Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Slugworth posted:

I love this exterior. Best of luck updating the interior, but you leave this exterior alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Just low voltage landscape wiring. Possibly a single 120v line eventually, at some point, for a gate motor, but that's remote.

There are many gate motors that use line voltage to trickle charge a battery, which actually operates the motor (and ensures functionality if the power goes out). Mounting the charging bits remotely and just running the low voltage to the gate would let you still do the simple low voltage option even for a gate.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I never want to see a roll of X-Board again

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Great! No problem!

This is not the same project at all. That's exponentially harder and more expensive. Stick to "this is for low volt only".

I don't know how your driveway was constructed, but if it was done well you're going to want to be at least 6 inches under it before you try any of this hydraulic boring, because if you don't go that low you'll be trying to go through compacted quarry stone not dirt.

Qwijib0 posted:

There are many gate motors that use line voltage to trickle charge a battery, which actually operates the motor (and ensures functionality if the power goes out). Mounting the charging bits remotely and just running the low voltage to the gate would let you still do the simple low voltage option even for a gate.

Oh that's interesting about the motor. It's not something I even have on my radar at the moment, but I figured I'd rather only run something under the driveway once instead of twice should I ever decide to go that route. But if you can use low voltage to charge a battery then hey, works for me!

I don't know what the driveway sits on, but the PO shelled out for quality foundation repair (in the neighborhood of 20 or 30 grand) a decade ago, and the driveway appears to be quality, so let's assume there's quarry stone. I can try digging out a hole next to see it and see what I find.

Thanks for the input folks.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Slugworth posted:

I love this exterior. Best of luck updating the interior, but you leave this exterior alone.

It is clean as hell design that has aged excellently I agree. It’s like Walt’s house in Breaking Bad or something, timeless good looks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Slugworth posted:

:emptyquote:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

most of the cutting is today because they are doing the floor, then the bottom level of the wall tile. I get why they do everything but the bottom row of the wall first, then do floor, then bottom wall row. Since the floor is going to be sloped a bit, they just have to cut a lot of the wall pieces in that bottom row. I think the tile should be done today, then tomorrow is all the grouting, then the plumber will come by Friday to put in the fixtures

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Slugworth posted:

I need to change all the windows asap (realistically within 2-3 years, but we'll see how bad the first winter is). I really hope I can keep the "convex" front living room windows arrangement. I can imagine a contractor telling me it'll be 5k cheaper and just caving :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colonel J posted:

I need to change all the windows asap (realistically within 2-3 years, but we'll see how bad the first winter is). I really hope I can keep the "convex" front living room windows arrangement. I can imagine a contractor telling me it'll be 5k cheaper and just caving :(

It's just a bow window. Shouldn't be a big deal, they're not uncommon. Definitely a few bucks more than three or 4 standard windows to fill a hole of that size, but you're already got the expensive part done (foundation/roof).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

they are almost done tiling!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Qwijib0 posted:

I feel like I see a lot of gate motors that have a little square foot solar panel for the trickle charge function which would avoid having to run any wiring.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
hex & white subway tile is :discourse:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
What color grout are you going with? And can I recommend something not dark? Doesn't have to be white, just not charcoal or black. Unless their tiling is perfect a dark grout highlights every imperfection.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

What color grout are you going with? And can I recommend something not dark? Doesn't have to be white, just not charcoal or black. Unless their tiling is perfect a dark grout highlights every imperfection.

oh i know, it's the same as I used with the floor tile which is a very light gray - https://www.tileshop.com/products/pro-grout-excel-whisper-grey-8-lb-052300

and yes I can see how it's easy right now without it grouted to notice every single slight (like 1/16") misalignment in the tiling

Vim Fuego posted:

hex & white subway tile is :discourse:

thanks, the vertical stacked bond is more of a modern look to me, where as say a horizontal 1/3" or 1/2" overlay would be a bit more retro (and if you wanted really retro, penny tile for the floor)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Counterpoint. Light grout will eventually stain and look dark one day anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Counterpoint. Light grout will eventually stain and look dark one day anyway.

one thing to note is that this particular grout is "stain-resistant" but more important does not require a separate sealer, which should help.

also I was realizing the tile person is not wearing any sort of mask, seems like a good way to get silicosis eventually?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah that cant be good for them.

My house still has 100+ year old tile in the bathroom with "white" grout that is now black. I gave a good effort trying to clean it when we first moved in, but have now learned to just live with sweeping/mopping and living with the staining.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah that cant be good for them.

