Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Death in the Afternoon more like Punch in the Face amirite

it's such a weird combination of flavors and mouthfeel; I'm a cocktail novice but it's easily the most complex and flat-out bizarre thing I've tried so far.

I think I love it?

It’s one of my favorites, and has been for a dozen years. You’re one of us, now. Careful not to have 4 on a Saturday and wake up in your hotel room with a collection of new brooks brothers sweaters. In august. Happened to a friend.

Now…try splitting the absinthe with green chartreuse… :vd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Picked up a bottle of yuzu liqueur (choya brand) on a whim, any suggestions?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

field balm posted:

Picked up a bottle of yuzu liqueur (choya brand) on a whim, any suggestions?

Mix it with rum and lime and some syrup.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Comb Your Beard posted:

The sherry hype train keeps continuing. If I didn't like fino and didn't like amontillado, should I still give manzanilla a chance? Don't like oxidized flavors. Don't like sweet wine either. I know the definitions of each type.

Just keep hearing about respected bartenders using it.

The key to enjoying amontillado is finding a good cask. I know of such a cask, follow me.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So my good liquor store is a good drive from where I live, meaning I only drop by every few months. I'm currently down to the end of my base spirits, which is now just Bourbon and Vodka. I've never been a huge Vodka fan (almost anything with Vodka I find works better with Gin), but I figured out a Cosmopolitan spec that's really been killing it:

2oz Vodka
.5oz Lime Cordial (Morganthaler's recipe specifically)
1oz Cointreau (I'm using Triple Sec since it's all I got right now)
1oz Cranberry Juice
2 dashes Orange Bitters
1 barspoon Aperol

The Orange Bitters, Orange Liqueur and Aperol really livens up the cranberry x vodka mix, and that Lime Cordial is just absolutely killer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Made a Daiquiri using Smith & Cross and it’s amazing!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

obi_ant posted:

Made a Daiquiri using Smith & Cross and it’s amazing!

A Daiquiri is the truest way to experience what a rum has to offer. Sure, neat is good, but when mixed appropriately with lime and sugar you see all sorts of other interesting things.

Also, a daiquiri is probably my favorite cocktail, even more than a sazerac or a martini.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Daiquiris over everything. I made a paw paw cordial with vanilla sugar at work and it makes a loving life-changer of a daiquiri. Pale three-island rum, Rum-Bar Jamaican white rum, that poo poo, a touch of coconut liqueur, lime.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was asking about creme de cacao the other day. I ended up ordering Tempes Fugits version. The shipper sent Creme de Noyaux by mistake. They told me to just keep it so another bottle for the collection. No idea what to do with this. I'm not a fan of marzipan but I'm sure there is something interesting to do with it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

I was asking about creme de cacao the other day. I ended up ordering Tempes Fugits version. The shipper sent Creme de Noyaux by mistake. They told me to just keep it so another bottle for the collection. No idea what to do with this. I'm not a fan of marzipan but I'm sure there is something interesting to do with it.

The Pink Squirrel is delicoius. Other than that I think you can sub it for amaretto in drinks that call for that.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

my kinda ape posted:

The Pink Squirrel is delicoius. Other than that I think you can sub it for amaretto in drinks that call for that.

an Alabama Slammer is already red and sweet so its a good candidate

especially if you use a fancy sloe gin which is less red and less sweet

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Return of the heat put me In the mood for a nice whiskey sour, so I made this drink from my favorite bar called The Molino (amaretto sour)

1.5 oz rittenhouse rye
0.75 lemon
0.5 oz disaronno
0.5 oz rich Demerara syrup
1 egg white

Dry shake, shake with some ice and pour into a 6 oz beer glass. Delicious.

What’s everyone’s prefer shake method for egg white drink?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
At work we single shake with a protein shaker ball and like five or six of our lovely ice cubes from our cheapo ice machine. Shake until the ice completely dissolves and it comes out perfect.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The creme de cacao arrived today.

WHOA!

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Booties posted:

Return of the heat put me In the mood for a nice whiskey sour, so I made this drink from my favorite bar called The Molino (amaretto sour)

1.5 oz rittenhouse rye
0.75 lemon
0.5 oz disaronno
0.5 oz rich Demerara syrup
1 egg white

Dry shake, shake with some ice and pour into a 6 oz beer glass. Delicious.

