Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

How are u posted:

I assume the only way to handle the Russian troops at the NPP at this point is to surround it and starve them out.
I think there are still Ukrainian NPP workers.

Another smoking related incident
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1560331461135417345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dwesa posted:

I think there are still Ukrainian NPP workers.

Another smoking related incident
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1560331461135417345

Significantly, whereas these previous major supply depot attacks were in Crimea and other occupied territory, this is the first one inside Russia itself.

I guess the terrible state of Russian security at these sites shouldn't come as much of a surprise (assuming at this point this is the work of infiltration teams planting explosives), but still, it's pretty amazing that these facilities aren't more locked down after what happened in Crimea.

*edit for clarity*

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 18, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

Significantly, whereas these previous attacks were in Crimea and other occupied territory, this is the first one inside Russia itself.

I guess the terrible state of Russian security at these sites shouldn't come as much of a surprise (assuming at this point this is the work of infiltration teams planting explosives), but still, it's pretty amazing that these facilities aren't more locked down after what happened in Crimea.

First one in the last couple of weeks, you mean.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chalks posted:

Significantly, whereas these previous attacks were in Crimea and other occupied territory, this is the first one inside Russia itself.

Not true! Ukraine sent helis into Belgorod to rocket pod a few things months ago

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

First one in the last couple of weeks, you mean.

Have we had large scale ammo depot attacks on Russian soil previously? My understanding is that these tactics started with the HIMARS strikes in recently occupied areas, followed by the recent attacks against bases in Crimea, but I may be mistaken.

I'm aware of the handful of helicopter incursions against oil depots and a couple of minor missile strikes against targets within Russia but near the border, but I don't think anyone was claiming they had much strategic significance - certainly but none of this massive destruction of ammo and fuel stockpiles we're seeing now.

*edit* I see that my original post was unclear, I will clarify

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yes ukraine has been blowing up poo poo in russia semi-regularly for months now. also a bit in belarus (supposedly) but if that is indeed them then they've been very restrained about it

also belgorod is near the border and indeed is the same place that they were blowing stuff up in russia previously (because Russia routes a significant amount of their materiel and munitions and troops through there)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Considering that Belarus hasn’t even tried making serious noise about Ukraine blowing anything there, it’s probably actual accidents, if there was anything of the sort. Although it wouldn’t be above Lukashenko to figure out how to stay quite about that as 5D chess move to say that he’s not awestruck with Putin’s war.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lukashenko is currently keeping the belarusian armed forces in position to repel a polish/latvian/lithuanian invasion that is no doubt imminent and very critical to avert

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lukashenko is currently keeping the belarusian armed forces in position to repel a polish/latvian/lithuanian invasion that is no doubt imminent and very critical to avert

It's the only thing preventing reabsorption of Belarus into a reborn Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth! All those people with Pohonya flags are not exactly hiding their goals, are they?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Another bonfire, Stary Oskol is also a bit further from the border

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1560353028451999744

Seems like there is a fair amount of activity tonight

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1560358564014743554

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

the popes toes posted:

Come to think of it, yes, this is exactly what I look for in a staunch ally.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1560015797367488517?cxt=HHwWioCy4caGpaYrAAAA

I scrolled through maybe 100 retweets / comments and didn’t even see a single one that says a PM should not be allowed to ever do anything besides work and (maybe) sleep. The summary headline about "critics” seems kind of… fabricated, whole cloth?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Belbek and Kerch are a long way from Ukrainian positions. I guess you could fly a TB2 to Belbek but other than that I don't know what Ukraine has that could get there. Nothing should really be able to reach Kerch given that you have to cross a lot of Russian-occupied airspace.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The reports of a strike at Belbek could be a big deal if they're accurate, but there are a bunch of conflicting accounts so it may turn out to be nothing.

https://twitter.com/maria_avdv/status/1560369163222323204

*edit* removed a video that reported to be of that attack since replies are saying it's an old video

*update* Looks like Belbek is nothing significant, explosions heard were likely air defences engaging something:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1560374494325268487

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 18, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Owling Howl posted:

Belbek and Kerch are a long way from Ukrainian positions. I guess you could fly a TB2 to Belbek but other than that I don't know what Ukraine has that could get there. Nothing should really be able to reach Kerch given that you have to cross a lot of Russian-occupied airspace.

