Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Celestriad posted:

Hi thread,

We have some new chicks this year including a few leghorns. Every leghorn I've ever met is a flighty poo poo except for this girl. She likes to be held and socialize in the house, and is sitting on my lap.

What should we name her? Old lady names preferred, something that fits the unusual nature of a tame leghorn.
Gretchen, Zelda, Mable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 9, 2022

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

City of Glompton posted:

there was much complaining and gnashing of beaks in the chicken yard during this process because i took a little stray cat we've been nursing back to health outside with me. she just sat quietly in the sun, but the chickens could not get over the presence of such an interloper

I hope they adopt the cat begrudgingly and end up taking dirt baths together by the end of the summer.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Rose did not adopt the baby chicks so I am mama hen again. At least these are super friendly girls, although I do feel guilty buying sexed pullets since those baby cockerels have to go somewhere…

The Guinea hens hatched their egg and their keet is still alive on Day 2!! :neckbeard:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

https://twitter.com/ImoveCar/status/1561429879861772288?s=20&t=-TgNoNUl3FZ8uA038eOQGw

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

they had a pretty rough time and I worried I was going to lose wee Birdie who has always been in poorer health than the others, but they're looking much better now and back to terrorising my garden

there were a couple low points where they were just panting/gasping and I didn't know what else to do to cool them down that I hadn't already done, so long term I'm going to have to figure something else out because this is going to keep happening more and more :sigh:

and of course thousands died in battery farms yet again
all that you can do is be kind to the ones that are with you :sympathy: every single one of those babies is their own little individual whose whole world is so much better and it's all because of you and your love for them.

it's beautiful how simple they are. if they're terrorising the garden, they're happy, and they live in the moment so that's all that matters.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

them!

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Joburg posted:

The Guinea hens hatched their egg and their keet is still alive on Day 2!! :neckbeard:

Look at their polka-dot fashion!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i do miss avshalom's guinea stories

Those birds are just beautiful.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hope the poster who was due to get some more ex-battery hens is doing okay! Sorry I can't recall the username but seeing those hens thrive is so good. Hope you got the hens and are nursing them back to health as we speak.

Avs/egg please post quails, I miss them, this thread was a daily visit while you were regularly posting Quail Tales

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

we have a pip! i hope it makes it, i'm worried for these first time mamas, and i haven't done this in a long time myself

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

we have a pip! i hope it makes it, i'm worried for these first time mamas, and i haven't done this in a long time myself

Good luck!!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Aggravating story about sub par chicken keepers: I’m on a local Facebook group and this lady asked for help with her limping chicken. I went over today and took a look at it, I didn’t find anything wrong structurally but it couldn’t use that leg. I advised that they keep it crated and give it aspirin for a few days but the husband was not interested in that as the hen had already been limping for a few days (2 days magically turned into 4 days so who knows how long she’s been suffering). So I said if it were mine and it was suffering and I couldn’t treat it then I would cull. He said he “didn’t have time for that”. I said it takes like 2 seconds and I would show him how if he wanted. He agreed, made his kids come out to take a picture with the chicken (wtf), then when they went back inside he got me the broomstick and I talked through all the steps as I did them. Afterwards he said he would bury her but got all worried that it was going to smell and complained that digging a deep hole was more work than he wanted to do. I finally lost my temper and said that she gave him her whole life, he could at least dig a hole and that a grave would be better for his kids than having her put in the trash…. He was just a piece of work.

On my way home it occurred to me that it could be Marek’s disease. I put everything I wore in the wash immediately. I keep my flock vaccinated but hadn’t got around to vaccinating the newest arrivals so I will be doing that tonight. Anyway, the whole thing made me wonder what’s the goon consensus on the Marek’s vaccine. I can’t remember if it’s come up in discussion before.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

this is amazing :kimchi: my guineas never even tried to brood, let alone produced a real live keet

as for the quail

an egg posted:

iris got the loving quail cage open again and ate three birds
they were all newcomers, the personalities featured in this thread are all still alive, but it's still a terrible thing to have happened.

an egg fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 23, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i was making jelly in my garage utility room today and i left the back door open to get some air...look who wandered in

later the pullets also came in and everyone poo poo on the garage floor while i was tethered to stirring a boiling pot of jelly

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

baby

imgur is not cooperating for this but here is a google link if anyone wants to see a tiny babe blinking from the bright lights of the world

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XorrKPCLFnBcaYbD9

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

:neckbeard:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

we're at 4 babies now, and many more pips :peanut:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

City of Glompton posted:

i was making jelly in my garage utility room today and i left the back door open to get some air...look who wandered in

later the pullets also came in and everyone poo poo on the garage floor while i was tethered to stirring a boiling pot of jelly