What’s everyone’s prefer shake method for egg white drink?

This sounds delicious.

I shake with ice and no egg first for like 10s to mix and cool down. Then I strain and add an egg white and pull off the spring from a Hawthorne shaker and add that in for extra agitation. I then shake for a long rear end time until I'm tired and pour directly into the glass (no need to strain again since there are no ice chunks)

This gets a ton of delicious foam

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Decided to give cognacs a try! I've never messed with them at all. Closest I've come is using E&J VSOP in Between the Sheets, and those were delicious, so I figured I'd splurge a bit

Honestly, the Remy Martin is...OK, I guess? extremely oaky and the alcohol has a real bite. The ABK6, on the other hand, is phenomenal. Like a warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Will probably be excellent in some cocktails, but just fantastic and smooth as hell on its own.

The Symbole I got mostly for cooking (it was like $4 more than E&J VSOP), but it's not terrible and will probably sub in for the ABK6 when I'm too drunk to be discerning in my brandy/cognac cocktails :v:

Also picked up a bottle of this stuff:

It's really dang good! Sweeter than Campari but not as sweet as Aperol. So far I've had it straight and mixed with tonic per the bottle recommendation and both are delicious. I have a feeling it'll be super good replacing Campari in a negroni, too.

e: oh yeah, and I grabbed a bottle each of Dolin sweet and dry vermouths. Haven't opened the dry yet, but it's pretty incredible how much better the $12.99 Dolin sweet is than the $9.99 Martini & Rossi sweet!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2022

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Wait until you try Capano Antica

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's next on my list tbh

also Dolin has a white, sweet one that I'm curious about but I dunno what I'd use it in

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Dolin Blanc vermouth is what you're talking about, and it's great! Think of it as an equivalent to sweet vermouth that works better with lighter spirits. You can make really interesting tequila/mezcal Manhattans and Negronis, for example. You can also use it instead of dry vermouth for a more luscious Martini and stuff like that. Or try a Bamboo! Blanc vermouth can do anything that the other two can do, I think it's really underrated.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Martini & Rossi are so far down the chain, they really should be less than half the price of Dolin. Picked some up for martinis this week and it's completely garbage. For the extra few bucks, Dolin is the choice any time, especially blanc. But that's all they had, and it's still a nope. Pour it down the drain and make a gimlet or rickey.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

The Polish Pirate posted:

This sounds delicious.

I shake with ice and no egg first for like 10s to mix and cool down. Then I strain and add an egg white and pull off the spring from a Hawthorne shaker and add that in for extra agitation. I then shake for a long rear end time until I'm tired and pour directly into the glass (no need to strain again since there are no ice chunks)

This gets a ton of delicious foam

It was! Garnish is a luxardo cherry btw. This recipe is dry shake then only has you use few ice cubes and shake until melted then pour directly into the glass. I’m not a fan of that method and like the way you described better.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’ve started turning to an electric milk frother when I want extra body or foam in a drink and it works a treat. Also very nice for layering a cap of cream over a white Russian.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I've been sticking to Fever Tree and dabbling with Q's regular and "spectacular" versions of tonic water but uhh

guess I'm going with Fentiman's for a while :eyepop:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fentiman’s is far and away better than Fever Tree or Q. You’re extremely lucky.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Fentiman’s cola rules.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wow, that blend of Denizen and Smith and Cross we were discussing a while back makes a very good planter’s punch.

Stray thought: I’ve gotten really into having super lime around when I’m in rum mode. It takes so much of the effort out of mixing a tropical drink! Next time I batch some up, I am going to try and work out an appropriate measure of salt to add to it, to hopefully also streamline the need to add salinity to my citrus drinks.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
A dropper full of salt water is pretty easy and convenient

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah, mix up a 10:1 saline solution and keep it in a dropper bottle. Squeeze a dropper of it into your drinks whenever you want, couldn't be easier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Trip report: that Amaro is too sweet for a negroni. Between it and the sweet vermouth it's almost overpowering.