Any of Ukraine’s fixed wing air craft could get there easily; however, that seems like a pretty crazy and semi-suicidal trip to take.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Saladman posted:

I scrolled through maybe 100 retweets / comments and didn’t even see a single one that says a PM should not be allowed to ever do anything besides work and (maybe) sleep. The summary headline about "critics” seems kind of… fabricated, whole cloth?

There's one outraged Finn, I think. But usually Finnish outrage is when they move like a meter farther from you at the bus stop so it's probably fake.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

God destroying 20+ planes over a two week period is just insane. I mean that's a lot of loving sorties that can't be run or will be run with less planes. Which means more AA per plane.

If Russia continues to lose ammo and planes the war is going to go to hell in a very short window. Orders come to assault with no CAS and no Ammo. That is absolutely the worst outcome for a Frontline soldier to he under. Especially if Ukraine knocks the AA out. Ukrianian planes will be able to fly freely and achieve air control. Not superiority but control.

And BLOW. THAT. BRIDGE.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

HonorableTB posted:

What are the chances that Russia's probably going to try a false flag by attacking the nuke plant and blaming Ukraine for it? I'm 50/50 on it

They're absolutely telegraphing their willingness to blow it up in the hopes that the threat will force Ukraine into accepting Russian conquest. It's a stupid strategy but they're trying it. And the danger is that trying that kind of dumb blackmail brinksmanship has the effect of talking yourself into doing the stupid thing. The more Russia makes threatening gestures at the NPP to no great effect, the more they'll come to believe they have to blow it up to show they really mean business.

The fact it's an apocalyptically stupid plan that will backfire instantly won't stop them. That's the whole story of this dumb loving war.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Often Abbreviated posted:

They're absolutely telegraphing their willingness to blow it up in the hopes that the threat will force Ukraine into accepting Russian conquest. It's a stupid strategy but they're trying it. And the danger is that trying that kind of dumb blackmail brinksmanship has the effect of talking yourself into doing the stupid thing. The more Russia makes threatening gestures at the NPP to no great effect, the more they'll come to believe they have to blow it up to show they really mean business.

The fact it's an apocalyptically stupid plan that will backfire instantly won't stop them. That's the whole story of this dumb loving war.

I keep saying this because I think it goes without saying, but again… if the Russian Federation causes a radiological disaster it would be turning civilian nuclear power plants into a weapon of mass destruction, and it would be the equivalent of just using a nuclear weapon.

There would be serious international consequences that go beyond just sanctions. Not to mention they’d literally be blowing 95% of the fallout back onto the Russian Federation.

Russians know this, and if Putin and the Russian military are the tiniest bit rational they will never do it.

That doesn’t mean they won’t blow up a turbine, or threaten to blow up reactors—just like with the nuclear saber rattling—but they will not do anything that causes a reactor vessel to breach or radiological contamination.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZombieLenin posted:

That doesn’t mean they won’t blow up a turbine, or threaten to blow up reactors—just like with the nuclear saber rattling—but they will not do anything that causes a reactor vessel to breach or radiological contamination.

Putin won't deliberately order it, that I'll grant.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I don't disagree with any of the detail, and you could well be right that they only blow up the NPP a little bit as a further threat (blowing up a turbine), but one of the big lessons of this fiasco is that these people do not always act in a way that we consider rational. They don't think like we do. Spreading a cloud of radioactive fallout over your own country and triggering a massive international response is utterly, unbelievable stupid and irrational but they will do it anyway if they feel Russia's feelings have been sufficiently hurt.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Saladman posted:

People who don't like her hate this. People who like her support her on this. People who are meh on her are meh on this.

There's some confusion about what's being said on the video. Some say it's "jauhojengi" which translates to "flour gang" which is, uh, weird? This has been taken as a reference to cocaine. Marin has said she's fine with taking a drug test. Another take is that it's "jallujengi" which means "booze gang".

Either way it's a total waste of time. Nobody seriously thinks that a young mother and PM is a cocainist, they just want attention.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So.. Ukraine were working on a long range missile. What's the odds like on them being given enough technical assistance to have started being able to assemble them? Or maybe a nice little GPS guidance package that took a few months, but is now adapted to work?
Or if say, a selection of most of the parts for, just for example, an old long range missile that fit in, say, a HIMARS pod. Maybe it needed some assembling and explosives and fuel adding. Then you could stick a 'Made in Ukraine' sticker on it and everything.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OzyMandrill posted:

So.. Ukraine were working on a long range missile. What's the odds like on them being given enough technical assistance to have started being able to assemble them? Or maybe a nice little GPS guidance package that took a few months, but is now adapted to work?
O.

