Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I remember having this Superman annual* as a kid.

*= It would have been a UK type annual. Which would have been a big hardback, A4 size book which got released around Christmas time. It would have had three or four comic stories in it along with a couple of text only stories, maybe with random appropriate artwork and some puzzles/draw your own sections.

It had this whole section about the Phantom Zone and the evolution of Kryptionan justice systems.

Basically they tried a bunch of things. As a society they quickly outlawed the death penalty on Krypton. They then used to put people in stasis where they minds got rehabilitated/had the evil drained out of them into crystals before that became unpopular and outlawed.

The Phantom Zone seemed to be a "this will be the punishment phase of your sentence. We will try and rehabilitate you after we take you out."
But it also seemed to have an added degree of cruelty that advanced societies pretend not to have, but secretly relish.
Like how Phantom Zone criminals seem to constantly be allowed communicate with the real world as some form of ongoing parole only to be constantly denied.
Or how it is judged as being humane, since you can't age or be harmed inside. But there are all those monsters that attack and hurt (but not kill) the inmates.

Honestly I think part of the point of the Phantom Zone was this flawed idea that if you do your spell there, you will be too scared to want to commit crime again. Which as we all know, is not how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also they through their problems in a box and are shocked when they don’t just get better.

Krypton really is earth

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I remember during infinite crisis they do a “what if” where Earth 2 and Earth 1 Superman switch bodies. Earth 2 Superman uses the phantom zone sparingly at first but then starts locking every villain in it. Luthor frees everyone and turns them into OMACs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

WB Animation is doing an adaptation of The Doom that Came to Gotham which could be cool as long as they don't just do it in their basic rear end animation style.

For a hot second i thought you were talking about Thanos and Darkseid: Carpool Buddies of Doom http://plasticfarm.com/2016/04/thanos-and-darkseid-carpool-buddies-of-doom/2/

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 26, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WB Animation is doing an adaptation of The Doom that Came to Gotham which could be cool as long as they don't just do it in their basic rear end animation style.

Oh drat, that was one of my first comics, I might have to watch that. I doubt they won't use their standard style though, which is a shame since I would absolutely be all over it if it looked like The Amazing Screw-On Head.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

If they do it in anything besides the original Mignola style no one will buy it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
harley s3 starts today, first 3 eps out

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

drrockso20 posted:

If they do it in anything besides the original Mignola style no one will buy it

Now I want a hellboy animated series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thelaughingman posted:

Now I want a hellboy animated series.

There's some animated films, Ron Pearlman does the voice even, IIRC.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have to admit, with everything going on with WB right now, I'm worried about Batman: Caped Crusader. I don't think they've talked too much about it, so it seems like the kind of thing they'd put on the chopping block.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
The Rise of the TMNT movie came out on netflix yesterday. It's very, very good.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
It's pretty fuckin sick

https://twitter.com/jj_conway/status/1555806439859372033?t=DvavhJhfD8w8-WMBk0JhVw&s=19

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Harley Quinn brings back Matt Ryan as John Constantine, for like two seconds.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://gizmodo.com/dc-universe-young-justice-warner-discovery-hbo-max-1849426104

God loving damnit gently caress you Zaslav just let the story finish itself! :negative:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jiro posted:

https://gizmodo.com/dc-universe-young-justice-warner-discovery-hbo-max-1849426104

God loving damnit gently caress you Zaslav just let the story finish itself! :negative:

It seems kind of bone headed just looking at the scores

Like it looks like only Arcane has done better.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
gently caress Harley Quinn js probably next

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Don't worry, I'm sure it's all according to the lights plan!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jiro posted:

The source on this is someone claiming he wasn't told of a Season 5 for YJ. This is what has been said on Twitter for months now.

I'm pretty sure it's still up in the air, not entirely cancelled. Yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure it's all according to the lights plan!

The plan is that the show gets canceled every two seasons and then returns years down the line

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

The source on this is someone claiming he wasn't told of a Season 5 for YJ. This is what has been said on Twitter for months now.

I'm pretty sure it's still up in the air, not entirely cancelled. Yet.

Weisman probably would say something. He's used to this sort of thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can really tell the animation budget for this season of Harley Quinn got absolutely slashed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress Harley Quinn js probably next

Probably a mercy. This season has not been good.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

AlternateNu posted:

Probably a mercy. This season has not been good.

gently caress I've been hearing that. God dammit. I loved the first two so much.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

gently caress I've been hearing that. God dammit. I loved the first two so much.

Same here. I've been impressed with Cuoco's delivery, but this season is kinda meh.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
This feels a lot like the first few episodes of season 1, where the show is still funny, but it needs an overarching plot, and Ivy wanting to re-plant the world isn't as interesting as "Gotham is now run by the crime bosses"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
but... the ivy replanting the world thing isn't the plot, it's Harley and ivy figuring out their relationship

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
the Ivy replanting the world thing is the backbone plot that furthers the relationship stuff, they tend to go on wacky adventures due to Ivy's new goal.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wound up reading a bunch of classic X-Men comics, and that pushed me towards finally rewatching the 90s animated series, mainly because those are the definitive voices of the characters to me. There's definitely a lot of over-acting and exaggeration, but that's kind of the point; to really give off the sense of a diverse cast despite only being a bunch of canadian VAs. Some of the highlights are Xavier sounding kinda snotty and upperclass, Magneto having a bit of a european accent (which may be the only time he has an accent in an audio adaptation?), and Wolverine sounding particularly animalistic and feral. And nobody could ever live up to Tony Jay as Apocalypse (including writers trying to do something with Apocalypse).

