Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

resident posted:

There’s a pretty long history of party and drinking culture at RAGBRAI. From stories I’ve heard, the 90s got pretty out of control to the point where some communities no longer wanted the route to pass through the county. Troopers turn a blind eye to public intox, riding while over legal BAC limits, and other shenanigans for the week. Part of the historical unwritten trooper - partier contract is to just stay respectful and don’t hurt anyone around you. The troopers tell you to leave a bar/private party and if you ignore them long enough they move on. They are generally just trying to keep people safe and parties from getting overly obnoxious to locals.

Last year they amped up crowd control to 11, probably in part due to leftover anxiety from BLM protests and another part misplaced expectations from inexperienced ride directors, and decided completely shutting down business providing aide to non-partiers was part of their MO. It was unsafe given conditions and it pissed a lot of people off - days were long and weather was drat hot throughout 2021.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Heliosicle posted:

Couldn't read the article but I wonder how that maps out across the pricing spectrum. Bikes that were previously ~3500 are now closer to 6000 (or even worse if you look at Spec and Trek), those price increases happened while the supply was really constrained and it was almost impossible to get hold of one. They're definitely becoming more available now and not selling out instantly.

I'm hoping that shifts into oversupply once they run out of customers willing to pay high prices and they have to cut them by a good margin in the next year (provided I keep my job :v:)

Yeah, the article notes much of the oversupply is at the bottom and middle tiers:

quote:

Not all bikes are hard to peddle now, however. Bikes that enthusiasts go for—which typically cost more than $1,500—still have wait times, as do supplies of certain parts such as gears and brakes, according to several retailers and McKinsey & Co. partner Alexander Thiel.

One retailer that didn’t have enough high-end models for sale recently was Massachusetts chain Landry’s Bicycles, which had difficulty meeting demand for mountain bikes in the run-up to a high-profile Pan Mass Challenge charity ride earlier this month, said James Ray, who manages business and e-commerce for Landry’s.

Landry’s, he said, is now focusing on getting more of these top-choice bikes instead of purchasing “anything that we could bring in to help satisfy the needs.” There are lots more bikes available for children and recreational riders but less interest in them, he added.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VideoGameVet posted:

Behold, the Bike Saturday:

:popeye:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Well, I'm not going to lie--I'm part of that problem. I wouldn't have even gone to the bike shop a couple years ago, but all the gyms were closed, and after months of doing nothing more that the calisthenics that one can do at home with almost no equipment (because all the equipment was out of stock), I figured if I had a bike, I could make use of the trails that I knew we had around here. So I got me a hybrid, as did my wife. Stationary bike was my preferred cardio at the gym, after all, on account of my busted-up ankles (busted-up from years of me weighing way too much). Turns out, I love to ride, and after several months, I upgraded to a better bike (the Escape), and should be getting my first proper (albeit entry-level) road bike this week.

There are a lot of people who bought bikes for the same reason that I did at the same time I did. Now, they're filling up on hybrids of all sizes and makes, because that's all everyone was buying for two solid years, and they couldn't keep them on the floor. So, the factories churned them out. But now, the gyms are open again, and not everyone who bought a bike to stay active fell in love with the hobby like I did, so they're out of the bike-buying game, and few people who are still in it want entry-level, casual-riding bikes.

Except me. I'd kind-of like to have a single-speed cruiser just to take on camping trips so I could ride around the campgrounds. Except for camping trips that are adjacent to a trail that stretches for about 40 miles total, of course.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

What is even the theoretical point of such a stupid device?

It's closer to running outdoors than riding a bicycle, but zero impact like a bicycle. These things also climb pretty well, but obviously aren't aeroooo.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Slavvy posted:

People do things cause they're hard all the time yeah

you may say I'm riding an expensive and grossly impractical gimmick bike, I say I'm underbiking the MUP :smugdog:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Introducing the RowGo. It's a rowing machine, but it's also a bike.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's closer to running outdoors than riding a bicycle, but zero impact like a bicycle. These things also climb pretty well, but obviously aren't aeroooo.

Also much more mechanically efficient than running

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Introducing the RowGo. It's a rowing machine, but it's also a bike.

https://rowingbike.com/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1VxvXeQdg

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I think I've mentioned this before, but the first time I ever put eyes on my wife was when she went by on an EliptiGo. She was part timing at the local running store and took one out both to give it a try and also cuz she was coming back from injury and those things are zero impact.

