Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

what the hell is up with the books iphone app

You tore your skinny jeans while playing frisbee golf with Mark Zuckerberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bumped into my "neighbours" (from across the busy street, about 100m away) at the station (they go there to drink, I go there to buy a sandwich), and they told me they have so many books that they always leave some there for travelers to pick up or swap, and that people seemed to be snagging them up at a good pace.

I couldn't bring myself to tell them it was me. I'm the travelers who took all the books. Except the ones in German. (I do occasionally leave something because I have a lot of duplicates due to most of my relatives being dead.)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
we have a neighborhood book box thing here in the area that skews towards more the shittier old white people and I've been gradually stopping by to drop my junior high reading off (MTG novels and A People's History of the USA lol) there and pick up stuff that interests me (mostly there's slim pickings tho outside of like, old Goosebumps and Oprah Book Club stuff, found a decent Bette Davis bio and a book on the 1968 DC uprisings)
Hoping some old guy is getting his mind blown by Zinn's analysis of the Civil War, or THE MAGICAL WORLD OF MIRRODIIIIN

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

here's a sweet little story about a dude who found a business card in a used book:
https://noctslackv2.wordpress.com/2022/08/02/whats-the-strangest-thing-you-ever-found-in-a-book/

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

look at that subtle off-white coloring; the tasteful thickness of it... oh my god, it even has a watermark

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that feeling on the softness of your thumb on the edge of the callous, just rifling the leaves....

brb library

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once found a hundred marks of my own money inside a book. It was a lot of money for a kid and I have no idea why I'd decided to put it there (it wasnt like a bookmark, none of it was showing). What if I'd never decided to re-read Sherlock Holmes?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I once found a hundred marks of my own money inside a book. It was a lot of money for a kid and I have no idea why I'd decided to put it there (it wasnt like a bookmark, none of it was showing). What if I'd never decided to re-read Sherlock Holmes?

its pretty great to find a unexpected money in your pocket

way back i read a thing about giving your future self presents (i think it was about stocking up your pantry?), anyway i started putting like a 100kr bill in my jacket when winter approached, as a present for the spring me. sadly i came to expect the secret pocket money so twice was enough. those early days, though, that version of me who gave me money for no reason was cool

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I heard there's a book barn discord? I poked around but none of the links I found were still active

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TheCog posted:

I heard there's a book barn discord? I poked around but none of the links I found were still active

https://discord.gg/636qwhqb

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just started watching Severance and I swear I read a science fiction short story with the same premise. I think maybe it involved a private detective investigating himself or something? Anyone know what I'm talking about, feels like it might be a PKD work but my brain is saying maybe it's an early GRRM piece.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Just started watching Severance and I swear I read a science fiction short story with the same premise. I think maybe it involved a private detective investigating himself or something? Anyone know what I'm talking about, feels like it might be a PKD work but my brain is saying maybe it's an early GRRM piece.

Paycheck

"Paycheck" posted:

Jennings, a talented electronic engineer, has accepted a secret contract with Rethrick Construction. The terms of the contract state that he will work for two years on a secret project after which he will have his memory of the time erased and will be paid an inordinate sum. It is implied that this type of working contract has replaced non-disclosure agreements in business and is commonplace.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

You could also be thinking of A Scanner Darkly by PKD, which is about a cop splitting his pysche and investigating himself.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yeah, it must be A Scanner Darkly. Sure thought it was a short story for some reason but memory is a fickle thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I almost never spend any time on the veranda unless I'm soldering or something, but today after work I spent maybe three hours there, reading and listening to the trees and birds. (And cars. And a loud lady speaking Spanish.)

