Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I hate lighthouses I wish they didn’t exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

bird with big dick posted:

I hate lighthouses I wish they didn’t exist.

Reef spotted

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Where's my Annihilation Lego?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just put some avatar and friends sets in the oven

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I like lighthouses but I would want mine to have a spiral staircase to the beacon--not a ladder.

If only there was a type of building blocks with 70,000 different parts and they just produced a lighthouse that can be modified easily...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nvm not worth responding to you

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 22, 2022

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

No idea what you wrote, but I was just joking.

Sorry if I offended you...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I was sensing a little mockery with my interpretation, so I deleted my response before I posted something ruder than it warranted.

Your post was "right", of course, but :mad:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How would you even build a spiral staircase with bricks? I'm still learning about all these new techniques and my building technique is still child level "just make a box"

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Lego has a special piece for that: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=40243&idColor=85#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D They use it for example in this set: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=70403-1#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The modular Book Shop also has a spiral staircase built using 1x5 rounded plates.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The modular Book Shop also has a spiral staircase built using 1x5 rounded plates.

I'll be damned. I love this poo poo and wish there was a better compilation of these types of techniques. I will absolutely recreate this, even if it's with basic 1x4s/1x6s

The special piece is neat but I've never seen it and it's in barely over 1 set a year over the last 20 years, wow

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I was sensing a little mockery with my interpretation, so I deleted my response before I posted something ruder than it warranted.

Your post was "right", of course, but :mad:

No worries, and sorry again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The london bus has a spiral staircase too, fundamentally the same but slightly different technique.

The hard part with a lighhouse stairset would be figuring out a hand rail somehow. Those stiff tubes would certainly be involved but assembling it would be miserable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Treehouse has several spiral staircase sections but the stairs are all attached to a central pole rather than being attached to each other.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I thought the spiral stairs on the Downtown Diner were neat too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

w00tazn posted:

I thought the spiral stairs on the Downtown Diner were neat too.

I liked those cause they were meant to be an old iron staircase.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

yeah that's a perfect design for a lighthouse.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's super good. Nice use of those weird fence pieces too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

duz posted:

Oh my God. Oh my. Yeah, this.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

duz posted:

That is super slick.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Brawnfire posted:

Oh my God. Oh my. Yeah, this.
That tech would require a 9 x 9 internal space in the lighthouse to work, as posted. What you've got is 6 x 6, and that's only if you were able to hollow that sucker out quite a bit, because it has a lot of internal walls to support the exterior - so the actual usable interior space, as-is, is 4 x 4. They really had no choice but to use ladders.

I came up with my own take on an iron staircase a while back using Technic 1/2 liftarms as the steps that's slightly more compact than the amazing one in Downtown Diner, but it would still need a 7 x 7 space.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kinda been thinking about that castle.

Also, any rumors on the winter village set? Should be in the next few weeks, right?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

duz posted:

That is beautiful.

Is it considered an ILLEGAL building technique of the 1x1 circle to be jammed into the fencing?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

refleks posted:

That is beautiful.

Is it considered an ILLEGAL building technique of the 1x1 circle to be jammed into the fencing?

The authorities have been notified.
Just in case.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

refleks posted:

That is beautiful.

Nope. The fence was designed so its texture could function as antistuds. It's been used that way in sets since the 90s, and possibly earier.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
Much earlier than that: https://brickset.com/sets/673-1/Rally-Car-and-Motorbike

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

OH GOD MY LEGS

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Policeman with proto-spaceman helmet :hmmyes:

"I've got it- Space Police" :pcgaming:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

Policeman with proto-spaceman helmet :hmmyes:

"I've got it- Space Police" :pcgaming:

And they're apparently helping a rally car in the middle of a race? Class act but I do wonder wtf a cop is doing on what should be a closed route.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

xzzy posted:

And they're apparently helping a rally car in the middle of a race? Class act but I do wonder wtf a cop is doing on what should be a closed route.

The cop is doing what cops everywhere do in real life: whatever the gently caress they want. :cop:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lewd Mangabey posted:

OH GOD MY LEGS

STOP RESISTING

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my god that's beautiful. looks like something I would make

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's the weirdest VIP bonus I've ever got.. 60515. A bag of pirate themed random parts? Which is cool and all but I'm surprised it's not even a small tropical island type diorama build.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

xzzy posted:

Well that's the weirdest VIP bonus I've ever got.. 60515. A bag of pirate themed random parts? Which is cool and all but I'm surprised it's not even a small tropical island type diorama build.

Yeah, I got that too when I bought the Galaxy Explorer (which should be here Thursday :toot:). I figure I’ll use it to spice up the Black Seas Barracuda I have mostly together on display. Could go great with Pirates of Barracuda Bay too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I kinda want this set to round out my rally car collection, but to keep my self sane I limited myself to sets where the minifig actually fit inside the car.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I have designed the WORST robot from 40411!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
More like best pimpbot.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

The little known fifth Jaeger from Pacific Rim: Tropic Thunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Legs: ✅
Arms: ✅
Robot nipples: ✅