I'm only through the second season so far (and only halfway through the 80s in reading the comic) and the story structure reminds me a lot of Chris Claremont's writing style. Not exactly long, overarching narratives, but it's more sort of individual episodic stories that happen to be directly adjacent and just intersecting a bit between issues/episodes. The show probably had more of an idea of where it was going than Claremont did, but it still had to make things up on the fly. Managed to get some good drama in though. The anti-mutant nazis seem a lot more plausible now than they might've ten years ago, although they're still a bit over the top. The point I'm at in the comics hasn't gone in that direction yet.

Animation-wise, it's not all that great. I still dig a lot of the aesthetic because it embedded deeply within me when I was a kid, and it actually carries a lot of the style of the comic at the time, but it's very unoptimized for animation. Lots of details that have to be redrawn every frame, and when the artist doesn't get it quite right, you see the little wiggle. It's very different from comics where artists can pour themselves into every page. I think there might even be a lack of smearframes to enhance the feeling of motion. Which is one reason it looks poor next to Batman: The Animated Series and isn't as influential. It was more the brute-force approach to animation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The 90s X-Men series was a lot of good individual frames one after the other but I can't say it was great animation. The action always seemed kind of heavy and plodding.

As usual with every cartoon of the 80s and 90s the opening title sequence promised animation that never happened.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wound up reading a bunch of classic X-Men comics, and that pushed me towards finally rewatching the 90s animated series, mainly because those are the definitive voices of the characters to me. There's definitely a lot of over-acting and exaggeration, but that's kind of the point; to really give off the sense of a diverse cast despite only being a bunch of canadian VAs. Some of the highlights are Xavier sounding kinda snotty and upperclass, Magneto having a bit of a european accent (which may be the only time he has an accent in an audio adaptation?), and Wolverine sounding particularly animalistic and feral. And nobody could ever live up to Tony Jay as Apocalypse (including writers trying to do something with Apocalypse).

I'm only through the second season so far (and only halfway through the 80s in reading the comic) and the story structure reminds me a lot of Chris Claremont's writing style. Not exactly long, overarching narratives, but it's more sort of individual episodic stories that happen to be directly adjacent and just intersecting a bit between issues/episodes. The show probably had more of an idea of where it was going than Claremont did, but it still had to make things up on the fly. Managed to get some good drama in though. The anti-mutant nazis seem a lot more plausible now than they might've ten years ago, although they're still a bit over the top. The point I'm at in the comics hasn't gone in that direction yet.

Animation-wise, it's not all that great. I still dig a lot of the aesthetic because it embedded deeply within me when I was a kid, and it actually carries a lot of the style of the comic at the time, but it's very unoptimized for animation. Lots of details that have to be redrawn every frame, and when the artist doesn't get it quite right, you see the little wiggle. It's very different from comics where artists can pour themselves into every page. I think there might even be a lack of smearframes to enhance the feeling of motion. Which is one reason it looks poor next to Batman: The Animated Series and isn't as influential. It was more the brute-force approach to animation.

That’s John Colicos—Baltar in the original Battlestar Galactica—as Apocalypse. Tony Jay was Galactus on Fantastic Four and Baron Mordo on Spiderman, but he never did X-Men.

Totally agree about the voices. I can’t think of Bishop without hearing that one blues harmonica riff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rogue has one of the best southern accents I've heard on TV. I've lived in the south my entire life and sometimes actors from the south don't sound that good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Rogue has one of the best southern accents I've heard on TV. I've lived in the south my entire life and sometimes actors from the south don't sound that good.

You gon' do Gambit like that, mon ami?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

You gon' do Gambit like that, mon ami?

Gambit's acting admittedly did move up a notch when I heard the VA for Gambit in X-Men Legends whose actual first line is "Strange voodoo dauwn heah."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Magneto having a bit of a european accent (which may be the only time he has an accent in an audio adaptation?)

Sir Ian loving McKellen?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fassbender as well

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlternateNu posted:

Sir Ian loving McKellen?

51% of UK voters would object to calling him European.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also a whole thing where as opposed to Batman's very retro aesthetic, X-Men is at the end of a long like of superhero comics depicting people as having access to super high tech stuff for decades that they've basically forgotten what real technology is like so there's just ridiculous future tech everywhere. Not just the using laserguns instead of real guns, but things like the interior of the x-mansion being entirely metal, keypads everywhere, Xavier's floating chair, computer-watches, over vehicles, and the Genoshan military seems like it's something out of a Gundam series. I think it was also a big part of the 90s super-detailed aesthetic to have tech-bits everwhere.

Dawgstar posted:

Her VA also has the weirdest career of the ones I looked up, since for the past two years she's been in the Canandian parliament and for a decade before that she was in the government of Nova Scotia.

AlternateNu posted:

Sir Ian loving McKellen?

Okay an accent that would fit for somebody who would've been in the holocaust.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

SlothfulCobra posted:

Her VA also has the weirdest career of the ones I looked up, since for the past two years she's been in the Canandian parliament and for a decade before that she was in the government of Nova Scotia.
Well, she was elected in 2019, but lost her seat in 2021. That being said, I've been drinking with her and she's amazing.

quote:

Okay an accent that would fit for somebody who would've been in the holocaust.

I mean......

His accent does fit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, she was elected in 2019, but lost her seat in 2021. That being said, I've been drinking with her and she's amazing.

I mean......

His accent does fit

I think they meant geographically. Not a lot of queer people living in London were sent to German concentration camps. (Not that the brits were great about sexual minority groups, about it in the same period, look at Turing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skwirl posted:

51% of UK voters would object to calling him European.

Would they consider the Norwegians or Swiss European? :colbert:

Additionally, I'm not sure 51% of Brits would make the same call if they could do it over again. :v: