Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

it won't be a slow boil, it will be the final contradiction of something that has been happening a long time, largely the progressive conglomeration and monopolization of the pub industry. wetherspoons baby ultimately, and they'll keep the lights on i guarantee it.
i think that the point was that they're turning up the heat too fast.

Regarde Aduck posted:

no they all have to say that or the weird people on question time go really red

the only person that hosed this up was Corbyn who should have just said 'yeah ok i'll push the button whatever'

asking the potential PM whether they'd totally nuke the world for britane has become a kind of tradition thanks to our psychotic press
should have said he already had a list of capitals he wanted to nuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mr corbyn could you name any?

"washington dc, berlin, london"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i think that the point was that they're turning up the heat too fast.

my point is they were never trying. they don't want to gradually idk remove access to pubs, the weird weatherspoons man wants every pound spent at a pub to be spent in his. doing a very good job thus far, probably some of the most cost effective open lobbying i can think of in my lifetime actually

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Looking forward to the government bailing out only spoons allowing it to finally buy up literally every pub in the country

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Aren’t pubs owned by breweries or something? Someone tried to explain it to me once.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/BenGartside/status/1562446405910016004

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

there was a series of books about a post nuked UK set in Scotland where there was nationalised beer rations or something. I'm gonna have to go look these up now.

Sarah Connor but she's going :yeshaha: at judgment day

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we had nationalized pub services in the UK up until the 70s, actually

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, sign of a strong leader.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

CoolCab posted:

we had nationalized pub services in the UK up until the 70s, actually

I am extremely interested in knowing more about this

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

starmer to centralize popularity and approval ratings

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

all these corbynites favour wealth redistribution, but for some reason theyre up in arms when starmer proposes fuckup redistribution

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Fortaleza posted:

I am extremely interested in knowing more about this

sure. i think this was the most intense example, it happened in a couple of other munitions places too. originally more for social control than anything else, it progressively became about providing a socialized alternative to the profit driven options which would serve for the greater good of the community, individuals and the collective and as such was of course abolished by parliament in 1971.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

what do you suggest, that she refuse to answer like infamous antisemite Jeremy Corbyn?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's an interesting example for privatization given it was completely ideological- the pubs were making profit and remained incredibly popular, despite years of underinvestment if you hear the old commies round here describe it. the reason for nationalization wasn't ideological either, that found it was so impossible to get private interests to stop loving selling hard alcohol to people who handle nitroglycerin during work hours it was easier to simply remove them from the equation all together is key i think. and like, allegedly, again as it's told, the experimental nature of the project attempting to infuse the experiment with things other than consuming alcohol extremely heavily influenced "pub culture" to this day with much more of a focus on being a community hub rather than a series of independent tables like a normal bar.

the tories sold them to the beer companies for pennies on the pound after the legislation and what a surprise they've been left to decay with the very occasional cheap refit when poo poo is literally falling apart. they've reverted almost completely back to bars too, a lot of the "pub" culture has moved away from the city almost completely due to rents. electricity will likely finish the job except for tourist joints.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's so cool. communal kitchens should have nickel beer night

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Found the series/author and lmao
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0340717033?ref_=dbs_m_mng_wam_calw_thcv_2&storeType=ebooks

quote:

By 2025, Britain has split into independent city-states, with Edinburgh as the "perfect city." Everything from electricity to sex is rationed, and a zero crime level has been achieved at the cost of individualism. "Quint" is a quintessential PI, whose existence is justified by sudden violence and relegated to the dregs when the effects of global warming hit Edinburgh. With water rationed, citizens are mindlessly devoted to two things: the year-round tourist festival and the weekly lottery (Grand Prize: a five-minute shower per week for a month). The mundane peace is shattered with the death of a demoted "auxiliary", or policeman, found in the Water of Leith. The only clue is a bottle of lethal contraband whisky and, as the body count rises, Quint must deal with duplicity, corruption and a ruthless conspiracy.

2025 seemed a long way away in 1999!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I just had a think, and creating a complete monopoly on a specific service is actually a pretty good idea. Means you only have to nationalize a single rear end in a top hat's capital, rather than "stealing" it from thousands of small business owners.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just had a think, and creating a complete monopoly on a specific service is actually a pretty good idea. Means you only have to nationalize a single rear end in a top hat's capital, rather than "stealing" it from thousands of small business owners.

it's been making US marxists salivate over amazon yeah

bezos already did the hard work

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i lolled at "the year-round tourist festival"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/ionewells/status/1562444008835584000

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

i say swears online posted:

it's been making US marxists salivate over amazon yeah

bezos already did the hard work
imagining the different states resulting from communism growing out of Amazon and Wetherspoons respectively

