Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
angela's gonna show up with an axe and get busy tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This fool is pretty great

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I just heard about this show yesterday on a podcast and watched the first three episodes last night, and 4 & 5 just now. What convenient timing for a finale.

Love it, I’ve never seen Nathan For You so I don’t have much context for his work, but am glad that this completely bizarre little show exists.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Judaism is just some pretend thing." :lol:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
god that mother was such a bitch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
as a parent of a 6 year old, this is absolutely brutal. good lord

you hosed up nathan! you hosed up!

maybe this is also fake too i dunno god drat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I don't want you to be Athan, I want you to be daddy!" Aww, I feel bad for this kid :ohdear:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Just friending your fake son

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

what a weird loving show. this episode is torture

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

biceps crimes posted:

what a weird loving show. this episode is torture
Seriously. I'm laughing, but man this is awkward.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh my god he’s gonna make this kid do dr fart

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fake Angela's back!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh my god lollll

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Nathan what

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, what is going on :stare:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
'did you get enough'
me : oh no. nooo

oh my god the mirror

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The hand tattoo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:psyboom:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
No.

I'm your dad.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Holy moly!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

this is the most deeply uncomfortable ive ever been watching an episode of tv

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Very happy I could have guessed about 10% of what was gonna happen.

Jesus

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Baron von Eevl posted:

No.

I'm your dad.

that kid should get a ton of hollywood parts after being able to roll with that. god drat he killed it for being a 9 year old

all the 6 year olds fielder hired are absolutely going to be hosed up .good work nathan. maybe they faked it but man it sure didn't seem like that kid was making up those emotions

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That was definitely more emotional of a finale than I expected from this saga

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There isn't a horror director alive or dead who could have set up the feelings of dread I had watching the last half of that episode.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

That was definitely more emotional of a finale than I expected from this saga

Yeah, as a new parent this was a lot of whiplash between watery eyes and disbelieving laughter. What a loving show.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This whole thing is too hosed. I feel terrible for Remy but his mom really should not have put him in that situation and told the crew he was a child actor if he didn’t understand what acting was.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
For a second I thought that last fake Adam was Nathan Fielders actual son lol

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

This whole thing is too hosed. I feel terrible for Remy but his mom really should not have put him in that situation and told the crew he was a child actor if he didn’t understand what acting was.

does any six year old really understand what acting is?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Wonder what that new york times reviewer thought of this episode.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

the shot of adult 6 year old adam taking a smoke break outside the window in costume lmao

shout out to ending the show on nathan’s rear end crack too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

inferis posted:

My kiddo's 5 and definitely understands acting, and that actors are the people who pretend to be the characters in movies. We were at a birthday party and they had hired two probably highschool girls come out as Anna and Elsa from Frozen and do a little schtick in character and read a book form of Frozen to the kids. They came out and I asked my kid "do you think that's the real Anna and Elsa" and they immediately said no. I was like "right, those people are only acting" and they interrupted to say "yeah! They're the actors that played Anna and Elsa in Frozen!" and then got real starstruck.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Confusedslight posted:

Wonder what that new york times reviewer thought of this episode.

Probably that they were vindicated. Nathan made compelling television by exploiting a child's trauma.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What on earth

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That's gonna do some damage.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This is a fuckin' weird show and it's better for it.

Can't bring myself to analyse the ending scenes beyond that leaving the shots showing the rear end crack is a clear nod that no rehearsal is perfect, there'll always be small details that ruin the moment. But woof, what an episode.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Before he became a mom, it felt like he might stop accelerating it to the skid. Then it became horrific and then sad and amazing.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
What the gently caress Nathan lmfao

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

this made me extremely uncomfortable

looking forward to season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

as a parent of a 6 year old, this is absolutely brutal. good lord

Yeah, that first 10 minutes was heartbreaking (dad of 8 year old twins + 3 year old here)

inferis posted:

Yeah, on some level they do, at least in abstract. Like my kids would talk about recognizing some actor playing different parts in different shows or that one would be doing VO in a cartoon then acting in another.

I think where it gets really murky IMO is prolonged and direct exposure to that artifice, which is what happened here to an extreme degree of immersion, especially with Remy and the older 8-9 yro Adam.

Nathan admits as much throughout the season about himself and he's a guy in his late 30's (although that could obviously be fake and just saying it, it sure looked legit). I rewatched his rehearsal for The Rehearsal, "Finding Francis," again today, he says a line over narration when he's out with Maci he will return to in this show: "the more we kept shooting things, the harder it became to tell where the show ended and the life began."

I also wasn't really cognizant of it until I was a parent and it seems really obvious, but the difference in understanding and maturity, sometimes between 1-1.5 years is staggering.

Kids at 5-6 can understand that they're playing on some level, however they can still also really immerse themselves in play (see the numerous examples of some kid wearing a full costume of something in public because to them in that moment or few hours, they ARE that character and will not accept or respond to being addressed as themselves.) Remy's mom probably told him he would be "playing" a role as the son, but given his painful awareness that he doesn't have one and heartbreaking desire for a father in his life, I can easily see where the fiction becomes overwhelmingly hard to dissociate despite knowing it's not true.

tldr: this show is amazing and I can't think of another piece of media that moved me in so many different and unexpected ways