Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Riot Bus posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why Annie is so offended by this conceptually since as far as she knows it won't affect her. Unless the Court just vanishes and she doesn't have a house anymore which would certainly be inconvenient but she is allowed to go somewhere else. It's not like fairies would even want to go to the new planet considering their entire culture is routed in aether. It'd be like going to a planet where light doesn't exist.

Also I just realized that the plan is just that they want to go to a planet that is just regular Earth as we understand it IRL and I'm just like "don't do it, non-magical Earth isn't any better".

Putting aside the issue of power, this whole conflict as presented so far is essentially a science vs magic flavored version of Galt's Gultch, except told from the pov of the looters who are really indignant about the libertarian assholes leaving for unspecified reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Tony Shrugged

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Unless this is powered by dead children or sucking out the magic of literally everyone of the supporting cast why should we care about them loving off?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Annointed posted:

Unless this is powered by dead children or sucking out the magic of literally everyone of the supporting cast why should we care about them loving off?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tree Reformat posted:

Putting aside the issue of power, this whole conflict as presented so far is essentially a science vs magic flavored version of Galt's Gultch, except told from the pov of the looters who are really indignant about the libertarian assholes leaving for unspecified reasons.

Pretend I posted that Bob the Angry Flower comic but with Gunnerkrigg characters photoshopped in

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If the mastermind is supposed to be an actual person and assuming the reveal is intended to be important at all then I'd say it's likely Kat? Maybe it is a Kat from a timeline who lost her Annie because she fell off the bridge. Or it is some future version of her where she lost her Annie due to childbirth or by being forcibly recruited by the psychopomps. That's probably the kind of thing that would give her a grudge against the ether. I'm not sure if any other reveal would have any significant impact or give the reader a reason to care about this.

Though out of others mentioned earlier in the thread, I think Coyote, Dr. Disaster or Tim Curry would be amazing alternatives for obvious reasons.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I struggled to remember (ironically) which movie it was, but I finally remembered it was A Scanner Darkly and that the memory erasing suits reminds me of the Scramble Suits.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BobTheJanitor posted:

Pretend I posted that Bob the Angry Flower comic but with Gunnerkrigg characters photoshopped in
Be very funny if their plan did depend on an inexhaustible supply of workers robots want where'd all the robots go

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snake Maze posted:

All of the pacing issues and disjointed scenes are caused by the missing interactions with the memory-holed cast members who left and got erased :tinfoil:
The court has actually been very full this whole time but the story is being told from a post forgetting standpoint.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Introducing a really cool aetheric seeming force and then revealing it to be some guy in a suit is a hell of an anticlimax. Cant have a cool scene without immediately undermining it I guess.

Also if we're going to have long boring conversations with people I dont care about would it hurt to answer any of the many questions I actually have instead of whatever this poo poo is. None of this even makes sense. If everyone is going to be forgotten later on the way there anyway wtf is the point of the suit. Its dumb.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Introducing a really cool aetheric seeming force and then revealing it to be some guy in a suit is a hell of an anticlimax. Cant have a cool scene without immediately undermining it I guess.

Also if we're going to have long boring conversations with people I dont care about would it hurt to answer any of the many questions I actually have instead of whatever this poo poo is. None of this even makes sense. If everyone is going to be forgotten later on the way there anyway wtf is the point of the suit. Its dumb.

a cool aetheric force that when questioned on its obvious magic bullshit goes "oh, no, no, that's a... science...suit! it looks magical with technology!" would probably be totally undetectable to the dumbass mishmash of vibes that the court runs on, though

idk what the point of all this exposition is either way, like we already saw the hosed-up magical(?) monster offer a secret magical one-way trip to an anti-magic Elon Musk space colony for only the most unquestioning true believers, it's an obvious deathtrap even taken at face value and none of this FAQ is providing any new information on why that'd be appealing or what the point is. if you wanna abruptly write the court out of the story just have em Heavens Gate themselves and be done with it man

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 20, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Snake Maze posted:

All of the pacing issues and disjointed scenes are caused by the missing interactions with the memory-holed cast members who left and got erased :tinfoil:

:hmmyes:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

rip Loup, flew into the new planet and died

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Okay, there really is a pattern in the last few chapters of Annie objecting at things that seem out of left field, right? It's not just me?

Like, X chapter or X scene will start building up a mystery, or even just seem to move the plot along, usually via a character explaining something, and then wham Annie interrupts the exposition to ask something kind of tangentially related, out of one throwaway line the Exposition character said?

It's never about the main meat of the subject, it's always something like, "This isn't how our magical system works, boo!"

And that pulls us away from reaching the logical end of whatever point the other character was trying to make and we just never seem to get back there and then the scene changes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've been in so many work meetings with Annie

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

isasphere posted:

Okay, there really is a pattern in the last few chapters of Annie objecting at things that seem out of left field, right? It's not just me?

Like, X chapter or X scene will start building up a mystery, or even just seem to move the plot along, usually via a character explaining something, and then wham Annie interrupts the exposition to ask something kind of tangentially related, out of one throwaway line the Exposition character said?

It's never about the main meat of the subject, it's always something like, "This isn't how our magical system works, boo!"

And that pulls us away from reaching the logical end of whatever point the other character was trying to make and we just never seem to get back there and then the scene changes.

