nope? Do I need another? Probably, yeah.

Everybody knows those items aren't going to do you any good unless you also have a CNC mill/router. You'll also want some dust collection, a drill press, a bandsaw, combo sander, and you'll probably need a lathe, too.

And then you'll need somewhere to put all that stuff...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ah yes, the "someday I will build a workshop" stage of modelling :hmmyes:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Just need a nice 2400 square foot workshop with an attached house.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just need a nice 2400 square foot workshop with an attached house.

...might as well start with a bomb shelter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

Everybody knows those items aren't going to do you any good unless you also have a CNC mill/router. You'll also want some dust collection, a drill press, a bandsaw, combo sander, and you'll probably need a lathe, too.

And then you'll need somewhere to put all that stuff...

I already have a drillpress and a bandsaw.

And I live in a condo.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My kids are who I’m really jealous of. Because they are going through the same pick up every hobby problem I did, but their idiot dad already bought the tools, and doesn’t use half of them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Too late, stage completed and now I need a bigger one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Currently using up all my spite in a side quarrel with God.

Hate him back, it works for me.

I'm looking at getting better with Blender to 3d print some fiddly bits for 1/700 ships and 1/600 coastal forces. Tamiya is pretty high quality, but I'm pretty sure an 8k printer can do better than what they provide for light AA. And the PT Dockyard 1/600s have awful resin detail parts (like guns) that are more flash than part.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I've been modeling cars for a few years now and have been exclusively using acrylic and lacquer paints. I have basically zero experience with enamels. The only thing I know about them is they take forever to cure? Is there advantage to choosing enamels over lacquer for a car body? And how long do they really take to cure?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I've been modeling cars for a few years now and have been exclusively using acrylic and lacquer paints. I have basically zero experience with enamels. The only thing I know about them is they take forever to cure? Is there advantage to choosing enamels over lacquer for a car body? And how long do they really take to cure?

The only people I really know of who use enamels are older people who’ve been using them for a million years and don’t want to change their processes. In saying that though there are a couple of companies that do colour matched enamels for ships and planes in the same way that zero does for cars. I think the only real benefit with enamels is they are harder wearing once they cure fully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Double post because the context is different.

mllaneza posted:

Hate him back, it works for me.

I'm looking at getting better with Blender to 3d print some fiddly bits for 1/700 ships and 1/600 coastal forces. Tamiya is pretty high quality, but I'm pretty sure an 8k printer can do better than what they provide for light AA. And the PT Dockyard 1/600s have awful resin detail parts (like guns) that are more flash than part.

I'd be tempted to look into a hobbyist licence for Fusion 360 as I find it far easier to model in and it has a pile of extra functionality for sending things straight to a 3d printer or CNC machine. It's what I've switched to at work and the school kids I'm teaching with it seem to pick it up far easier than Inventor which I was using previously.