Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
was not expecting this finale to give me flashbacks to mayor kate but life is better with surprises

when people were mentioning the stuff earlier in the thread about the jews killed jesus thing pointing towards something angela said to the kid i kept wondering if it actually might have came from the real life parents, and it def seems more plausible now.

also lol, angela going out with a banger, goodbye my queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think my favorite small thing from this episode is nathan asking where she got the sweater and it feels like one of those classic awkward nathan changing the subject moments but is actually foreshadowing

i hope they do keep some of the fielder method actors around for season 2. i like the idea of his own troupe playing different roles in different rehearsals if they go back and do more kor style stuff. makes it feel like an expanded nathanverse.

this finale was a lot. i think people were expecting it to go bigger but this was probably a better ending than anything people had in their heads. not a twist reveal, but something geniuely emotional that the show interrogates using every technique we already seen.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I felt so bad for Remi. hopefully some of it is scripted because if not thats heartbreaking. I cant even be mad at the mom, shes a single mother and the paycheck was probably good for the amount of work involved.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

What an amazing rollercoaster of an episode.
Absolutely gutwrenching at points, but I also laughed so many times - the battery in the kitchen made me howl.

Feels like I gotta immediately rewatch the entire season now.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Rabid Snake posted:

I felt so bad for Remi. hopefully some of it is scripted because if not thats heartbreaking. I cant even be mad at the mom, shes a single mother and the paycheck was probably good for the amount of work involved.

She didn’t seem like she had bad intentions, and Remi seemed to enjoy the experience he’s still just insanely young and it’s hard to tell reality from fiction at that age. It seemed like he did understand it too when he explained it I think the kid just really liked Nathan and really wanted a dad. Super emotional episode from a super weird show.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
As a father of a six year old, this was loving hard to watch. It reached levels of absurdity I could never have anticipated and was an amazing rollercoaster.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The silent birthday party was loving hilarious

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

The silent birthday party was loving hilarious

Silent Ninja Turtle put it over the top.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its so funny after so much of the season the audience reaction has been about what is real and what is fake, and people having trouble with the separation of nathan the person and character... the finale is ends up actually dealing with that... but from the perspective of a 6 year old

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Angryhead posted:

What an amazing rollercoaster of an episode.
Absolutely gutwrenching at points, but I also laughed so many times - the battery in the kitchen made me howl.

Feels like I gotta immediately rewatch the entire season now.

The line where he's like "there's so much detail" when looking at the actual house a child lived in really cracked me up. I related to it after I spend a week straight basically working on this 3d project creating this little chunk of city, and looking at games I was playing for the little details and how to put it all together with my own junk, and after this prolonged period of hyperfixating on trying to create simulated details -- I was in the garage doing some laundry and started noticing all the great props and little bullshit scene clutter in there, hardly anything copy+pasted, nearly all unique meshes, some artificially repeating patterns but in a realistic manufacturing way.

The_Rob posted:

She didn’t seem like she had bad intentions, and Remi seemed to enjoy the experience he’s still just insanely young and it’s hard to tell reality from fiction at that age. It seemed like he did understand it too when he explained it I think the kid just really liked Nathan and really wanted a dad. Super emotional episode from a super weird show.

I'm thinking back to a NFY where he has an actress stare into his eyes and say "I love you" with him just repeating "again." Was part of the proto-rehearsal episode where they recreate a snippet of a night at a bar with smoking as part of a loophole where smoking is allowed if it's part of an artistic performance. Very different here, since Remy being happy to be loved by a father figure, after having like a genuinely fun time together like, they were acting but they were also still just doing what they'd be doing if they were just playing.