This seems to be a definite possibility. The problem is that none of the sites have shown any video or audio of such missiles.

The problem with saboteurs is how did they carry all the explosives -- even if they're detonating found munitions the craters etc. Are too regular.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This seems to be a definite possibility. The problem is that none of the sites have shown any video or audio of such missiles.

The problem with saboteurs is how did they carry all the explosives -- even if they're detonating found munitions the craters etc. Are too regular.

I'm almost positive that at one of the munitions sites, it was night, you could see AA missiles going up. Which implies...

e: or maybe it was just AA at one of the bridges.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The long range ones are ballistic and would have no rocket plume on descent at supersonic speeds. Would just be a faint line on a camera if anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OzyMandrill posted:

Or if say, a selection of most of the parts for, just for example, an old long range missile that fit in, say, a HIMARS pod. Maybe it needed some assembling and explosives and fuel adding. Then you could stick a 'Made in Ukraine' sticker on it and everything.

Vova, please! It's not ATACMS, but АТАКМС, a completely unrelated, locally developed missile.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’ve fallen off the thread and just wanna see where things are. The only content I’ve really been following is from the YouTuber Perun who talks more about procurement and economics of the ukraine war (which is actually pretty fascinating but are not necessarily war updates).

Last I checked in, Russia was still making progress in taking over the Donbas. Crimea is out and a lot of the southeast major coastal cities are Russian controlled?

My impression last time was that Russia was still making territorial gains slowly but consistently? If that was the case back then, is that still the case now?

And on the wider scope, Finland and Sweden are still waiting for NATO membership but Turkey is probably going to want Kurds extradited? Did Hungary eventually agree to membership?

And lastly, if there’a a reputable YT channel dedicated to making periodic war updates I’d like a link to it that way I bother the thread less.

Thanks all

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You would probably keep that secret for as long as possible to limit the chance that Russia can take precautions and sniff out production facilities.

Still not really any definite or convincing explanations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1560358564014743554

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

buglord posted:

I’ve fallen off the thread and just wanna see where things are. The only content I’ve really been following is from the YouTuber Perun who talks more about procurement and economics of the ukraine war (which is actually pretty fascinating but are not necessarily war updates).

Last I checked in, Russia was still making progress in taking over the Donbas. Crimea is out and a lot of the southeast major coastal cities are Russian controlled?

My impression last time was that Russia was still making territorial gains slowly but consistently? If that was the case back then, is that still the case now?

And on the wider scope, Finland and Sweden are still waiting for NATO membership but Turkey is probably going to want Kurds extradited? Did Hungary eventually agree to membership?

And lastly, if there’a a reputable YT channel dedicated to making periodic war updates I’d like a link to it that way I bother the thread less.

Thanks all

Russian advanced have mostly stalled since Ukraine gained longer-ranged artillery and also apparently even more courage because they've been blowing up stuff behind Russian lines, to the point that one of Crimea's Russian airports was blasted to pieces with a lot of planes lost.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, the pessimistic edge of the conversation is no longer "the Russian advance, slow though it may be, will never stop, will it? :smith:".

The pessimistic take is now "ok, they have stopped and we're starting to talk about a Ukraine counteroffensive, but lets get realistic, what areas can Russians really be pushed out of, and how quickly? There's probably some places they will be dug in for a long time, right? :ohdear:"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
In today's New Yorker, a detailed photojournalism piece on the domestic costs of Russian war:

Russia’s Republic of Grief
One of the country’s poorest regions, Dagestan, is also the region that has lost the most men to the war in Ukraine.

quote:

[...]
Chokhkommuna is a small village that lies high up in the mountains in the center of the republic. The roads there wind up and down steep serpentines. From parts of the village, you can look down at Gunib, a picturesque fortress that featured prominently in the Caucasian War of the nineteenth century. Imam Shamil, the leader of the Chechen and Daghestani tribes, made his last stand against the Russians at Gunib, before surrendering on August 25, 1859.

Today, on a stone wall near the village, one finds a poster of seven soldiers from the region who were killed during the operation in Ukraine. One is a portrait of Gusein Gasimov, a beautiful, thin young man with sharp, almost feminine features. Gusein signed a military contract less than a year ago; when he died in Ukraine, on March 6th, he was twenty-three years old. According to the village’s administration, some streets there will be renamed after him.

[...]