Maybe I'll try it wjth dry vermouth instead? It does have that earthy bitter Campari taste, and it mixed well with the gin but it needs something instead of the sweet vermouth to balance it out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I bought some Italicus on a whim, half because the bottle is pretty, but it's delicious on ice! Anyone have some cocktail recipes that use it?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Apple cider reduction demarara syrup

This was interesting. Winged it no recipe. 8 cup apple cider, 2 cup demarara sugar (bigger crystals, finer would have been more mass).

Reduced the hell out of it. I was going to add a tiny bit of malic acid but the reduction really reduced the natural apple acidity along with it, only added a like 0.5 g afraid of messing it up.

Ended up overdoing it, it was the consistency of hard honey cold. Added liquid cider back and microwaved, stirred, to dilute it to usable .

How do you nail reductions? Is there a trick besides pouring it back out into a pyrex to measure the volume? That would be so sticky and messy though. Want to get that happy zone where it's still liquid at fridge temp but it's strong and concentrated.

Also don't add your everclear preservative to the very hot syrup it will boil off alcohol.

Result is delicious though!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you're using a store bought cider you should check the nutrition label for the grams of sugar. You'll want to divide it down to grams sugar per ml of liquid, so you can then figure out how much you want to reduce it in order to achieve the desired sugar/ml amount before adding the demerara, with your end sugar % in mind (50% being 1:1).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

I bought some Italicus on a whim, half because the bottle is pretty, but it's delicious on ice! Anyone have some cocktail recipes that use it?

It’s very nice with gin, dry vermouth, and a couple of olives or cocktail onions. It also pairs nicely with grapefruit juice and a little soda.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
To easily see how far it’s reduced, all you need is a wooden skewer and a sharpie. Stick the skewer in and make a mark where the liquid level is, then you can easily tell when it’s reduced in half or whatever.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Comb Your Beard posted:

This was interesting. Winged it no recipe. 8 cup apple cider, 2 cup demarara sugar (bigger crystals, finer would have been more mass).

Reduced the hell out of it. I was going to add a tiny bit of malic acid but the reduction really reduced the natural apple acidity along with it, only added a like 0.5 g afraid of messing it up.

Ended up overdoing it, it was the consistency of hard honey cold. Added liquid cider back and microwaved, stirred, to dilute it to usable .

How do you nail reductions? Is there a trick besides pouring it back out into a pyrex to measure the volume? That would be so sticky and messy though. Want to get that happy zone where it's still liquid at fridge temp but it's strong and concentrated.

Also don't add your everclear preservative to the very hot syrup it will boil off alcohol.

Result is delicious though!

If I were trying to make a cider syrup I don't think I'd reduce it at all. Heating it is going to kill off the more delicate flavors of the cider, which it sounds like you'd prefer to preserve. I'd just titrate the demerara sugar in there, stirring and stirring til it reaches your preferred level of syrupiness.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This is good advice thanks, depth finder stick and using the nutrition facts. It actually didn't kill the flavor, the boiling. Starting with Giant brand, not artisan stuff. It tasted right. Now for fall weather to come to make the apple-inolved cocktail feel timely.

Googling is telling me 1 cup fine sugar weighs 200 g.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 25, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For anyone that uses Beachbum Berry's total tiki app for recipe references, they just released early access to the next "evolution" of the app as Total Tiki Online. It's free right now to try out but the eventual model will be a $3 monthly sub. Beachbum had mentioned at tiki oasis that this would be a "regularly updated" database and also include some more historical info for recipes as well as adding some features that weren't possible with the app. If you have a passing interest in tiki stuff, it's probably worth at least setting up a demo account to check it out, doesn't cost anything right now for early access.

https://totaltikionline.com

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Apple cider molasses has been a thing for hundreds of years. It’s delicious. It would have been too pricy for me to reduce it that much (I think it called for 1/8), so I would reduce it in half and then add half that volume in Demerara sugar. Very tangy and rich and a quarter ounce is beautiful in a fall flavored Old Fashioned

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are there any cocktails that use orange syrup? I couldn't really find anything. Wife made candied oranges and ended up with a big rear end Mason jar full of the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been there, and my solution was to add vodka and use it in place of triple sec.