My house still has 100+ year old tile in the bathroom with "white" grout that is now black. I gave a good effort trying to clean it when we first moved in, but have now learned to just live with sweeping/mopping and living with the staining.

have you looked at those grout pens? they make them in a ton of different colors

I used that because I had issues with my tec grout, they sent me a bottle in the color the grout was supposed to be and it worked really well, and also had a sealer in it

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

actionjackson posted:

also I was realizing the tile person is not wearing any sort of mask, seems like a good way to get silicosis eventually?

It depends on the mortar being used.
Some have no silica in them at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

It depends on the mortar being used.
Some have no silica in them at all.

hmm ok. it's pretty dusty in there, which I know doesn't mean silica but doesn't seem great to inhale either. he's grouting today, and I think you would definitely want a mask for that based on the sds https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/TileShop/pdf/safety-data-sheets/progrout_excel_sds.pdf - says it's 30-50% silica

edit: i'm probably just thinking about the risk from grout specifically

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 18, 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

actionjackson posted:

have you looked at those grout pens? they make them in a ton of different colors

I used that because I had issues with my tec grout, they sent me a bottle in the color the grout was supposed to be and it worked really well, and also had a sealer in it

We did that for our kitchen backsplash when the grout color we chose ended up not working well at all with the tile color/pattern because it blended it all together too much. It was a pain in the rear end, but the end result turned out nice and it's held up well for 4 years now. I'm not sure if the durability would be less in a shower, though.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

actionjackson posted:

one thing to note is that this particular grout is "stain-resistant" but more important does not require a separate sealer, which should help.

A lot of tradesmen don't, presumably they believe they are too tough for PPE.

Edit: this is a general comment about masking, not whether it matters here.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 18, 2022

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

actionjackson posted:

hmm ok. it's pretty dusty in there, which I know doesn't mean silica but doesn't seem great to inhale either. he's grouting today, and I think you would definitely want a mask for that based on the sds https://s7d1.scene7.com/is/content/TileShop/pdf/safety-data-sheets/progrout_excel_sds.pdf - says it's 30-50% silica

edit: i'm probably just thinking about the risk from grout specifically

Is there inhalation risk from mixed grout? Not sure I've ever seen a tiler masked after mixing, but I'm not that experienced.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

After kicking up some dust with the BSH/Bosch executive group, they replaced the two combo wall oven units I've been fighting with for almost 3 years.

They sent two brand new, current model, units. Almost identical to what was taken out, the only difference is that the bottom oven is wifi now. The good thing about this is that it can auto-set the clock.

However, the microwave also has a clock, and it doesn't auto-set. So one clock got into step without intervention, and the second one is going to be incorrect until I manually change it. I think that's a metaphor for my whole Bosch experience.

2 weeks later and I notice that the control panel for the oven is not sitting flush. In fact, it'll flex almost 1/8", where all the other corners are solid and flush on the oven and microwave. gently caress Bosch so hard. I told the "executive liaison" that it would be funny, if it wasn't so sad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is why i only trust bosch for dishwashers

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slugworth posted:

How does that type of exterior deal with water getting between the 'rock' and freezing/expanding?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The LG washer and dryer that I ordered in July, showed up once too dented to use, showed up again yesterday. No dents, yay!

The installers said "Everything's working, I ran the test cycle, it's still running" and left.

After the test cycle completed, we discovered they'd set up the doors to open in different directions (headdesk) and failed to install the elbow and straps that are supposed to keep the drain hose from popping out. They called out to us that it wasn't the kind of installation of a drain hose they were used to, and only after they left were we able to read the label and find out there were parts to solve the problem.

But! Working washer and dryer, and far, far lower water usage, important because well and drought.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Question about engineered quartz - I'm looking to see what my options are to repair what appears to be some splotches that are left by what seems to be a food container that probably had lime juice or something acidic on it.

The damage is only able to be seen at certain angles, so its hard to take a photo of but I managed to get two.

this is when you look straight on at it, there's really nothing noticeable

So, I'm wondering how I can get this fixed so it gets that quartz reflection back and doesnt appear to have some weird splotch on it. Reading up on manufactured quartz, it seems like it is super tough and hard and non porous, but it's one Achilles heal is acid reacting with the resins in it, so things like a resealer don't really apply here like they would for marble.

If I had to guess, I think the path to fixing this is to polish/resurface it out, which would involve a handheld polisher, various pads (including a diamond pad) and then potentially something like this with a `snake revealer` and some other solutions https://www.granquartz.com/quartz-renew

They say it's not a diy job... but, if I cant get a local quote to find someone to do it for me (which has been sort of hard so far) I may be desperate enough to give it a try and learn how to do this because I'll be having these countertops for a while...