In 25 years it'll be interesting watch the Nathan Retrospective Special, check which businesses are still around after his help, if that kid ever made the big bucks hustling vapes, see if Kor ever lied about having a masters degree again, see if Remy has persistent issues trusting people will love him without it being facile and temporary.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wait wait wait

Is 7 being a Christian number the source of lucky number 7 :stare:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
that's the most uncomfortable ive been laughing at something in a long while. the pacing of the emotionally oof stuff and increasingly absurd comic relief was amazing. lol that loving 9V battery

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
That was a great show, but l, like other posters, also wish the concept had been a different episode 1 every week

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Just Now found out this existed and as a NFY fan, halfway through the finale, this is the work of a genius sociopath

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brigadier Sockface posted:

That was a great show, but l, like other posters, also wish the concept had been a different episode 1 every week

I can see this and I’m sure that was the original plan but oh my GOD I’m so happy he took it in this direction. Maybe not as many laughs as the other way but so much more bizarre and powerful and emotional

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i loved the complete lack of background noise in the scene of Nathan talking to good-actor 6 year old Adam, and then the sicko adult actor Adam scene had the most demented music of the show so far soundtracking it

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What did I miss about the battery? I just remember Nathan looking at it in the real house.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

snoremac posted:

What did I miss about the battery? I just remember Nathan looking at it in the real house.

nothing, it's just a ridiculous scene of nathan commenting on how the house is such an amazingly well-done "set" culminating on a close up shot of a goddamn mundane-rear end random 9V battery sitting on a counter

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I thought it was funny during rehearsal she appealed to his empathy and ethics and real Angela is like “no jesus is the only way and Jews are wrong”

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll just take my tea

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rabid Snake posted:

I dunno if my experience is common or helpful, but I'm a second grade teacher (so a little bit older then remi) and it's extremely common for kids to imprint upon you and basically treat you as their mom or dad. a lot of kids don't have good home lives, and absent parenting is very very common. very normal for kids to start crying at the end of the year when they realize you wont be their teacher anymore.

the helpful thing is, this is a normal part of growing up, and 100% of the kids I've known forget about you during summer break. I'm sure that kid is totally fine, and a few months later probably wont even remember nathan.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The bit with Nathan and 9 year old Adam going to Remy's house ostensibly to play and then leaving with Nathan saying "ok do you think you got enough?" was incredibly ominous.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Suprised the birthday party had that many kids able to not talk

I don’t own a child but the difference between the 9 year old fully 100% understanding everything at an adult level and the 6 year old being lost in lala land is weird to me.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 20, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ethics hand-wringers are gonna be hilarious about this one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My wife was thinking that Remy might have had some delays. I think ADHD is likely, maybe some minor delays as well.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mirello posted:

I dunno if my experience is common or helpful, but I'm a second grade teacher (so a little bit older then remi) and it's extremely common for kids to imprint upon you and basically treat you as their mom or dad. a lot of kids don't have good home lives, and absent parenting is very very common. very normal for kids to start crying at the end of the year when they realize you wont be their teacher anymore.

the helpful thing is, this is a normal part of growing up, and 100% of the kids I've known forget about you during summer break. I'm sure that kid is totally fine, and a few months later probably wont even remember nathan.

Lots of people talking about how the kid is going to need therapy and it's exploiting trauma, but it's more likely the Nathan = Daddy scenes are exaggerated for dramatic effect. The main reason I can tell is that the mother would have been much more distressed if it was a real issue; instead she's more stressed that her son is not cooperating. Of course he's going to cry when he leaves the fun pretend house. Good odds he sometimes cries the same way when having to leave his grandma's house. Playtime is over, and he's thinking it's back on when he sees Nathan again, and cries when it's not. The absent father figure might complicate things, but I'm also sure he's going to forget Nathan within the year.

Source: I'm a father of a young child + dude just trust me

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I really didn't like that episode. Like the stuff with the kid was sad, but the rehearsals of it wore out their welcome really quickly imo. Sure it's funny to see an adult pretending to be the kid, or to see Nathan as the mom, but it just felt like it went nowhere. Maybe I was wrong last week about them giving Angela a soft push out, because it felt like the show massively ran out of steam without her.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I just kept on saying "He's a loving sicko and I love it."

