Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have a dumb question that I probably already know the answer to. (HtN) Is Mercy’s briefing about Number Seven one long joke about that Facebook boomer who asked a question and then responded to every reply with WRONG, NEXT!!

it has to be, i thought the same thing and was like "it's too on the nose to be unintentional." legitimately very glad this is a series where the question "is this a meme" can usually be answered with "yes."

also, origin of NEXT! for people who want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

First I saw of that and yeah gotta be

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I think that one was confirmed in an interview.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is Ianthe's soup recipe a reference? I swear it sounds like a comedy YouTube cooking channel I've come across once, but haven't been able to pin it down.

brb, rewatching the Katering Show

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Obnoxipus posted:

it has to be, i thought the same thing and was like "it's too on the nose to be unintentional." legitimately very glad this is a series where the question "is this a meme" can usually be answered with "yes."

also, origin of NEXT! for people who want it.

Okay yeah, Mercy even says “It’s a Resurrection Beast, honey!” at one point.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
My wife woke up around 2AM last night and had to inform me via text (despite being in the same bed) that the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel clearly leads supports the existence of the Necromancer Queen Catherine Spaniel before returning to a rather deep sleep.

When I asked about it the next morning, she let me know that the combination of the above forms a Licker, and that is pretty much an encapsulation of the stupid jokes this series have enabled in our house.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hedningen posted:

My wife woke up around 2AM last night and had to inform me via text (despite being in the same bed) that the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel clearly leads supports the existence of the Necromancer Queen Catherine Spaniel before returning to a rather deep sleep.

When I asked about it the next morning, she let me know that the combination of the above forms a Licker, and that is pretty much an encapsulation of the stupid jokes this series have enabled in our house.

You sound like the sort of household I would want to meet for brunch and talk about the latest stupid Locked Tomb jokes with tbh

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
tamsyn publish the dog au

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
perhaps this has been covered already, but do there exist pins of the various house icons, by chance?

really feeling a need to rep the Ninth when I'm out and about because reasons

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If official merch doesn't exist then i'm sure someone has an etsy store where they make custom pins.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I have a complete set of these, and they're pretty great. They're fan-made, but Taz posted about the Kickstarter when it ran, so they at least have her approval.

I notice there's been a new run if the pins in black, but I think I prefer the bone-white originals.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I don't know if SurreptitiousMuffin is still lurking this thread but I picked up The Dawnhounds recently, along with paperback copies of Gideon and Harrow. Here it is, on my bed!

My collection of Goon Books is slowly growing

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 21, 2022

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Here's the Ninth House w/ aviators in action.

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't know if SurreptitiousMuffin is still lurking this thread but I picked up The Dawnhounds recently, along with paperback copies of Gideon and Harrow. Here it is, on my bed!

My collection of Goon books is slowly growing
Hell yeah!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

cptn_dr posted:

Here's the Ninth House w/ aviators in action.

Hell yeah!

That skull has a mandible, not very 9th

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The non-Aviator Ninth skull is blessedly mandible-free

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"my what the gently caress face was very different from your what the gently caress face"

is such a great, great line

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still on the lookout for more books with that vibe.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still on the lookout for more books with that vibe.
if I may be so bold

Happy Landfill posted:

My collection of Goon Books is slowly growing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

silvergoose posted:

"my what the gently caress face was very different from your what the gently caress face"

is such a great, great line

Gideon threatening to rip off Ianthe’s rear end and get Harrow to make a bone rear end is amazing

Just that entire sequence.

I don’t have any pins yet but I do have a Sixth House skull on my PC from 1989 and the Nona burger shirt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

if I may be so bold

You can scroll back up a bit in this thread. I might have praised the book a bit. :P

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can scroll back up a bit in this thread. I might have praised the book a bit. :P

Did you forget they were the author from said previous conversation :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Did you forget they were the author from said previous conversation :v:

I didn't. :)

I assumed they did though, or they wouldn't try to sell me a book I already read and liked. XD

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsieurChoc posted:

I didn't. :)

I assumed they did though, or they wouldn't try to sell me a book I already read and liked. XD

More like surreptitiousmuffowned

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ohhhhh I misread something. I will accept my muffinailure.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
people defending me have forgotten one thing: i'm an idiot

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well drat do I have some News about the rest of us then....