The posters are everywhere. In Tabasaranskiy Rayon, one of the poorest areas of Dagestan, you see them again and again, the faces blurring together. The roads here are gravel and slink through the mountains. The land is a bright, saturated green, and little hills and forests bloom with purple flowers.

There are so many funerals that one runs into them by accident. At one crossroads, a column of cars blocked the way: relatives of a soldier who had recently died in Ukraine. The body had just been brought in an ambulance. The cars wound their way to a small, scenic village named Nitchras; in accordance with Muslim tradition, the body was washed and taken to the family home. The cries of women could be heard from outside the walls. After family members had said their goodbyes, the body was carried by the men toward the cemetery. The dead man’s name was Rustamov Munir Zalbegovitch. He was forty years old.

Click through for some excellent reporting and photography.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

In today's New Yorker, a detailed photojournalism piece on the domestic costs of Russian war:

Russias Republic of Grief
One of the countrys poorest regions, Dagestan, is also the region that has lost the most men to the war in Ukraine.

Click through for some excellent reporting and photography.

Thanks for posting this, I was recently wondering if there was any reporting or information about how the republics are bearing the cost of the war. As a side note, if anyone else has any information about how outsourcing military casualties to the republics and minorities has happened previously, please post it here. That would be useful reading

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Dagestanis, of course, are extremely likely to face discrimination if they ever try to get jobs in other parts of "Russia", often not being considered people of "Slavic appearance".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rigel posted:

Yeah, the pessimistic edge of the conversation is no longer "the Russian advance, slow though it may be, will never stop, will it? :smith:".

The pessimistic take is now "ok, they have stopped and we're starting to talk about a Ukraine counteroffensive, but lets get realistic, what areas can Russians really be pushed out of, and how quickly? There's probably some places they will be dug in for a long time, right? :ohdear:"

The biggest change is really "how is Ukraine blowing up Crimea when they didn't have the capacity before nor was anyone willing to give it to them?". Because these recent strikes are surprising everyone.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

FishBulbia posted:

Wait, so the plant is still providing power to Ukraine? This is kinda hilarious. They can't make up their mind if this is a special operation or total war.

there are logistical difficulties, but supposedly russia is planning on making the switch soon

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/08/9/7362536/

it isn't touch on in the article, but i have heard it suggested that during the power grid switch the reactor's pumps will be relying entirely on the emergency diesel generators. if for some reason the supply of diesel is interrupted, or the generators have issues before the plant is reconnected to the crimean grid, there is a large risk of reenacting fukushima. certainly not an operation that should be carried out in an active war zone, incredibly reckless if they actually go through with it

sznurowadlo
Aug 20, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Your perseverance is commendable. Thank you for doing that.

Re refugees status in Poland and their plans. My parents hosted two families in their house (i.e. mother and their children) and from this small simple I can gather that:
- half will stay and try to build a new life in PL, half went back to Ukraine or other country,
- huge challenge is for Ukrainians to learn Polish.

You need to have at least decent command of if you are attending ground or high school. Some kids are quickly caching on but some are not or are unwilling to learn. Unfortunate the state did not provide any polish learning courses during spring and summer months. It was up to local government (in a very limited scope) or each individual to search for this opportunity and subsequently bear the costs.

For those who will stay their success will demand in a very huge way how well they integrate. It is true that the cultures in Central and Eastern Europe are quite similar and additionally we have much shared history with Ukrainians, Belarusian and Lithuanians. But past is not present and there is much to do by both parties.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

buglord posted:

Thanks all

Perun is indeed a good YTer to follow.

The war for the Russians; isn't necessarily going in their favour, with minimal to negative gains along the front.

No sign of a Ukrainian counter offensive in the traditional sense outside of the limited one in the Kherson region but they are degrading russian command and supply infrastructure quite nicely.

edit: Hungary & Turkey will get "deals" to keep them on track.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Considering that Belarus hasn’t even tried making serious noise about Ukraine blowing anything there, it’s probably actual accidents, if there was anything of the sort. Although it wouldn’t be above Lukashenko to figure out how to stay quite about that as 5D chess move to say that he’s not awestruck with Putin’s war.

I wouldnt count on this being an indicator of anything. While russians are happy to consider an enormous explosion their own fuckup, Luka can't do it. His self image is all about order and how without his control everything will fall apart. Thus making any kind of noise will show that his control has failed.

If you want my opinion, Ukranians are being clever. They caused real honest to god attacks on Crimea with who knows what weapons while being coy and congratulating cigarettes, while messaging Luka "we can do the same in Belarus too. You better behave."