The silent birthday was the best purely comedic set piece but the stuff with the kid's mom reminded me of the NYF episodes when he starts second guessing some of the child actor parents. I think the mom here realizes by the end that this was not a great healthy experience for her child, but then again, even an ideal scenario, doing this type of immersive work (acting) can likely have weird effects.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Asking Remy's mom where she got the sweater and then what came next had me shook lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

My wife was thinking that Remy might have had some delays. I think ADHD is likely, maybe some minor delays as well.

Maybe but I’m not sure it’s cool to speculate on what developmental disorders a six year old you only saw via a heavily edited 30 minute episode of television may have

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Dr Farts is a misunderstood genius. This episode was heart-breaking.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Love that Nathan went full Synecdoche at the end with the gender switch.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Was the actress playing Nathan-as-Remy's-mom's-mom also from his acting class as the woman who worked at the auto shop? Thomas popped up in the bar again last week so I had my fingers crossed we'd see him one last time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

drunken officeparty posted:

Suprised the birthday party had that many kids able to not talk

Every TV show with kids has child background actors so this is extremely common. The most NFY moment of the show was them creating a scenario that wasn’t helpful but saved $25,000.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
not reading a single post since i'm about halfway through this ep but the "older kid as younger kid" got me. it got me good

loving "Angela"'s mannerisms, the doublepaw gripping of the mug as she exits the room etc

Brolander fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 20, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just rewatched Ep 5, onto Ep 6. I used to work on a Disney show with child actors. Since then, I vowed I would NEVER EVER let my children do that. That life makes kids loving wierd. Nathan as the producer handled child talent most ethical way I've witnessed, and I still will never let my child onto set.

Tagichatn posted:

We're not talking about forced sterilization here, it's a TV show where the parents signed off on letting Angela "raise" their kid. I'm not sure if I could stand up against Nathan Fielder's highly rehearsed hard sell though.

I froze framed on his call flow chart. It is fr fr, I don't know if I would be able to resist, all my concerns were addressed on that paper.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think they should actually get married so we can see a real reality show about them raising kids together. If Nathan isn't ready to embrace the role quite that far, and Angela isn't willing to bend on her beliefs, she can marry Robbin instead.

I'm still reeling that she made Robbin get up to check the robo baby each time on night one.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I felt that Nathan handled the Remy situation really well, and it seemed clear they stopped all other production and went "well, there's 20min of a TV show left to make, how the hell do we wrap this up?" and then just spoofed their own fuckups as hard as they could to show the audience how stupid they were to have ever done this show.

So, it was absolute perfection.

And Remy's mom was fine. she cared about that boy and made sure he dealt with it right away to not make it traumatic and by keeping the friendship going in a very not daddy way. That seemed really healthy to me. Maybe HBO hired a kid shrink to suggest that, but the mom was supportive and loves him fiercely.
and Remy is so drat expressive and social, of course he'd be a funny kid actor. Every kid actor had a first gig, and I bet a large percentage of the ones without "Jennette McCurdy's" parents don't have a second.

And he was funny too, that Dr Fart bit was great.

Seeing Nathan drop the act and try to fix his mistake cast a new light on his whole catalog of work.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Remy's mom explaining how she just knows her kid is gonna be ok got me. Like yeah, that's kids. You just know because they are another you and you get it. Like episode 4ish when Nathan said "that last step of knowing is just a guess" doesn't apply to your child who you raised. You were there the whole time you know them.

I WILL NEVER EVER LET MY CHILD BE A CHILD ACTOR NEVER NEVER NEVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Remy's mom explaining how she just knows her kid is gonna be ok got me. Like yeah, that's kids. You just know because they are another you and you get it. Like episode 4ish when Nathan said "that last step of knowing is just a guess" doesn't apply to your child who you raised. You were there the whole time you know them.

I WILL NEVER EVER LET MY CHILD BE A CHILD ACTOR NEVER NEVER NEVER

OK, now tell me how you really feel.