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

CoolCab posted:

it's an interesting example for privatization given it was completely ideological- the pubs were making profit and remained incredibly popular, despite years of underinvestment if you hear the old commies round here describe it. the reason for nationalization wasn't ideological either, that found it was so impossible to get private interests to stop loving selling hard alcohol to people who handle nitroglycerin during work hours it was easier to simply remove them from the equation all together is key i think. and like, allegedly, again as it's told, the experimental nature of the project attempting to infuse the experiment with things other than consuming alcohol extremely heavily influenced "pub culture" to this day with much more of a focus on being a community hub rather than a series of independent tables like a normal bar.

the tories sold them to the beer companies for pennies on the pound after the legislation and what a surprise they've been left to decay with the very occasional cheap refit when poo poo is literally falling apart. they've reverted almost completely back to bars too, a lot of the "pub" culture has moved away from the city almost completely due to rents. electricity will likely finish the job except for tourist joints.

Man that sounds nice. If that's social control then sign me the hell up.

There was a similar impetus here in Portland around the same time since lumber workers were drinking too much and it's a dangerous enough job already. Instead of government control of saloons though one of the lumber magnates paid for a system of public drinking fountains all throughout downtown and gave it to the city. As far as I know it didn't work and people kept drinking until prohibition changed everything but the bronze fountains are beautiful and still around and working. We have a horrific homelessness problem but rest assured everyone's well hydrated at least.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in particular this bit

quote:

The alcohol content of the drink on sale was reduced and prices were increased. New pub managers, effectively civil servants, replaced landlords and were paid a salary with no extra profits available from increasing sales.

solved so many of the problems in a stroke. in the absence of a profit incentive there was no longer a motivation to sell the patrons the most alcohol possible to maximize profits, which still exists. the incentive to reduce consumption instead lead to less profitable avenues like food and reading rooms and social events and such, and overall even the people who lived and drank there mostly wound up preferring paying more for less booze.

always made me wonder how much of the british drinking problem is in fact, like most things, really more a british landlord problem.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You guys would know better than me: Is “households will have to endure X for the sake of foreign policy objective Y” going to work?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
of loving course not lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this country goes into apocalyptic meltdowns because they were asked to wear a cloth mask on the bus, their passport is the wrong colour or there is a line for their holidays. even if there was a population on the planet who would accept "hey, reduce your overall compensation and as such lifestyle by a fifth yearly for the sake of a foreign country" it ain't us.

hell even the refugee scheme is looking at something hilarious and bleakly depressing like 2/3rds thinking about kicking them out. even the people most passionate about that loving boondoggle in april are already moving on.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Frosted Flake posted:

You guys would know better than me: Is “households will have to endure X for the sake of foreign policy objective Y” going to work?

For about 10 minutes. Certain people love to shout about the blitz but only to shout others down rather than engage in personal growth through sacrifice. One photo of someone having fun in a tuxedo and it's all out the window.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

I'm sure only a few months ago I read in the media that : Russia are happy to sell us gas, but we are boldly refusing to buy it from them and pointedly not certifying their pipelines.

It's amazing that the term "political correctness" now means, and only means, saying slurs in the office, and not: Our ability to redefine the past, with an ever more recent horizon.

Not that any of this is the root cause anyway, but instead a distraction from derivatives markets, and crippling privatisation.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

idk about the uk but in otehr EU countries people were boxing cops in the streets over a fuel tax increase like 3 years ago

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Frosted Flake posted:

No but at the same time it's Britain, Bertrand Barère's nation of shopkeepers. gently caress are the British going to do but grumble a bit while their granny freezes to death?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

He really thinks he’s Churchill doesn’t he? At least Churchill was open about the fact he was a bloodthirsty imperialist.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

forkboy84 posted:

No but at the same time it's Britain, Bertrand Barère's nation of shopkeepers. gently caress are the British going to do but grumble a bit while their granny freezes to death?

There's a funny bit in the new Sandman series where Dream meets with an immortal human in a London pub once every hundred years and in 1789 he's like "poo poo it's getting pretty dicey for the nobles in France, I've set up stashes all over the world so when it comes over here I'll be off like a shot" and he then spends the following two centuries becoming even more secure and comfortable

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The person making pancakes on their 5-hob cooker doesn't need an energy rebate :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That is a gently caress ton of pancakes too. 3 large pancakes in and that gigantic bowl is still half full of batter

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That's like 20 pancakes who the gently caress are they cooking for?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Microplastics posted:

That's like 20 pancakes who the gently caress are they cooking for?

the pancake committee of west wensleydaletonshire

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

love a 4 inch pancake which isn’t even cooked in the centre me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Jel Shaker posted:

love a 4 inch pancake which isn’t even cooked in the centre me

Cooking all the way through wastes energy.