That is a beautiful rooster.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you, we think he's very pretty and mostly a sweet boy

we are almost thru this round of hatching

Clarice there has 1 egg left, it hasn't pipped yet so i may end up putting it under Beans, whose eggs may start hatching tomorrow

i think Navi probably has hatched all her babies at this point, i'll be checking later to see how they're doing

their little feets are so tiny and fuzzy :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

fuzzy feets

just chillin with mama Navi

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i love how this thread goes through cycles of death and rebirth. everyone's flock seems to meet with tragedy at once and we all go through weeks of sorrow, but then the eggs begin to hatch and life springs anew

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fuzzy feets

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

omg all these fuzzy little boots

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

here's the gang:

Navi's other 6 chicks

Clarice's 5 chicks

today or tomorrow, Beans' eggs should start to hatch

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Congrats on all the chicks!

For the straddle leg baby, maybe you could use a hair tie or some vet wrap to fashion a band? They might be less likely to catch and pull those tiny feathers.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

baby pics:

they are sharing mom duties pretty happily

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Adorable!

I have hatched slightly poopy eggs, with some gentle water wiping. I didn’t notice a difference in the hatch rate compared to unwiped but I didn’t make detailed notes either. I’ve seen online that some people clean their eggs with peroxide before setting them. I haven’t tried it myself though.

Rose is successfully unbroodied after the unsuccessful incubation and unsuccessful adoption of chicks. Now Marge is starting to look broody-ish. I ordered some naked neck eggs so we will see if these shipped eggs result in any chicks… the last ones were very scrambled inside so I don’t have high hopes.

My brooder chicks are lovely and happy to see me. They are so tolerant of handling, it’s really amazing.

The Guinea keet is still alive! The flock keeps taking them hither and yon so I think it must do ten million steps a day with those tiny legs.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

omg this page is killing me :kimchi:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg, those chicks and keet are adorable :kimchi:

Beans hatched 5 chicks today, here is one that is from her own egg

there is one more that is pipped, hopefully i'll wake up to another baby

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2022

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Enfys posted:

I adopted three new battery hens over the weekend, and Chips, the oldest of my current flock, has not stopped yelling about it except to sleep.

I adopted two new battery hens today since we lost best friends Grumpy and Pecks a few months ago, and Chips is once again incandescent with rage and has not stopped yelling about it.

One of the two new hens is in worse shape and seems traumatised beyond any other rescue we've adopted :(

She has clearly suffered some extreme bullying and is terrified of other chickens. Both new hens have their own little fenced off areas where they can see the flock and everyone can get used to each other safely, but we had to rearrange her area as she would scream with blind terror and smash herself against the fence any time a chicken even wandered by in the main run a few feet away, and I was worried she'd hurt herself. I really hope she'll settle soon and enjoy being in an actual flock.

Both hens have wounds from pecking and are very underweight, so there's going to be a lot of tlc and rest required before they're ready to join the flock and learn how to start a new career as blueberry thieves.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 27, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
City of Glompton, I was thinking about it and could you use a strip of knit T-shirt material? It would be a bit stretchy but not sticky and you could make it however wide it needed to be. You could put some stitches in it to hold it tight to the legs. Obv it would be a 2 person job so fashion the custom leggings…

Enfys, good luck with your new birds. That is such a wonderful thing to do for those poor abused ladies!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

I adopted two new battery hens today since we lost best friends Grumpy and Pecks a few months ago, and Chips is once again incandescent with rage and has not stopped yelling about it.

One of the two new hens is in worse shape and seems traumatised beyond any other rescue we've adopted :(

She has clearly suffered some extreme bullying and is terrified of other chickens. Both new hens have their own little fenced off areas where they can see the flock and everyone can get used to each other safely, but we had to rearrange her area as she would scream with blind terror and smash herself against the fence any time a chicken even wandered by in the main run a few feet away, and I was worried she'd hurt herself. I really hope she'll settle soon and enjoy being in an actual flock.

Both hens have wounds from pecking and are very underweight, so there's going to be a lot of tlc and rest required before they're ready to join the flock and learn how to start a new career as blueberry thieves.
those poor sweet babies :smith:

they'll settle in. they don't even know yet how their fortunes have changed: they're home at last. :unsmith:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i tried to do a chick photoshoot in this nice flowery spot

the hens and chicks immediately left for the ugly coop instead

at least Lil' Pep is cooperative

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

lil' pep is an angel

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

That picture should be in a calendar. :swoon:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

City of Glompton posted:

at least Lil' Pep is cooperative

magnificent :swoon:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

an egg posted:

lil' pep is an angel

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you all, she is an angel, but have you considered a hen in the style of round?