A buddy of mine has one of those row bikes too. They're harder than crap to steer off the bat, but otherwise it's good fun if you get going.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 16, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

Amazing, they really have thought of everything

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
As a person who rowed (very badly) in high school, the thought that someone invented a machine that makes it so that you could theoretically be in a position where you need to row up a hill makes me very angry.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Crumps Brother posted:

I think I've mentioned this before, but the first time I ever put eyes on my wife was when she went by on an EliptiGo. She was part timing at the local running store and took one out both to give it a try and also cuz she was coming back from injury and those things are zero impact.

Hey beautiful, do you make looping zero-impact strides around here often?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

T.C. posted:

As a person who rowed (very badly) in high school, the thought that someone invented a machine that makes it so that you could theoretically be in a position where you need to row up a hill makes me very angry.

lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I appreciate elliptical machines for their utility as a zero-impact cardio device for people who need them, but also elliptical machines are responsible for an entire generation’s worth of the following nerdlinger bullshit/evergreen YLLS post:

:reject: life is so unfair, I just want to be hottt for the :females:

:v: ok well, you don’t have to be like super buff, but getting into fitter shape can certainly help—

:reject: I already go to the gym 3-5 days per week. I have been doing this for years. Nothing works, my body is broken.

:v: ok…what do you do? Are you lifting freewei—

:reject: I do the elliptical. I come to the gym, I put on my shows on the little TV, and I do the elliptical for 45 minutes.

:v: that’s your main problem. Like, you’re not actually working on any of the areas that will affect your physique—

:reject: shut up. Please do not tell me to do more exercise, it’s never enough and I haaate working out. I hate running and I will NOT lift weights. This is already too much.

Apr 7, 2003

row row row your bike
gently up the hill

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

zzz wake me up when there's a tandem Gazelle bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyK-3Em8__c

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

row row row your bike
gently up the hill

I was thinking more along the lines of Kate Bush - Rowing Up That Hill (A Curse By God)

Apr 7, 2003

After all the poo poo that I've heard about an appropriate saddle for your riding angle, etc, etc, and $600 spent, turns out my wife likes the B17 Carved best anyway.

In other news if anyone wants a Fabric Elite Shallow or a Brooks C15 I have some for sale.

(my Brooks Swift wore in and is perfect. Great saddle.)

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

After all the poo poo that I've heard about an appropriate saddle for your riding angle, etc, etc, and $600 spent, turns out my wife likes the B17 Carved best anyway.

In other news if anyone wants a Fabric Elite Shallow or a Brooks C15 I have some for sale.

(my Brooks Swift wore in and is perfect. Great saddle.)

What color C15? I’m giving a Selle Anatomica x2 a go on my new Bearclaw but would definitely throw on a C15 if it’s not life changing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

zzz wake me up when there's a tandem Gazelle bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyK-3Em8__c

amateur bullshit how about a water bicycle

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/d/kirkland-manta5-hydro-bike/7517790559.html

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I won't have time to fix my shifters this weekend, still having issues with the tensioning in my vintage shifters.

Really milling about in my brain replacing them with modern click shifters, but I have no idea what that would cost me.

Maybe I can just pilfer the shifters off my LLBean bike onto my Ross bike? that has twist-grip shifters.

Apr 7, 2003

resident posted:

What color C15? I’m giving a Selle Anatomica x2 a go on my new Bearclaw but would definitely throw on a C15 if it’s not life changing.

Black, nothing crazy. Used twice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I won't have time to fix my shifters this weekend, still having issues with the tensioning in my vintage shifters.

Really milling about in my brain replacing them with modern click shifters, but I have no idea what that would cost me.

Maybe I can just pilfer the shifters off my LLBean bike onto my Ross bike? that has twist-grip shifters.

How many speeds/gears do you have? Older-generation parts have leveled off in cost, but it could still be pricy relative to what you paid.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

T.C. posted:

What you don't have rivers with really strong currents that make you regret your decision to go out on the water and the fact that you only packed two lovely sandwiches not three and now just want to go home and eat gently caress this river gently caress rowing I'm never doing this bullshit again where you are?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Or is that more of a canoeing thing?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Sounds like canoeing, honestly.

Sometimes I miss canoeing. Then I remember the experience of canoeing. That usually cures it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EvilJoven posted:

That sounds more like a canoeing thing, most recreational rowing is sport rowing which rarely involves bringing sandwiches

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Sounds like canoeing, honestly.