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It's okay. This is a safe space. We are all idiots here together

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Sorry to double post but there is a really fantastic interview with Tamsyn on Tumblr that just dropped, in which she declares FFIX to be her favorite FF :kimchi: and some other things

https://books.tumblr.com/post/693388542787846144/writer-spotlight-tamsyn-muir-tamsyn-muir-probably

This is probably my favorite bit but there's so much in there that I would love to quote for emphasis

quote:

Harrow would hate that you described her as horny. Gideon would be fine with being described as horny. Nona would love to sit you down and talk about all the things that make her horny, at the end of which you are 50% worried that she doesn’t honestly understand ‘horny,’ and 50% worried that she DOES understand ‘horny.’

Everything about Nona fascinates me

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 24, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

It's okay. This is a safe space. We are all idiots here together

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Happy Landfill posted:

Sorry to double post but there is a really fantastic interview with Tamsyn on Tumblr that just dropped, in which she declares FFIX to be her favorite FF :kimchi: and some other things

https://books.tumblr.com/post/693388542787846144/writer-spotlight-tamsyn-muir-tamsyn-muir-probably

This is probably my favorite bit but there's so much in there that I would love to quote for emphasis

Everything about Nona fascinates me

The Kingdom Hearts acknowledgement makes me surer than ever that Nona is a Roxas situation.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Happy Landfill posted:

She’s not wrong about FFIX and she’s also namedropped Terranigma in a previous interview which I find deeply intriguing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

rohan posted:

She’s not wrong about FFIX and she’s also namedropped Terranigma in a previous interview which I find deeply intriguing.

Terranigma had *such* an opening musical theme, goddamn

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

The Kingdom Hearts acknowledgement makes me surer than ever that Nona is a Roxas situation.

I also thought the Priority List of POVs was really interesting, especially in that Nona's POV comes after Gideon's and I guess I really want more context on that. It all hinges on WHO Nona actually is and what that means for the story going forward.

The fact that Nona wasn't initially supposed to have her own book and how her importance to the story evolved to the point where she couldn't just be contained to the epilouge of Harrow and the beginning of Alecto is so interesting and exciting.

So yeah, kind of like Roxas. I absolutely loved her analogy to the beginning of FFIX, but again, I'm pretty biased

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Happy Landfill posted:

It all hinges on WHO Nona actually is and what that means for the story going forward.

I figured this wasn't a mystery and that she's just a brokebrained Alecto. Could be wrong, though :shrug:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Three weeks to go.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

I figured this wasn't a mystery and that she's just a brokebrained Alecto. Could be wrong, though :shrug:

I think so, too? My other theory, that I'm pretty attached to, is brokebrained Gideon piloting Harrow's body. I'm definitely willing to be wrong, obviously. We won't know for sure until we actually read it.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Happy Landfill posted:

I think so, too? My other theory, that I'm pretty attached to, is brokebrained Gideon piloting Harrow's body. I'm definitely willing to be wrong, obviously. We won't know for sure until we actually read it.
I’m not sure it can be anything but this, given the sample chapter’s reference to Nona’s hair growing unusually quickly.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
It would also make sense that her caretakers, given the context, would give her the name she has as a shorthand of Nonagesimus.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone have vector images for house skulls or know where to find? I wanna try 3d printing something

e: PoC

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Keret posted:

It would also make sense that her caretakers, given the context, would give her the name she has as a shorthand of Nonagesimus.

Or a shorthand for both NOnagesimus and NAv. I came across this one on Tumblr and I really liked the idea, but the Amazon Look Inside preview of one of the earlier chapters reveals the reason for Nona's name. But again, who knows! We'll find out more in a couple of weeks :downs: