Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

GLEAT show is better tho

That's probably right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Stall_19 posted:

Cool I was curious about how other events in Japan were doing. Seems like everything is down but wrestling more so than other major sports.

Here's how the top 7 promotions are doing compared to how they were in 2019. Didn't realize how hard All Japan got hit, yikes.

Njpw has gone from about 55 % of ticket sales from the big 7 promotions to about 48%. Bushiroad however is around 63 % in 2022. They are quite good at promoting pro wrestling

They are in a pretty strong position with njpw starting to get some decent growth this year.

Ajpw got absolutely ruined by the pandemic. They were doing ok in 2019 relative to the other not njpw promotions. Even accounting for less shows they have had a lot of momentum snuffed out

DDT has been struggling for a long time. They've not actually grown under cyberagent. Sure a lot of that has been during the pandemic but they are clearly less relevant now than basically ever

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 24, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Stardom up 207%.

:stare:

So is there any chance that New Japan gets bundled in with the Stardom World subscription instead of the other way around? :haw:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It really is absurd how few shows All Japan have been running relative to their 2019: 139 shows in one year compared to 154 since the no fan era began about 2 & a half years ago. They've retreated to almost a Tokyo metro area show at this point, albeit with an appearance in Nagoya & Osaka every 2nd tour. Haven't made it to Kyushyu since September last year, they did go to Hokkaido this year.

And yet they have outdrawn New Japan in Korakuen quite a few times.

This is do know: if Kento gets hurt for a year I'd dread to imagine how the company survives

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean if you want your New Japan shows uploaded two days late and match by match then yeah go ahead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I mean if you want your New Japan shows uploaded two days late and match by match then yeah go ahead

Would suit me fine tbh, make it easier to skip the uninteresting matches, plus I'm already running a month behind

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Maya Fukuda rules. She's one of my favourite underdogs in wrestling and her feud with Chihiro is incredible monster vs rookie wrestling. AWG wins again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I absolutely love they just put this match together because someone went "we've got Hayato Tamura, & hey, here's 2 guys who each have part of his name as their name!"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HAYATO has gotten some really loud slaps and chops, rules

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dan Tamura would probably not be a junior if he weren't in AJPW huh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Considering how great their tenderised chests look after chop exchanges, with the reddening, you'd think more wrestlers would forgo the tanning & go for the pasty white look

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The jackhammer is a very cool move

Also a GLEAT guy won over an outsider for the 2nd show in a row!!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
This is my first time watching GLEAT and I'm enjoying the show despite not being familiar with the performers, the three-way that just ended was a blast.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This is my first time watching GLEAT and I'm enjoying the show despite not being familiar with the performers, the three-way that just ended was a blast.

Dan Tamura & Rising HAYATO are both All Japan guys, Hayato Tamura is a GLEAT guy who started with TAKA Michinoku's Just Tap Out group before quickly graduating to ZERO1 & now he's in GLEAT & is cool & good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I love a good BULK ORCHESTRA vs STRONGHEARTS match. Irie & Onitsuka are a fun pairing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kayfabe wise, Bulk Orchestra might be the dumbest collection of people in pro wrestling. (out of kayfabe it's almost certainly United Empire between Ospreay, TJP, and Henare)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Quiet Storm has a Bible verse over his junk, that's an interesting aesthetic choice.

I have a real soft spot for Quiet Storm, even if it makes me sad he doesn't yell STORM CRADLE DRIVER like he did 20 years ago on US indies

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Kayfabe wise, Bulk Orchestra might be the dumbest collection of people in pro wrestling. (out of kayfabe it's almost certainly United Empire between Ospreay, TJP, and Henare)

Yeah love my big dumb meatheads.

Also, consider STARS. Sure, it's almost all Mayu but that's still a lot of dumb

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Flamita good

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Neat finish to a fun match, I don't think I've ever seen a powerbomb out of the Muscle Buster setup before.

forkboy84 posted:

Dan Tamura & Rising HAYATO are both All Japan guys, Hayato Tamura is a GLEAT guy who started with TAKA Michinoku's Just Tap Out group before quickly graduating to ZERO1 & now he's in GLEAT & is cool & good.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I really love the GLEAT music

Oh poo poo, GLEAT Ver.4 on New Years Eve Eve will be a banger, guaranteed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BANDITO gently caress YEAH

Also Komander has been getting rave reviews from Dean on DVDVR who manages to watch like twice as much wrestling as me

Kasai & Takeda vs BULK boys will also be loving cool

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kasai and Takeda vs Bulk Orchestra lmao

Idiots gonna die

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nothing about GLEAT really makes sense, I'm sure they are burning through money but gently caress man, while it lasts it rules

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
From the sound of it for tonight's cheering show DDT's audience is majority women

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol Joey joking that AEW was supposed to teach him how to find the hard cam after the ref has to turn him around

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It's really hard to decide what the weirdest entrance is when crowds can't cheer but it's definitely between Tetsuya Naito, Jun Kasai and Kento Miyahara

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's really hard to decide what the weirdest entrance is when crowds can't cheer but it's definitely between Tetsuya Naito, Jun Kasai and Kento Miyahara

I loving desperately need Masaaki Mochizuki with the crowd able to yell "Mochi!" I've watched so much Kento in the past 2 years that I'm honestly really used to the no cheer reaction to his entrance even if at home I'm screaming KENTO KENTO in my head

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Kento's clapping bit and making sure everyone is doing it is good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kento is such a great guy to put in with younger guys. He's a very giving ace, made Izuchi look great hanging with him.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

He has Tanahashi's sense of when to heel it up too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KAZMA & Kawakami are definitely the least dumb jocks in the dumb jock meathead faction

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh no, the Bulk explodes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hayato definitely dumb as hell to choose Check to hatch this plot with and not Quiet Storm

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

And here comes a top 5 wrestler of the year

Actually 3 of my top 5 have been on this show, just needed Nomura & Aoyagi for the whole set.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Douki is a maniac

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

God that German ruled

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Harimao just got even better. The sumo boy has joined
https://twitter.com/ddtproENG/status/1562406223768702976

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What a loving match. Push DOUKI coward Gedo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was a great show, thanks to GWB for posting about it as I likely wouldn't have seen it otherwise.