Sometimes I miss canoeing. Then I remember the experience of canoeing. That usually cures it.

Yeah fishing by canoe certainly did get easier and more enjoyable once we said screw it and bought an electric trolling motor and n a big rear end marine battery.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

How many speeds/gears do you have? Older-generation parts have leveled off in cost, but it could still be pricy relative to what you paid.

Three in front, six or seven in the back? I'd have to double check.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Take pics of both your shifters and derailleurs just to be sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you have drops you could get second hand 7 speed RSX brifters.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's not really anything in a friction shifter to not work right unless they're just missing a washer or something.

Post a photo or a model number and I'll see if I can dig up any old info to see if everything is there.

Otherwise you can still get new ones for cheap. They just have a little more plastic and don't look at nice as a cleaned up vintage set https://www.amazon.com/Sunrace-SLM10-Friction-Shifter-Set/dp/B007QMJH86

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 17, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Those shifters are both amazing and lovely at the same time.

You really gotta crank down on the clamp to get them to stay, but they have a nice ratcheting mechanism and come with cables. They are also cheap AF. You can probably find them even cheaper.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
You can also spend too much for nicer-looking shifters. I love downtube friction shifters, but I'm a weirdo.

e: alternatively buy a beat up old road bike with decent components on craigslist for nothing and cannibalize the parts you need. That's how I accumulated far too many bike parts. I somehow accidentally gathered enough parts to build a spare track bike in my workspace doing this.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 17, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Loucks posted:

e: alternatively buy a beat up old road bike with decent components on craigslist for nothing and cannibalize the parts you need. That's how I accumulated far too many bike parts. I somehow accidentally gathered enough parts to build a spare track bike in my workspace doing this.

Hell yeah I'll be stuck in the late nineties forever and that's fine by me

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I'm at the bike shop now, feeling like I did in 1984 when I knew that BMX-shaped pile of wrapping paper near the tree was my Christmasbirthday present.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Found a 63cm seat tube / 60cm top tube Peugeot traveling bike. Original, nothing done probably ever. Everything except headset bearing surfaces are hosed. The parts and rims suck. Needs new everything except maybe brakes, fenders and cargo racks.

I paid 90€ for the bike, I knew it was poo poo. I bought it anyways because life is not exciting enough :shrug:

It has room for 38-40mm wide tyres at least. Front fork was 97mm measured and rear fork 124mm? I need to buy a shimano deraileur hanger and widen the rear fork by like 4-5mm to fit something recent. Rear quick release axle was bent?! Never seen that one before.

The headset bottom bearings were loose, and dropped around my floor. Upper bearings had a bracket, nice.

Seatpost is 24.0mm?????? The seatpost was too low and it is fixed to the lovely saddle? What. Where I'm going to find a 24.0mm seatpost :D

The Stronglight cranks use a hosed up 23.35mm thread for removal tool. What the gently caress. That's the only part I couldn't remove so I have to ask around tomorrow if someone has the tool.

Bottom bracket width is 68mm so I'm kind of semi hopeful it's BSA. At least it is threaded so you never know. Probably it's some french poo poo though with 35x1mm threads.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 18, 2022

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I like the headlight. It'd be worth it (well, for me) to carefully disassemble it and replace the guts with a nice, bright-rear end LED.

I remember when I was a kid and my dad bought a road bike that he rode five times and then left on the front porch for an ever or two. This thing (probably bought at Western Auto) had the was unremarkable, but it did have a neat gadget: a generator-powered headlight. The generator was mounted to the front fork, and you could flip down so the tire would turn it. As long as you moved, you had light. No weaknesses with that design.

This evening, I broke in my new bike after a miserable day at work. With no warm up, I decided to go at about 80-100% for the whole ride, which was maybe not a great idea because I'm on weekday diet rules. Except for a couple of spots where I took some pictures, I was averaging 17-18 MPH for several miles at a time. No headwind or tailwind, which is rare for this path.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'll get my phone/GPS mount on there, and I'll fiddle with the seatpost reflector so I can fit on an under-seat bag.

Seventeen miles in one hour. For me, that's pretty good. I can't wait to really stretch it out. Dam, I really like this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.

tarlibone posted:

it did have a neat gadget: a generator-powered headlight. The generator was mounted to the front fork, and you could flip down so the tire would turn it.