Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

What if Yamato didn't join because Oda wanted Film Red to be possibly canon, and since Yamato isn't in the film he needed to bench him until after the movie could happen.
i think the producer said it wasnt canon but who knows, oda sure went out of his way to go 'btw theres a shanks movie coming out' in the actual manga. shiki got to be mentioned in the manga but they never mentioned z or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I imagine the movies work such that the events dont happen but the important backstory bits did.

now that i've said that, next arc will just be a retelling of Film Red

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My assumption is that Yamato, Katakuri, and Bartolomeo are going to be like generals to the Straw Hat fleet and handle stuff worldwide while the actual crew is doing stuff with the center of the world/one piece/big hat

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m not sure if any of the characters or backstory for the films between Strong World and Red are canon since they were never talked about in the manga, but Shiki and Uta definitely are. I wonder if we’ll see more of Shiki once we get to learn more about the Rocks pirates.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've only gotten to Strong World of the recent movies, but I can totally believe that in manga canon, Shiki was up to everything he was but before he could start attacking West Blue, someone like Kid accidentally found him and wiped him out.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i'll be fully honest i do not even remotely give a poo poo about uta or film red

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I do. It seems hype

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Might be off base but with all the advertising and stuff Film Red has gotten I feel like it's trying to aim for the standard the modern Dragon Ball movies have set, and they're all real solid movies so that's pretty exciting. Like, I guess since Strong World the OP movies have been trying to go bigger and more dramatic than the earlier ones but Film Red still feels like it's getting some extra attention.

Also, Shanks is cool. Excited for Shanks stuff.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

mabels big day posted:

I reread the last bit of wano with Gear 5 vs Kaido, and I gotta say, despite my reservations about the Kaido flashback, reading it all at once I can see why it was like that. The only really important thing to get in that moment was that in the end Kaido truly does only believe in strength, and that Joyboy would be the one to beat him. Personally, I wanted a lot more. Obviously I want to know as much as possible about a character like Kaido. And I expected that level of detail too. It's still personally disappointing, but now I can see that we at least got the important takeaway from the flashback for the moment that Luffy defeats him.

I'm sold on the idea that reading weekly can be a bigger detriment than reading all at once is, because the wait between weeks gets you hyperfocused on your own expectations and desires for the story, and you can miss the bigger picture.

i waited on the arc to finish from when luffy gets thrown into the sea, then did a full arc reread, and its true. reading it all at once is extremely win and makes you realise: wano is one of the best arcs ever :cheersL

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Eggplant Squire posted:

The moment was lost on me since he then immediately brutalized the cooks that made said donuts for accidentally seeing it.

yourte right. every character should be extremely good and have no depth or other factors to them. we shoudlnt have to think abou tthings or see characters that arent presented in the most blinding possible black and white only morality. agreed 1000%.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbp posted:

i'll be fully honest i do not even remotely give a poo poo about uta or film red
i dont really care about the movie but ado is an extremely talented singer and the songs are good

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i'm a massive dbz fan and wasn't able to get too excited about thebroly movie either

i guess rn the only thing that i want from one piece is more Main Plot Lore. i feel it is time and the rest is distractions

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I do. It seems hype

I saw it! It's a good movie!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I was pretty hyped for the Broly movie and especially Superhero so I hope Film Red is just as good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbp posted:

i'm a massive dbz fan and wasn't able to get too excited about thebroly movie either

i guess rn the only thing that i want from one piece is more Main Plot Lore. i feel it is time and the rest is distractions

Lore is perhaps the thing i'm least interested in lol.

Love the distractions and small moments

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stux posted:

yourte right. every character should be extremely good and have no depth or other factors to them. we shoudlnt have to think abou tthings or see characters that arent presented in the most blinding possible black and white only morality. agreed 1000%.

Thanks I'm glad I won you over

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One Piece.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

One Piece... good.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
for me to poop on

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I like anime movies because nothing really matters and they do the big moves I like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I like anime movies because nothing really matters and they do the big moves I like.

And I'm doing the moves along with them at the same time, hell yeah

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

What if Yamato didn't join because Oda wanted Film Red to be possibly canon, and since Yamato isn't in the film he needed to bench him until after the movie could happen.

I had the same thought. But the wiki claims that Big Mom is still alive in Film Red, so maybe not.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm watching the filler episodes leading up to the movie now, and...did 7-year-old Luffy just beat Monster? Granted, Monster could have gotten stronger over time, just like Luffy (and presumably Shanks) did, but still, it's a weird dehyping of the critter that will probably be getting a big fight against Chopper in a couple years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how long do they plan to keep this filler arc in the anime going? The young Uta/Luffy episodes are done but now they seem to be moving on to a story about Shanks and Koby

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm watching the filler episodes leading up to the movie now, and...did 7-year-old Luffy just beat Monster? Granted, Monster could have gotten stronger over time, just like Luffy (and presumably Shanks) did, but still, it's a weird dehyping of the critter that will probably be getting a big fight against Chopper in a couple years.