Now my back is killing me lmao. I need to sort out a good veranda reading chair. Don't want to cram a sofa I there.

e: Why is no-one selling proper kitchen sofas anymore :( Ikea has one named as such but it isn't shaped like one. I don't want to put anything upholstered there because it gets humid in the Winter.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 12, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/MrHolness/status/1559831714582740993?s=20&t=XWbEW0lXL86tPdh5stoumg

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Even in my head saying "TerrorTome" has reverb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

First time I've ever preordered a book.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Van Veen is such a prick lmao

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So many sequels I’m looking forward to this upcoming months. The Locked Tomb, Scholomance, October Daye. I can’t wait

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Am I crazy or did I read somewhere that Neil Gaiman had a solution to the Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter riddle "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"

could have sworn he did but googling turns up nothing

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

Am I crazy or did I read somewhere that Neil Gaiman had a solution to the Alice in Wonderland Mad Hatter riddle "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"

could have sworn he did but googling turns up nothing

'Poe wrote on both' is one I heard long ago and I'm not sure where

E: drat, hard finding the origin of that answer but def not Gaiman

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 29, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

'Poe wrote on both' is one I heard long ago and I'm not sure where

yeah wasn't him though

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Is there an actual term for when an author's tone is out of sync with the subject they are writing about? Thinking in particular of when they very matter of factly bring up something shocking. E.g. "I woke up early that morning. A decapitated body lay on the sofa. I checked the refrigerator to see if we had milk"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

interestingly enough we talked about existentialism vis a vis Albert Camus' The Stranger and how the translations for America were different from the British (where the latter used terms like "he shook my hand warmly" vs the very cold and direct former)

that doesn't answer your question but yeah

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Daduzi posted:

Is there an actual term for when an author's tone is out of sync with the subject they are writing about? Thinking in particular of when they very matter of factly bring up something shocking. E.g. "I woke up early that morning. A decapitated body lay on the sofa. I checked the refrigerator to see if we had milk"

"Tonal dissonance."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if ur writing a videogame instead of a book it's ludonarrative dissonance

e: wait that's a little more different

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if ur writing a videogame instead of a book it's ludonarrative dissonance

e: wait that's a little more different

Yeah, ludonarrative dissonance is when the gameplay and the narrative disagree -- e.g. the narrator describes your character as a pacifist but "kick all of your enemies out of skyscraper windows to their deaths" is a valid gameplay style, or the dialogue tells you that the dark lord is on the verge of completing the spell of dominion but there is no actual mechanical disincentive to spending the next 100 hours cleaning up sidequests while the dark lord chills out waiting for you to show up "in the nick of time".

The narrative tone and narrative content being at odds is different and I think "tonal dissonance" is a fine term for it. I believe tvtropes calls it "mood dissonance", which I don't like as much.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is there a John Milton thread anywhere? or where would the best place be to discuss him? New thread maybe?

I am working up to Paradise Lost and just finished Lycidas and was blown away, what an incredible poem. I'd also like to be able to discuss Paradise Lost as I go through it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is a literature thread I suppose it goes there

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Gaius Marius posted:

There is a literature thread I suppose it goes there

The "quit being a loving child" thread? Okay, I thought there might be one more narrow in scope. I was surprised it was never a book of the month - I went through like 15 years of archives.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
that thread has the most embarrassing title in history and i've never been in there for that reason

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
i haven't been to that thread because i am a loving child and don't read that poo poo lol

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s actually a very chill thread to post with your friends, or at least it’s been like that for the past few years. Don’t let the title put you off.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It’s actually a very chill thread to post with your friends, or at least it’s been like that for the past few years. Don’t let the title put you off.

Yeah, title really doesn't represent the hard-core nerds inside. I found it very friendly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

moonmazed posted:

that thread has the most embarrassing title in history and i've never been in there for that reason

If anyone can say it's wrong, they'll probably change it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The title made me laugh when I first saw it. It's really just the classic lit discussion thread

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any articles talking candidly about what it's like being an audiobook narrator?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FPyat posted:

Any articles talking candidly about what it's like being an audiobook narrator?

"yeah, and then i sat in a booth and read a book out for 40 hours. it was really dull and nothing else happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Clicking on amazon pages for books in google search always results in "Sorry! Page Not Found."