It almost feels like a Nintendo thing where they need to explain everything to you like you're a toddler, but her objections don't lead to the viewer being educated about anything. It shows a total lack of confidence on Tom's part that he's communicating effectively with the reader, and it's also out of character for Annie, but that's par for the course - he lost track of who she was when she merged and has never really got a handle on the character since.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

worm girl posted:

It almost feels like a Nintendo thing where they need to explain everything to you like you're a toddler, but her objections don't lead to the viewer being educated about anything. It shows a total lack of confidence on Tom's part that he's communicating effectively with the reader, and it's also out of character for Annie, but that's par for the course - he lost track of who she was when she merged and has never really got a handle on the character since.

Theory time, hear me out:

Where are y'all hosting images these days? Imgur seems to want out of the hotlinking business.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Boy. Would have been cool if this was, like. Revealed by the characters doing something. Instead of just. Having someone tell them.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Why are these massive, world-changing reveals being delivered in monologue by a bored-looking couple on a date? I’m just bewildered. Tom is capable of incredible art and this is just… ???

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
gently caress me this is dire. Such a waste of a good reveal.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Patware posted:

i'm sure this time will be different from all the other times something a little cool looked like it was about to happen

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

just imagine if the two protagonists of the comic did some tension-filled investigating to find this out :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

just imagine if the two protagonists of the comic did some tension-filled investigating to find this out :smith:

Agency? Hoho you are in the webcomic friendo.

At this point Annie is only barely more competent than Snout of Dominic Deegan infamy.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Ooooh, we can finally get an answer to one of the longest dangling plot hooks remaining: What is with the weird glowing paintings with the footprints? "Oh, yeah. They are a naturally generated side effect of the etheric process. They form spontaneously, don't go anywhere and no one left the footprints, so we just stick them in storage."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
these two schmucks are the grim reapers of anything interesting in this story, I swear to god

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The exposition dumps over and over. And worse losing out on any interesting art to help make this compelling.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Does this feel less like a reveal than a confirmation of something long suspected to anyone else?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

GunnerJ posted:

Does this feel less like a reveal than a confirmation of something long suspected to anyone else?

It was always improbably large for being anywhere in the UK, but exaggerated dimensions for the sake of artistic license or whimsy or this being an alt reality where there happened to be a large mysterious science enclave "somewhere" were all plausible explanations for that. It's a bit funny that neither Annie nor Kat would stop to think about how the Court manages to "fit" on the landmass before though. I guess we never do see them in a geography class at school.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"Have you never wondered why the weather never changes near the shore?"

No, I haven't.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was always improbably large for being anywhere in the UK, but exaggerated dimensions for the sake of artistic license or whimsy or this being an alt reality where there happened to be a large mysterious science enclave "somewhere" were all plausible explanations for that. It's a bit funny that neither Annie nor Kat would stop to think about how the Court manages to "fit" on the landmass before though. I guess we never do see them in a geography class at school.

This is a perfect example of how explaining something makes it less interesting. Was fine with the Court just being a surreal, enigmatic location in alter-England.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, I always figured that the court wasn't a real place. It seemed obvious.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, I always figured that the court wasn't a real place. It seemed obvious.

Same.

The point about the weather at the shore is weird, though. Hasn't it already been established the Court can control the weather?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The only important weather-related fact I can think of is that rain calms Zimmy down.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oxxidation posted:

these two schmucks are the grim reapers of anything interesting in this story, I swear to god

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

God drat it.

Imagine if the cliffhanger was 'why do you think we are still on Earth?', and that leads to the exposition page and the reactions. How do the Forest and Court connect? What did Loup actually do when he crashed into a compressed space-time dimension? Does anyone else know? How did they pull it off? How did Anthony's weird satellite hijinks even work if they aren't on the planet the satellite is orbiting?

You could do so much better than just dumping this at the top of the exposition page! Give the readers a reason to question! But nah, we gotta have bargain boddhistava and his girlfriend just spew it out on the page.

I think it hits worse because I've seen this comic do better before.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is a reveal that explains a vast number of mysteries that have been building up for years and years, and there's no more tension than if they were deciding between coffee or tea. This would have been an amazing chapter or two of Annie and Kat figuring it out for themselves, maybe Annie or Renard trying to journey etherically beyond the ocean only to find walls, like the Truman Show, or anything else.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Annie and the Fire, revised:
Ata: Hello Annie, your father was sad when your mum died so he went to find the psychopomps but the tricksters tricked him into cutting off his hand to bring her back.
Annie: But Psychopomps don't do that!
Ata: They were fake psychopomps, tricksters like coyote is. That's why instead of bringing her back it was killing you.
Annie: Why would the Psychopomps cut my hair off?
Ata: They didn't. It just kind of fell off. Maybe Zimmy did it.
Annie: Thank you Ata. May I say I love what you've done with your bedroom.
Shell, hiding under a sheet: for the love of god please leave

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Even if you're going to do the reveal like this I feel like annie and kat should have more of a reaction than a mild quizzical expression

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

Even if you're going to do the reveal like this I feel like annie and kat should have more of a reaction than a mild quizzical expression

Yeah you'd think "Oh, we're not on Earth" would have been a pretty huge revelation lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Maybe those bigger-on-the-inside vaults were the beta phase of not-being-on-Earth, which explains why they've been abandoned for so long.