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 20, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the shower is done, sans I'm waiting to have the drain cover put in on monday, and I think a couple of the hex tiles will need to be replaced due to chips. But now... where do i put my pouf (it's sitting on the floor, stealthily hiding behind the curtain)

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Time to get a hook with a 3m adhesive backer

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DoubleT2172 posted:

Time to get a hook with a 3m adhesive backer

bahahahahaha

i'll just find some stick on hook that doesn't look dumb

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 20, 2022

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Get one of the over-showerhead storage things. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Simple-House...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

Get one of the over-showerhead storage things. Like this https://www.amazon.com/Simple-House...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

the niche obfuscates that for all my other items, so I think I'll just get one hook for the pouf.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

the niche obfuscates that for all my other items, so I think I'll just get one hook for the pouf.

I got this like 3 years ago and it hasn't lost suction once since I put it in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR6FH6O

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KoRMaK posted:

Question about engineered quartz - I'm looking to see what my options are to repair what appears to be some splotches that are left by what seems to be a food container that probably had lime juice or something acidic on it.

The damage is only able to be seen at certain angles, so its hard to take a photo of but I managed to get two.

this is when you look straight on at it, there's really nothing noticeable

So, I'm wondering how I can get this fixed so it gets that quartz reflection back and doesnt appear to have some weird splotch on it. Reading up on manufactured quartz, it seems like it is super tough and hard and non porous, but it's one Achilles heal is acid reacting with the resins in it, so things like a resealer don't really apply here like they would for marble.

If I had to guess, I think the path to fixing this is to polish/resurface it out, which would involve a handheld polisher, various pads (including a diamond pad) and then potentially something like this with a `snake revealer` and some other solutions https://www.granquartz.com/quartz-renew

They say it's not a diy job... but, if I cant get a local quote to find someone to do it for me (which has been sort of hard so far) I may be desperate enough to give it a try and learn how to do this because I'll be having these countertops for a while...

Etching is tough.

My first shot would be going to a sealer like Bulletproof https://dupontstonetech.com/products/stonetech%C2%AE-bulletproof%C2%AE-sealer to see if that mitigates it at all. If not, it's a physical resurfacing needed. Even that isn't a guarantee of success, since, deep damage.

Do you have any of the material extra that you could practice on? Is it something still available that you could source a scrap piece? I'd much rather learn to work the material on scrap than the finished, needed, part.

tl;dr: That's rough, but you should be able to mitigate with some work. Goons.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 27, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if i get two hooks, one will be for be for the pouf, one will be for hanging a waterproof clock on a necklace like flavor flav

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

Etching is tough.

I don't have experience with quartz, but I do with marble and granite. When I bought my nice, new, expensive house 15 years ago, on move-in day, I was sweaty as hell. I didn't want to get anything in the house dirty, so I sat on the marble base of the fireplace. Etched an rear end print right into it. Covered it with a vase for several years, then got antsy. Got a set of polishing pads like you linked and I got it out about 90%. You can still see some shading, but the problem with etching is that it goes deeper into the stone than just the surface, so even a perfectly polished surface can look lovely and etched because it's deep damage.

My first shot would be going to a sealer like Bulletproof https://dupontstonetech.com/products/stonetech%C2%AE-bulletproof%C2%AE-sealer to see if that mitigates it at all. If not, it's a physical resurfacing needed. Even that isn't a guarantee of success, since, deep damage.

Do you have any of the material extra that you could practice on? Is it something still available that you could source a scrap piece? I'd much rather learn to work the material on scrap than the finished, needed, part.

tl;dr: That's rough, but you should be able to mitigate with some work.

Is a sealer like that going to help remedy etched spots in marble floor tiles? We stupidly put black marble in the bathroom, and any place where *any* liquid has sat for more then a few minutes will show etching. We did seal it when we put it in, but obviously not enough.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

So this happened. I had turned on the spigot last night and left the hose pressurized. Was running for at least a few hours. My house is fine but the vacant rental next door had some water pooling next to it. They've been having contractors over daily so I'm gonna let it ride, no idea how I'd even contact the landlord. Scummy? Maybe, but I don't want to cause a scene if there's no damage to begin with (we also frequently get 1“+ rain events)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I wouldn't expect you could cause any sort of water runoff damage with a standard garden hose, short of breaking out a window and running the hose into the building. Any water that runs next to the building will certainly just soak into the ground.

And if the ground is already too saturated and causing water damage, your hose added a negligible amount to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

actionjackson posted:

the shower is done, sans I'm waiting to have the drain cover put in on monday, and I think a couple of the hex tiles will need to be replaced due to chips. But now... where do i put my pouf (it's sitting on the floor, stealthily hiding behind the curtain)

I just hang mine on the spinny bit that adjusts the water, the control knob I guess it's called.