He’s just a monkey.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how long do they plan to keep this filler arc in the anime going? The young Uta/Luffy episodes are done but now they seem to be moving on to a story about Shanks and Koby

Wait, is the idea that Shanks and Coby interacted at some point before the split second when Shanks blocked Akainu's attack, or after? Because I'm not sure when they could have meaningfully interacted beyond that one moment.

Anyway, I do like the way the filler arc gets pre-Gum Gum Luffy's characterization right. He had some similar traits to his current self (wanting to go on adventures, mostly), but he was a self-serious macho brat back then. Having a flashback like this now, after the Nika reveal in the manga and I guess shortly before it in the anime, calls attention (perhaps unintentionally) to a rather disturbing ambiguity: how much of Luffy's change in attitude was due to Shanks' good example, and how much was the Devil Fruit affecting his personality?

Also, it just occurred to be that the Uta backstory explains why Luffy was so obsessed with recruiting a musician.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, is the idea that Shanks and Coby interacted at some point before the split second when Shanks blocked Akainu's attack, or after? Because I'm not sure when they could have meaningfully interacted beyond that one moment.

Anyway, I do like the way the filler arc gets pre-Gum Gum Luffy's characterization right. He had some similar traits to his current self (wanting to go on adventures, mostly), but he was a self-serious macho brat back then. Having a flashback like this now, after the Nika reveal in the manga and I guess shortly before it in the anime, calls attention (perhaps unintentionally) to a rather disturbing ambiguity: how much of Luffy's change in attitude was due to Shanks' good example, and how much was the Devil Fruit affecting his personality?

Also, it just occurred to be that the Uta backstory explains why Luffy was so obsessed with recruiting a musician.

They were both just at mariejois

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

The episode doesn’t air until this weekend so no idea, I’m just going by what I saw in the preview (though it appears to be another flashback at any rate since the latter looks a bit younger)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He’s just a monkey.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Monster#Abilities_and_Powers

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I had the same thought. But the wiki claims that Big Mom is still alive in Film Red, so maybe not.

Big Mom is in it (albeit briefly) but Jinbei is a full crew member, Red is definitely deep in Anime Movie Continuity

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Oda… Ado…

Oda/Ado does it again!!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I didn't know anything about Ado in the first place, but the songs and music videos released as part of the build up to the Film Red movie have been great.

Plus I think it's awesome to see my man Taniguchi going back to work on One Piece after over 20 years and especially getting a project with an actual budget. It's worth being aware that it's a fairly different type of One Piece movie though...which I'd consider a good thing, even if opinions may vary depending on your interests.

It's also curious how the "filler" episodes were meant to serve as a tie-in for Film Red, but due to the Toei hack causing broadcasting delays, most people in Japan went to see the movie without them.

wielder fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 24, 2022

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ado is a super impressive young vocalist.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
New theory: Usopp's final battle will be against the only people who can kill a god: a JRPG party.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I always liked the theory that Shanks was going to fulfill the Joyboy prophecy by either taking the Nika fruit for himself or giving it to Roger's son who also lived on Dawn Island at the time; the accident at the bar caused Shanks to rewrite his plan on the fly and take a bet on the random scrappy kid who was always hanging around town, perhaps directly trying to influence him (with the help of people like Rayleigh) towards the path of unlocking the fruit's potential by creating a dream for Luffy via his own actions. Fits nicely with the "was it destiny or did the person will it into existence?" battle that has gone on throughout the comic.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I missed the Katakuri discussion but I felt it important for me to come in and say that he rules and he's probably my favorite new OP character of the last ten years to the point that I made myself a Katakuri cosplay.

Anyway that's my review of the donut guy I hope you guys enjoyed reading that while we wait for the chapter.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I missed the Katakuri discussion but I felt it important for me to come in and say that he rules and he's probably my favorite new OP character of the last ten years to the point that I made myself a Katakuri cosplay.

Anyway that's my review of the donut guy I hope you guys enjoyed reading that while we wait for the chapter.

Post yr jaw so we can all laugh at you

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You know I think I'd vibe with living in Totto Land. Cool place. Live in the outskirts somewhere, eat rocks and grass. Why not?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Terper posted:

You know I think I'd vibe with living in Totto Land. Cool place. Live in the outskirts somewhere, eat rocks and grass. Why not?

Biggest con I'd say is to have your lifespan taxed so Big Mom can make a loving talking teacup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also related to that, Linlin really is built differently because she's like as old as Whitebeard, had over fifty kids and used parts of her soul to make four catastrophic powerful homies but still hasn't shown any signs of losing vitality